New Course 'Starter Pack'

Ideas for DG development, good news stories, requests for help etc
PaulH

New Course 'Starter Pack'

Post by PaulH » Mon Dec 12, 2016 2:22 pm

I've been mulling over the idea of trying to get a new course set up in the Newcastle / Tyne and Wear area. Not wanting to tread on the toes of Burnlaw, the game up here needs a QP, Croyden, Essex type facility that is within easy reach of public transport and easy to find. There are a few venues with great potential; some private land, some council controlled.

My question to the forum is is there a generic BDGA document that has been generated during previous course developments which will answer the initial concerns coming from authorities responsible for the land where there is potential to set these courses up? A document which basically sells the sport of DG in the UK, highlights the benefits to a local authority and allays fears a ?

Off the top of my head, this is a list of questions I would want answered when considering a new course, and I would imagine that these questions will have been common across all the public access courses so far in the UK. Some answers are obviously venue specific, but I'd like to think the governing body can provide guidance on the majority.

Public liability insurance?
Business model - what will it cost? What will it generate?
Set-up costs and running costs?
Damage to property, trees and land?
Participation of local groups - Scouts, schools, disabilities etc
Participation numbers?
Vandalism?
Measures taken to ensure safety of players and public?
What are the benefits to the landowner?

This is nowhere near extensive, if anyone has experience of any other hoops they've had to jump through I would like to hear about it.

LostMeow

Re: New Course 'Starter Pack'

Post by LostMeow » Wed Dec 14, 2016 1:09 pm

Hi Paul,

it is something we have talked about trying to produce but haven't managed to yet - partly because all that expertise is already out there in the brains of the course installers - who you would probably ultimately need to get in touch with to order baskets etc.

If you asked those questions to Rich Hatton, Nige, Seamus, Chris OB & Dan Whiteman I'm sure they would have very informative answers.
Tom
ND

LostMeow

Post by LostMeow » Wed Dec 14, 2016 1:12 pm

Just realised you may not be the 'Paul H' I'm thinking of and therefore might not know who all those people are! For reference, the disc golf course installers currently operating in the UK, that the BDGA is aware of, are: (in alphabetical order)

Catch The Spirit - Chris O’Brien chris@catchthespirit.co.uk
Disc Golf UK - Rich Hatton <richard@discgolfuk.com>
DiscZoo - Nige Williams | Disc Zoo <nige@disczoo.com>
Launch Disc Golf - Dan Whiteman dan@launchdiscgolf.co.uk
Reboot Disc Golf - Seamus Scanlon <rebootdiscgolf@gmail.com>
Tom
ND

PaulH

Post by PaulH » Wed Dec 14, 2016 8:28 pm

No problem, thanks Tom. Like I say, mulling over the idea of approaching local authorities, but want to answer their questions before they've even thought of them.
I've spoke with Chris about it and I'm in touch with Seamus so I'll let the idea bubble around a little longer and look to pull something together in the new year.