Announcement 131116

SueU

Re: Announcement 131116

Post by SueU » Thu Dec 08, 2016 9:40 pm

The other potential benefit of knowing early is that players have time to practice and play - a mix of practice and competitive rounds - so should improve and ideally be at their best for the competition.

I think for competitions abroad selection 8 months may be better but I don't know how far in advance dates are known

SueU

Post by SueU » Thu Dec 08, 2016 9:44 pm

Have I missed something - where do I find information on the WTDGC 2017 including location and dates please?
I assume this stands for World Disc Golf Team Championships ......

bruce

Post by bruce » Thu Dec 08, 2016 9:52 pm

seamus wrote:
LostMeow wrote:What do people think? Where's the right balance?
I'm waiting on an answer from Phil regarding Bdga tournament sanctioning, plus I want someone else to pipe up first so I tell them they're wrong. Cheers
:D My view is that I think picking a player in form far enough in advance of the event that they can a) plan & budget to attend, and b) train specifically to peak for the event, is far preferable than picking a form player near the time
[Standard post disclaimer] My posts are never intended to undermine the work of the Board or individuals putting in effort to grow the sport, they are my honest thoughts on the best ways to grow the game

BDGA: 145
PDGA: 8824

LostMeow

Post by LostMeow » Thu Dec 08, 2016 10:01 pm

seamus wrote:I want someone else to pipe up first so I tell them they're wrong. Cheers
Think I've missed the joke here somewhere. :roll:

Anyway, so is the consensus more like 8 months then?
Tom
ND

seamus

Post by seamus » Fri Dec 09, 2016 7:48 am

wrong.
Back to back, chicken shack.

ReBoot Disc Golf
www.rebootdiscgolf.com

LostMeow

Post by LostMeow » Fri Dec 09, 2016 8:20 am

seamus wrote:wrong.
Thanks then.
Tom
ND

seamus

Post by seamus » Fri Dec 09, 2016 9:58 am

Sorry I couldn't resist.

Tom I believe you are correct in saying the last Pdga rating update in 2017 (or first in 2018) should be used to to form an ordered list of players to be invited. Bruce I believe you are correct in that there is no purely objective system to form a team in that available roster positions need to be confirmed first. What I would enjoy seeing accomplished is a statement on how this selection will progress.
I would like to say there was nothing wrong with the team Charlie put together except for the Junior selection. Taking juniors so they will perform better at a later date is akin to taking me now so I will potentially place higher as a Grandmaster, there is no difference. If you really want to motivate and retain juniors (as we know energy is wasted on the youth) set the bar higher, there are 4+ juniors among us who could really develop beyond the current level of UK disc golf.
As an example of setting a high attainable bar, if an MJ1 can achieve a 950+ rating not only give them a spot on the 2018 Edgc team but use development funds to purchase their airfare or a hotel night. If there are no 950 rated Juniors use the Pdga ratings list generated in January 2018(+/-) and invite the next available player regardless of division and work to a lower rating from there.
Juniors will have an opportunity to strut their stuff at both Euro Tours, The British Open, The British Championships (?) and if need be add a U18 Junior title to Nationals. I'd be happy to chip in for a Junior Nationals trophy.

ReBoot Disc Golf
www.rebootdiscgolf.com

LostMeow

Post by LostMeow » Fri Dec 09, 2016 12:09 pm

seamus wrote:Taking juniors so they will perform better at a later date is akin to taking me now so I will potentially place higher as a Grandmaster, there is no difference.
Afraid I'm going to have to disagree with that. It is my strong opinion that young people have far more potential to develop, as they grow and learn, than adults. I see evidence of this all around me. It is personally important to me that we make sure there are opportunities for juniors to learn and develop in the sport.
Tom
ND

seamus

Post by seamus » Fri Dec 09, 2016 3:41 pm

LostMeow wrote:
seamus wrote:Taking juniors so they will perform better at a later date is akin to taking me now so I will potentially place higher as a Grandmaster, there is no difference.
Afraid I'm going to have to disagree with that. It is my strong opinion that young people have far more potential to develop, as they grow and learn, than adults. I see evidence of this all around me. It is personally important to me that we make sure there are opportunities for juniors to learn and develop in the sport.
I'm saying any player rated 950(ish) regardless of age or division has a proven track record of commitment to our sport. I question the Junior players "ability to commit" not "potential to develop".
A Junior player would get potentially as much if not more of an opportunity to develop, grow and learn disc golf as a caddy in a high level event such as Edgc, Euro Pro Tour or DGWT. Cheers

ReBoot Disc Golf
www.rebootdiscgolf.com