Disc names they *should* have used

Off topic chat! / Point out the baggers!
Post Reply
User avatar
TheGroover
Posts: 477
Joined: Mon Nov 07, 2005 8:26 am
Location: Oxford
Contact:

Disc names they *should* have used

Post by TheGroover » Thu Sep 28, 2006 1:11 pm

What disc names should Innova et al be using?

It's no use using a disc called the Surge when you've got a weeny arm. Or a Chain Slammer when you're awful at putting. So, what names should they be using? [and what marketing strap line would they have?]

I give you the following drivers:
Worm Burner
Tree Hugger
Deep Blue
The Slug


And my putter:
The Fly-By

Anyone else got any better ideas? Maybe the good ones will end up in INFlight.

Andy
----------------
Keep up to date with Oxford's summer league...
Oxdisc blog: http://oxdisc.blogspot.com

bruce
Posts: 2581
Joined: Thu Oct 27, 2005 4:13 pm
Location: Leamington Spa
Contact:

Post by bruce » Thu Sep 28, 2006 1:25 pm

Mid-Range

The Blunderbuss

From Wikipedia, I'm sure you could modify this into a discgolf 'marketing' spiel...:lol:
Most of these weapons are mid-sized, being smaller than most shoulder-fired arms, but larger than a pistol. Although fitted with a butt, the dimensions suggest that most were not really intended to be fired from the shoulder and were instead fired from the hip.
By its nature, the blunderbuss is not a very precise weapon.Although it was sometimes used in a military setting, it was more effective when the goal was not to hit a specific target, but rather any one of multiple targets, such as for crowd control. During combat, the blunderbuss was a very unpredictable weapon; it could hit an entire group of enemy soldiers or miss all of them. The blunderbuss thus became a byword for inaccurate marksmanship in any field. As well, the word itself came to mean "a clumsy or stupid person".
[Standard post disclaimer] My posts are never intended to undermine the work of the Board or individuals putting in effort to grow the sport, they are my honest thoughts on the best ways to grow the game

BDGA: 145
PDGA: 8824

User avatar
Jester
Posts: 1782
Joined: Tue Nov 08, 2005 10:10 am

Post by Jester » Thu Sep 28, 2006 1:40 pm

The 'Fir F***s Sake' might get some use in my game. ;o)
Jester
BDGA #128
PDGA #8817
------------------------------------------------------
Croydon DGC: Hyzer Cup Champions 08/09, 13/14

User avatar
TheGroover
Posts: 477
Joined: Mon Nov 07, 2005 8:26 am
Location: Oxford
Contact:

Post by TheGroover » Thu Sep 28, 2006 2:11 pm

bruce wrote:Mid-Range

The Blunderbuss

From Wikipedia, I'm sure you could modify this into a discgolf 'marketing' spiel...:lol:
Most of these weapons are mid-sized, being smaller than most shoulder-fired arms, but larger than a pistol. Although fitted with a butt, the dimensions suggest that most were not really intended to be fired from the shoulder and were instead fired from the hip.
By its nature, the blunderbuss is not a very precise weapon.Although it was sometimes used in a military setting, it was more effective when the goal was not to hit a specific target, but rather any one of multiple targets, such as for crowd control. During combat, the blunderbuss was a very unpredictable weapon; it could hit an entire group of enemy soldiers or miss all of them. The blunderbuss thus became a byword for inaccurate marksmanship in any field. As well, the word itself came to mean "a clumsy or stupid person".
:D :D
i like that one
----------------
Keep up to date with Oxford's summer league...
Oxdisc blog: http://oxdisc.blogspot.com

User avatar
Crabmonkie
Posts: 29
Joined: Wed Sep 06, 2006 7:15 am

Post by Crabmonkie » Thu Sep 28, 2006 6:57 pm

A few discs in regards to my own experience

The Cloaker, a unique disc that although being hotpink still seems to disappear without a trace in the shortest of undergrowth.

flip n role, aka recreational disc, a disc that although on the surface, seems a simple well balanced object, turns out to die and roll without explanation, useful in some circumstances, but sadly not yet PDGA approved.

And finally, the quarterC, a distant cousin of the discwing monster, that although you put every ounce of strength and skill into the huck still seems to end up at the JT (please don't hurt me jonny)
Do not fear the lefties, they are a caring breed

User avatar
TheGroover
Posts: 477
Joined: Mon Nov 07, 2005 8:26 am
Location: Oxford
Contact:

Post by TheGroover » Thu Sep 28, 2006 8:05 pm

The Flapper - guaranteed to wobble throughout its flight duration.

The all-new Innova Slob - not sure what that would do, but i'm sure it would be rubbish, slow, and heavy.
----------------
Keep up to date with Oxford's summer league...
Oxdisc blog: http://oxdisc.blogspot.com

User avatar
Nige
Posts: 85
Joined: Wed Oct 26, 2005 9:49 am
Location: Shropshire
Contact:

Post by Nige » Sat Sep 30, 2006 10:15 am

Us vegetarians have been crying out for a range of discs that aren't named after nasty carnivores...

the DX Broccoli
Elite-X Aubergine
Cruiseline Cabbage
ESP Cauilflower
Star Sprout
Pro potato

There's a lot of mileage in fruit too :)

User avatar
Village
Posts: 1024
Joined: Mon Nov 07, 2005 1:54 pm
Location: I could tell you, but then I'd have to kill you

Post by Village » Mon Oct 02, 2006 12:34 pm

Nige wrote:Us vegetarians have been crying out for a range of discs that aren't named after nasty carnivores...

the DX Broccoli
Elite-X Aubergine
Cruiseline Cabbage
ESP Cauilflower
Star Sprout
Pro potato

There's a lot of mileage in fruit too :)
Shouldn't the last veg disc be the Pro tato?......

I'll get be coat....
The worst thing about having a failing memory is.....no, its gone...

Running with scissors since 1977

BDGA 173 PDGA 8831

User avatar
West
Posts: 2624
Joined: Thu Oct 27, 2005 4:51 pm
Location: Leamington Spa, UK

Post by West » Mon Oct 02, 2006 12:45 pm

Nige wrote:There's a lot of mileage in fruit too :)
Champion Pineapple
DX Banana - it bends like a dream, gaurenteed never to fly straight
Pro Mango
Cruiseline Coconut - will plumet from a tree so will never get stuck, but will also float as u watch it drift out to sea
Star Fruit :twisted:

Or more Sea life ...

Champion Sea Cucumber
DX Molosuc
Cruiseline Crustatian
Pro Enenimy
Star Fish

.. ok, i'll stop now :twisted:
"West"
PDGA: #8823
BDGA: #250
Twitter: @WestDiscGolf
BDGA DoC 2007 - 2011

User avatar
madfrolfer
Posts: 137
Joined: Fri Oct 28, 2005 1:07 pm
Location: Cambridge
Contact:

Post by madfrolfer » Mon Oct 02, 2006 7:24 pm

West wrote:.. ok, i'll stop now :twisted:
I think that would be best. :lol:
Frolf it up!!!!
http://www.Discology.co.uk
http://www.TwistedFlyer.com
http://www.ESSEXDISCGOLF.CO.UK

Trevor
Posts: 68
Joined: Wed Sep 27, 2006 4:43 pm
Location: In front of my computer

Post by Trevor » Tue Oct 03, 2006 6:16 pm

Pro Tato - best one yet although initial reviews say its prone to - yes you guessed it - chipping.

From the obscure world of forestry and timber

Adze - will shave shots off your score
Cant Hook - great anhyzer disc
Peavy - ditto but with a pointyier rim profile
Froe - will split the fairway every time


A putter called Chastity - never goes through the chains.

User avatar
West
Posts: 2624
Joined: Thu Oct 27, 2005 4:51 pm
Location: Leamington Spa, UK

Post by West » Tue Oct 03, 2006 7:23 pm

madfrolfer wrote:
West wrote:.. ok, i'll stop now :twisted:
I think that would be best. :lol:
:lol: 8) :twisted:
"West"
PDGA: #8823
BDGA: #250
Twitter: @WestDiscGolf
BDGA DoC 2007 - 2011

User avatar
West
Posts: 2624
Joined: Thu Oct 27, 2005 4:51 pm
Location: Leamington Spa, UK

Post by West » Wed Oct 11, 2006 9:37 pm

Whirl Wind - always blows about, but knows where its going ...


... even if the thrower doesn't :wink:
"West"
PDGA: #8823
BDGA: #250
Twitter: @WestDiscGolf
BDGA DoC 2007 - 2011

User avatar
qprchris
Posts: 16
Joined: Wed Oct 11, 2006 10:48 am
Location: North London

Post by qprchris » Thu Oct 12, 2006 3:21 pm

The Water Magnet (for use at holes 4 and 18 at Colchester?)

Post Reply