Like what?

Off topic chat! / Point out the baggers!
JesseD

Like what?

Post by JesseD » Wed Apr 20, 2011 3:07 pm

:roll:

and where is your sense of humor?
Last edited by JesseD on Wed Apr 20, 2011 3:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
um,,,, ah,,,, um,,, a,,, um,, ah,,,

Steve

Re: Like what?

Post by Steve » Wed Apr 20, 2011 3:09 pm

eh?, have you been drinking Jesse?
[url=http://www.shropdisc.co.uk/]Disc Golf In Shropshire[/url]

[color=red] BDGA # 266
[url=http://www.pdga.org/tournament/playerstats.php?PDGANum=8833&year=2007]PDGA # 8833[/url]
[/color]

rhatton1

Post by rhatton1 » Wed Apr 20, 2011 3:31 pm

its a crossover from the Essex thread.

And it entirely depends what someones idea of inappropriate is.

I can't think of any of Jesses prizes that were in my opinion inapproriate at Spring Fling.
www.discgolfuk.com
richard@discgolfuk.com
Home of the Midlands One Day Series
Talk to us about courses!

DILLIGAF

Post by DILLIGAF » Wed Apr 20, 2011 5:55 pm

Jesse,

I assume your referring to my sense of humour???

With your comment it seems to me as if you are asking a question about Sophie’s views on TDs and the prizes they give with a view that she is being greedy, it seemed defensive yet aggressive hence my response.

Whilst this may not be the case and I am sure you will clarify it for me, this is to me how it reads. That can be a problem with the written word. I have re-read your post with a view that it was humour but I don’t fully get the joke. Maybe a :P or :lol: could helped?? I don’t know. As the post was directed at Sophie we will see if she gets the joke??

As I said, this was not how I read it and felt that my response was fine.

As to my comment ‘was this a sly did possibly but did you give away something inappropriate???’ The sly did only Sophie can answer who that was aimed at, and as for you giving away something inappropriate Rich confirmed you didn’t!
S.S.D.D.

Jester

Post by Jester » Thu Apr 21, 2011 9:08 am

Perhaps Soph would like to calm this potential storm in a teacup with a slightly fuller explanation of her comment?
Jester
BDGA #128
PDGA #8817
------------------------------------------------------
Croydon DGC: Hyzer Cup Champions 08/09, 13/14

ssouth

Post by ssouth » Thu Apr 21, 2011 10:16 am

not understanding the greed point,,., does a minor inappropriate prize mean i sound ungreatful hence greedy,. im not sure ,.,. defiantley not ungrateful or greedy

Has there been minor inappropriate prizes given at some tournaments yes.

Some prizes have been crap in the past.

I think Paul prizes are amazing and if he thought about it im sure he could make small business,.,.selling them to the states. He does a great job!
the comedy legends

rhatton1

Post by rhatton1 » Thu Apr 21, 2011 10:42 am

Could you not just have said that about Pauls and Daves prizes being good?

Was the dig necessary?

There are lot of budgetry constraints running tournaments which mean that unless you have someone to hand who is obviously talented and able to knock up trophies himself then you have to cut back on some prizes to make sure that as a TD you are not out of pocket. Remember prizes are decided on way before you have any idea of a total field and have to be paid for with the thought that people might drop out in the week running up to the event, you have to budget to worst case.

In effect you are knocking a volunteer who gives up (a lot of) their time to run a British Tournament for what end? So you can come and abuse the selection of prizes? I'm sorry that the sky Sports sponsorship hasn't kicked in yet, once it does I'm sure all prizes will be up to your approved standard.

If you have an issue with the prizes given at events and want some form of standardisation email me with a proposal and we will put it forward at the next AGM. Throwing out comments like these on an open forum will only cause division and resentment. They are the sort of comments that make people not want to bother. With an already limited base of people willing to put in the hard work and enthusiasm needed to run an event, alienating them is not a great idea if you want a British Tour to compete in.
www.discgolfuk.com
richard@discgolfuk.com

ssouth

Post by ssouth » Thu Apr 21, 2011 10:59 am

Hatton i didnt mention anyone or any tournament in particular i didnt make this thread?!?! It is other people making sure they get there comment in.

I think i did say the prizes were great,. several times,. the whole tournament was great and a perfect example of what can be done, Dave has the same restraints any Td has!

Dave couldnt have made much profit ethier i think he should be credited for that.

Not going to lie - I have seen people receive prizes this year and in previous years that have shocked me!!
Point made (which i am entitled too) end of!! :-)
the comedy legends

rhatton1

Post by rhatton1 » Thu Apr 21, 2011 12:25 pm

ssouth wrote:Hatton i didnt mention anyone or any tournament in particular i didnt make this thread?!?! It is other people making sure they get there comment in.

I think i did say the prizes were great,. several times,. the whole tournament was great and a perfect example of what can be done, Dave has the same restraints any Td has!

Dave couldnt have made much profit ethier i think he should be credited for that.

Not going to lie - I have seen people receive prizes this year and in previous years that have shocked me!!
Point made (which i am entitled too) end of!! :-)
I don't care who the sly dig (you claim it was one on the Essex thread) was aimed at, there is no need to make one, at all, about any volunteers prizes.

I'm not saying you're not entitled to make a point, I'm saying if you want to keep people running the British Tour then having a dig (not giving constructive feedback on a dedicated thread which would be fine) at volunteers is not the way to do it.

As for Dave having the same restraints, that's not at all true, each tournament is played in very different situations. At Quarry Park there is an £8 green fee per head, as opposed to £3 ish at Essex. thats £5 a head on tournie entry fees straight away. Jesse managed to run Spring Fling for £22.50 including lunches. with a field of 40 - 50 entrants that means he misses out on a prize pot somewhere between £100 and £130. Thats a hell of a lot of potential prizes. I can;t talk for other tournaments as i don't know individual breakdowns but I believe places like Whitcombe/Croydon and Burnlaw have a hell of a lot of costs to cover before they can start thinking about prizes.

There was some mention at last years AGM of producing accounts for each tournament. I still think this is a good idea. Dave has produced a fantastically detailed spreadhseet for the Essex accounts which could be used as a template. Not sure if he would like to share it on the forum (Dave?) as there is no BDGA requirement to at the moment, but it is interesting to see where the money at each tournament goes and could potentially stop arguments like this in the future.
www.discgolfuk.com
richard@discgolfuk.com

Village

Post by Village » Thu Apr 21, 2011 2:11 pm

Is it my imagination, or is this spiralling out of control a touch?

I think we all need to take a deep breath and back off the mike a touch.

Back in the day, we used to give away bottles of scotch as prizes, but it was felt that this was inappropriate in case an under 18 won, so we stopped.

I’ll admit the a bottle of Mr Muscle sink and drain unblocker is an “odd” prize, and as it turns out, possibly not entirely appropriate to be giving it to a jnr (maybe a plunger would’ve been better?), but there’s no need for half of the BDGA to be up in arms over it!!

Everybody wind their necks in and get a bloody grip!

Any chance and Admin can lock/delete this thread as it’s serving no useful purpose and is only really making matter worse.

And don’t be thinking that this is the new direction for me, conflict resolution is not my bag!
The worst thing about having a failing memory is.....no, its gone...

Running with scissors since 1977

BDGA 173 PDGA 8831

TheGroover

Post by TheGroover » Thu Apr 21, 2011 2:31 pm

I agree with Village.
----------------
Keep up to date with Oxford's summer league...
Oxdisc blog: http://oxdisc.blogspot.com

Steve

Post by Steve » Thu Apr 21, 2011 2:35 pm

Locked.
[url=http://www.shropdisc.co.uk/]Disc Golf In Shropshire[/url]

[color=red] BDGA # 266
[url=http://www.pdga.org/tournament/playerstats.php?PDGANum=8833&year=2007]PDGA # 8833[/url]
[/color]