Champion Groove - Speed 13

Talk about plastic, Targets, Bags and which woolly jumper to wear in the winter etc...
Also the place to look for lost discs.
Jester

Post by Jester » Wed Feb 04, 2009 5:46 pm

ManicMinerUK wrote:I thought the speed value was more a case of "this disc must be thrown this fast to actually work properly" rather than "this disc flies this fast"

I mean, short of actually attaching engines to them, I'm not really sure how one disc could be said to any "faster" than any other... they are gonna go as fast as you throw them, right?
According to the description on the Innova site of what speed means to them http://www.innovadiscs.com/faq/discrating.html, faster discs go further into the wind with less effort. This suggests they are more aerodynamic, but at the end of the day you're right that it's how the player throws the things that actually counts.
Jester
BDGA #128
PDGA #8817
------------------------------------------------------
Croydon DGC: Hyzer Cup Champions 08/09, 13/14

Del

Post by Del » Mon Feb 16, 2009 11:42 pm

I have the Champion Groove in stock now, if anybody needs.
Derek Robins
Quarry Park Disc Golf

bruce

Post by bruce » Tue Feb 17, 2009 11:22 am

Jester wrote:
ManicMinerUK wrote:I thought the speed value was more a case of "this disc must be thrown this fast to actually work properly" rather than "this disc flies this fast"

I mean, short of actually attaching engines to them, I'm not really sure how one disc could be said to any "faster" than any other... they are gonna go as fast as you throw them, right?
According to the description on the Innova site of what speed means to them http://www.innovadiscs.com/faq/discrating.html, faster discs go further into the wind with less effort. This suggests they are more aerodynamic, but at the end of the day you're right that it's how the player throws the things that actually counts.
Speed is actually a bit misleading as a name in this case, it's more like an inverse decceleration stat, where the higher the number, the slower it will deccelerate.

I always think of discs as having 3 characteristics, decceleration rate (Speed), speed at which they turn over (High Speed Stability, or HSS), speed at which they stall (Low Speed Stability, or LSS). The two stability values determine how fast you need to be able to throw the disc in order for it to fly 'correctly'.

Google Joe's Flight Chart for discs catagorised this way.

Fact is, the majority of high-speed drivers need to be thrown faster than the majority of players can throw them, but all those plastic junkies out there can't help but keep on looking for a magic bullet that will suddenly mean they can throw 100m, rather than work on their form and technique... :wink:
[Standard post disclaimer] My posts are never intended to undermine the work of the Board or individuals putting in effort to grow the sport, they are my honest thoughts on the best ways to grow the game

BDGA: 145
PDGA: 8824

Jester

Post by Jester » Tue Feb 17, 2009 4:40 pm

bruce wrote: Google Joe's Flight Chart for discs catagorised this way.
It's here:
http://gottagogottathrow.com/discgolf/p ... Chart1.pdf
Jester
BDGA #128
PDGA #8817
------------------------------------------------------
Croydon DGC: Hyzer Cup Champions 08/09, 13/14

Stew

Post by Stew » Tue Feb 17, 2009 5:14 pm

I'm slightly disturbed after realising that the "groove" under the rim will be the same as on the Monarch which felt horrible when I picked one up at Whitcombe. Think I'm gonna stick to my Wraiths (150g like a girl for extra distance!)
Give a man a driver and he can play disc golf for years.
Give Stewart a disc and he'll lose it the same day!
-----------------------------------------------------------------
Croydon DGC: Hyzer Cup champions 08/09

alessa

Post by alessa » Wed Feb 18, 2009 11:11 pm

Stew wrote: Think I'm gonna stick to my Wraiths (150g like a girl for extra distance!)
I think you are mistaken - most girls throw heavy discs as soon as they figured out the technics, I haven't touched my 150g one for distance ever since I carried on playing right handed again - and you are now quite a while is the business as well - so don't you pick on girls, go and grab a 175g one and play like a man :twisted: :wink:
Last edited by alessa on Thu Feb 19, 2009 1:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Disc Golf in Berlin and Potsdam
www.hyzernauts.de
http://picasaweb.google.de/desertdiscgolfdiva/
http://discgolfer.ning.com/profile/Alessa

rhatton1

Post by rhatton1 » Thu Feb 19, 2009 1:20 pm

bruce wrote:Fact is, the majority of high-speed drivers need to be thrown faster than the majority of players can throw them, but all those plastic junkies out there can't help but keep on looking for a magic bullet that will suddenly mean they can throw 100m, rather than work on their form and technique... :wink:
Guilty as charged y'honour.

1 Speed 13 Groove please Mr Del, and a forward order for the first Speed 14, 15, 16 etc. For when I realise this isn't the answer to my dreams and move onto the next pyramid scheme of disc golf.
www.discgolfuk.com
richard@discgolfuk.com
Home of the Midlands One Day Series
Talk to us about courses!

West

Post by West » Thu Feb 19, 2009 2:15 pm

rhatton1 wrote:
bruce wrote:Fact is, the majority of high-speed drivers need to be thrown faster than the majority of players can throw them, but all those plastic junkies out there can't help but keep on looking for a magic bullet that will suddenly mean they can throw 100m, rather than work on their form and technique... :wink:

1 Speed 13 Groove please Mr Del, and a forward order for the first Speed 14, 15, 16 etc. For when I realise this isn't the answer to my dreams and move onto the next pyramid scheme of disc golf.
Stick with a 8 or 9 speed mate, you've not got the arms for anything more that the big boys play with :twisted:
"West"
PDGA: #8823
BDGA: #250
Twitter: @WestDiscGolf
BDGA DoC 2007 - 2011

bruce

Post by bruce » Thu Feb 19, 2009 2:43 pm

rhatton1 wrote:

Hey, if you don't want to get any better, that's your lookout, but don't say I didn't tell you.

You'd be better off buying a stack of DX Gazelles and throwing nothing but them for 6 months...

<edit> And that goes for you too Storr :P
[Standard post disclaimer] My posts are never intended to undermine the work of the Board or individuals putting in effort to grow the sport, they are my honest thoughts on the best ways to grow the game

West

Post by West » Fri Feb 20, 2009 9:29 am

bruce wrote:
rhatton1 wrote:

Hey, if you don't want to get any better, that's your lookout, but don't say I didn't tell you.

You'd be better off buying a stack of DX Gazelles and throwing nothing but them for 6 months...

<edit> And that goes for you too Storr :P
How about a stack of DX valks instead? Would that still work? :)
"West"
BDGA DoC 2007 - 2011

bruce

Post by bruce » Fri Feb 20, 2009 11:05 am

West wrote:How about a stack of DX valks instead? Would that still work? :)
Gazelle's would be better, but I suppose so

Del

Post by Del » Sat Feb 21, 2009 8:25 am

West wrote: How about a stack of DX valks instead? Would that still work? :)
Better get a stack of each to be on the safe side :lol:

http://www.quarrypark.co.uk/images/shoplarge.jpg
mwah hah hah
Derek Robins
Quarry Park Disc Golf

West

Post by West » Mon Feb 23, 2009 8:33 am

Del wrote:
West wrote: How about a stack of DX valks instead? Would that still work? :)
Better get a stack of each to be on the safe side :lol:

http://www.quarrypark.co.uk/images/shoplarge.jpg
mwah hah hah
Went into the "emporium" yesterday ... it's impressive :)
"West"
BDGA DoC 2007 - 2011

Steve

Post by Steve » Wed Feb 25, 2009 4:52 pm

I'm quite enjoying the new Groove disc. Its doesn't flip as much as I thought it would and may make it into my bag after some more experimenting. :)

Cheers Del, I owe you £10 :)
[url=http://www.shropdisc.co.uk/]Disc Golf In Shropshire[/url]

[color=red] BDGA # 266
[url=http://www.pdga.org/tournament/playerstats.php?PDGANum=8833&year=2007]PDGA # 8833[/url]
[/color]

rhatton1

Post by rhatton1 » Wed Feb 25, 2009 10:43 pm

been out tonight throwing it on an open field and it flys a good ten metres further than my destroyer. Flips over into a head wind, but with wind behind it just seems to keep going on and on. I thas so much glide, I threw it a few times flat and low thinking it was going to worm burn and then it just lifted and kept going and going.

Don't think I will ever use it at Quarry Park in fairness as I can't think of a hole it would be that useful on but on a course with long open holes it will be first disc in the bag.
www.discgolfuk.com
richard@discgolfuk.com
Home of the Midlands One Day Series
Talk to us about courses!