PDGA Disc Approval

Talk about plastic, Targets, Bags and which woolly jumper to wear in the winter etc...
Also the place to look for lost discs.
BaggerBlakehill

PDGA Disc Approval

Post by BaggerBlakehill » Mon Feb 09, 2015 9:46 pm

Hey guys, I'm hoping someone can answer a couple of questions I have about the approval of a couple of discs I use as while I thought I thought I knew the answer I'm now not quite so sure.

Firstly the discs in question are the 2013 and 2014 AceRace prototype discs. Both discs have been fully PDGA approved however 1) while I thought I read somewhere that the prototypes given out at AceRace events themselves are given retrospective approval, I can't seem to find this anywhere now and 2) I heard that even though the 2013 AceRace disc went on to be approved and called the Mantis, the mould was changed.

So my questions are:
Are prototypes given retrospective approval? And
Does the Mantis mould differ from the 2013 prototype disc? and if so
Does that mean the 2013 prototype discs are illegal for competition use?

Thanks
Still suffering from early wood

BDGA# 1112
PDGA# 61657

andrewdouse

Re: PDGA Disc Approval

Post by andrewdouse » Tue Feb 10, 2015 1:12 pm

http://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/sh ... 3+ace+race

"It's official! PDGA has approved the 2013 Ace Race prototype, and it has been renamed the Mantis. All copies -- including the official Ace Race version -- are now PDGA tournament approved. "
BDGA# 373 PDGA# 51346

BaggerBlakehill

Post by BaggerBlakehill » Tue Feb 10, 2015 1:50 pm

Thanks Andrew, I think that's exactly the article I saw previously but couldn't find yesterday. My issue with this though is that it seems to some random person who has been sent a communication from Discraft. Sadly the PDGA announcemnt doesn't make any hint towards the prototype discs being approved - http://www.pdga.com/announcements/discr ... eys-chains

Maybe this is normal and discs are put out before being approved and are then given retrospective approval however it does seem a little strange.

I just want to be sure I'm chucking legal plastic in comps is all :)

BDGA# 1112
PDGA# 61657

Jester

Post by Jester » Tue Feb 10, 2015 3:05 pm

BaggerBlakehill wrote:I just want to be sure I'm chucking legal plastic in comps is all :)
Good thinking, Nick! As long as you're not throwing an Epic, you should be alright. :wink:
Jester
BDGA #128
PDGA #8817
------------------------------------------------------
Croydon DGC: Hyzer Cup Champions 08/09, 13/14

bruce

Post by bruce » Tue Feb 10, 2015 7:55 pm

Jester wrote:Good thinking, Nick! As long as you're not throwing an Epic, you should be alright. :wink:
I saw a thread about disc approval. I saw the last post was by Jester. Reading the content was entirely unnecessary :lol:
[Standard post disclaimer] My posts are never intended to undermine the work of the Board or individuals putting in effort to grow the sport, they are my honest thoughts on the best ways to grow the game

BDGA: 145
PDGA: 8824

BaggerBlakehill

Post by BaggerBlakehill » Tue Feb 10, 2015 9:49 pm

Thanks guys, I've no idea what an Epic is but it seems I don't have too much to worry about in terms of my current plastic.

One thing that I did find interesting though was that it's a myth that you can only throw discs that were in your bag at the start of a round. I genuinely thought this was a real thing and actually fell foul of this at QP last year. Oh well you love and learn :)

BDGA# 1112
PDGA# 61657

bruce

Post by bruce » Tue Feb 10, 2015 9:58 pm

BaggerBlakehill wrote:Oh well you love and learn
<insert epic tale of unrequited love between Nick and Hatton here>
[Standard post disclaimer] My posts are never intended to undermine the work of the Board or individuals putting in effort to grow the sport, they are my honest thoughts on the best ways to grow the game

BDGA: 145
PDGA: 8824

rhatton1

Post by rhatton1 » Wed Feb 11, 2015 4:21 pm

bruce wrote:
BaggerBlakehill wrote:Oh well you love and learn
<insert epic tale of unrequited love between Nick and Hatton here>
Scott Stokely produces and directs.

Bom Chicka Wow wow.

As for the Epic, ask Del what the best shot for Helens Myre at Quarry Park is. Everytime you see him. Just ask him. Over and over. There's only one answer. He better give the right one each time!
www.discgolfuk.com
richard@discgolfuk.com
Home of the Midlands One Day Series
Talk to us about courses!