Whats in your Bag?

Talk about plastic, Targets, Bags and which woolly jumper to wear in the winter etc...
Also the place to look for lost discs.
bruce

Re: Whats in your Bag?

Post by bruce » Fri Feb 07, 2014 2:59 pm

A lot to reply to there, but the gist is in Rich's first paragraph. For the record I'm only offering advice and experience, and don't for one second expect you to throw out a load of discs on my say so. I even used to carry around one of those horrible rubber things for a while! :P

The question you're asking of each of your discs is 'does it do something different from the other ones?' The answer there is going to be 'yes' for just about any comparison of two discs, but you certainly don't want to carry the several hundred molds that are out there! The question you should be asking is 'does it do something I can't do with one of the other ones?', and the answer to that is 'no' much more often than you'd think.

Take the putters. Unless you're talking full power drives or strong headwinds, there's no putt/approach shot you can't do with just the Magnet. Or the Aviar, or the Maniac, or the Aero. If the rubber thing was truly effective at preventing skips and rollaways, everyone would use one. In reality it's much more effective to learn about controlling the landing angle of the disc and the game management to pick your landing spot. I've never thrown a Maniac so I don't know it's stability, but most good driving putters have a bead on the rim and will double as headwind approach discs judging from what you're saying I think you're missing this spot in your bag, I'd suggest you simplify to Magnet for putting, Maniac for straight drives, and look into a beaded putter for full power drives and headwinds (see, I'm not just trying to get you to chuck stuff, you can still feed that plastic addiction ;))

Your comment about underthrowing drivers instead of using your mids is illuminating, and I see that a lot from newer players. What you get by doing that is a very predictable sharp fade as the disc stalls, and it feels like you have more control. You probably do but you have less flexibility, you only have one line whereas with a mid you can throw a variety of lines to the target with the same disc. I'm a Roc fan, but there are plenty of folks out there who prefer a Buzzz. I don't really think there's much wrong here, but using them more should be your aim.

I wasn't saying the TL and Eagle were equivalent, but they are filling the same slot in your bag. This fairway driver should be your go-to disc, the one you use on more tees than any other disc. It's a personal preference as to whether you want a disc with some shape to the flight (Eagle), or a straight and true disc (TL/Teebird). I prefer the straight disc, but it sounds like you prefer the Eagle. It's funny though that you've listed all the things you think its wonderful for, and then gone on to describe all the other discs you carry to do those jobs... I'd agree that it's a great all round disc for a beginner. That's someone who has maybe 3 discs. My experience with the Eagle is that it's Jack of all trades, master of none, and once you have say TL, Sidewinder and Boss, the Eagle is redundant.
[Standard post disclaimer] My posts are never intended to undermine the work of the Board or individuals putting in effort to grow the sport, they are my honest thoughts on the best ways to grow the game

BDGA: 145
PDGA: 8824

Mark.A.D

Post by Mark.A.D » Fri Feb 07, 2014 3:17 pm

rhatton1 wrote:I don't have a roller disc and need to get one.
*cough* Mamba *cough*
Hyzer Cup Champions 09/10, 10/11, 11/12, 12/13
BDGA #357
PDGA #45315

rhatton1

Post by rhatton1 » Fri Feb 07, 2014 3:18 pm

idiot :wink:
www.discgolfuk.com
richard@discgolfuk.com
Home of the Midlands One Day Series
Talk to us about courses!

rhatton1

Post by rhatton1 » Fri Feb 07, 2014 3:27 pm

bruce wrote:
If the rubber thing was truly effective at preventing skips and rollaways, everyone would use one. In reality it's much more effective to learn about controlling the landing angle of the disc and the game management to pick your landing spot.
Also the amount of spin imparted on the disc - it took years of watching Del never get rollaways on hole 12 to realise the reason was the amount of spin he imparted on the disc, This plus it landing flat on the bank (as Bruce says landing angle) was what meant he only ever rolled in very unfortunate circumstances. Realising that I had to throw with a lot of spin has greatly reduced my roll aways on that hole (they tend to happen still in competition when I chicken out, don't fully commit and feather the throw, ergo not enough spin and roll time, grr, stupid brain)
www.discgolfuk.com
richard@discgolfuk.com
Home of the Midlands One Day Series
Talk to us about courses!

BaggerBlakehill

Post by BaggerBlakehill » Fri Feb 07, 2014 3:28 pm

Come on now Rich. The same way the BBC have to add a 2nd opinion to add balance to an argument, we can always rely upon Mavis to add the "dumb-factor" to an intelligent conversation ;)
Still suffering from early wood

BDGA# 1112
PDGA# 61657

robbnot

Post by robbnot » Sun Feb 09, 2014 12:00 am

What bruce has said makes sense of my bag, I will still carry all my discs but concentrate on learning what I can do with each one,
Being still fairly new to throwing and still having a lot to learn, its very interesting as I get to understand flight paths and wind etc, thanks
Oh, and mavis taught me how to do rollers and about spin, :twisted: how many putters??? :wink:
BDGA#1007
PDGA#62797

My disc golf makes your disc golf look great...

robbnot

Post by robbnot » Fri Oct 17, 2014 11:39 pm

Eight months on, I've learnt all "about" throwing discs , but not how to actually throw them....
So back to the start for me,
In my bag......
Swan putter, 172g grippy
Roc 172g
8)
BDGA#1007
PDGA#62797

My disc golf makes your disc golf look great...