Whats in your Bag?

Talk about plastic, Targets, Bags and which woolly jumper to wear in the winter etc...
Also the place to look for lost discs.
andrewdouse

Whats in your Bag?

Post by andrewdouse » Tue Nov 06, 2012 8:53 pm

An ongoing thread on the discgolfreview forum, I'd be interested to know what people throw over here, and any comments on why.
I'll start you off.

Andrews Bag.Nov 2012

Putters
Ion - for putting and approaching
Anode - for putting and approaching - bit straighter than ion & less likely to turn over

Mid
Gator - reliable approaches in the wind, a disc I have got the hang of.
Comet - not used much, as the anode is my straight approach disc really, but I carry it round for longer shots.
MVP vector and axis - replace the above but only when it's dry (they are über slippery when wet)

Drivers
TeeBird - staple for fairway drives, and occasionally off the tee.
Orc - is my main driver
Krait - slightly more turn and less fade than the orc, but interchangeable with it. (also a blizzard Krait)
PD - Only used on K7 these days, or into a strong headwind.
Sidewinder - tailwind drives (along with the blizzard krait)
X-Nuke - recently recovered, so just getting back into using. quite flippy.
Blizzard Destroyer - for the river fear! floats nicely, hasn't made it to Stratford yet.
Last edited by andrewdouse on Thu Nov 08, 2012 3:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.
BDGA# 373 PDGA# 51346

Phil Wood

Re: Whats in your Bag?

Post by Phil Wood » Wed Nov 07, 2012 3:48 pm

Guess my bag is a little unbalanced as I don’t really throw that many anhyzers, just switching between side arm or backhand hole depending.

Putters
Focus – acerace disc from 2009, pro d for putting, soft x for approaches or off the tee. Great glide, decent stability, discrafts Wizard clone.
Prodiscus Jokeri – over stable putter, great for flick approaches or shorter upshots into a headwind.

Mids
ESP/Z Comet – flippy to straight (until I have rocs beaten enough!)
Dx and KC Pro Rocs – straight to overstable
Z Drone – V overstable, spike hyzers and flicks. might get replaced in near future for a gator.

Drivers
S-line FD – flippy to straight controlled backhand drives. My favourite disc of this year, so much glide its daft.
Dx and Star teebirds – straight to slightly stable backhand drives
ESP/Z predators – overstable backhand/hyzers and controlled sidearm drives
Champ/star Destroyers all 175g ish – main sidearm driver, all stages of stability have about 4 in the bag and far more in the cupboard!

MampiSwift

Post by MampiSwift » Thu Nov 08, 2012 12:36 pm

If your bags unbalanced Phil what about mine:-

Putters:-
Magnet for all putts and some approaches (Since I threw my Aviar in the Avon)
New Aviar thats not had a lot of use yet but Im sure will in the future.
Innova Rhyno , nice stable putter good for putts into the wind.
Pro Innova dart , bit faster than other putters , more like a putter driver , really nice .

Mid ranges:-
Three different Buzz's , ESP , Elite Z and a Pro D each with different stability's .
1 x Latitude Core , Love this disc and used it a lot at Burnlaw for Tailwind shots , quite understable but has great control on it lovely disc.

Drivers : Definitely have too many of these!
3 x Nukes 2 Elite Z and 1 x ESP , the ESP is a bit more stable than the Elite Z's but all for monster drives love them.
2 x Star Boss's - My go to long distance stable driver . Love it in the face!!! For all the boss gaps at QP!!
1 x Star Teerex for sidearms and thumbers ( yes I occasionally throw them.......... badly)
1 x Champion Firebird , lovely overstable driver , use this for a lot of different drives , great as a utility driver and also my thumber disc.
1 x Champion Eagle , Nice straight flyer .
1 x Star Teebird , bought this a couple of years ago when I couldnt throw and only now appreciating what it can do!!!
1 x Star Xcaliber currently in the AVon but another will be returning soon , for max distance headwind drives . Eats up the wind nicely!
2 x Star beasts - go to understable drivers , absolutely love these , great for drives like hole 12 at QP and also tailwind drives.
Hmmmm 12 drivers , not sure I need all of these!
Quarry Park member.
BDGA number :354
PDGA number :45313
Hyzer cup 2009/10 champions
Hyzer cup 2010/11 champions
Hyzer cup 2011/12 champions
Hyzer cup 2012/2013 champions

bruce

Post by bruce » Thu Nov 08, 2012 2:24 pm

Putters
Classic Aviar - changed from a soft putter to this super stiff mold 5-6 years ago, revolutionised my putting game as it really gave me confidence in my release
Omega Supersoft - turnover and straight approaches
Wizard - longer straight & hyzer approaches

Mids
3 DX Rocs, one super beaten for turnovers, one beaten into straight, one newish for stability/wind

Drivers
DX Valkyrie - so beaten up, can't remember the last time I used this for anything except rollers
2 DX Teebirds - straight drives, fairway drives
2 Nukes, 1 Pro D, 1 Elite X - newest additions to the bag, replaced the Wraith as my pure distance driver. May be adding a Z as a more stable option
Star Boss - headwind drives and hyzers
ESP Predator - for when it's really windy. Or the half a dozen times a season I throw a thumber.

I carry one more disc in total than Tweedy carries drivers! :D
[Standard post disclaimer] My posts are never intended to undermine the work of the Board or individuals putting in effort to grow the sport, they are my honest thoughts on the best ways to grow the game

BDGA: 145
PDGA: 8824

LostMeow

Post by LostMeow » Thu Nov 08, 2012 3:12 pm

The 'core' discs:

Putters:

2 Soft Magnets (one heavier than the other) - putts and approaches
MVP Anode - currently filling the 'slightly stable putter' slot after I lost my two (different, but) lovely grippy Wizards at QP - for hyzery approaches and putter drives.

Mids:
Pro D Stratus - for whenever I need a disc that behaves like an Ultrastar!
Champion Spider - rescue disc, hyzer approaches, bits and bobs.
Squall - backhand fairway drives.

Drivers:
Champion TL+ - backhand drives.
Star Valkyrie - maximum distance BH drives.
2 Wraiths (one Echo Star, one Pro) - the best FH driver, in my opinion. Finesse and distance!
Z Nuke - more FH distance.
Blizzard Boss - even more FH distance, but no good in any wind.
Star TeeRex - headwind FH distance.
Champion Firebird - controlled FH drives - straight if kept low, hyzer if given some height.

There are always a few 'auditioning' as well - currently a couple of Latitude ones, of which the Goldline Riot is close to gaining a full-time slot...
Tom
ND

rhatton1

Post by rhatton1 » Fri Nov 09, 2012 10:52 am

Putters

169 green Wizard (ace Disc)- my main putter for proper putting and approaches within 20 meters, holds a straight line.
2 175 Black wizards (ace Disc)for all approach shots up to about 60 meters. Very stable very reliable, love 'em.
sometimes a pro aviar putter - depends if I put it in the bag or not, if its there I use it for staggered putts out from about 12 meters as it holds a straight line for a very long time - don't trust it in the wind though and glides more than I like a putter too.

Midrange
2 x Rocs 175 both about the same level of beaten in - 1 slightly domier than the other. Use for approaches over 60 meters, or for small rollers or upside down skip shots. Sometimes used for mid range thumbers I want to flip over and slide up to the basket.
1 x Stratus (ace Disc)- lovely turnover disc, i use for get out of jail anny's or for some shots off my knees I want to glide along way without too much power. Hardly ever use them off the tee but have two aces with them which should probably tell me something.....

Drivers - there is a hangover here from my early days, I probably need to start over again and try some new but I'm quite stuck in my ways now.

Champion Boss (ace Disc)- Original one from 2008, love it, My headwind driver and long s curve drives, Fast through the air with a predictable fade, I know it is too big for me, but I know it inside out and It's my go to backhand driver.
Blue Star Destroyer (ace Disc)- Think I picked it up in Holland years back so my most expensive disc (exchange rate was almost 1: 1 at the time) Gives me very straight drives with a predictable fade backhand, my go to forehand driver, find the rim to be just the right size for my fingers to get a clean consistent release, thrown well it gives me a slight bit of turn and then a nice predictable fade. Perfect for holes 3, 12 and 14 at QP often gives me birdie chances on each of them (less so 14 these days as I've started playing the hole a bit negatively.) Very good for long Backhand Anny shots that will hold the turn right up to the last 10 meters of flight where it will come back in as the disc slows. Great for hole 10 at Burnlaw like this.
Pink Champ Boss (ace Disc) - (although this can be any champ Boss from new ) I use this for short range fore hand shots I either want to throw low that skip or for getting round tight corners. Overstable Bosses are great discs for forehand skip shots. I find this so much easier to control distance with than a mid or putter thrown forehand in the 45 - 60 meter range
Battered DX teebird - would be gutted to lose this as beat in perfectly - my goto fairway driver for really accurate drives. Great with a gentle wind behind to blow it on its way.
normally have some DX destroyers generally battered as can use them forehand or backhand, very often around water holes where I don;t want to lose my more expensive discs.
Champ Firebird - for backhand shots that have to go left, every time, very predictable, Limited to about 80 meters max but really reliable. Often used as my second shot on hole 6- 7 at QP.
Pro (Frank the Fiery) Firebird - named by Rick Rick, it's become a favourite disc of mine after coming out of the river, use it for loads of holes around the QP red course, it is great for 80 - 85 meter drives that need a predictable finish. Use it for Forehand rollers as well.
Star Tee Rex (thumber ace Disc)- possibly my oldest disc used solely for thumbers, would be gutted to lose it
Used to have a battered DX beast for rollers or hyzer flip shots - not sure where it's disappeared to. Don't really have a backhand roller disc without it.
www.discgolfuk.com
richard@discgolfuk.com
Home of the Midlands One Day Series
Talk to us about courses!

LostMeow

Post by LostMeow » Fri Nov 09, 2012 11:58 am

Wow, that's a lot of aces! I hope you're not counting short-course aces though!
rhatton1 wrote:
sometimes a pro aviar putter - depends if I put it in the bag or not, if its there I use it ...
So the aviar being in the bag depends on whether you put it in the bag or not, and if it is in the bag you'll use it, if it isn't in the bag...you won't use it?
Some complicated stuff going on here! :wink:
Tom
ND

rhatton1

Post by rhatton1 » Fri Nov 09, 2012 1:21 pm

whatev's! :D

It's sometimes in my bag depending on weather conditions, still days I'll use it, windy days it stays in the car.

and yes counting the short course aces! If I stand on a tee and it goes in the chain its an ace! (and no they're not black aces)

full course aces there have been 4, with the Boss, destroyer, Stratus and Buzz, one of those was not midround. Overall I think 9 now.
www.discgolfuk.com
richard@discgolfuk.com

West

Post by West » Fri Nov 09, 2012 5:00 pm

rhatton1 wrote:I probably need to start over again
This is what I'm doing now I'm playing a bit more with my shoulder. So far only the following have made the bag to date ...

Putters
1 x Soft Magnet (178g) quite beat up; for turn to the right approaches and putts
1 x Soft Magnet (178g) much newer; for straight approaches and putts (and hyzer if need)

Approach
2 x Buzzzzz (heavy) - regular Buzzzzz not got my SS's out of the cupboard yet

Job done :)

Need to get my drivers out and see what I've got as it's been quite a while :)
"West"
PDGA: #8823
BDGA: #250
Twitter: @WestDiscGolf
BDGA DoC 2007 - 2011

mat cutler

Post by mat cutler » Fri Nov 09, 2012 6:48 pm

Putters

2x175g aviars only really need one but often lend discs to new people at ashton court and at tournies good to have a couple to make practice putts. I don't throw these over 10m as i then switch to

Approach

1 170g super beat classic roc (no dome and bead worn away) 7 ace's :shock: putts from outside 10m up to turnover drives of 70m, anhyzer approaches, hyzer approaches, straight shots, rescue shots, fh putts. Basically my favourite disc probably 20 throws a round!
1 172g fresh classic roc will replace once beaten in, for now it's used when a bit winder and want a more reliable finish.
175g star gator (no bead) fh approaches and spike hyzer bh's "the brick" thumbers and upside down throws (mull)

Mid range
2 dx rocs one super beat one fresh
1 star roc more stable than dx ones all 172
1 z comet made it into the bag after essex lovely print and use rarely - often lent to new players at ashton court or rescue fh turnover shots needing glide out from under trees etc. throw bh on a couple of holes eg 12? at essex (one before kiddies)

fairway drivers
z stalker turnover 173g
champ teebird stable 172g

2 valkyries one champ 167g downwind drives, hyzer flip max distance, won me long drive at qp on 6 to 7,
one pro valkyrie 169g need to beat up (new replacing lost disc) turnover driver
1 champ destroyer go to driver 172
dga hurricane long fh drives (can't throw destroyers FH! experimenting with this as something with more glide and speed than firebird)
star xcaliber 172g becomes valkyrie into the wind or long hyzer bombs
171g beat up gummy champ firebird main fh driver. fh rollers and thumbers
175g pancake flat top silly overstable firebird skip shots, for super windy hyzer shots

thinking about adding westside king as mark fleetham keeps out driving me with his! :evil:
also hope to one day have a bunch of Champion classic rocs but innova won't make them! cfr's for bristol this year perhaps? :D

robbnot

Post by robbnot » Mon Aug 26, 2013 11:25 pm

So i've been playing for a year and i've just started to understand my discs, they don't always do what i want them to, but now i have some discs that i like and i got them 'cos i sort of knew what i was looking for....
Putters;
173g Pro-d magnet, with the flight plate concaved flies long and straight (although not hitting chain as much as i'd like...)
174g Pro-D rattler, tiny hyzers round a bush
MVP ion soft not sure about this .. its great through the house , pants outdoors

Mids;
172g roc from the cyclone for shots about 20/30 m that bend to the left
167g flx buzzz my goto disc for forehand shots at the basket. lovely
175g champion super stingray for long straight approaches and windy days (hardly touched it since i got the zombee)
a beat up disc zoo starter disc, a loaner for newbies, and thrown when warming up and occasionally in the woods

fairway;
Tee-Bird, forehand fairway throws (which i'm crap at)

Drivers; :D (my new arrivals, cos i keep losing my drivers)
175g Zombee elite z, 2012 acerace disc, almost all my approach shots and when trying to ace and any other time i think it'll work (wonderful disc)
173g elite z Predator*, super overstable does exactly as it should, great for all my hyzers and i rolled it very successfully last week at reading to make the mando... sweet
169g TD2 fever S-line, perfect for S curves
145g Blizzard Champion Krait, for distance drives, gives me an extra 10m+, replaces my sidewinder and valk (both lost now)((twice))
168g vip Northman for safety drives and straight fairway shots, nice reliable disc i lost my green one at QP on #3 in the bushes on the left :( so i got another and i like it so much i've orderd another :D
*my predator has got a 4/5 inch strip of gnarleyness inside the rim ? is this for grip ? cos it seems to work quite well, although at my level i don't think it makes that much difference

so that's my bag, i'm sure it'll change, i'll update this in a year from now.
the more i throw and watch the more i learn, there are still loads of throws i have no idea how to do, but i'm getting there... look out Open division :lol:
BDGA#1007
PDGA#62797

My disc golf makes your disc golf look great...

MampiSwift

Post by MampiSwift » Tue Sep 24, 2013 1:00 pm

innova only made one disc ..................

Boss.
Quarry Park member.
BDGA number :354
PDGA number :45313
Hyzer cup 2009/10 champions
Hyzer cup 2010/11 champions
Hyzer cup 2011/12 champions
Hyzer cup 2012/2013 champions

Bagpuss81

Post by Bagpuss81 » Fri Sep 27, 2013 1:18 am

Just need my red buzzz.......
BDGA-1053...........PDGA-58394
Quarry Park Member
Hyzer Cup Winner 2013
QP int-am winner 2013
Bagger!

BaggerBlakehill

Post by BaggerBlakehill » Sun Oct 13, 2013 3:01 pm

Ok so I've been playing for only 3 months (yes Robb, I'm now counting it in months instead of weeks) but have already acquired a fair number of discs but I'm told this is quite normal so that's cool :)

Putt & approach
Soft magnet, generally used for either putts of less than 5 meters or much longer putts where I'll try to spike-hyzer it in busting taking the safety of it not rolling away afterwards
Maniac, nearly all putts 5-15meters but also used a lot for up shots to around 60 meters. Also use it for those touchy little 5-10 meter fh bank shots around trees as well as short rollers. Technically I bought this for my wife but love it so much i basically nabbed it off her. I probably use this at for at least 25 shots each round

Mids
Comet (Z I think), hardly use this disc anymore but I do use it for some turnover shots and dead straight up shots
DX Roc, I bought this at the QP open and now see why everyone raves about it. I use this for so many different shots, bh, fh, rollers, long up shops etc. it's a very cool disc

Drivers
Star TL, ok so this was the disc Del advised me to buy and so was my very first disc and I absolutely love it. I use this for both bh and fh and find it'll reach nearly 300ft practically straight with a nicely predictable fade at the end.
2 x 2013 ace race discs which seem to be just overstable but very nice to throw and seem to be going quite well for both bh and fh however they are so similar to the TL, they're not going to get too much use. What they do do nicely though, is anny. I've just started practising these shots and these discs work very well.
C-line FD, another great disc that I use instead of the TL when I need to make sure I get a little bit of turn before fading at the end to finish basically straight in front of me.
Star Eagle, I use this discs when I need to go straight ahead for 2thirds of the hole before I get a good amount of fade at the end.
Champion Sidewinder, only just put this disc in my bag after hiding it in the bushes at Amazingstoke for about 7 weeks however for me I use this disc for the long holes where I need the s-line
Star Boss, again I picked this up at the QP Open so haven't had too long to learn it yet but essentially when I need to bang out a lot of distance or want a get a big skip, this is what I'll pull out the bag
Still suffering from early wood

BDGA# 1112
PDGA# 61657

Village

Post by Village » Wed Oct 23, 2013 7:13 pm

Putter: soft magnet

Approach: rhino x2

Mid: Z-MRV

Drivers: DX Valkyrie, eagle, firebird, DX banshee. Old skool........
The worst thing about having a failing memory is.....no, its gone...

Running with scissors since 1977

BDGA 173 PDGA 8831

Paul Holden

Post by Paul Holden » Sat Nov 23, 2013 11:47 pm

Putters
Challenger Supersoft
APX Supersoft

Mid-range
Classic Roc
Star Ontario Roc
Z Wasp
Star Teebird 150g (good in the woods)
Champ Teebird (hyzer bombs and sidearm approaches)

Drivers (Sidearm)
DX TeeRex (beaten up)
DX TeeRex (nearly new)
Star Vulcan (beaten up)
Star Vulcan (nearly new)
Star Katana

Drivers (Backhand)
Roadrunner (mostly for rollers)
Star Valkyrie 150g (might be replaced by Blizzard Boss???)
Champ Valkyrie
Champ Orc (beaten up)
Champ Orc

Drivers (Either)
Star TeeRex
Champ Firebird

For wet days (better grip) and Hole 11 at QP
Pro Valkyrie

For the Lake at Essex only :)
DX Orc

Currently trialing
Blizzard Boss 137-139g
Paul Holden
BDGA No. 307
PDGA No. 34662

BaggerBlakehill

Post by BaggerBlakehill » Fri Feb 07, 2014 10:22 am

Ok so this is a repy to a post on my FB page that just went way too long for FB and franky sits quite well on here :)

Initially, I posted a new FB banner that has a list of my discs and Neil Webber gave some feedback which is below too followed by my response...

Neil:
"As a general point, learning how to throw one disc well will benefit you more than throwing 3 or 4 different discs averagely. So for example with your mid-ranges I have 3 Rocs in varying stages of wear, they all do pretty much the same thing but react differently to wind. Your Sidewinder and Katana are pretty much the same thing.
There are certain spots you need to have covered, all the rest is window dressing. Here's my bag:
Stable Control Driver - TL/Teebird
Distance Driver - Nuke
Understable Driver - Nuke
Moderately Overstable Driver - Boss
Very Overstable Driver - Predator
Stable Mid - DX Roc
Slightly Overstable Mid - KC Pro Roc
Understable Mid - Beat DX Roc
Putter - Classic Aviar
Speciality Discs - Wizard (stable driving putter), Omega SS (touch approach putter), Beat DX Valkyrie (roller)
So that's 10 molds, and I think without checking I have 15 discs in the bag including spares.
For your bag:
Aviar, Magnet - Same disc. As are my Omega & Aviar, but I can't throw the Aviar hard as the plastic cuts my hand. Personal choice.
Wedge, Aero, Maniac, Blowfly - They all do the same job as a Magnet. Bin them all and get a stable putter - Big Bead Aviar, Wizard, Challenger
Roc - Best disc there is :)
Comet, Buzz - Pick one until you beat a Roc in properly, probably the Comet
TL, Eagle, Northman - Pick one
Destroyer, Boss - Pick one
Katana, Sidewinder, Dragon - Pick one
Firebird - Tick
FD, Mantis - I have no idea what these do!"

My reply:
Hi Neil. Thanks for your thoughts, it’s always interesting to hear other people’s views on discs. I guess the only thing I can say to pre-empt my response though is that I’ve only been playing 6 months now so for one, I don’t really have any beat in discs that I can then add another version of to do something slightly different. Also, I’m still learning my discs and what I personally get on well with rather than simply trying to copy what you or anyone else does. I also find your comment of they all do the same thing so bin them a little odd as they might all do the same thing for you however comparing a Wedge, Aero, Maniac or Blowfly to a Magnet, to me at least, again seems odd. The I have 2 Magnets right now; a standard plastic and a soft and I agree these are great for standard putting probably inside of 7 meters for me. I’ve recently moved to using the soft one due to the cold making the harder one not quite feel right in the hand. I use the Aero for lofty-style putts when I need to get more distance than the Magnet as it definitely floats longer. The Wedge is totally different being very low profile and understable so I use it in windy conditions as well as when I need to get round a tree or something. My Maniacs are my driving putters. I can put these out to around 250 feet nice and straight so would never ditch these. When I try this with the Magnet, it either turns over or dies really quickly. The Aviar is quite like the Magnet yes however again, this is in a super soft style plastic which just gives me a different feeling and touch when I need it. As I mentioned before, I still consider myself to still be in the early stages of learning what discs work for me so when I wanted to get a bunch of new putters to help me in my putting practice, I intentionally bought different discs and different plastics so over time I can then learn which one/s I get on with the best.
BlowFly – This is not a disc I use all that often but when I want to throw a disc that I need to be pretty certain won’t skip away or roll down a hill, this is what I throw. It’s stupidly soft and can actually be folded in half so again, saying it’s the same disc as the Magnet is strange.
Mids – I agree the Roc is a good disc however it’s far from my favourite. In fact I don’t tend to use my mid-ranges all that much as I much prefer to either underthrow my fairway drivers (TL, Mantis or Eagle) or drive my Maniac. I tend to use either the Roc or Buzzz for long floaty anhyzers or the Coment for long turnovers.
Regarding the TL and Eagle, if these do the same thing for you then I think I may be doing something very wrong as they’re totally different in my hand. The TL is a fantastic disc that I’ll use for shorter drives that I want to go mainly straight then fade a little at the end or I can use for longer turnover shots that finish flat at the end. The Eagle is, in my opinion at least, probably the best all round disc out there for beginners. If I had to do a 2 disc round (putter +1), there’s no question that this would be my +1. I can throw this hyzer, anhyzer, forehand, roller, thumber, long and short distance. It’s a little understable but, in the right conditions, I can always depend on this fading nicely at the end. The Northman I agree I’m still trying to find what that does better than a few discs though.
I’ve had the Boss for a while now and the Destoryer is quite new so I’m still learning which one I get on better with. Right now, I’m preferring the Destroyer right now however I still go back to the Boss when facing a really strong head wind as it’s that little bit faster.
The Sidewinder is not a disc I use all that often however it has come out a lot recently when throwing into a strong tailwind when I need to get good distance. At Basingstoke last Sunday it was quite windy but I finished 12 feet short of the basket on hole 1 which I think is just over 330 feet and uphill. I also use this when I want to throw either a high turnover shot or a sky roller.
The Dragon I bought mainly for my wife as it’s only 150 grams but I find myself using from time to time when for standing throws when I need distance as I then don’t need to run-up to get there.
The Katana again is new but sadly up a tree right now so not doing much learning on it 
The FD is another I bought for my wife so use it rarely. It’s a little understable but generally a little like the TL.
Mantis’ are last year’s Ace Race disc. These are fairly overstable fairway drivers that work very nicely for shorter annys than the Eagle but when I want to be sure they’ll come back out unlike the TL.

I know I’m probably making justifications for having each of these discs that you may not agree with however like I said, I’m still very new to the game and learning lots so while I’d accept feedback from people on what discs I should try, I’m never going to act on someone telling me I must get rid of this disc or that disc irrespective of how long they’ve been playing. I don’t mean this to sounds disrespectful, I just want to make my own mind up and find out what works for me. When I play the usual weekly rounds at the local courses, I’ll try a variety of shots and not just stick with the same line every time so I can figure out what I can do with my discs. I currently feel my bag works for me and gives me the choices and shot range I need right now.

I’ll take a look at the links you sent me as I’m always interested new information however there’s no way I’m going to do any immediate replacements. I may add new discs to try in favour of other discs but until I find a disc that does something better than one I have already, it’s safe in my bag :)

BDGA# 1112
PDGA# 61657

rhatton1

Post by rhatton1 » Fri Feb 07, 2014 11:14 am

Bruce's point, and it is a very good one, is that you will become a better golfer by using a few discs in a number of different ways, learning how to throw one disc in a range of scenarios will develop your game more than getting a specific disc for the job. When he's saying they are the same discs what he means is they may all have slightly different flight characteristics but you should be able to throw all the same sort of shots with just one of these moulds even in the wind rather than trying to pick the mould for the individual shot. Changing your release angle and nose angle should have this affect. Being able to rely on yourself to pull off the shot rather than rely on the disc will help you improve. However you've been playing for six months and are still in the full flush of excitement about buying and trying new discs, we've all been there :D

One of the best ways to improve is playing putter or mid range only rounds. It forces you to think about a host of things - the line you will take, the landing zone you want to hit, how you will break the hole down to finish it in as few shots as possible etc, etc. The tendency when you have the drivers in the bag is just to wang it as hard as you can then worry about the upshot, this doesn't really help you improve. Playing an number of one disc only rounds and shooting close to what you would normally achieve with a full bag is an eye opener (shooting a 61 on the black course at QP with one putter told me that I didn't need half the discs in my bag!)

Everyone when they first start out try all sorts of discs and plastics looking for different things from them, as you progress you realise that you can do more to affect the flight than the disc mould can do and you start to carry more of the same disc in your bag. I'm personally not a massive fan of the more expensive plastics in anything but Drivers where you need them to stand up to a close range tree hit at full pelt, I find DX plastic to not need much breaking in and to generally be grippier and nicer to throw for mids and putters. My bag has been condensing more and more over the years now to the following:

Putters
Wizard - 165 gram - main putter and short approach shots
Wizard x 2 175 gram - putter in wind and longer approach shots up to 60 m +
Both are used for anny's straight shots and hyzers.

Mid range
DX Roc normally x 3 in varying stages of ware. (I think I have lost a couple at the moment and need to replace them) It is an awesome disc - used for straight shots, hyzers, anhyzers up to about 80 m + upside down scuba shots and rollers through trees.
DX (or discraft equivalent) Stratus - for use in trees on my knees - I can flick it and get more flight time out of it plus a gentle roll when there is not room for a reachback. a bit of a specialist disc for me not used often.

Drivers
Champ Boss x 2 - All sorts of shots long annys, straight shots long hyzers, head wind shots. My go to driver it's about 6 years old now. Also low shots that I want to skip as the wide rim allows it to skip and slide along. Forehand 50 - 60 meter flicks as well in no wind, I'd use the Firebird for more predictability in the wind.
Star Destroyer x 2 1 slightly more stable than the other for long forehand headwind shots- long annys, straight shots, long forehands shots
Firebird Champ and Pro - All sorts of different shots.
Teebirds DX - straight/hyzer anhyzer - just all round great disc.
I normally have some DX destroyers as well for when I'm scared of losing a disc - I use these anny, hyzer and straight both forehand and backhand- but I think all mine are in the river at the moment.

I don't have a roller disc and need to get one.
Last edited by rhatton1 on Fri Feb 07, 2014 2:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
www.discgolfuk.com
richard@discgolfuk.com

rhatton1

Post by rhatton1 » Fri Feb 07, 2014 2:22 pm

Also,

If you listen to one person and one person only about all things Disc Golf it probably makes most sense for it to be Bruce, he has been thinking about and trying out everything he says for a very long time with a complete understanding of the physics of how it all works but also the ability to put this knowledge into practical terms for people, and most of the time just about avoids being a condescending bas*ard :D

Edit Bruce is Neil Webber BTW.
www.discgolfuk.com
richard@discgolfuk.com

BaggerBlakehill

Post by BaggerBlakehill » Fri Feb 07, 2014 2:38 pm

Thanks Rich. I don't think he came across as condescending and I fully respect that he's got a huge amount of experience so would never fully disregard something he's shared with me. I simply found it a little odd that he'd tell me NOT to use something that was all. It's my full intention to condense (as you put it) my disc selection over time however right now I'm still learning which discs I want to do that with and right now I would say I'm only totally committed to 2 discs; TL & Eagle the rest are still being decided upon. In fact I fully expect I'll leave QP with a new one of one if not both of these discs. Like i said though, I have a lot of putters as I use each of these for various reasons and I'm working out which will be the one/s I stick with and focus on for the future. I hope this makes sense

BDGA# 1112
PDGA# 61657