Don't waste your time and money with discs you can't throw

Talk about plastic, Targets, Bags and which woolly jumper to wear in the winter etc...
Also the place to look for lost discs.
Jester

Don't waste your time and money with discs you can't throw

Post by Jester » Thu Jul 19, 2012 12:15 pm

I've been banging on about this forever and just found a video that sums it up: whatever your skill level, don't buy high speed drivers with speed ratings you can't yet throw at. The flight characteristics, like high speed turn, only 'activate' when the disc is thrown at or above it's speed rating. Thrown at lower speeds, the margin for error with such discs greatly increases.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... yHs#t=117s
Jester
BDGA #128
PDGA #8817
------------------------------------------------------
Croydon DGC: Hyzer Cup Champions 08/09, 13/14

TheGroover

Re: Don't waste tour time and money with discs you can't thr

Post by TheGroover » Thu Jul 19, 2012 3:47 pm

Couldn't agree more. That's why I still throw a Beast.

[I realise there's a very obvious smart-posterior comment along the lines of: "But Andy, the Beast is too fast for you"]
----------------
Keep up to date with Oxford's summer league...
Oxdisc blog: http://oxdisc.blogspot.com

mat cutler

Re: Don't waste your time and money with discs you can't thr

Post by mat cutler » Thu Jul 19, 2012 4:00 pm

what a heck load of sense!

Steve

Post by Steve » Thu Jul 19, 2012 4:27 pm

On the flip side of that remember that other factors such as wind etc should be taken into account. Try throwing that slow speed understable disc down hill into a head wind and see how far it gets you.....
[url=http://www.shropdisc.co.uk/]Disc Golf In Shropshire[/url]

[color=red] BDGA # 266
[url=http://www.pdga.org/tournament/playerstats.php?PDGANum=8833&year=2007]PDGA # 8833[/url]
[/color]

Jester

Post by Jester » Thu Jul 19, 2012 5:33 pm

Steve wrote:On the flip side of that remember that other factors such as wind etc should be taken into account. Try throwing that slow speed understable disc down hill into a head wind and see how far it gets you.....
This is a great addition to my original point.

Once a player understands the correct speed to throw at in calm conditions to make the disc behave as required, the next step is to think about the shot in context of a head or tail wind. A head wind causes an increase of the air speed over the disc, thus the disc behaves as if the player threw it faster than normal (usually this means for a right hand back hand it turns over). A tail wind obv has the opposite effect, discs behave as if they've been thrown slower (for RHBH they fade left much quicker).
Jester
BDGA #128
PDGA #8817
------------------------------------------------------
Croydon DGC: Hyzer Cup Champions 08/09, 13/14

Steve

Post by Steve » Thu Jul 19, 2012 7:21 pm

Then there's different disc plastic and weight. A 174 champ katana compared to a 134 blizard katana (extreme example, but there are lots of others in 150 dx compared to their 170+ champ equivalent) are so different but both still rated speed 13 iirc. But maybe this is just confusing things. :P :mrgreen:
[url=http://www.shropdisc.co.uk/]Disc Golf In Shropshire[/url]

[color=red] BDGA # 266
[url=http://www.pdga.org/tournament/playerstats.php?PDGANum=8833&year=2007]PDGA # 8833[/url]
[/color]

bruce

Post by bruce » Fri Jul 20, 2012 8:15 am

Steve wrote:Then there's different disc plastic and weight. A 174 champ katana compared to a 134 blizard katana (extreme example, but there are lots of others in 150 dx compared to their 170+ champ equivalent) are so different but both still rated speed 13 iirc. But maybe this is just confusing things. :P :mrgreen:
There's 2 things at play there. Primarily the key thing is airspeed, so just as you rightly referenced wind as a factor a lighter disc is easier to get up to higher speed. However in my limited experience of throwing 150/blizzard discs they seem to be significantly more understable right across the speed range, to I would say that although they are still calling them the same disc and rating the fade, glide and turn with the same numbers, they are really not and you should probably subtract 1-2 points off both the fade and turn numbers to give you a fairer picture. So masking poor form with a 138g Boss is no different to doing it with a 172g Roadrunner.
[Standard post disclaimer] My posts are never intended to undermine the work of the Board or individuals putting in effort to grow the sport, they are my honest thoughts on the best ways to grow the game

BDGA: 145
PDGA: 8824

mealticket

Post by mealticket » Fri Jul 20, 2012 9:04 am

My 156g Blizzard Boss is definitely not as understable as my 173g Star Roadrunner. Maybe it's something to do with spinning it properly when I throw...

bruce

Post by bruce » Fri Jul 20, 2012 9:14 am

mealticket wrote:My 156g Blizzard Boss is definitely not as understable as my 173g Star Roadrunner. Maybe it's something to do with spinning it properly when I throw...
I didn't say it was, I said masking a problem with one flippy high speed driver is the same as masking it with another.
[Standard post disclaimer] My posts are never intended to undermine the work of the Board or individuals putting in effort to grow the sport, they are my honest thoughts on the best ways to grow the game

Paul Holden

Post by Paul Holden » Mon Jul 23, 2012 7:58 pm

Neil P might have a point about the spin though. I certainly feel like it is easier to get more snap with an underweight* disc. *150g or lighter.
with speed ratings you can't yet throw at.
...and in some cases will _never_ be able to throw at. I can't really see myself ever needing a speed 13 driver for backhand (although I do use a Vulcan sidearm).
Paul Holden
BDGA No. 307
PDGA No. 34662

neil

Post by neil » Tue Jul 24, 2012 8:57 am

My 2 Pence worth for what it is worth. I only use my faster rated discs for sidearm drives. As I don’t have an orthodox sidearm I find that my 3 star destroyers (at different stabilities) and for windier conditions T rex stand up to the throw better but if the thermals and breeze are right I love to drive with a 150 star t bird. It’s smoother easier to get snap and glides lovely.

Del

Post by Del » Wed Jul 25, 2012 11:33 am

In the shop at QP I have the selection charts on view, and I explain that flight patterns shown for speed 13 discs assume a distance of 400 feet, so if they only throw 200 feet, they can ignore the first half of the flight path, leaving the tail end of the flight where the discs generally fade off left dramatically. This tends to bring the point home for most people, although of course sometimes it's just a matter of how cool the disc looks, and I'm wasting my breath :roll:
Derek Robins
Quarry Park Disc Golf

bruce

Post by bruce » Wed Jul 25, 2012 12:23 pm

Del wrote:I think you should have one, maybe two of each disc, all available at the QP shop
That was a quick edit ;)

neil

Post by neil » Thu Jul 26, 2012 11:40 am

I think this video also explains exactly what Jester is trying to say, it's a little sales orientated and maybe a little condescending but it does explain exactly why you should buy within your ability and how to progress up the Disc charts.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=en ... gPyng&NR=1

Paul Holden

Post by Paul Holden » Mon Aug 06, 2012 9:59 am

neil wrote:My 2 Pence worth for what it is worth. I only use my faster rated discs for sidearm drives. As I don’t have an orthodox sidearm I find that my 3 star destroyers (at different stabilities) and for windier conditions T rex stand up to the throw better but if the thermals and breeze are right I love to drive with a 150 star t bird. It’s smoother easier to get snap and glides lovely.
150g T-bird is a lovely side-arm disc, allows great control and long low shots. Love it on wooded holes.
Paul Holden
BDGA No. 307
PDGA No. 34662