British Open 2010

News from the PDGA EuroTour and farther afield.
bruce

Post by bruce » Tue Jul 06, 2010 10:43 am

A better solution might be to fill between the boards with bark chips, which are relatively cheap and very natural
[Standard post disclaimer] My posts are never intended to undermine the work of the Board or individuals putting in effort to grow the sport, they are my honest thoughts on the best ways to grow the game

BDGA: 145
PDGA: 8824

james

Post by james » Tue Jul 06, 2010 11:26 am

The whole problem with the tees is a reasonable criticism i understand but at the same time as Jester said we cannot upset the balance of the farm.
Also what everyone must understand is that Whitcombe is not a permanent course and we cannot make changes to the place like we can to Quarry Park or Croydon. The tee mats are the best option without playing on the grass which would also be bad if it was raining, so if someone thinks of an alternate solution that can be easily put in place and taken away after every tournament then that may be ok, but until then the tee mats are the easiest and most effective way of playing the course.
:D
Ken Climo isn't the only Champ.

"You don't win friends with salad" Homer Simpson

BDGA #135
PDGA #8856

LostMeow

Post by LostMeow » Tue Jul 06, 2010 12:22 pm

Thanks to all who had a hand in setting up and running the weekend: I had a wonderful, wonderful time. My first time at Whitcombe, I can now see why it is so revered! Awesome holes and views, I'd love the chance to play some of them again in less pressured circumstances! Empty the bag down Hypotenuse, have a go at Megabunny etc. etc. Incredible place!

One thing that continues to amaze me is the double-standard that seems to exist in course design: half the time is spent making it as difficult as possible, then the other half complaining about how difficult it is to drive off the tee! Nobody was complaining about the difficulty of throwing from the fairways - lumps, bumps, thistles, slipping on sheep ****... - yet when it comes to tee pads you want a Heathrow runway? If you can't take a massive run-up for fear of slipping, then don't, perhaps? (Although, having said that, I can see how those rubber mats become more slippery than the ground underneath when they're wet...)
Tom
ND

Charlie Mead

Post by Charlie Mead » Tue Jul 06, 2010 5:56 pm

Thank you for all the positive comments about the event. It is much appreciated and I hope we can build on the event to produce a better one in the near future. We have just finished dismantling the courses and put the farm back to rights and I would like to make a few comments:

Players were incredibly respectful of the farm as a working entity. They cleared up ALL their rubbish and helped put things back in the right place.

I had a few negative comments about some aspects which will be taken on bard, but the majority of mails and texts I have had have been very positive, especially from the Scandinavian players.

Dottie and James were happy with the way most players behaved most of the time. Boundaries were made and nearly all players kept to them, which meant that D and J had their privacy amidst a sea of humanity.

As for the future, remarkably my youngest son has made a major, pertinent point. The Green's do not want working parties to descend on them. They do not want to loan their baskets out. They do not want random (or even familiar) visitors without express permission. They certainly do not want tee'sbeing made on a pemanant basis. This is a course we are invited to. It does not 'belong' to players. Simply put we have no rights here. Please respect that.

Staff needing more recognition? Andy Lucey - 7 solid days work. Tom Soper for the music and band. James Luton - 4 days flat out! And all the family and friends who provided all the food (Dan , Oli, Kennedy, Maggi, Lu and children choppers)

I take on board Bruce's comments about final hole format and lack of information. All the Final Holes for both groups were on the web site since January but some clarification of OB's should have been made.

I the final 4 weeks 47 players dropped out. We made plans and ordered food and merchandise on the basis of 150 being registered on May 24th - final registration time. This needs to be addressed amongst Member nations but also by the BDGA. In the end over a dozed GB players dropped in the final week or did not turn up at all. I find that very difficult to understand. It is not only rude it puts TD's in a very difficult position financially andorganisationally. The 9 GB players who did not turn up on Friday meant that Jon Lee and the team had NO chance of putting groups together for the Players Meeting, something I find unacceptable.

This was an ambitious project. It nearly worked. As Jester said it needs a bigger staff team for prep and on-site management but I believe this was a really well received event by the Europeans. They all want to come back.

Finally, THANK YOU to everyone who came. I had a great 30th Disc Sport birthday and all those who made it happen are much loved.
Charlie Mead
charlie.mead01@gmail.com
http://www.cpsforchildren.com
http://www.mulldiscgolf.org.uk
For Tournament Discs see:
http://www.disczoo.com/

rhatton1

Post by rhatton1 » Wed Jul 07, 2010 9:21 am

@Charlie

Was trying to pm this message to you but have just noticed that the one i sent on the 18th June is still in my Outbox, as was the one I just tried to send, not sure why as am not the most technical, maybe your quota is full on BDGA?

,Are you sure you were receiving all emails? I emailed to say I couldn't attend twice on the 8th June, once on the 14th and once on the 18th June. I also at that stage pm'd on here and sent a text to make sure (in fairness there is every chance the number was wrong as it was one I dug out from 3 years ago) , I was still showing as registered in the week up to the Open (and during) and was accused of rudeness/inconsiderateness as a result, on an open public facebook page.

I'm sorry I couldn;t let you know before the 24th May but unfortunately my circumstances changed quite dramatically in between and it meant I had to pull out, the money just was not available.
www.discgolfuk.com
richard@discgolfuk.com
Home of the Midlands One Day Series
Talk to us about courses!

Charlie Mead

Post by Charlie Mead » Wed Jul 07, 2010 10:28 am

A note on absentees:

Rich Hatton is blameless. I knew he was not coming.

The problem was with those GB players who registered and did not let me know they were not coming at all. As I said to Rich this morning this may be because there is still an expectation amongst GB players that they can just turn up to an event at the point of registration. This is clearly not the case with a Euro Tour event where everyone is expected to be a PDGA member to even play.

Having said which there were also 8 European players who did not show either. And 5 who registered, did not pay but did turn up! Not ideal but better than nothing. 5 GB players also turned up who had registered but not paid.

From a field of 150 on 24th May we had 103 in the end. A 30% reduction hurts in every way, not least in the level of expectation!!

Enough said - Off to 29 degrees in Stockholm!
Charlie Mead
charlie.mead01@gmail.com
http://www.cpsforchildren.com
http://www.mulldiscgolf.org.uk
For Tournament Discs see:
http://www.disczoo.com/

ultiali

Post by ultiali » Wed Jul 07, 2010 12:20 pm

Not a criticism but I was suprised that you were able to register without having to pay any money.

I know that isn't the way with disc golf events , but maybe it should be different for big events.

rhatton1

Post by rhatton1 » Fri Jul 09, 2010 12:35 pm

can anyone who was there do a short write up of the event to put on the front news page of BDGA. I'm looking at you here James seeing as you keep telling me how incredibly intelligent you are, now with your A/s levels over you should have some time on your hands...
www.discgolfuk.com
richard@discgolfuk.com
Home of the Midlands One Day Series
Talk to us about courses!

james

Post by james » Sat Jul 10, 2010 2:37 pm

rhatton1 wrote:can anyone who was there do a short write up of the event to put on the front news page of BDGA. I'm looking at you here James seeing as you keep telling me how incredibly intelligent you are, now with your A/s levels over you should have some time on your hands...
As much as i would love to i still have college for another week, and i didn't really keep track of what happened so i couldn't give a really accurate description :)
Ken Climo isn't the only Champ.

"You don't win friends with salad" Homer Simpson

BDGA #135
PDGA #8856

ssouth

Photos

Post by ssouth » Sat Jul 10, 2010 6:46 pm

Where does Jon Lee put his pictures nowadays???
looking forward to seeing them :-)
the comedy legends

Jon

Post by Jon » Mon Jul 12, 2010 7:41 am

I'll put em up and let everyone know in this thread when they're ready.

Jon

Post by Jon » Sat Jul 31, 2010 12:13 pm

Pics are up at the new (and still under construction) sandblaggers.com site.

Link straight to this pics is Here

As a small taster.... this beauty from Dunc!

West

Post by West » Mon Aug 02, 2010 8:22 am

Dancing or throwing?! ;-)
"West"
PDGA: #8823
BDGA: #250
Twitter: @WestDiscGolf
BDGA DoC 2007 - 2011

dunc

Post by dunc » Mon Aug 02, 2010 9:41 am

West wrote:Dancing or throwing?! ;-)
Mincing..... cheers Jon! :evil: