British Open 2010

News from the PDGA EuroTour and farther afield.
Mr.Scary

Post by Mr.Scary » Thu Jul 01, 2010 4:04 pm

JesseD wrote:there will be lunches between rounds on sat and sunday only,,, so i think, that is the way it normally is.
Can you guess how much they'll be?
5 quid?
7.50?

Thanks!
"By far, the most important part of any shot is what is happening in the last split second as the disc is pulling itself from your grip. Focus there. It's the key."

"Don't let what you cannot do interfere with what you can do."

bruce

Post by bruce » Thu Jul 01, 2010 4:10 pm

Tournament fees include lunches on Sat and Sun
[Standard post disclaimer] My posts are never intended to undermine the work of the Board or individuals putting in effort to grow the sport, they are my honest thoughts on the best ways to grow the game

BDGA: 145
PDGA: 8824

Mr.Scary

Post by Mr.Scary » Thu Jul 01, 2010 4:34 pm

bruce wrote:Tournament fees include lunches on Sat and Sun

Wow!!!

1st class man!!

:trophyfirst:
"By far, the most important part of any shot is what is happening in the last split second as the disc is pulling itself from your grip. Focus there. It's the key."

"Don't let what you cannot do interfere with what you can do."

Charlie Mead

Post by Charlie Mead » Fri Jul 02, 2010 7:44 am

Anyone leaving London after 1 who can give 3 Germans a lift to whitcombe please call me asap if possible. Thank you
Charlie Mead
charlie.mead01@gmail.com
http://www.cpsforchildren.com
http://www.mulldiscgolf.org.uk
For Tournament Discs see:
http://www.disczoo.com/

rhatton1

Post by rhatton1 » Sun Jul 04, 2010 8:00 am

Are there score updates anywhere?
www.discgolfuk.com
richard@discgolfuk.com
Home of the Midlands One Day Series
Talk to us about courses!

Village

Post by Village » Sun Jul 04, 2010 8:47 am

not sure who's leading, but Bruce was top place Brit overnight....
The worst thing about having a failing memory is.....no, its gone...

Running with scissors since 1977

BDGA 173 PDGA 8831

rhatton1

Post by rhatton1 » Sun Jul 04, 2010 5:03 pm

Scores?
www.discgolfuk.com
richard@discgolfuk.com

bruce

Post by bruce » Sun Jul 04, 2010 5:59 pm

Not sure if the scores will be done tonight or not. Feldberg won by a few from German vunderkid Simon.

I finished tied 9th, and was the only Brit to make the Open final. Jester was 25th I think, with Matt 28th or so, not sure where Jared ended up, but he did bag the only ace of the weekend on Spring Jump.
Dunc, Jesse and Rick were DFL, SFL and TFL respectively.
Del finished 7th in Masters, Charlie won Grandmasters and Sue was 2nd in Womens.

In Ams, Toby Green won GM, Dan Massey won Masters, Soph won womens, and Tim Emmot was 2nd overall, James 3rd, with Dan Ryan 5th.
Last edited by bruce on Sun Jul 04, 2010 11:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[Standard post disclaimer] My posts are never intended to undermine the work of the Board or individuals putting in effort to grow the sport, they are my honest thoughts on the best ways to grow the game

Jared Farrell

Post by Jared Farrell » Sun Jul 04, 2010 7:04 pm

Think I dropped to 17th after an awful 3rd round.

bruce

Post by bruce » Sun Jul 04, 2010 11:26 pm

Provisional results up: http://www.pdga.com/tournament-results? ... ngs=1#Open

It appears I did Mr Murphy a disservice, Neal Pickett was TFL, Rick was just FFL :)

ultiali

Post by ultiali » Mon Jul 05, 2010 8:21 am

bruce wrote:Not sure if the scores will be done tonight or not. Feldberg won by a few from German vunderkid Simon.

I finished tied 9th, and was the only Brit to make the Open final. Jester was 25th I think, with Matt 28th or so, not sure where Jared ended up, but he did bag the only ace of the weekend on Spring Jump.
Dunc, Jesse and Rick were DFL, SFL and TFL respectively.
Del finished 7th in Masters, Charlie won Grandmasters and Sue was 2nd in Womens.

In Ams, Toby Green won GM, Dan Massey won Masters, Soph won womens, and Tim Emmot was 2nd overall, James 3rd, with Dan Ryan 5th.
Turns out you did pretty well with your own discs. Well done Bruce!

rhatton1

Post by rhatton1 » Mon Jul 05, 2010 9:17 am

Jared Farrell wrote:Think I dropped to 17th after an awful 3rd round.
a Year and a half ago you were fighting out the Int am final at QP Spring Fling, I would say 17th in British Open was a fairly respectable placing!! Congratulations on the ace, and a +1000 rated round.
www.discgolfuk.com
richard@discgolfuk.com

West

Post by West » Mon Jul 05, 2010 10:25 am

I'd like to thank Charlie and his team for a cracking weekend of golf. It was really enjoyable ... one day my game might arrive at one of these events as well.

Struggling with staying awake tho at the moment; anyone else completely shattered?!
"West"
PDGA: #8823
BDGA: #250
Twitter: @WestDiscGolf
BDGA DoC 2007 - 2011

bruce

Post by bruce » Mon Jul 05, 2010 2:12 pm

West wrote:I'd like to thank Charlie and his team for a cracking weekend of golf. It was really enjoyable ... one day my game might arrive at one of these events as well.

Struggling with staying awake tho at the moment; anyone else completely shattered?!
Couldn't agree more, an excellent weekend.

One learning point I forgot to mention to Charlie on Sunday, so I'll stick it here in the hopes he reads it on his Swedish travels!

Whilst the course handbooks, maps and tee signs were great in general they only covered the two 18s, there was no mention of the final layouts or even the couple of new holes that people hadn't played. There was a fair bit of confusion from folks reading the layout on the noticeboard with their course handbooks trying to tie hole names to courses and locations to work out where they had to go.

Also, while I was pleased to get to play Muffin's Horror (Or Mercy! as I think it should be called) after coming up with the hole, and particularly happy that I got my par 5, I think a little thought is needed into the OB rules there. I propose the following:
  • OB on your drive - Drop Zone is tee of Horror
    OB on subsequent attempts to get through the gap - normal Horror Drop Zone
That would eliminate the 'did it cross IB or not' debate that Christian Sandstrom had after very nearly driving through in one, but leave you able to make par by driving OB, then effectively birdying Horror.

james

Post by james » Mon Jul 05, 2010 3:54 pm

a really great weekend, sadly i was unable to get that last shot on tim to take second :(
but i will tell you one thing, next year there is no way im going down a week early to do work, my body ACHESSSS!
hope everybody enjhoyed the course and looking forward to next years open if we run it again, who knows...
Ken Climo isn't the only Champ.

"You don't win friends with salad" Homer Simpson

BDGA #135
PDGA #8856

Paul Holden

Post by Paul Holden » Mon Jul 05, 2010 7:17 pm

I'll add my thanks to Charlie, the Greens and all the team.

Two great weekends at the best two farms in the country, Worthy and Whitcombe, who could ask for more. 8)
Paul Holden
BDGA No. 307
PDGA No. 34662

Del

Post by Del » Mon Jul 05, 2010 9:33 pm

It was a great weekend and thoroughly enjoyable despite some mediocre play by myself. I'll echo the thanks to the Greens/Meads/Lutons and I think Nige, Rich Wood and Jon Lee were great too. Add in Jester and Pope for groundswork.

One point for the future, we were lucky with the weather, not just in that it's nice to play in warm sunny conditions, but some tees were totally treacherous after the rain on Thursday night and Friday morning. Even without a run up it was difficult to throw. I think there is a cheap solution possible, which is to look out for artificial grass pitches which are being replaced. I think these end up in landfill so they could be free, although of course it's not a trivial task to cut them up and transport them. It may not be practical to top dress each tee with 100+kg of sand (as at QP) but good staking should minimise rucking.
Derek Robins
Quarry Park Disc Golf

Jester

Post by Jester » Tue Jul 06, 2010 10:12 am

West wrote:Struggling with staying awake tho at the moment; anyone else completely shattered?!
Yep, had that feeling from the first throw of R1 and submitted utterly to it throughout R3.

I love Whitcombe and I love doing the course work, but after a week of strimming, lugging tee mats and a 350mile shuttlebus round trip to Gatwick and Heathrow I had less than nothing left in the tank to play on. It's simply not possilbe for such a small team to set up two 18 hole courses without a knock-on effect on playing form.

It leaves me in a very difficult position for future years: do I sacrifice my chance to be competetive at the tournament to benefit the majoritiy of players?
Jester
BDGA #128
PDGA #8817
------------------------------------------------------
Croydon DGC: Hyzer Cup Champions 08/09, 13/14

mat cutler

Post by mat cutler » Tue Jul 06, 2010 10:29 am

I would also like to say a massive thankyou to all staff, players and of course the green family. A special mention to charlie too, as a recent TD and player I know how difficult it is to perform while also being TD!

I would like to congratulate all the hard work that went on out on the course, I helped john and charlie on the first working weekend measuring holes etc. 617, NoMaDs and magic's mansion where unrecognisable!

I agree with del, tees are a problem at whitcombe, they have been for a number of years. The rubber mats which I believe were purchased at a fairly high cost have never worked out and provided the grip required.

I know charlie ended up having financial worries due to the number of dropouts prior to the tournament but with such a high turnover event would it of not been possible to generate some funds to provide some legacy from the event? This could then be used to provide materials to build proper tees where required.

I don't think permenant Astro tees would be possible at whitcombe like QP(sheep and I don't think the green's would be keen). If each tee position could be cut out so that a 4mx2m flat area bordered by wooden boards. Some improved drainage underneath the topsoil (hardcore would work) on certain tees would be great. For tournaments rolls of astro could be put out over these?

I am quite happy to coordinate such work and I also a propose a few working weekends this autumn. Would anyone be keen in joining me?

We could run them as mini tournaments/works say 18 holes in the am. lunch then work in the pm. A small fee for the tournament could help pay for the materials?

I'll have a talk with dottie and see what she thinks and come back with some dates etc.

matt

Jester

Post by Jester » Tue Jul 06, 2010 10:41 am

mat cutler wrote:I am quite happy to coordinate such work and I also a propose a few working weekends this autumn. Would anyone be keen in joining me?

We could run them as mini tournaments/works say 18 holes in the am. lunch then work in the pm. A small fee for the tournament could help pay for the materials?

I'll have a talk with dottie and see what she thinks and come back with some dates etc.

matt
Matt, while your heart is in the right place and your enthusiasm to improve the Whitcomeb playing experience is admirable, please remember we have to tread extremely lightly here.

Whitcombe Farm is a farm that we are all privileged enough to get to play discgolf on, it's not a disc golf course with a sheep problem. It is also James and Dotty's home and above all else that must always be respected.
Jester
BDGA #128
PDGA #8817
------------------------------------------------------
Croydon DGC: Hyzer Cup Champions 08/09, 13/14