European Championships 2010

News from the PDGA EuroTour and farther afield.
West

Post by West » Sat Aug 28, 2010 7:08 pm

C'mon Jester!!! :D
"West"
PDGA: #8823
BDGA: #250
Twitter: @WestDiscGolf
BDGA DoC 2007 - 2011

richard

Post by richard » Sun Aug 29, 2010 7:37 am

Come on Jester... Come on Croydon
BDGA #259
PDGA #8840
-------------------------------------------------------
Croydon DGC: Hyzer Cup Champions 08/09 and 2013/14

Scuttler

Post by Scuttler » Mon Aug 30, 2010 4:04 pm

Any feedback from the attendees now that it's over?

Looks like Jester managed to finish strongly and cash quite comfortably. Good work, son. :D

Jester

Post by Jester » Tue Aug 31, 2010 8:31 am

Quick note to say thanks for the support, guys. :)

It was a cracking event, two super-tough courses of very different character. One l-o-n-g and fairly open (Olhaim) but with loads of OB ropes and some whipping cross-winds to contend with, and one (Wingles) slightly shorter but heavily wooded and little chance of recovery from off-line tee shots.

I'll post a bit more when I have time.
Jester
BDGA #128
PDGA #8817
------------------------------------------------------
Croydon DGC: Hyzer Cup Champions 08/09, 13/14

james

Post by james » Tue Aug 31, 2010 11:02 am

bruce wrote:And looking at the hole scores on the EC site, a 9 on the par 3 8th for James, and an 8 on the par 5 7th for Rick!

Wingles definitely looks the easier course
Oh believe me, in the wind, ohlain was possibly the hardest course i have ever played.
Ken Climo isn't the only Champ.

"You don't win friends with salad" Homer Simpson

BDGA #135
PDGA #8856

james

Post by james » Tue Aug 31, 2010 11:09 am

General overall view, i played RUBBISH! but had a great time just hanging out there.
the two courses were good ohlain being very open but played on a golf course so you had alot of skip OB's which were not pleasant. Wingles however was a really nice technique course some long holes and some short ones, a good mixture.
a few problems for example the baskets being made of some sort of crappy metal that was so heavy the disc just hit it and bounced out, following the open players round Jesper had atleast 4 spitouts from perfect puts, and simon broke the binding ring on the basket with a putt so poor form there i feel, was also dissapointed at only being able to play with the people in your division as i like playing with masters and Gmasters etc but this format made things far too competitive for someone who wanted to just go and have a laugh.

Overall a good competition though, Camilla stormed through to beat Birgitta for the first time (what a time to do it)
KJ put up a good fight but couldnt hold off Jesper who also drew level for the lead with Simon in the final but he went for a long downhill putt and inevitably missed it so Jesper was back in the lead for the win.
Marco Lehousse stormed the masters with Paul Francz taking a nervy win in the GM's
Seppo won the juniors by i think 26 and played the tournament of his life, fair play to him he would have been second in the open i think, i still hate him for being so good though :)

BDGA #135
PDGA #8856

ssouth

Post by ssouth » Tue Aug 31, 2010 4:12 pm

France was brilliant absolutely loved it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! thank you Sue for giving me the opportunity hopefully next time we can both have the opportunity, def got the bug for more tournys abroad!!!

The tourny was so well oganised i was very impressed. Like James i would honestly say i underperformed and would av liked a 8th or 9th place but i did really enjoy it, met loads of people that were all friendly!!

Both courses were very different from each other, it was a great experience and hopefully i av learnt alot hehe. Camilla played extremly well congrats to her it was very well deserved. She was great and gave me some advice.

had a shock 2mins before a round at Wingles when this gigantic oak tree decided to fall some 10yrds away, luckly falling the other way to us, however one man did have to run for it leaving his coat and a disc, with the basket also getting abit squashed. but luckily no1 was hurt.

Only real problem we had was with the map that was provided. eeeek
the comedy legends

DamnMassive

Post by DamnMassive » Tue Aug 31, 2010 6:39 pm

Fantastic trip for me matt and jester.

Courses had some awesome holes - lost of clever design, after six rounds I wanted to play more (not that the body would have coped), all played in some incredible conditions including some howling winds.

The organisation was superb, and having met Florence (TD) and Loic (CD) in past years at WF I was fortunate enough to tell them so. All aided by 80 volunteer helpers - Thats more than we get regular players! and more spotters than we get to play in a tourney.

My most memorable hole of the tourney? a 147m par 4 with a fairway that narrowed to about 10m wide after 90m, with dense bushes (OB) each side - best result? OB4

Lots of full on golf though! we were up between half five and six every morning to play!

all most excellent.....apart from the Team T-shirts.....thanks acers.

Jon

Post by Jon » Wed Sep 01, 2010 3:37 pm

Any occasion..... :roll:

Jester

Post by Jester » Wed Sep 01, 2010 3:51 pm

Jon wrote:Any occasion..... :roll:
Weddings, funerals and bar mitzvahs.

And European Discgolf Championship medal ceremonies when requested to by the TD. :)
Jester
BDGA #128
PDGA #8817
------------------------------------------------------
Croydon DGC: Hyzer Cup Champions 08/09, 13/14

BOF

Post by BOF » Wed Sep 01, 2010 4:44 pm

What's the name of that great big bag of wind that makes such an insufferable din?

Altogether now...

Jester!

BOF

Big Pipes (or should that be 'Bagpipes'?)
BDGA #33
PDGA #8835

http://www.ashvillediscgolf.co.uk

ssouth

Post by ssouth » Wed Sep 01, 2010 5:39 pm

Alittle bit of footage - its not the best im afraid this is my first attempt at a video, i couldnt find an easy way of up loading it, so in the end recorded it again on my phone hence my reflection in places, but abit of sound with jesters performance - which was pretty good!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eFxacWDCLYA
the comedy legends

ssouth

Post by ssouth » Thu Sep 02, 2010 7:00 pm

Well,.,. I was at school yesterday and the deputy head said she saw me on the news???

anyone got any idea?
the comedy legends

Del

Post by Del » Thu Sep 02, 2010 9:25 pm

Two great courses which really complimented each other. Fantastic to have so many spotters, they were even present on practice days! Huge repect for Florence and the EC machine.

Personally I had a crap first round, then gradually clawed my way back up the rankings before finishing with a crap last round. The only thing that really bugged me was the flies in the main hall.

I had a great time, but was glad to get back home ... in one piece, as I was relying on John's driving. He is easily distracted while driving, which is normally a bad thing, but when his main focus is on playing with the SatNav or music then it's a good thing to be distracted by the road ahead :P :P

BTW Bruce, here is my summary of all the useful points from the 2 evenings of Euro Committee Meetings [Start] [end] Those hours are lost forever :(
Derek Robins
Quarry Park Disc Golf

Village

Post by Village » Mon Sep 06, 2010 11:16 am

ssouth wrote:Well,.,. I was at school yesterday and the deputy head said she saw me on the news???

anyone got any idea?
dunno, maybe we get a different version of Crimewatch where I live......
The worst thing about having a failing memory is.....no, its gone...

Running with scissors since 1977

BDGA 173 PDGA 8831

james

Post by james » Tue Sep 07, 2010 11:50 am

Village wrote:
ssouth wrote:Well,.,. I was at school yesterday and the deputy head said she saw me on the news???

anyone got any idea?
dunno, maybe we get a different version of Crimewatch where I live......
OHHHHHHH SNAP!

BDGA #135
PDGA #8856