MODS #3 - 20th March -Cold Ashby - Northamptonshire

Does what it says on the tin
andrewdouse

MODS #3 - 20th March -Cold Ashby - Northamptonshire

Post by andrewdouse » Thu Mar 10, 2016 10:23 am

From the Midlands One Day Series Thread.....

The UK Disc Golf One Day Series event #3 is now open for registration -
http://www.discgolfuk.com/midlands-one-day-series

This is at a new temporary course on a beautiful golf course in the rolling hills of North Northamptonshire.

We will be using 17 MVP Black Hole baskets and 1 Prodiscus Targetti basket.

We expect to have astro tees.

There is a fantastic mix of woods, elevation, water, tight fairways and expansive fairways. It's going to be a lovely place to play Disc Golf with the temporary course layout playing to a par of at least 63, with a couple of holes still to be finalised.

If we make a success of this event it is very likely that a course will be installed here so we would love as many of you as possible to come along!

There is a lovely clubhouse on site with bar and restaurant which will be serving breakfast and lunch with WIFI and television. Might even have a chance to do round 1 scores at lunchtime!

We hope to see you on tour!

Disc Golf UK

registered players so far...
http://www.pdga.com/tour/event/25248

BDGA# 373 PDGA# 51346

rhatton1

Re: MODS #3 - 20th March -Cold Ashby - Northamptonshire

Post by rhatton1 » Wed Mar 16, 2016 7:45 pm

Registered players up to 35 now with a few more expected still - still plenty of time to sign up! Lovely to see Ivan and Sue on the list for their first MODS foray :)

The course will be open to play from 3 pm on Saturday, green fees payable of £12 at the pro shop on arrival. They have also offered a round of golf round of disc golf deal on the saturday for £25 which is great value as a normal golf green fee is £20.70 - tee times are going fast though so book now if interested - 01604 740099. There are quite a few people looking to do this and are arranging it in the Midlands One Day Series thread on facebook - you don't have to be playing in the tournament to play on the saturday.

The clubhouse will be open from 7 am on Sunday and will be serving bacon sandwiches and tea/coffees etc for all and any interested parties :) You will be able to play and warm up on the course from then.

I aim to arrive around 8 am to set up and there will be discs for sale with a selection of Prodiscus, Prodigy and MVP.

Lunchtime competition will be a longest drive comp with a disc and trophy for the overall winner and a disc prize for the longest int/ladies division player.

Spot prizes for longest drive and CTP to play for during the day for Open/Adv and all other divisions separately.

I look forward to seeing you all there in a truly stunning part of Northamptonshire in what is looking like favourable weather at this stage. If you have any questions drop me an email to richard@discgolfuk.com
www.discgolfuk.com
richard@discgolfuk.com
Home of the Midlands One Day Series
Talk to us about courses!

rhatton1

Post by rhatton1 » Wed Mar 16, 2016 7:47 pm

cold ashby jpg.jpg
cold ashby jpg.jpg (107.42 KiB) Viewed 1415 times
Map of the course, par 62 overall
www.discgolfuk.com
richard@discgolfuk.com

rhatton1

Post by rhatton1 » Wed Mar 16, 2016 7:55 pm

Lunches will also be available at the clubhouse and they will bring these to our own function area.

They are suggesting a choice of Ham/Egg and Chips, Chilli and Rice or Beefburger and Chips which you would select at players meeting in the morning and it will be ready for you when you return at lunch. There are other selections on the menu but they may take longer to cook. I will confirm prices on Friday but it will be around £5
www.discgolfuk.com
richard@discgolfuk.com

rhatton1

Post by rhatton1 » Tue Mar 22, 2016 12:05 pm

I think that went rather well :)

Superb day on Sunday - we got lucky with the weather again but were more lucky to play in such a truly incredible location.

The owners were delighted with the turnout and with how everything was conducted, including the players themselves (many of you meet a demographic they have been chasing for golf for years!)So thank you for coming and thank you for treating the course with such respect.

As always interested to hear any feedback - we had three design trips of a couple of hours each to put that course in and had to make a number of late changes from the earlier layout (my 18th hole down to the lake would have been lovely :( one day we will all lose discs there...) so there were certainly some things that could have been improved. One thing that didn't help was the amount of rain a couple of weeks ago - some of the streams (behind 10 and 7 especially had lowered by almost a meter from the first time I looked - truly incredible force of nature!)

i am hopeful of now being allowed to play down the mountain behind hole 16 which we all wanted and to have a par 4 playing up as 15 with the area which was the green being the ideal landing zone for the par 4.

Drop zone on hole 7 was a good idea, to toughen it up slightly.

Hole 10 needs some work.

Hole 18 - I think i found a better tee with a bit of cutting on sunday.

Any other thoughts?

Scores http://www.pdga.com/tour/event/25248

There will be a newsletter out soon.

Winners of spot prizes
Open and Am longest drive - Chris Malatesta - huge measure to about 140 meters uphill, beating his already huge drive
CTP James Luton with his 3rd shot of the day.

Other division Longest drive - Sue Underwood, just piping Graham Proctor at the post!
CTP Was it Toby? I've forgotten!

Massive thanks to Cold Ashby for the venue, food and for letting us play.
Big thanks to the sponsors of the tour, Disc Golf UK, Prodiscus, MVP and Prodigy
Huge thanks to those that stepped up to my panicked call on Friday morning for traveller baskets (it got tight with the MVP's!! ) but especially YMCA hire https://ymca-cw.org.uk/ymca-hire and Derek Robins
And lastly a ginormous thanks to everyone that helped put the day together, Gary and Sian for a huge effort getting the baskets in and out, Andrew Douse for all the map work and helping me get a temporary course up on Friday, Andrew Malcolm for the printing and Mark Davis for all his help on the day with organisation and scoring, Greig for taking away a number of baskets and his offers of help on the Friday (he was about to drive to Bath for me at one point - don't ask) and Sue and Ivan and everyone else for all the help after getting the flags and tee signs in.

I had a great day, incredibly enjoyable rounds, but the top card in the afternoon was especially memorable, consistent banter throughout.

Next ones Coventry on the 9th, i've got some organising to do!
www.discgolfuk.com
richard@discgolfuk.com

Greig

Post by Greig » Wed Mar 23, 2016 1:39 pm

Yes, it was Toby.

SueU

Post by SueU » Sat Mar 26, 2016 3:29 pm

Really enjoyed the day - big thanks to Rich and everyone else who helped out. Great course with some elevation, trees, fairways with various hazards! Few tweaks needed but good to have a few par 4s where need to think about where want to drive to so get best chance of birdie :D Thanks again

rhatton1

Post by rhatton1 » Mon Apr 04, 2016 2:44 pm

MODS Newsletter #3 - sorry for rubbish format - can;t find a way to host a PDF on here https://docs.google.com/document/d/1CAx ... sp=sharing
www.discgolfuk.com
richard@discgolfuk.com