BDGA # 6 - Bristol Open - May 22/23

Does what it says on the tin!

What tournamnet format would you prefer to play?

5 x 13 holes (3 sat, 2 sunday + 7 hole final)
19%
3 x18 holes + 9 hole final with long walks between 2 seperate 9 holes
31%
3 x(2*12), no final
50%

Total votes: 16

mat cutler

BDGA # 6 - Bristol Open - May 22/23

Post by mat cutler » Fri Mar 12, 2010 4:07 pm

Just working through the event licence application from the council and Putting together the invite, online registration etc.

In the meantime here is a course map for 2010 course

or link to google map so you can zoom in etc

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UTF8& ... 4&t=h&z=16

A lot of time and effort has been put in by all the bristol crew to come up with a challenging course which addresses the (long grass / to many public in the way / long walks between holes) issues. Camping and lunches will be on the school field and parking right next to the course too. saturday social will be in the dovecote pub 50yds from the 18th green and camping!

You are more than welcome to come down to bristol to play the course pre event just drop me a line and I'll come down to show you around and bring a portable target. Tweaks to the design will be welcome and considered although major changes of route will not be possible as the layout has been submitted to the park rangers office for approval.

If anyone knows the whereabouts of the BDGA rangefinder it would be really benficial to use it so that I can get accurate measurements for the hole lengths rather than going off google earth measurements.

Par is currently 58 (I've shot a 56!) Parkland style course a bit like a hilly essex! 3 ponds to catch you out (crystal water though so just a bit cold - should be able to wade in to retrieve discs) One woodland hole but aceable! The rest will require some long drives!

Holes 6 - 14 are going to be part of a proposal to the council for a permenant 9 hole course. I have got lots of interest from the Bristol evening post and a well attended BDGA tour event would be a great springboard for this proposal.

watch this space for the tournament invite and online registration coming soon!

many thanks

matt and all the bristol crew (Mark F, Neal P, Tom S, Rich A, Andy and Keith)
Last edited by mat cutler on Mon Mar 29, 2010 2:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bruce

Post by bruce » Fri Mar 12, 2010 4:31 pm

Stickied it for you.

Course looks interesting, looking forward to playing it.
[Standard post disclaimer] My posts are never intended to undermine the work of the Board or individuals putting in effort to grow the sport, they are my honest thoughts on the best ways to grow the game

BDGA: 145
PDGA: 8824

Village

Post by Village » Mon Mar 15, 2010 5:25 pm

bruce wrote:Stickied it for you.

Course looks interesting, looking forward to playing it.

^^^what he said^^^

like the sound of 50m pub to campervan parking!
The worst thing about having a failing memory is.....no, its gone...

Running with scissors since 1977

BDGA 173 PDGA 8831

pope

Bristol

Post by pope » Sun Mar 21, 2010 7:24 pm

Matt,

Great work on posting the course, it looks like a challenge and something different. I will be away on vacation at the time, so I will not be around.

Cheers

pope 8)

mat cutler

Post by mat cutler » Mon Mar 29, 2010 2:32 pm

I don't seem to be having much luck!

The proposed course I have designed for the upcoming bristol open is unfortunately going to fall fowl of hay growing in the bottom field. Despite regular communication with rangers the farmer has changed his mind without informing the estate management! I've been desperately trying to reschedule but almost impossible at ashton court!

Mark, tom and I spent 3 or 4 hours trying to link in existing holes from the nationals course and the new route. We had limited success due to the large flat open space between the two!

If you've noticed the poll at the top of the page I have 2 solutions...

i)A 13 hole course (to meet PDGA round rating requirements) that flows nicely has holes all next to each other. play 5 rounds over the weekend

sat round 1, tea and cake, round 2, lunch, round 3
sun round 4, tea and cake, round 5, lunch, 7 hole final. total 72holes (65 for non finalists)

see map....

ii) A 18 hole course with a couple of lengthy walks to link the to halves of the course. with semi and 9 hole final

sat round 1, lunch, round 2
sun round 1, lunch, 9 hole semi, tea and cake, 9 hole final total 72 holes (63 for non finalists)

see map...

I would certainly prefer option i) as there would be less baskets for me to put out and we get to eat more cake! but I also know many people fear change and like standard 18 hole formats.

:twisted:

please reply asap

bruce

Post by bruce » Mon Mar 29, 2010 2:44 pm

The "See map" bits don't seem to have a link?

I'd rather have a course that hangs together properly, but if you're looking at option 1, I would sack the finals off totally, 3*18 + 9 = 63, 5*13 = 65

Alternatively, drop 1 hole from the 13, but play round it twice with no break, so have 3 rounds of 24 and no final.
[Standard post disclaimer] My posts are never intended to undermine the work of the Board or individuals putting in effort to grow the sport, they are my honest thoughts on the best ways to grow the game

mat cutler

Post by mat cutler » Mon Mar 29, 2010 3:01 pm

mat cutler

Post by mat cutler » Mon Mar 29, 2010 3:17 pm

mat cutler

Post by mat cutler » Mon Mar 29, 2010 3:28 pm

bruce wrote:The "See map" bits don't seem to have a link?

I'd rather have a course that hangs together properly, but if you're looking at option 1, I would sack the finals off totally, 3*18 + 9 = 63, 5*13 = 65

Alternatively, drop 1 hole from the 13, but play round it twice with no break, so have 3 rounds of 24 and no final.
quite happy to have no final if that's what people want - no one every seems to watch them or take much interest anyhow!

bruce

Post by bruce » Mon Mar 29, 2010 3:47 pm

Ok, the walks don't seem too killer, but the only 2 holes in the extension that are really good are 8 and 13, and it doesn't seem worth it.

Obviously without knowing the land, I'd probably look to do something like combine 9&10 or 2&3 (something that works as a good longer hole), then play 3 * 24, no final. The course is short enough and compact enough to accommodate it.

If you play 5 * 13, you loose loads of time with people trekking out then back before/after the rounds, plus you have to score and resort the cards between each round, so you're massively increasing your workload.

mat cutler

Post by mat cutler » Mon Mar 29, 2010 4:30 pm

I'm just working on putting photos of the course up and adding this great add in for googlemaps gives you contour lines down to 3m!

http://maps.google.com/gadgets/director ... ntours.xml

hole3 is not at all definate may well change but just space to fit in an extra hole. definately not combine 9+10 photos will show more!

thanks for the input though!

my plan was to each player have their own card which they were responsible for. the first 2 rounds would be random like most first rounds, ie I wouldn't take the cards in. Good point on the walking in out factor though.

Del

Post by Del » Mon Mar 29, 2010 4:54 pm

No strong preference for 12/13 or 18, but I would want to play a 24 rather than 2x12 with a break inbetween.
Derek Robins
Quarry Park Disc Golf

mat cutler

Post by mat cutler » Mon Mar 29, 2010 8:34 pm

photos posted here

http://www.panoramio.com/user/2483412/t ... f%20course

they are geotags to exact locations off the google map.

distance and elevations are from google data ie +/- 20ft on distances and +/- 2m on elevation but fairly representative.

Scuttler

Post by Scuttler » Tue Mar 30, 2010 8:45 am

mat cutler wrote:The proposed course I have designed for the upcoming bristol open is unfortunately going to fall fowl of hay growing in the bottom field.
Bloody chickens, ruining our disc golf.

mat cutler

Post by mat cutler » Tue Mar 30, 2010 10:17 am

:shock: cluck cluck!

Village

Post by Village » Tue Mar 30, 2010 10:56 am

Got to say that i like the sound of 3*24 option, even though it means there'll be no cake......
The worst thing about having a failing memory is.....no, its gone...

Running with scissors since 1977

BDGA 173 PDGA 8831

bruce

Post by bruce » Tue Mar 30, 2010 11:25 am

mat cutler wrote:my plan was to each player have their own card which they were responsible for. the first 2 rounds would be random like most first rounds, ie I wouldn't take the cards in. Good point on the walking in out factor though.
Even with no scoring/resort, you're looking at probably 20-30 minutes difference between the first group and last group getting back to wherever the tea/cake is, then at least 15 minutes for folks to eat/drink it, then 10+ minutes to walk out to their tee. Absolute best case is 45 minutes, but more likely an hour. Instead, in that hour you could have played a minimum of 6 more holes (Whitcombe averages ~10mins per hole) probably closer to 9, and be just 3 holes from lunch on a 24, instead of another 13 holes after which you'll only have played an extra 2 holes!

It just doesn't make sense in terms of scheduling and time use to play 13s

mat cutler

Post by mat cutler » Tue Mar 30, 2010 4:57 pm

new map with all bells and whistles, click on the lines and basket symbols and tee markers for photos of each hole!

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps/ms?ie=UTF ... e&t=h&z=15

also I'm having real issues editing the poll can someone please put a new option

3 (12x2) option in place

mat cutler

Post by mat cutler » Thu Apr 01, 2010 11:50 am

thanks for the poll update, whoever that was!

just a note the 13's would be sat 26, 13. and sun 13, 13! no cake I'm afraid due to bruce's point of a 20 min break actually equates to an hour!

mat cutler

Post by mat cutler » Thu Apr 01, 2010 11:51 am

please vote this weekend as I need to submit the final course layout to the council on tuesday next week to get the event licence back in time!
cheers
matt
ps if you don't vote I'll do what I think is best and will ignore any wingeing as a result! :twisted: