Modern
90%
Ancient
10%

Total votes: 10

TobyGreen

BDGA Tour # 7 - Whitcombe Classic 2009

Post by TobyGreen » Tue Jun 30, 2009 9:10 pm

Here we go again. Loos have been ordered. First entries received. And the sun has come out. Must be time for the Classic - you know it makes sense!

This year: more beer, homemade sausages (we've got a sausage-making machine!) - oh, and a little DG.

See you all there!
Toby Green

TheGroover

Re: BDGA Tour # 7 - Whitcombe Classic 2009

Post by TheGroover » Wed Jul 01, 2009 7:21 am

TobyGreen wrote: This year: more beer, homemade sausages (we've got a sausage-making machine!) - oh, and a little DG.
See you all there!
Can't wait! I voted Ancient, but really, I don't care either way. I love the farm whichever 18 holes we play.

Oxdisc will be there en masse.
----------------
Keep up to date with Oxford's summer league...
Oxdisc blog: http://oxdisc.blogspot.com

dunc

Post by dunc » Wed Jul 01, 2009 8:03 am

I've voted Modern, because we seem to have played the ancient a lot more often in recent times....
The Treasurerrer..... hic!

PDGA #8822
BDGA #154

bruce

Post by bruce » Wed Jul 01, 2009 8:25 am

dunc wrote:I've voted Modern, because we seem to have played the ancient a lot more often in recent times....
This, with bells on. There must be a whole generation of golfers who don't know the buttock clenching fear of standing on the tee of 'To the knoll'.

It's time they were re-educated :twisted:
[Standard post disclaimer] My posts are never intended to undermine the work of the Board or individuals putting in effort to grow the sport, they are my honest thoughts on the best ways to grow the game

BDGA: 145
PDGA: 8824

Village

Post by Village » Wed Jul 01, 2009 8:46 am

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Wot Bruce sed........
The worst thing about having a failing memory is.....no, its gone...

Running with scissors since 1977

BDGA 173 PDGA 8831

West

Post by West » Wed Jul 01, 2009 8:53 am

bruce wrote:
dunc wrote:I've voted Modern, because we seem to have played the ancient a lot more often in recent times....
This, with bells on. There must be a whole generation of golfers who don't know the buttock clenching fear of standing on the tee of 'To the knoll'.

Did we not play that at the epic 27 hole Frostbreaker? I maybe wrong as I'm not that up with some of the names of the holes.

I'm up for which ever, as long as we don't have to play Badgers ;-)
"West"
PDGA: #8823
BDGA: #250
Twitter: @WestDiscGolf
BDGA DoC 2007 - 2011

dunc

Post by dunc » Wed Jul 01, 2009 9:04 am

West wrote:Did we not play that at the epic 27 hole Frostbreaker? I maybe wrong as I'm not that up with some of the names of the holes.
No we didn't, the epic 27 was played in the opposite direction around the course
The Treasurerrer..... hic!

PDGA #8822
BDGA #154

Village

Post by Village » Wed Jul 01, 2009 9:04 am

West wrote:
bruce wrote:

Did we not play that at the epic 27 hole Frostbreaker? I maybe wrong as I'm not that up with some of the names of the holes.

nope, we played "under the knoll" and "from the knoll" but not "to the Knoll"

BDGA 173 PDGA 8831

West

Post by West » Wed Jul 01, 2009 10:27 am

Village wrote:
West wrote:
bruce wrote: This, with bells on. There must be a whole generation of golfers who don't know the buttock clenching fear of standing on the tee of 'To the knoll'.

See, told you I'd get a bit confused ;-) ... is "to the knoll" the crazy one that the tee pad is beyond the fence at the top of the field, and you have to get it over the gate on the other side of the drop, with the basket near the trees (which we tee'd off under at Frostbreaker)??
"West"
BDGA DoC 2007 - 2011

Village

Post by Village » Wed Jul 01, 2009 10:31 am

West wrote:
Village wrote:
West wrote: Did we not play that at the epic 27 hole Frostbreaker? I maybe wrong as I'm not that up with some of the names of the holes.

See, told you I'd get a bit confused ;-) ... is "to the knoll" the crazy one that the tee pad is beyond the fence at the top of the field, and you have to get it over the gate on the other side of the drop, with the basket near the trees (which we tee'd off under at Frostbreaker)??
yep , that's the one!

BDGA 173 PDGA 8831

West

Post by West » Wed Jul 01, 2009 11:14 am

Village wrote:
West wrote:
Village wrote: nope, we played "under the knoll" and "from the knoll" but not "to the Knoll"
yep , that's the one!
Played it first time I ever went down to Beaminster, it was a bit scarey ... and unfortunately probably still can't drive far enough ;-)
"West"
BDGA DoC 2007 - 2011

Stew

Post by Stew » Wed Jul 01, 2009 8:00 pm

Looking forward to it, if I can raise the capital :)

Not wanting to hijack the thread, but can I just start sewing the seed of the ACE RACE at Croydon in October. I expect I'll be hearing from Discraft in the next month or so about the players packs etc. See events thread for updates.
Give a man a driver and he can play disc golf for years.
Give Stewart a disc and he'll lose it the same day!
-----------------------------------------------------------------
Croydon DGC: Hyzer Cup champions 08/09

jonny

Re: BDGA Tour # 7 - Whitcombe Classic 2009

Post by jonny » Thu Jul 02, 2009 7:37 am

Don't think I have played Modern so I'm sheepishly voting with the majority.

Any chance of an early list of registered players Toby?

JesseD

Post by JesseD » Thu Jul 02, 2009 8:29 am

i have only played 'to the knole' once in practace and once in toury 2003 British open! I've been really wanting to redeam myself on that hole.
um,,,, ah,,,, um,,, a,,, um,, ah,,,

mat cutler

Post by mat cutler » Sat Jul 04, 2009 10:04 am

excellent, can we maybe play both?

dependant on number of volunteers available to set the course out! (i'll be there from wednesday!)

I've just spent 3 days working and dorset and dottie and james very kindly let me stay at the summerhouse,

I was pretty busy and only got out to play 18 holes and after much nettle bashing with sticks and very painful legs. I played a rough composite (mainly ancient) but the course is looking pretty good, and playing tough 61 :evil: (not one 2! except spring jump) no wind, sunny evening.

a couple of the fences have been rebuilt and will require some stiles in places, notably digitalis also the house hole basket. A massive branch has fallen off a tree on the steps down from the tee of the hole after badgers and will need to be cleared. (unfortunately it has not made the gap for the drive any bigger! v tight now) Loads of cut wood and branches are piled behind bunny basket which some of which may need to be moved.

It is however lovely and dry and some of the modern holes which are played in and around the stream should all be playable. This lack of rain however means the amount of water flowing through the goolagong is very low. As a result it is very murky, pond weedy and very smelly. I foolishly went in a bit deeper than expected to retrieve my drive which looked within easy wading reach! I seriously doubt many of the kids will be offering the 50p disc return service!

Having spent 3 days coaching in local schools, Hopefully I have persuaded a fair number of them to enter - hopefully expect a large junior division. :D

matt

Jester

Post by Jester » Mon Jul 06, 2009 12:50 pm

mat cutler wrote:excellent, can we maybe play both?
matt
In short, no, for two good reasons:

1 It needs an army of people to fully prepare one Whitcombe 18 far less two (don't forget all the taking down work as well as the setting up)

2 In the 3x18 format players would only get to play play one of the courses once. Highly unsatisfactory and no chance to learn from a mistake and play it better in the next round
Last edited by Jester on Tue Jul 07, 2009 8:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jester
BDGA #128
PDGA #8817
------------------------------------------------------
Croydon DGC: Hyzer Cup Champions 08/09, 13/14

Village

Post by Village » Mon Jul 06, 2009 1:50 pm

Jester wrote:
mat cutler wrote:excellent, can we maybe play both?
matt
In short, no, for two good reasons:

1 It needs an army of people to fully prepare one Whitcombe 18 far less two (don't forget all the taking down work as well as the setting up)

2 In the 3x18 format players would only get to play play one of the courses once. Highly unsatisfactory and no chance to learn from a mistake and play it better in the next round
with regards to Jesters' first point, I'm going to be doing course prep this year (but undoubtably won't be allowed to "play" with any powered impliments), and I'd rather not knacker myself before I play the tourney!

BDGA 173 PDGA 8831

West

Post by West » Mon Jul 06, 2009 9:14 pm

Everyone be afraid ... I've just registered :twisted:
"West"
BDGA DoC 2007 - 2011

TobyGreen

Registrants so far

Post by TobyGreen » Thu Jul 09, 2009 8:16 pm

So, we've just about three weeks to go and I've got 34 registrants booked in. So, thanks to those of you who've done that impossibly hard task of telling me you want to play! Any more out there who think they're coming but can't muster the energy to wing me an email? Go on! You know you want to!

Looks like 90% of us are going to play a nicely prepared modern course, with 10% hacking 'round the nettle-deep ancient. So, get prepared for TO THE KNOLL and hope like hell there isn't going to be even the gentlest, feather-like, kiss of a breeze from anything other than the south-west on the day.

if you know of anyone else who hasn't registered, it's a great time to let me know just ... about ... now?

Registrants in no particular order:
Tom Soper, Adam Storr, Mark Fleetham, Charlie Mead and James, Paul Cooper, Steve Broster, Bill Ferguson, Woody Harding, Pete Black, George Aslett, Jonny Morris, Steve Pearce, Dunc, Andy, Maddie and Georgia Lucey, Paul Holden, David Allaker, Ross Poole, Alastair Findlay, Tommy Lyon-Smith, Dan Massey, Ivan'n'Sue, Chris O'Brien, Ross Davies, Matts Cutler and Pike, Bruce, Andy Cotgreave, Jesse, Alessa Schwartz, Jester and myself. (I expect my nephews will put in an appearance, but of course they won't bother to let me know until they show for the first tee!) and, that's correct, Derek hasn't registered yet.
Toby Green

Village

Post by Village » Fri Jul 10, 2009 1:08 pm

I believe that Duncan Nephew-of-Del (that's not is actual surname) is v interested in attending

BDGA 173 PDGA 8831