Ratings-based divisions for the BDGA Tour

Does what it says on the tin!
dunc

Re: Ratings-based divisions for the BDGA Tour

Post by dunc » Mon Nov 12, 2012 8:29 pm

West wrote:
bruce wrote:Right, Phil and I have made an executive decision to move the Int Am boundary only, to 870.

So divisions for 2013 are:
Open - 920+
Adv - 919-870
Int - 869-0
Nice. Int am here I come :)
Have you moved up?
The Treasurerrer..... hic!

PDGA #8822
BDGA #154

West

Post by West » Tue Nov 13, 2012 8:33 am

dunc wrote:
West wrote:
bruce wrote:Right, Phil and I have made an executive decision to move the Int Am boundary only, to 870.

So divisions for 2013 are:
Open - 920+
Adv - 919-870
Int - 869-0
Nice. Int am here I come :)
Have you moved up?
Even after Bristol playing left handed I was still technically Adv Am and now I'm starting to play righty again I would have still been, but not now .... and as 869 is the highest rating I've ever had I'll never be moving up at this rate :D
"West"
PDGA: #8823
BDGA: #250
Twitter: @WestDiscGolf
BDGA DoC 2007 - 2011

bruce

Post by bruce » Tue Nov 25, 2014 1:03 pm

Notification of changes to the BDGA Tour divisional structure for 2015

As part of the ongoing review of the BDGA Tour structure, the following changes are to be made as season-long trial to be reviewed at the end of the year:

Major change first: Participants in MA2 (Intermediate Amateur) will no longer be eligible for AmStats or the overall Amateur Title race. Any player wishing to compete for the title should ensure they enter MA1 (Advanced Amateur). This will greatly reduce the overhead of processing the Tour stats, and facilitate the changes below.

Introduction of MPM (Pro Masters) Division
Introduction of FPO (Pro Women's) Division
Introduction of MA3 (Recreational) Division
Formalisation of MJ2/FJ2 (male/female Junior) Divisions

Whilst Masters and Women's are introduced as 'Pro' this is to allow inclusivity of those players who have taken cash in the past, perhaps in another division or on EuroTour. It is not expected that there will be cash payouts in these divisions, or that playing in them will have any effect on PDGA Amateur status, these are effectively Open Masters and Open Women's. MPM is available to players who will be 40 years of age or older during the current year.

The MA3/Rec division will be introduced for any player rated 819 or lower.
MJ2/FJ2 is available to players who will be 16 years of age or younger during the current year Juniors often play from shortened tees, have been reported separately to the PDGA for some time, and when playing from short tees have defaulted to the last finishing place in the stats. As such formally recognising the divisions makes minimal difference, other than to recognise and celebrate these players. Any Junior player wishing to compete for FPO, MPO or MA1 titles should ensure they enter the appropriate division.

Participation in any of these divisions at an event will rule these players ineligible for the overall Amateur or Open title races, however we will introduce equivalent stats races for Masters and Womens in order to crown an overall champion in these divisions. A revised invitation system for the Top 16 matchplay will be developed.

Participation in these divisions is entirely voluntary and any player may elect to continue playing as they have done previously.

To reduce the overhead of these changes, TD's are expected to provide a trophy for the winner of these new divisions only, although should they wish to reward top 3 or lower then that is welcomed.
[Standard post disclaimer] My posts are never intended to undermine the work of the Board or individuals putting in effort to grow the sport, they are my honest thoughts on the best ways to grow the game

BDGA: 145
PDGA: 8824

West

Post by West » Tue Nov 25, 2014 1:38 pm

bruce wrote: Introduction of MPM (Pro Masters) Division
Introduction of FPO (Pro Women's) Division
Introduction of MA3 (Recreational) Division
Formalisation of MJ2/FJ2 (male/female Junior) Divisions
Would be good to have the stat cut off points published for all the new divisional structures as the 819 or lower doesn't fit with the PDGA definitions
PDGA wrote:Intermediate - available to amateur players of all ages with player ratings < 935. Developing players who have played 2-3 years with improved consistency and accuracy. Throw 250-350 feet, make 5-7/10 putts from 20 feet. Score range: <63

Recreational - available to amateur players of all ages with player ratings < 900. For players who have played 1-2 years and are gaining consistency and experience. Throw 200-300 feet, make 4-6/10 putts from 20 feet, learning different shots. Score range: 63+
source
"West"
BDGA DoC 2007 - 2011

mat cutler

Post by mat cutler » Tue Nov 25, 2014 1:42 pm

Bruce can you post the ratings boundaries please so I can adjust the bristol open registration accordingly

bruce

Post by bruce » Tue Nov 25, 2014 1:43 pm

I thought this was obvious, but as the question has now been asked here and on Facebook...

Open - Adv - Int boundaries stay the same: 920, 870.
820 is added as a lower boundary to Int and creates the <=819 MA3/Rec division

As ever, any player can play up a division or more if they wish, but you cannot play down
[Standard post disclaimer] My posts are never intended to undermine the work of the Board or individuals putting in effort to grow the sport, they are my honest thoughts on the best ways to grow the game

bruce

Post by bruce » Tue Nov 25, 2014 1:43 pm

Masters, Women's and Junior divisions have no ratings requirements

mat cutler

Post by mat cutler » Tue Nov 25, 2014 1:48 pm

mat cutler wrote:Bruce can you post the ratings boundaries please so I can adjust the bristol open registration accordingly
Don't worry I got it....

mat cutler

Post by mat cutler » Tue Nov 25, 2014 1:56 pm

crikes this is staring to look very confusing on registration forms for new players on tour......

bruce

Post by bruce » Tue Nov 25, 2014 1:59 pm

mat cutler wrote:crikes this is staring to look very confusing on registration forms for new players on tour......
It shouldn't do, as it should say something like "HEY NEW PLAYER! PLAY RECREATIONAL!" ;)

mat cutler

Post by mat cutler » Tue Nov 25, 2014 2:34 pm

can anyone please check the bristol open registration form to check I have everything correct in divisions.....

http://bristoldiscgolf.org.uk/bristol-open-2015/

mat cutler

Post by mat cutler » Tue Nov 25, 2014 2:39 pm

bruce wrote:
mat cutler wrote:crikes this is staring to look very confusing on registration forms for new players on tour......
It shouldn't do, as it should say something like "HEY NEW PLAYER! PLAY RECREATIONAL!" ;)
what about new players who are shooting 65-70 ish round ashton court and would be competitive in MA2 or even MA1? I preferred to offer a been playing less than a year prize for all divisons than a recreational division - just my opinion.

mat cutler

Post by mat cutler » Tue Nov 25, 2014 2:40 pm

will each tournament with 3 rounds and a final be offering finals for each divsion?

bruce

Post by bruce » Tue Nov 25, 2014 3:33 pm

54 hole minimum for all division, 63+ minimum for Stats division, i.e. MPO, MA1, MPM, FPO

Which means either 4*18 for all, 3*21 for all, or 3*18 for all plus final 9 for above divs. I would caveat that you only need to run a final if you have 3 or more players in that div.

My preferred option is 4*18, more golf for all!

[edit] You can of course run finals for more divisions, if you can fit it in the time. In theory you can run 9 simultaneous finals with shotgun start, although you might as well do a 4th round in that case!

mat cutler

Post by mat cutler » Tue Nov 25, 2014 5:34 pm

with regard to trophies/prizes can i suggest that there needs to be at least 5 registered for each division a week before the tournament to warrant a trophy in a division.

As a TD I am happy with the addition of more divisions if it increases interest but it does require slightly more planning in terms of prizes, groups and the schedule. Needs people to register nice and early for events though! :D

bruce

Post by bruce » Tue Nov 25, 2014 10:14 pm

I think the weeks notice is absolutely fair enough, I might even be tempted to stretch it to 2 weeks. I do think that 3 should be enough to merit a prize though, you should have enough budget from them to 'payout' a third of the division

West

Post by West » Wed Nov 26, 2014 1:13 pm

bruce wrote:Open - Adv - Int boundaries stay the same: 920, 870.
820 is added as a lower boundary to Int and creates the <=819 MA3/Rec division
Thanks for confirming! :)
"West"
BDGA DoC 2007 - 2011

rhatton1

Post by rhatton1 » Mon Jan 12, 2015 9:45 am

bruce wrote:

Participation in any of these divisions at an event will rule these players ineligible for the overall Amateur or Open title races, however we will introduce equivalent stats races for Masters and Womens in order to crown an overall champion in these divisions. A revised invitation system for the Top 16 matchplay will be developed.

Participation in these divisions is entirely voluntary and any player may elect to continue playing as they have done previously.

I missed this the first time round, can I just confirm on the above - If you play your first tournament as Int can you play the rest of the season as am and compete for the title? Same question for Masters can you then play in Open. FPO then Open etc.

If not why not? I understand it the other way round but don't understand the benefit of a restriction on moving up a division? What would you do for example if the division you had previously played in wasn't offered at the next tournament due to lack of demand? Or am i misunderstanding this?
www.discgolfuk.com
richard@discgolfuk.com
Home of the Midlands One Day Series
Talk to us about courses!

BaggerBlakehill

Post by BaggerBlakehill » Mon Jan 12, 2015 10:04 am

My understanding (which I'm putting here mainly to check I've understood it correctly too) is that if someone plays in the IntAm (MA2) division at Bristol they won't be awarded any PowerStats points however if they then play AdvAm (MA1) at Bedworth, they will get PowerStats. Going back to IntAm for the next event would then mean again not being awarded points.

In other words you'll only get PowerStat points when you partake in either MPO or MA1. As Bruce has also mentioned though, there will also be new titles for FPO and MPM divisions.

Hopefully that's right :)
Still suffering from early wood

BDGA# 1112
PDGA# 61657

bruce

Post by bruce » Mon Jan 12, 2015 10:34 am

BaggerBlakehill wrote:My understanding (which I'm putting here mainly to check I've understood it correctly too) is that if someone plays in the IntAm (MA2) division at Bristol they won't be awarded any PowerStats points however if they then play AdvAm (MA1) at Bedworth, they will get PowerStats. Going back to IntAm for the next event would then mean again not being awarded points.

In other words you'll only get PowerStat points when you partake in either MPO or MA1. As Bruce has also mentioned though, there will also be new titles for FPO and MPM divisions.

Hopefully that's right :)
Nick has it right. You can play any division you're eligible for at any event, however you will only receive points for the division you're playing in, and only MPO, MA1, FPO and MPM will get points.

The ratings restrictions are:
If you are 920+ as of the Jan 27th update, you cannot play MA1 (or 2 or 3!)
If at the time of an event you are 870+, you cannot play MA2
If at the time of an event you are 820+, you cannot play MA3

There are no rating restrictions for age or gender restricted divisions.