Ratings-based divisions for the BDGA Tour

Does what it says on the tin!
bruce
Posts: 2581
Joined: Thu Oct 27, 2005 4:13 pm
Location: Leamington Spa
Contact:

Ratings-based divisions for the BDGA Tour

Post by bruce » Tue Aug 28, 2007 3:37 pm

Divisional Structure
Ratings splits of 920 (Open - Am) and 850 (Adv - Int).


The Open vs Am decision is made for the entire season following the December ratings update, any player above 920 must play Open, plus anyone below 920 who wishes to play Open can make the decision to move up (again, for the entire season). Ams can choose to move up mid-season, but are then bound by that decision for the rest of the season.
All players who have elected to play Open score 'OpenStats'.
All players who elected to play Am score 'AmStats'.

Any Am player rated below 850, or with insufficient rated rounds (less than 5) can choose to play Int, any above must play Adv. This decision can be made on an event-by-event basis, so that each ratings update will evict any sandbaggers from Int and take account of those who are newly rated.

At the end of regular play, all 'Stats' are frozen, with the exception of the Open finalists and the Adv finalists, who can swap positions. The Ints can have a final, but it's purely for Trophy places, not for any AmStats points. The same final format can be added for J, JJ, W etc should those divisions grow big enough to merit it, but we continue to award a trophy to the top J, JJ and W, but only those in the Am division. If you elect to, or are good enough to play in Open, you forgo the protected divisions.
Last edited by bruce on Tue Sep 25, 2007 4:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[Standard post disclaimer] My posts are never intended to undermine the work of the Board or individuals putting in effort to grow the sport, they are my honest thoughts on the best ways to grow the game

BDGA: 145
PDGA: 8824

User avatar
Steve
Posts: 814
Joined: Wed Oct 26, 2005 11:33 am
Location: Shrewsbury, Shropshire
Contact:

Post by Steve » Tue Aug 28, 2007 4:00 pm

Any ruling about AM 1st 2nd 3rd? winners being auto promoted at the end of a season? or totally point based?
[url=http://www.shropdisc.co.uk/]Disc Golf In Shropshire[/url]

[color=red] BDGA # 266
[url=http://www.pdga.org/tournament/playerstats.php?PDGANum=8833&year=2007]PDGA # 8833[/url]
[/color]

User avatar
Jester
Posts: 1782
Joined: Tue Nov 08, 2005 10:10 am

Post by Jester » Tue Aug 28, 2007 4:11 pm

Steve wrote:Any ruling about AM 1st 2nd 3rd? winners being auto promoted at the end of a season? or totally point based?
Totally point based, but anyone wondering if they should move up before they reach the points threshold may want to know what Ken Climo has to say on the matter:
http://www.innovadiscs.com/team/ken.html

:wink:
Jester
BDGA #128
PDGA #8817
------------------------------------------------------
Croydon DGC: Hyzer Cup Champions 08/09, 13/14

User avatar
West
Posts: 2624
Joined: Thu Oct 27, 2005 4:51 pm
Location: Leamington Spa, UK

Post by West » Tue Aug 28, 2007 5:01 pm

The question on everyones lips is ... will dunc stay Open Rubbish? ;)

... or drop down to be Advanced Rubbish :twisted:
"West"
PDGA: #8823
BDGA: #250
Twitter: @WestDiscGolf
BDGA DoC 2007 - 2011

dunc
Posts: 325
Joined: Thu Nov 03, 2005 3:32 pm
Location: Rugby

Post by dunc » Wed Aug 29, 2007 11:18 am

890 is good 30 points from the cut off............ What do you think I should do :wink:
The Treasurerrer..... hic!

PDGA #8822
BDGA #154

User avatar
West
Posts: 2624
Joined: Thu Oct 27, 2005 4:51 pm
Location: Leamington Spa, UK

Post by West » Wed Aug 29, 2007 11:22 am

dunc wrote:890 is good 30 points from the cut off............ What do you think I should do :wink:
Come down and be advanced rubbish ... might win something ;) Although now Jesse has a higher rating, you'll be pushed :twisted:
"West"
PDGA: #8823
BDGA: #250
Twitter: @WestDiscGolf
BDGA DoC 2007 - 2011

User avatar
Tim
Posts: 643
Joined: Wed Oct 26, 2005 10:54 am
Location: Stour Estuary
Contact:

Re: Ratings-based divisions for 2008 Tour

Post by Tim » Wed Aug 29, 2007 11:50 am

bruce wrote:Divisional Structure
Ratings splits of 920 (Open - Am) and 850 (Adv - Int).


The Open vs Am decision is made for the entire season following the December ratings update, any player above 920 must play Open, plus anyone below 920 who wishes to play Open can make the decision to move up (again, for the entire season). Ams can choose to move up mid-season, but are then bound by that decision for the rest of the season.
All players who have elected to play Open score 'OpenStats'.
All players who elected to play Am score 'AmStats'.

Any Am player rated below 850, or with insufficient rated rounds (less than 5) can choose to play Int, any above must play Adv. This decision can be made on an event-by-event basis, so that each ratings update will evict any sandbaggers from Int and take account of those who are newly rated.

At the end of regular play, all 'Stats' are frozen, with the exception of the Open finalists and the Adv finalists, who can swap positions. The Ints can have a final, but it's purely for Trophy places, not for any AmStats points. The same final format can be added for J, JJ, W etc should those divisions grow big enough to merit it, but we continue to award a trophy to the top J, JJ and W, but only those in the Am division. If you elect to, or are good enough to play in Open, you forgo the protected divisions.
So, is this dictated or open for DISCussion :? :roll:
www.essexdiscgolf.co.uk

bruce
Posts: 2581
Joined: Thu Oct 27, 2005 4:13 pm
Location: Leamington Spa
Contact:

Re: Ratings-based divisions for 2008 Tour

Post by bruce » Wed Aug 29, 2007 12:09 pm

Tim wrote:So, is this dictated or open for DISCussion :? :roll:
Discussed, almost a year ago...
viewtopic.php?t=199
viewtopic.php?t=203
[Standard post disclaimer] My posts are never intended to undermine the work of the Board or individuals putting in effort to grow the sport, they are my honest thoughts on the best ways to grow the game

BDGA: 145
PDGA: 8824

Scuttler
Posts: 533
Joined: Thu Oct 27, 2005 3:17 pm
Location: Edinburgh

Re: Ratings-based divisions for 2008 Tour

Post by Scuttler » Wed Aug 29, 2007 12:37 pm

bruce wrote:
Tim wrote:So, is this dictated or open for DISCussion :? :roll:
Discussed, almost a year ago...
viewtopic.php?t=199
viewtopic.php?t=203
Owned! As I believe the kids say these days. :lol:

User avatar
West
Posts: 2624
Joined: Thu Oct 27, 2005 4:51 pm
Location: Leamington Spa, UK

Re: Ratings-based divisions for 2008 Tour

Post by West » Wed Aug 29, 2007 1:52 pm

Scuttler wrote:
bruce wrote:
Tim wrote:So, is this dictated or open for DISCussion :? :roll:
Discussed, almost a year ago...
viewtopic.php?t=199
viewtopic.php?t=203
Owned! As I believe the kids say these days. :lol:
Scuttler's down with the kids :wink:
"West"
PDGA: #8823
BDGA: #250
Twitter: @WestDiscGolf
BDGA DoC 2007 - 2011

User avatar
Jester
Posts: 1782
Joined: Tue Nov 08, 2005 10:10 am

Re: Ratings-based divisions for 2008 Tour

Post by Jester » Wed Aug 29, 2007 3:08 pm

West wrote: Scuttler's down with the kids :wink:
He has to be, now he's got one! innit :D
Jester
BDGA #128
PDGA #8817
------------------------------------------------------
Croydon DGC: Hyzer Cup Champions 08/09, 13/14

bruce
Posts: 2581
Joined: Thu Oct 27, 2005 4:13 pm
Location: Leamington Spa
Contact:

Re: Ratings-based divisions for 2008 Tour

Post by bruce » Wed Aug 29, 2007 3:23 pm

Jester wrote:
West wrote: Scuttler's down with the kids :wink:
He has to be, now he's got one! innit :D
Fo' shizzle 8)
[Standard post disclaimer] My posts are never intended to undermine the work of the Board or individuals putting in effort to grow the sport, they are my honest thoughts on the best ways to grow the game

BDGA: 145
PDGA: 8824

User avatar
Spider
Posts: 201
Joined: Thu Oct 27, 2005 5:56 pm
Location: Ullapool
Contact:

2007 Transitional Year

Post by Spider » Thu Aug 30, 2007 4:23 pm

2007 being a transitional year, wasn't the idea that Am winner + top 16 this year must move up to Open (regardless of rating) for 2008 at least, before (optionally) dropping down in 2009 if their rating permitted? Or will this just be a matter delegated to the subtle encouragement of the pressgang...?
Spider
Yes, I will be moving up, regardless :roll: (tho, I could yet qualify on three fronts for automatic promotion... :mrgreen: )
Hammer time!
http://www.highlandpix.co.uk

User avatar
Jester
Posts: 1782
Joined: Tue Nov 08, 2005 10:10 am

Re: 2007 Transitional Year

Post by Jester » Thu Aug 30, 2007 4:37 pm

Spider wrote:2007 being a transitional year, wasn't the idea that Am winner + top 16 this year must move up to Open (regardless of rating) for 2008 at least, before (optionally) dropping down in 2009 if their rating permitted? Or will this just be a matter delegated to the subtle encouragement of the pressgang...?

No, we wouldn't force someone who placed in the Top 16 but was still rated below the Open/Am threshold to place Open. That player would be welcome to play Am in 08, however if this situation does arise then that player will already be mixing it with the big boys and it would do their game much more good to move up and take on a man-sized challenge rather than coast in an easier division.
Jester
BDGA #128
PDGA #8817
------------------------------------------------------
Croydon DGC: Hyzer Cup Champions 08/09, 13/14

Scuttler
Posts: 533
Joined: Thu Oct 27, 2005 3:17 pm
Location: Edinburgh

Post by Scuttler » Wed Sep 26, 2007 2:28 pm

In a fit of can't-be-arsed-ness at work, I've dug out as many GB ratings as I can find, non-current players included, and sorted them into next year's divisions.

Fairly evenly spread on numbers. Obviously there's at least one ratings update in November to go (and one at the end of the year?) and at least Angus has said he's definitely moving up.

Any predicitions for Advanced and Intermediate. My money is on Jesse and Sophie.

Open (920 >) 25 Players

Liam Young 991
Derek Robins 990
Jester Wilson 970
Seonidh Charity 967
Neil Webber 963
Pete Dawson 960
Hamish Blair 958
Pete Monk 958
Robin Ailes 950
Matt Cutler 948
Conor Davies 948
Charlie Mead 944
Calum Peterson 940
John Bruce 930
Graeme Anderson 928
John Massey 927
Woody Harding 926
Andy Lucey 925
Ivan Bromage 924
David Galloway 922
Ross Poole 921
Trevor Bechtel 920
Paul Cooper 920
Darren Rose 920
Bud Tilton 920

Advanced (850 <> 919) 28 Players

Angus Bruce 918
Spencer Worth 914
Andy Cotgreave 912
Dan Massey 912
Sean Stewart 905
Andy Solomon 904
Jonathan Turner 904
Matt Pike 902
Sue Underwood 892
Jesse Denny 891
Duncan Hartshorne 890
Richard Clegg 888
Nigel Williams 888
Richard O'Connell 886
Richard Wood 883
Tim Emmott 883
Frank Redmond 878
Pete Black 877
Dave Allaker 875
Jonathan Burden 873
Ben Bruce 871
Julien Fisler 871
Adam Storr 869
Tim Herring 865
Neil Graneau 856
Brian Schoenfelder 855
Tom Hartshorne 854
Steve Broster 852

Intermediate (< 850) 23 Players

Marc Sheldon 843
Jonathan Potts 842
Crawford Flint 835
Peter Weakford 833
Scott Fitzgerald 831
Chris Rowland 824
Paul Stoddart 824
Sophie Southgate 823
James Luton 820
Jon Lee 816
Phil Willetts 813
Bob Holgan 804
Adrian Simpson 800
Jerry Andrew 788
James Grigor 780
Martin Pyrah 779
Garry Villiers-Stuart 774
Doug Walker 743
Rich Hatton 717
Sean Pyrah 712
Adam Willetts 699
Benjamin Harvey 677
Danny Willetts 621

bruce
Posts: 2581
Joined: Thu Oct 27, 2005 4:13 pm
Location: Leamington Spa
Contact:

Post by bruce » Wed Sep 26, 2007 5:07 pm

Apart from the fact that there won't be an overall Int Am winner, it's purely per-event trophies, I'm particularly pleased we've got the ratings breaks in the right places to have the three divisions almost exactly equal sizes 8)
[Standard post disclaimer] My posts are never intended to undermine the work of the Board or individuals putting in effort to grow the sport, they are my honest thoughts on the best ways to grow the game

BDGA: 145
PDGA: 8824

Scuttler
Posts: 533
Joined: Thu Oct 27, 2005 3:17 pm
Location: Edinburgh

Post by Scuttler » Thu Sep 27, 2007 8:59 am

bruce wrote: Apart from the fact that there won't be an overall Int Am winner, it's purely per-event trophies,
Good point :D. Alright then, I still tip Sophie to win her fair share of Int Am trophies.
bruce wrote: I'm particularly pleased we've got the ratings breaks in the right places to have the three divisions almost exactly equal sizes 8)
It does seem to be pretty much right.

User avatar
richard
Posts: 444
Joined: Sat Nov 05, 2005 8:07 pm
Location: Croydon, Surrey
Contact:

Post by richard » Sat Sep 29, 2007 8:07 pm

bruce wrote:Apart from the fact that there won't be an overall Int Am winner, it's purely per-event trophies,
Why don't we have an int am champion.... surely meaningful competition at all levels of play can only make for more interest throughout the field. The more that rides on your game the more you get out of it and therefore the more you improve. Thats the reason that the Football Playoff System was incepted... to keep more interest for all.
BDGA #259
PDGA #8840
-------------------------------------------------------
Croydon DGC: Hyzer Cup Champions 08/09 and 2013/14

bruce
Posts: 2581
Joined: Thu Oct 27, 2005 4:13 pm
Location: Leamington Spa
Contact:

Post by bruce » Mon Oct 01, 2007 8:29 am

richard wrote:
bruce wrote:Apart from the fact that there won't be an overall Int Am winner, it's purely per-event trophies,
Why don't we have an int am champion.... surely meaningful competition at all levels of play can only make for more interest throughout the field. The more that rides on your game the more you get out of it and therefore the more you improve. Thats the reason that the Football Playoff System was incepted... to keep more interest for all.
Because the division is only available to those under 850 rating, and that is updated several times through the year, players will spend varying time in the Int division. You might get a new player who wins the first 2 Int trophies, gets an 870 rating and plays the rest of the season in Adv, whereas someone could maintain an 845 rating all season and make every final, but never move up.
Anyone moving up to Adv on rating will have a realistic chance of making the back of the Adv final, so will still have meaningful competition.
[Standard post disclaimer] My posts are never intended to undermine the work of the Board or individuals putting in effort to grow the sport, they are my honest thoughts on the best ways to grow the game

BDGA: 145
PDGA: 8824

User avatar
rhatton1
Posts: 1692
Joined: Wed Oct 24, 2007 12:13 pm
Location: Leamington Spa
Contact:

Post by rhatton1 » Wed Oct 24, 2007 12:16 pm

Is the tour schedule for next year (2008) posted anywhere yet?

Post Reply