Trophy only fees

Does what it says on the tin!
Trevor

Trophy only fees

Post by Trevor » Wed Jan 18, 2017 4:30 pm

I'd like to ask and encourage all TDs to consider ' trophy only' entry fees for "Pro"divisions. This is relevant to me because I want to play Masters this year but am put off by the potential higher fees being charged to play the MPM division.

Specific to the MPM division I don't think we yet have the number of players in the U.K. to run an am and pro masters category and so lumping everyone into one division Is acceptable but not at Pro entry fees. I suspect this is relevant to FPO too.

Being righteous, I have never accepted cash and have no intentions of ever accepting cash. Disc Golf is a passion not a profession for me.

Sorry if this has been covered before. Rant over.

LostMeow

Re: Trophy only fees

Post by LostMeow » Wed Jan 18, 2017 4:45 pm

Hi Trevor,

it's a reasonable request, for sure.

I think historically MPM and FPO have been used, not because they're technically 'Pro' divisions, but just because they're the highest divisions available for those classifications and therefore open to all (within the classification of Master or Women). It doesn't necessarily mean those divisions actually have to offer a cash payout - at C-tier level, anyway.
Tom
ND

bruce

Post by bruce » Wed Jan 18, 2017 5:02 pm

Hi Trevor

I suspect that you have seen this because, and only because, the 2 big events that have opened registration are both EuroTour where historically there is strong Pro attendance and accordingly higher fees to effect a good payout.

To reassure you, I do not intend to charge any difference in fees between Pro and Am at the British Open, so no trophy-only option is needed. Should you place in a cashing position you are of course entitled to refuse the cash and retain your amateur status.

The remainder of the BDGA tour historically has done the same, with very few even having a payout, so I don't think you have any grounds for concern at this point.
[Standard post disclaimer] My posts are never intended to undermine the work of the Board or individuals putting in effort to grow the sport, they are my honest thoughts on the best ways to grow the game

BDGA: 145
PDGA: 8824

Trevor

Post by Trevor » Wed Jan 18, 2017 6:48 pm

Thanks Bruce. I hope other TDs will follow your example.

Yes the OP was prompted by the euro tour fees and to be fair I had recognized that but it is not an isolated instance in my experience.

In this new era people will vote with their feet (as has been said).