2006 BDGA Awards

Does what it says on the tin!
bruce

2006 BDGA Awards

Post by bruce » Fri Sep 15, 2006 10:35 am

Dear members,

The 2006 BDGA Awards are almost upon us, and it's your chance to nominate the members who have made a real difference over the past year.

Categories up for nomination are:

(1) Best Tournament Director(s)

(2) Contribution to the Game

(3) Spirit of the Game

(4) Funniest Moment

All nominations will be provisional, and a final voting form will be sent out after all nominations are in. There will be an option on the voting form to vote for an alternative.

Nominations are:

Best Tournament Director(s)

Caledonian Open. For 9 consecutive Tours the Caledonian Open has been a benchmark in organisational excellence and this year raised the bar again. An excellently dressed course, ran to time, crystal clear communication with players, onsite dormitory accommodation, lunch provided, BBQ cooked for us on Saturday evening

Nige. At his first attempt at Tour TDing, he surpassed everyone’s expectations with a superbly run event, from the course, constructing the baskets, right through the accommodation, party, food and everything. Marvellous example.

Toby Green. Stepped up to run the British Open at the eleventh hour, and organised the whole event from a different country! From a player point of view, from turning up on the Friday and attending the players meeting to leaving on Sunday, it all ran smoothly.

Contribution to the Game

Del. The founding father of the BDGA and 10 years service as National Director, Del has had a huge personal investment of time and money contributing to the development of the sport. A resident of the PDGA Hall of Fame; disc golf visionary in the UK and Europe; driving force behind Quarry Park which is going from strength to strength, Del is an example to us all.

Bruce, for efficient handling of memberships and correspondence as Secretary over the past year, and being an active and vocal presence on the BDGA forums.

Nige, for redesign of the BDGA web site providing the public with a better awareness of disc golf, and producing a new colour leaflet.

Frank Redmond. For helping out at Quarry Park and always taking a moment to help beginners out.

Jester, for organising the smooth running of the BDGA Tour, and ensuring that standards are met to bring events inline with PDGA requirements.

Liam. Over the past few years he has been actively involved in the DG scene in Scotland, and was the Regional coordinator for Scotland. He volunteered his time to help the people in Sterling design and set up their own course, volunteered his time to help with the design of the course for the 2004 Seaforth Classic in Ullapool, and is always willing to help out if needed.

Spirit of the Game

Crawford Flint, for a huge contribution to and still playing at the Cale Open despite a season ruining injury.

Jonnie Burden. Always a pleasure to share a round with, a good laugh and humourist of the highest order for initiating and donating the 'Jonnie Burden Move Down Award' at Tour events for the last placed Open player.

Fernando Brown. For all he has done for the BDGA, Essex and anyone that asks for help or support. The man lives disc golf, and is more than happy to share that knowledge and enthusiasm.

Phil and the Willetts's for establishing disc golf in Netherton & Dudley and getting disc golf out there in numerous local festivals. Phil and his sons are always enthusiastic, keen to get stuck in and have a go and above all they are always a pleasure and a laugh to play a round of disc golf with. They never fail to turn up at Quarry Park if there is an event on and lend a hand, particularly if there is maintenance work to be done. Danny and Adam have shown enthusiasm and commitment in running the Netherton DGC website and organising lottery funding for baskets and discs at their school. There are not many teenagers who can act off there own initiative in such a responsible manner for the love of their sport.

Funniest Moment

Pete Dawson, for a masterclass in comedy timing. Last hole of the final at the Burnlaw Snowbowl in spring this year. After much banter on the tee amongst the finalists and Pete about his canon-like arm and trying to tempt him into a big shot over the trees, Mr. Dawson rejects the idea and retorts 'I'm all about power WITH control' as he steps at and drives into the wall 10 yards in front of the tee.

Kate Massey, for rearranging Del's Disc Shop by colour after a few too many glasses of red wine on the Saturday night at the Caledonian Open.

Cheers,

Nige
BDGA Comms

West

Post by West » Fri Sep 15, 2006 10:55 am

As i've only been to one event this year, i'd have to say Toby for the BO. I know there was lots going on behind the scenes and problems etc. But from a player point of view from turning up on the friday and attending the players meeting to leaving on sunday it seemed to run pretty smoothly :)

I'd prolly have to say Bruce. He's been pretty good this year being secretary (obviously not his golf ;)) and helped with communication on the forum etc as well.

(3) Spirit of the Game

I'd have to say prolly Nige. The amount of effort he put in to get the websites for the BDGA and the open. But also putting in lots of hard work to sort things out for the BO and not even being able to play in it ...

(4) Funniest Moment

erm ... will have a think on that :)
"West"
PDGA: #8823
BDGA: #250
Twitter: @WestDiscGolf
BDGA DoC 2007 - 2011

Nige

Post by Nige » Fri Sep 15, 2006 11:24 am

Please send all nominations to communications@bdga.org.uk!! That way they all fall in a neat little pile in my inbox :)

Spirit and Contribution have been 'Roll of Honour' awards since 2004, so previous winners can't win the same award again.

Previous winners are:

Contribution to the Sport : Bud Tilton
Spirit of the Game : Angus Bruce

Contribution to the Sport : Jonny Potts
Spirit of the Game : Nige Williams :D

I'll post nominations here as they arrive.
Last edited by Nige on Fri Sep 15, 2006 11:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

bruce

Post by bruce » Fri Sep 15, 2006 11:27 am

I'll nominate Nige for this one. At his first attempt at Tour TDing I think he surpassed everyone else with a superbly run event, from the course, right through the accommodation, party, food and everything. Marvelous example.
Honourable mention to the Calley Open for their usual fine effort.

I'm flattered Westy, but if Del isn't a shoe-in for this award there's something wrong with the world. 10 years service as National Director since founding the BDGA, the PDGA have inducted him into their Hall of Fame, yet we've never officially recognised his efforts? Slightly shameful, time to right that wrong!

(3) Spirit of the Game
At risk of sounding like the Nige fan club, it'll be that man again for me. For all the reasons West gave, plus giving up his chance at the prestigious Jonny Burden 'Move down' trophy at QP extra to go demonstrate the sport to Scout leaders.

(4) Funniest Moment
I too will need to think...
[Standard post disclaimer] My posts are never intended to undermine the work of the Board or individuals putting in effort to grow the sport, they are my honest thoughts on the best ways to grow the game

BDGA: 145
PDGA: 8824

Nige

Post by Nige » Fri Sep 15, 2006 11:43 am

Aww, shucks y'all!

I'll have you know I scraped myself off the bottom after the 2nd round, so provisionally dodged the JB Move Down Spoon! I blame it all on throwing too many 150 sharks at demos...

Jester

Post by Jester » Mon Sep 18, 2006 9:31 am

Richard 'Scuttler' Clegg + the team at the Calendonian Open

For 9 consecutive Tours the Caledonian Open has been a benchmark in organisational excellence and this year raised the bar again. An excellently dressed course, ran to time, crystal clear communication with players, onsite dormitory accomodation, lunch provided, BBQ cooked for us on Saturday evening...

Give the guys the recognition they richly deserve.

Derek Robins

10 years guiding the sport as National Director, Hall of Fame inductee, investing thousands in his own course and an ok player to boot. :wink: What more do you need?

(3) Spirit of the Game

Jonnie Burden

Always a pleasure to share a round with, a good laugh and humourist of the highest order for initiating and donating the 'Jonnie Burnden Move Down Award' at Tour events for the last placed Open player. :)

(4) Funniest Moment

Pete Dawson, for a masterclass in comedy timing

Last hole of the final at the Burnlaw Snowbow in Spring this year. After much banter on the tee amongst the finalists and Pete about his canon-like arm just needing a bit of direction to become leathal, Mr Dawson retorts 'I'm all about power WITH control' as he steps at and drives into the wall 10 yards in front of the tee. :lol:

Remeber, post comments here but make sure you send nominations to Nige directly too: communications@bdga.org.uk

Jes*

bruce

Post by bruce » Mon Sep 25, 2006 9:52 am

Last call for nominations today, so get 'em in before the end of the day.

Spend a couple of minutes pondering over the past 12 months, and let me know who you think has made a difference. Just to remind you, categories are:

(3) Spirit of the Game

(4) Funniest Moment

We're seriously lacking in the 'Funniest Moment' category, so send in your tales of mirth!

Please send all nominations to communications@bdga.org.uk

Village

Post by Village » Tue Sep 26, 2006 6:39 am

sorry about the late response, wasn't at work yesterday to check the forum.....

funniest moment is either:

Bruce, Del and Liam playing 3 man circular ping pong at the Cally open or

Whilst walking back to the barn at Burnlaw thorough loads of cow sh1t, someone commented "wow, this is a lot of sh1t", to which Scuttler responded "this is just any old sh1t, this is Marks & Spencers sh1t!"---Priceless
The worst thing about having a failing memory is.....no, its gone...

Running with scissors since 1977

BDGA 173 PDGA 8831