BDGA 2017 Tour proposal

Does what it says on the tin!
bruce

Re: BDGA 2017 Tour proposal

Post by bruce » Fri Oct 28, 2016 6:53 pm

Good questions Neil, I'll give my take on them in order, give or take.

You're right, there has to be something in it for TDs to merit wanting to be sanctioned. On the face of it, I would say that tour points are a genuine draw for players who want to be in the title races; rather than focussing on a 'best 4' they will be looking at a year long accumulation of points, so it should incentivise local and near local players to make the effort to come to your events. Likewise I would hope that the near-to-home opportunity to get on the points ladder might incentivise some of your locals to join up (more on that later).

With Phil having to do less schedule planning, I'd like to see him do more to proactively support and guide TDs, especially new ones, and for the BDGA to actively promote all sanctioned events.

Regarding fees, the BDGA has a responsibility to remain financially viable. That means setting out a sensible strategy for collecting both membership and sanctioning fees that benefits members, TDs, & the BDGA. Changes to those fees need to be voted upon by the membership, so I'm hopeful that this strategy will be aired shortly for us all to agree. I have some sympathy with the board here, they are facing clamour to change the tour but it is really tightly linked to the finances, which they have to get ratified. That makes things complicated...

Current Membership fees reflect a time when there were only 80-90 golfers, who all toured to some extent, and are priced to cover expenses at that level. The last couple of years have seen a rapid growth in competing golfers, many outside the current tour. The BDGA's expenses have not massively changed, so if those other golfers can be incentivised to join by lowering fees and embracing the clubs, then the BDGA can return to being an inclusive organisation while still being financially secure.
[Standard post disclaimer] My posts are never intended to undermine the work of the Board or individuals putting in effort to grow the sport, they are my honest thoughts on the best ways to grow the game

BDGA: 145
PDGA: 8824

Phil Wood

Post by Phil Wood » Mon Oct 31, 2016 12:24 pm

^ this..

Your right Neil in that there needs to be something in it for the TD to want to run a BDGA event, hopefully the chance to attract more players to there event cause they will amass points means the sanctioning is worthwhile. There is also the need in turn though for the TD to make their event as attractive as possible. Without the usual scheduling rush and chasing TDs throughout the year i will be able to spend more time and effort supporting new TDs and getting events off the ground. This also provides lots of interesting opportunities to push our comms in both frequency and medium. Monthly newsletter could contain a digest of regional events and also scoreboards, hopefully more golf will be played so more stories to come from it.

This increase in news will only help us spread word of the game and given the local nature of competition, hopefully increase accessibility into the competitive side of it.

Fees and membership dont reflect the existing membership base demands, and more importantly they dont address the non members requirements. This needs to change and i believe the change in tour model is the first step down this path.

robbnot

Post by robbnot » Thu Nov 03, 2016 3:30 pm

Regarding the tour as a whole, I was hoping to get the TD's to have side events, consisting of the different disciplines in the WOC field events*, leading up to the games in July (24-29),

With the restructure of the tour and shortened tour year this could be a benefit to TD's ie. player numbers

I'm thinking of holding a mini Overall event with the golf on the bdga tour, (may/June-ish)

*Distance, Accuracy, SCF (mta/trc)
BDGA#1007
PDGA#62797

My disc golf makes your disc golf look great...

mat cutler

Post by mat cutler » Fri Nov 04, 2016 1:01 pm

Do we have a proposed date for a vote on these changes if I was going to TD this year (i'm taking a year off!) I'd be wanting to start to plan around now!

bruce

Post by bruce » Fri Nov 04, 2016 3:00 pm

mat cutler wrote:Do we have a proposed date for a vote on these changes if I was going to TD this year (i'm taking a year off!) I'd be wanting to start to plan around now!
As has been mentioned already, this doesn't need a vote, and is therefore, I suspect, already a done deal
[Standard post disclaimer] My posts are never intended to undermine the work of the Board or individuals putting in effort to grow the sport, they are my honest thoughts on the best ways to grow the game

Phil Wood

Post by Phil Wood » Fri Nov 04, 2016 3:29 pm

Guys we are going as fast as we can, the tour will be moving to the new model but we are smoothing out a few wrinkles - things that tie in to membership fees and sanctioning - membership requiring a vote by membership.

I know TDs what to set plans, since im likely to TD at some point next year, im in that boat too.

We are aiming to have something out by this time next week confirming tour position.

Jester

Post by Jester » Sat Nov 05, 2016 10:39 am

Sounds good, Phil. Thanks for all the effort to get this terrific progress established.
Jester
BDGA #128
PDGA #8817
------------------------------------------------------
Croydon DGC: Hyzer Cup Champions 08/09, 13/14

mat cutler

Post by mat cutler » Fri Nov 11, 2016 12:54 pm

Excellent work guys!

Phil Wood

Post by Phil Wood » Fri Nov 11, 2016 3:52 pm

All,

tour plan for 2017.

There are a couple of pieces to clarify pending membership fee vote - one being BDGA membership being compulsory for an bdga event - linked to insurance.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/18OS ... sp=sharing

We have taken A LOT of feedback onboard when creating this and i'm happy to answer any questions you may have.

SueU

Post by SueU » Mon Nov 14, 2016 8:48 pm

Hi Phil

I am not up to date with future plans in Europe but is there a risk to having the British Championships in August in that it may clash with the European Championships which took place in August this year?

I've had a quick look and the 2014 European Championships were also in August.
Thanks

Phil Wood

Post by Phil Wood » Mon Nov 21, 2016 3:02 pm

yep, we have to be conscious of events going on, but its always been an issue when scheduling.

between wfdf and eurotour/pdga europe the discgolf landscape is getting busier.

Del

Post by Del » Sat Dec 03, 2016 7:06 pm

Phil - are you still coordinating a schedule of the bigger events, ie the 2 day ones which formerly constituted the Tour plus a few new 2 day events at new locations? I'm sure lots of people would like to plan their personal 2017 schedule to include their personal favourites. No doubt the regional tours will also want to work round the bigger events in their region.
Any timeline on this?
Derek Robins
Quarry Park Disc Golf

robbnot

Post by robbnot » Sun Dec 04, 2016 12:22 am

24-29 July 2017 WFDF World Overall Championships in Basingstoke,
Monday to Saturday, so something close or not too far the weekend before (22/23) might tempt a few top international players, or a one dayer on Sunday after (30th)....

Food for thought

8)

Info and Website is on way
BDGA#1007
PDGA#62797

My disc golf makes your disc golf look great...

Phil Wood

Post by Phil Wood » Mon Dec 05, 2016 2:31 pm

Hi Del,

Yes will certainly be trying to help TDs plan and space events logically but ultimately the beauty of the new system is that its all TD led.

If a td wants a decent attendance to a 2 day event, they better give plenty of notice.

Phil

seamus

Post by seamus » Mon Dec 05, 2016 4:56 pm

Players will qualify/be invited to attend based on the finishing position within the MPO, FPO, MPM, MA1 and MJ1 Tour points race. (division split will be based on % of competitors at BDGA events - 8 places will be ring-fenced for FPO and MJ1).
Hi Phil,
If I'm reading this correctly entry into The British Championships will be based not only on points earned at Bdga Tour events but a player might be invited due to tournaments played outside the scope of Association events?
What will the invitation process entail?
for example, I may only be able to play in 1 Bdga event in Masters during the shortened season but may still want to explore entry into The British Championships. If I'm out of luck for the shortened season so be it, just asking.
Back to back, chicken shack.

ReBoot Disc Golf
www.rebootdiscgolf.com

Del

Post by Del » Mon Dec 05, 2016 11:34 pm

Without some management the new system may not be at all beautiful.
The laissez faire approach may work, but it could be a right mess. It was previously deemed important to space bigger events evenly throughout the year, and to meet the scheduling requirements of those courses which had limited windows of opportunity due to length of grass or University term time or accommodation availability or farm management restrictions etc. It was also deemed useful to TD's and players to have the schedule in place before Christmas. Is it now just a calendar land grab? What happens when a small one-day event grabs a date and then a bigger 2 day event wants the same date?
Derek Robins
Quarry Park Disc Golf

Phil Wood

Post by Phil Wood » Tue Dec 06, 2016 2:07 pm

hey,

Qualification to the British championship is based on the finishing position within the MPO, FPO, MPM, MA1 and MJ1 Tour points race.

If you dont play on the tour and gather sufficient points, you wont qualify for the championship.

Once we have started the season, we will have a picture as to the number of players competing in MPO/MPM/FPO etc, will then work with the host of the championships to confirm division size. The season ends in July and final points will be confirmed, invited to champs confirmed in first week of July for the event in August (though realistically 90% of players will know if they are likely to qualify ahead of this).

The TD will then reach out to the qualified players to invite them - back filling divisions with next highest points scorer in that division. Players on same points will be split by player rating.

Phil Wood

Post by Phil Wood » Tue Dec 06, 2016 2:14 pm

Del wrote:Without some management the new system may not be at all beautiful.
The laissez faire approach may work, but it could be a right mess. It was previously deemed important to space bigger events evenly throughout the year, and to meet the scheduling requirements of those courses which had limited windows of opportunity due to length of grass or University term time or accommodation availability or farm management restrictions etc. It was also deemed useful to TD's and players to have the schedule in place before Christmas. Is it now just a calendar land grab? What happens when a small one-day event grabs a date and then a bigger 2 day event wants the same date?

Your right, it could be a mess, hence why this short season is part of a test. IF a TD knows their restrictions then surely it is in there interest to get it in the diary asap.

If a one day event wants the same date as a two day event, then surely thats more people playing disc in the country and it winning all round. players that cant commit to the two day event get to play some competitive golf and the 2 day event need to be a high enough quality to attract players away from the one dayer. Im not planning on stopping events being held on the same day.

I dont doubt that the new structure will not suit everybody, but this means more competitive golf can be played across the country in different guises then we should all be happy.

Im starting to chase TDs to get something in the diary and i hope they do so soon, so people and other TDs can plan.

seamus

Post by seamus » Tue Dec 06, 2016 4:57 pm

Cheers Phil,
I think emerging markets are going to have a tougher time competing in this system but hopefully like you said adjustments will be made for 2017/2018.

One more question, If we hosted a one day Pdga C-tier in Dunbar over Easter weekend should we expect to receive Bdga sanctioning if we applied?
Back to back, chicken shack.

ReBoot Disc Golf
www.rebootdiscgolf.com

bruce

Post by bruce » Wed Dec 07, 2016 9:53 am

I would hope that TD's across the UK could work in a spirit of cooperation and understanding with each other. Where major events have been scheduled, other TDs should do their best to avoid those dates in the near locality at a minimum. TDs should make an effort to publish planned dates as early as possible and to communicate them to other TDs. Where a venue has a limitation on dates (e.g. Essex out of term time) then they should be given some degree of priority.

Phil, perhaps a closed BDGA Tournament Director's Facebook group would be useful, along with a shared Google calendar? It might also be sensible to draw up a short list of guidance as per my above. Not rules as such, but best practice, which can evolve as we grow. As the sanctioning body, I would expect you to mediate in disputes rather than organise the whole calendar.