Does what it says on the tin!
LostMeow

BDGA Awards 2016

Post by LostMeow » Sat Sep 24, 2016 3:53 pm

*DEADLINE MONDAY 3rd OCT*
Nominations, please, for the following categories:

Spirit of the Game
Contribution to the Game

Note these are awards for life, so nominees may not have already won the award. For previous winners, please see viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1438
Last edited by LostMeow on Wed Sep 28, 2016 9:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tom
ND

CookeeMonzter

Re: BDGA Awards 2016

Post by CookeeMonzter » Tue Sep 27, 2016 9:44 am

Ok I have given this some thought and I am going with Emily Wilsdon for Spirit. To commit to a Tour event without even having a course then actually building said course and hosting an amazing weekend all in a little under 10 months is NEXT LEVEL SPIRIT. As for Contribution this is tough this year. Richard Hatton has definitely done a lot of good with the MODS Tour and getting new courses available. As vain as I am I would love to see Essex Disc Golf get it for setting new levels of tour event standards but lets all be honest so much of what we are able to do is because of the great work the Board do and we know that the back bone of the Board is Gentleman Golfer Tom Lowes so I vote for Tom :D

LostMeow

Post by LostMeow » Wed Sep 28, 2016 9:14 am

Cheers Paul.

For the benefit of the Forum-only crowd, here are the nominations so far:

Spirit:
Alison Northrop - nominated by James Luton, Emily Wilsdon, Sian Lee, Philip Nichols
Sam George - nominated by James Luton, Emily Wilsdon
Sam Thomas - nominated by James Luton
Jonny Morris - nominated by Emily Wilsdon, Sy Spencer
Steve Cox - nominated by Sy Spencer, Sam George
Lina Cox - nominated by Sam George, Dan Brown
The Green Brothers - nominated by Sy Spencer, Adam Willetts, Sam George, Dan Brown
Emily Wilsdon - nominated by Paul Stoddart, Jester Wilson

Contribution:
Toby Green - nominated by Ed Green*, Paul Holden
Rich Hatton - nominated by James Luton, Emily Wilsdon, Sian Lee, Sy Spencer, Adam Willetts
Tom Lowes - nominated by James Luton, Sy Spencer, Paul Stoddart, Jester Wilson
Robb Hamilton - nominated by James Luton, Emily Wilsdon
Mark Davis - nominated by Emily Wilsdon
Emily Wilsdon - nominated by Sy Spencer, Sam George, Dan Brown
Paul Stoddart - nominated by Sam George
Lina Cox - nominated by Phil Nichols
Dan Brown - nominated by Sy Spencer, James Luton

*explanation given: an early pioneer of British disc golf, one of the first to bring it to these shores. He convinced his parents to let him set up the course at Whitcombe Farm, such was the brilliance of the course it hosted various British/Europeans Opens. Back in the days when courses/tournaments were scarce, he would take the time out to host two tour events a year (to be fair his wife Claude should have been up for spirit). General Legend of the sport and a handy ultimate player, deserving of long awaited recognition.
Last edited by LostMeow on Wed Sep 28, 2016 3:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tom
ND

Jester

Post by Jester » Wed Sep 28, 2016 2:58 pm

They are already up there but I nominate:

Tom Lowes for Contribution - has made a massive contribution over the last few years behind the scenes as Secretary and this year become even more visible in running the BDGA, pushing through the new constitution and generally being a solid presence that's holding everything together. Thanks Tom!

Emily Wilsden for Spirit - a great attitude to the game, come rain or shine, typifying behaviour I aspire to emulate.
Jester
BDGA #128
PDGA #8817
------------------------------------------------------
Croydon DGC: Hyzer Cup Champions 08/09, 13/14

CookeeMonzter

Post by CookeeMonzter » Wed Sep 28, 2016 3:18 pm

Oh I seem to have backed several runners and their riders, this is no doubt down to FB likes so just to clarify I'm backing Emily for Spirit and Tom for Contribution. Ta

Jester

Post by Jester » Wed Sep 28, 2016 4:58 pm

CookeeMonzter wrote:Oh I seem to have backed several runners and their riders, this is no doubt down to FB likes so just to clarify I'm backing Emily for Spirit and Tom for Contribution. Ta
Fixed that for you. :)
Jester
BDGA #128
PDGA #8817

Del

Post by Del » Fri Sep 30, 2016 3:21 pm

I'm grateful to all those nominated for Contribution to the game, and to the many others who have not been nominated. Honorable mentions are due to the team up in Manchester - they have achieved so much with the course and have put much effort into reaching the local community. I must also mention Andrew Malcolm - I don't think there is a more helpful and selfless contributor.
It is a difficult task to weigh up contributions which are quite different: the investment of time and money that Emily has put into Creeksea plus a top notch first event; the unrewarded and often unappreciated hours of service that Tom has put into keeping the BDGA running amid all the debate about its role; and the establishment of the Midlands One Day Series by Richard, expanding the player base and combined with the creation of new courses.

PS Just a quick comment on Toby - he wasn't instrumental in bringing disc golf to these shores, his energies were focused on Ultimate. However, anyone who has played Whitcombe Farm will be very grateful that he brought disc golf to one of the most beautiful places in the country, which has a very special place in the history of the game in the UK and thanks are due to Toby who would work tirelessly to prep the course for those legendary tournaments.
Derek Robins
Quarry Park Disc Golf

Jester

Post by Jester » Mon Oct 03, 2016 9:26 am

We've had some more great events this year, the scale which shows more and more that this is perhaps more accurately a 'Best Tournament' award. I didn't get to all of them, but thoughts on some I did attend:

- Dunbar continues to go from strength to strength in providing one of the most demanading courses on the Tour raising the bar for others to aspire to
- Croydon rocked it again, the Cyclone consistently attracting a massive player field and this time the famous Luardos street food van was on site to feed everyone
- Creaksea had its first event and was a great success, really nice to have everyone in the same area for the social
- Essex was fun with the Saturday night MT, KanJam and Stoddy's lunches
- Mendips with it's new camping village social centre and fantastic food & drink package was a new way see an event run and it worked really well

But my vote for TD/Tournament of the year will be for...
- QP. Consistently polished and professional performance, course always well-dressed, clockwork-like schedule, great food, everything just runs smoothly like it should, and for the first time (I believe) there was huge pro purse payout without any sponsor-added cash. There's a model other events could learn from.
Jester
BDGA #128
PDGA #8817

LostMeow

Post by LostMeow » Mon Oct 03, 2016 5:03 pm

BDGA Awards 2016

Please follow this link to vote for Contribution, Spirit and TD of the year. All BDGA members (Touring and Associate) are entitled to vote. Voting closes 2359 on Wednesday 26th Oct

http://bit.ly/BDGA-Awards-2016
Tom
ND

rhatton1

Post by rhatton1 » Mon Oct 03, 2016 7:40 pm

Is the vote for just this seasons contribution/spirit (wording on doc suggests season only) or is it a lifetime thing? (Suggested by only being able to win once)
www.discgolfuk.com
richard@discgolfuk.com
Home of the Midlands One Day Series
Talk to us about courses!

bruce

Post by bruce » Mon Oct 03, 2016 9:39 pm

It's this seasons addition to the lifetime award...
[Standard post disclaimer] My posts are never intended to undermine the work of the Board or individuals putting in effort to grow the sport, they are my honest thoughts on the best ways to grow the game

BDGA: 145
PDGA: 8824

LostMeow

Post by LostMeow » Thu Oct 27, 2016 7:31 am

Results

http://bit.ly/BDGA-Awards-2016-Results

Congratulations to:

Rich Hatton - Contribution to the Game
The Green Brothers - Spirit of the Game
Matt Cutler - TD of the Year
Tom