BDGA National Championship 2006, Annual Dinner & Awards

Does what it says on the tin!
Jester

BDGA National Championship 2006, Annual Dinner & Awards

Post by Jester » Mon Sep 04, 2006 11:29 am

The National Championship is approaching fast, only 7 weeks until 21/22 October at Quarry Park, TD Derek Robins.

For anyone who hasn't played at Nationals before, it's a 4 round, straight knockout, singles match play event where the top 16 finishers on the BDGA Tour get to see who's the daddy on the day. If the BDGA Tour is the Premiership, then Nationals is the FA Cup. :D

This is not an exclusive event, all players are welcomed. For those outside the top 16 there is a 'Not the Nationals' competition to play in which is a great chance to try a different event format (match play, rather than stroke play, can thrown up some amazing results as it's all or nothing for 18 just holes!).

Sometimes players outside the top 16 get 'bumped up' to play in the Nationals if a top 16 can't make it. A great incentive to come and play just in case!

So, are you in the top 16 places on the BDGA Tour? Have a look at http://tour.bdga.org.uk/ and see. If it's touch and go, or you're in and you want to try and improve your seeding don't miss BDGA Tour 10 at Burnlaw in 3 weeks (invite online very soon).

Finally on the Saturday night of Nationals are the BDGA Annual Dinner and Awards. These is always a great laugh, a bit more than your usual tournament Saturday night where we get together for a nice meal and present this year's winners with their trophies.

Who will win the coveted Disc Golf's Funniest Moment 2006? :D (Nige will be asking for your nominations very soon)

Keep and eye on this thread for more details and ask any questions about the event here too.

Cheers
Jes*
DoC

Jester

Post by Jester » Mon Sep 18, 2006 9:35 am

Time to shout out your colours, folks. Regardless of your current position in Powerstats, who's intending coming and who isn't?

Copy this list below in your reply and add your name. :)

In
Derek
Jester

Out

bruce

Post by bruce » Mon Sep 18, 2006 12:03 pm

In
Derek
Jester
Bruce

Out
[Standard post disclaimer] My posts are never intended to undermine the work of the Board or individuals putting in effort to grow the sport, they are my honest thoughts on the best ways to grow the game

BDGA: 145
PDGA: 8824

Village

Post by Village » Mon Sep 18, 2006 12:06 pm

In
Derek
Jester
Bruce
Village
The worst thing about having a failing memory is.....no, its gone...

Running with scissors since 1977

BDGA 173 PDGA 8831

TheGroover

Post by TheGroover » Mon Sep 18, 2006 1:53 pm

Village wrote:In
Derek
Jester
Bruce
Village
I'#ll be there, but i'm so far off the top 16 it will take some serious dropping out for me to compete in the "real" tourny... Mind you, I adopted the same tactic at the british open, and look where that got me...! :D
----------------
Keep up to date with Oxford's summer league...
Oxdisc blog: http://oxdisc.blogspot.com

lukehillson

Post by lukehillson » Tue Sep 19, 2006 6:58 am

I'll be there to join in the fun at the 'not the top 16' section. As I've never played a tourney before, its gonna take quite a few people to drop out before I get into that 16!

...any other beginners going along?
Interested in Ultimate? Check out...

http://www.leamingtonlemmings.co.uk

Jester

Post by Jester » Tue Sep 19, 2006 8:57 am

So far we have:

In
Derek
Jester
Bruce
Village
And Cotgreave
Luke Hillson

Out

More names please!

West

Post by West » Tue Sep 19, 2006 9:14 am

Jon's been quite inconsiderate to the cause and decided to get married that weekend so i won't be able to attend (not that am anywhere near the top 16 :wink: )

I'm sure the date is not through choice of his own (the other half being a teacher, it being half term ... you do the maths) ... here's to many more years of being under the thumb :twisted:

:wink:
"West"
PDGA: #8823
BDGA: #250
Twitter: @WestDiscGolf
BDGA DoC 2007 - 2011

Jon

Post by Jon » Tue Sep 19, 2006 9:24 am

West wrote:Jon's here's to many more years of being under the thumb
How true..... how true!

This year has on the whole just been too crazy, I have had to pull out of two tournies due to house moving/wedding things..... rediculous! Next year however.... ooh you better all watch out!

Jon

West

Post by West » Tue Sep 19, 2006 9:45 am

Jon wrote:
West wrote:Jon's here's to many more years of being under the thumb
How true..... how true!

This year has on the whole just been too crazy, I have had to pull out of two tournies due to house moving/wedding things..... rediculous! Next year however.... ooh you better all watch out!

Jon
Sounds good ... ROAD TRIP!!!! 8)
"West"
BDGA DoC 2007 - 2011

BOF

Post by BOF » Tue Sep 19, 2006 7:07 pm

In
Derek
Jester
Bruce
Village
And Cotgreave
Luke Hillson
COnor (hopefully!)

Nige

Post by Nige » Tue Sep 19, 2006 7:52 pm

In
Derek
Jester
Bruce
Village
And Cotgreave
Luke Hillson
COnor (hopefully!)
Nige (can I apply for a wildcard entry? :))

Del

Post by Del » Tue Sep 19, 2006 10:23 pm

Two important updates for the National Matchplay Champ's weekend: -

1. For the "Not the Top 16" I am proposing a Handicap Strokeplay event for the Sunday. I am hoping that this will attract not only the familiar faces from tour events, but also some of the local players who have started to frequent Quarry Park. There is a Beginners event on the 8th October at Quarry Park to give people a taster of tournament play, so the Handicap will follow on nicely.

2. I have a provisional booking for the Annual Dinner and Awards to be held at the Clarendon Arms, by the castle in Kenilworth. I'll be seeing the manager later this week, to discuss numbers, costs and menus etc. The upstairs room caters for 40-45 diners, so if we can get close to that number we will get the room to ourselves without having to pay any room booking fee.

Hopefully in the next day or two, I'll open up a page on the Quarry Park website to record entrants for both events and note down who will be attending the dinner. I'll let you know when that is in place.

The course is in great shape. Frank and I (well more Frank than I!) had a massive clear out of dead wood, debris and brambles etc on the ditch by hole 3. (Not that any of you go in there of course, or should I say off course)

Del
Derek Robins
Quarry Park Disc Golf

TheGroover

Post by TheGroover » Wed Sep 20, 2006 7:44 am

Del wrote:Two important updates for the National Matchplay Champ's weekend: -

1. For the "Not the Top 16" I am proposing a Handicap Strokeplay event for the Sunday. I am hoping that this will attract not only the familiar faces from tour events, but also some of the local players who have started to frequent Quarry Park.
Just to clarify, Not the 16 is ONE day only?

hmmm. I'm 48th in Powerstats. It would take some obscene lack of interest in the tourny for me to make it into the top 16...
----------------
Keep up to date with Oxford's summer league...
Oxdisc blog: http://oxdisc.blogspot.com

bruce

Post by bruce » Wed Sep 20, 2006 7:53 am

TheGroover wrote:
Del wrote:Two important updates for the National Matchplay Champ's weekend: -

1. For the "Not the Top 16" I am proposing a Handicap Strokeplay event for the Sunday. I am hoping that this will attract not only the familiar faces from tour events, but also some of the local players who have started to frequent Quarry Park.
Just to clarify, Not the 16 is ONE day only?

hmmm. I'm 48th in Powerstats. It would take some obscene lack of interest in the tourny for me to make it into the top 16...
Nope, it's two day I'm sure. Will confirm with Del
[Standard post disclaimer] My posts are never intended to undermine the work of the Board or individuals putting in effort to grow the sport, they are my honest thoughts on the best ways to grow the game

lukehillson

Post by lukehillson » Wed Sep 20, 2006 5:31 pm

I was under the impression the 'not the top 16' was on the sunday only. If people turn up for the saturday also, there will be something sorted on an ad-hoc basis.

Luke.
Interested in Ultimate? Check out...

http://www.leamingtonlemmings.co.uk

West

Post by West » Wed Sep 20, 2006 9:23 pm

Del wrote:1. For the "Not the Top 16" I am proposing a Handicap Strokeplay event for the Sunday.
If it is just the sunday and assuming i don't have a too heavier night a Jon's wedding, then i might play :)
"West"
BDGA DoC 2007 - 2011

Del

Post by Del » Mon Oct 02, 2006 8:39 pm

The good news: Fernando and Ivan have confirmed that they are coming to the Matchplay

From north of the border: Liam and John Bruce are not going to make it (nor Trevor for that matter) I've heard on the grapevine that Chris Rivera is coming, but no word from Hamish, Daws, and Calum

Remember that registration is also for the meal, so if you can only make the evening for the Awards Dinner, let me know.
http://www.quarrypark.co.uk/eventsqpnationals06.htm

Del
www.quarrypark.co.uk

bruce

Post by bruce » Tue Oct 03, 2006 7:35 am

At Pete's party, Gwyn said he'd be playing...

Jester

Post by Jester » Tue Oct 03, 2006 5:27 pm

The invitation for the BDGA National Championship, Not the Nationals, Awards & Annual Dinner can now be downloaded from the BDGA site:

http://www.bdga.org.uk/tour_event_detai ... eventID=25
Jester
BDGA #128
PDGA #8817
------------------------------------------------------
Croydon DGC: Hyzer Cup Champions 08/09, 13/14