BDGA tour 2016

Does what it says on the tin!
bruce

Re: BDGA tour 2016

Post by bruce » Tue May 31, 2016 12:39 pm

A little tour guidance appreciated.

For at least a few years I've been running the Junior division as a stand alone division. If you're junior eligible but elect to play Adv Am then you're not in the running for the Junior trophy, just as for Croydon Jester played Open so doesn't win Masters despite being really old.

It's been suggested to me that other events in 2016 to date have simply been giving the top Junior players awards regardless of what division they're in, and I was wondering if there is an official BDGA stance on this please?
[Standard post disclaimer] My posts are never intended to undermine the work of the Board or individuals putting in effort to grow the sport, they are my honest thoughts on the best ways to grow the game

BDGA: 145
PDGA: 8824

Jester

Post by Jester » Tue May 31, 2016 12:44 pm

I SAID IT'S HALF PAST NINE, DEAR.
Jester
BDGA #128
PDGA #8817
------------------------------------------------------
Croydon DGC: Hyzer Cup Champions 08/09, 13/14

Jester

Post by Jester » Tue May 31, 2016 12:58 pm

bruce wrote:If you're junior eligible but elect to play Adv Am then you're not in the running for the Junior trophy, just as for Croydon Jester played Open so doesn't win Masters despite being really old.

It's been suggested to me that other events in 2016 to date have simply been giving the top Junior players awards regardless of what division they're in, and I was wondering if there is an official BDGA stance on this please?
In addition to Bruce's question, I'd like to see the Board clarify how player performance in any BDGA Division (Junior, Masters, Adv Am etc) will be viewed in relation to Euros qualification.

For example if I elect to play Open in all forthcoming BDGA Tour events, will that count against me if I wanted to be considered to play Masters at the next Euros? Additionally the Board could consider how to factor in players turning the age required to qualify for a division at Euros that they have never previously been able to compete it by virtue of being too young (what happened to me in season 2015).
Jester
BDGA #128
PDGA #8817

bruce

Post by bruce » Tue May 31, 2016 10:18 pm

Eventually I'll also be interested in an answer to Jester's question. Not for a while though...
[Standard post disclaimer] My posts are never intended to undermine the work of the Board or individuals putting in effort to grow the sport, they are my honest thoughts on the best ways to grow the game

BOF

Post by BOF » Wed Jun 01, 2016 7:19 am

Jester,

Shouldn't that picture of that young man holding a trophy be replaced by a sepia print version of the same to reflect how long ago it was taken?

BOF

Big Putt
BDGA #33
PDGA #8835

http://www.ashvillediscgolf.co.uk

Jester

Post by Jester » Wed Jun 01, 2016 1:14 pm

BOF wrote:Jester,

Shouldn't that picture of that young man holding a trophy be replaced by a sepia print version of the same to reflect how long ago it was taken?

BOF

Big Putt
Maybe yes, if the pic was of one of the other 4 times the trophy has been held :wink:, but as that pic is from 2013 I think colour is fine. :D
Jester
BDGA #128
PDGA #8817

Phil Wood

Post by Phil Wood » Mon Jun 20, 2016 7:24 pm

bruce wrote:A little tour guidance appreciated.

For at least a few years I've been running the Junior division as a stand alone division. If you're junior eligible but elect to play Adv Am then you're not in the running for the Junior trophy, just as for Croydon Jester played Open so doesn't win Masters despite being really old.

We will factor this into the future tour guidance as its not covered in the current, however the stance i would take is that only Juniors competing in that division are eligible.

If you are young and good enough then 1, im jealous of you, and 2 should be recognized for competing in the appropriate division not having 2 bites of the cherry.

LostMeow

Post by LostMeow » Tue Jun 21, 2016 6:23 pm

bruce wrote:A little tour guidance appreciated.

My take on this was that I wanted to encourage Juniors by having a dedicated trophy for them, but as the BDGA Tour does not run a Junior division (for Stats) they might well want to compete for a title - both Tomasz and Declan at the Cyclone wanted to compete in Adv Am.
Tom
ND

bruce

Post by bruce » Tue Jun 21, 2016 6:57 pm

A fair point Tom. Maybe the BDGA should add the division to the scoring, they frequently outnumber the women currently.

LostMeow

Post by LostMeow » Tue Jun 21, 2016 7:49 pm

I dunno - I kinda like the way it is at the moment - these juniors are competitive in Adv Am (not so long for Open, I guess...!) so why not let them compete there. TD's choice as to whether to offer a Junior trophy or not?
Tom
ND

bruce

Post by bruce » Wed Jun 22, 2016 7:44 am

LostMeow wrote:I dunno - I kinda like the way it is at the moment - these juniors are competitive in Adv Am (not so long for Open, I guess...!) so why not let them compete there. TD's choice as to whether to offer a Junior trophy or not?
Couldn't you make the same case for Women and Masters though?

BOF

Post by BOF » Wed Jul 13, 2016 10:22 pm

Nationals Question:

Wanting to play at the new Manchester course, but not being available for the MODS event on August 20th, I was curious to know how the Nationals was to be arranged in terms of palyers from different divisions having their own matchplay event (could be difficult for some of the smaller categories!) or whether some other format had been devised to get 16 players competing across all the age/ratings categories?
Just wondering whether I may/may not be invited or even 'in with a shout' - given that I'm in the Masters division and will only be making two, maybe three, events this year.
Can anyone comment on how things might be arranged this year?
Many thanks

BOF

Big Putt
BDGA #33
PDGA #8835

Phil Wood

Post by Phil Wood » Fri Jul 15, 2016 7:52 am

Hey Bof,

This years nationals will be the same as last years. Top 14 open finishers, masters champs and ad am champ invited, following placed filled through pdga rating (no age bias).

Over the last few years players with high 890's ratings have ended up competing in the top 16.

Hope that clarifies,

Phil

BOF

Post by BOF » Mon Jul 18, 2016 9:07 pm

Thanks, Phil.

I'll just see what happens, then.

BOF

Big Wait
BDGA #33
PDGA #8835

jonny

Post by jonny » Sun Oct 16, 2016 9:50 am

How are the dates coming on for next year please Phil?

Already booked 3 holidays for next year so our calendar is filling up rapidly.

Also a heads up - if no-one is going to offer a tournament discount for juniors with BDGA membership then I am not going to renew Ned's membership next year. Sorry the benefits do not stack up against the cost.

Cheers

Jonny

SueU

Post by SueU » Sat Oct 22, 2016 11:52 am

Masters tournament will be September at Quarry Park Just waiting for confirmation of Croydon - also September - and will then confirm date for masters :D

BOF

Post by BOF » Sun Oct 23, 2016 9:15 am

Shall we call you Jonny ThreeHolidays from now on, then?

Is that 2 weeks in the Algarve, Christmas in Monaco and a couple of weeks snowboarding in Meribel?

Life must be tough for you International, sponsored, jet-setting disc golfers!

In jest, as always...

BOF

Big Vacation
BDGA #33
PDGA #8835