BDGA tour 2016

Does what it says on the tin!
Phil Wood

BDGA tour 2016

Post by Phil Wood » Fri Oct 09, 2015 2:55 pm

i have sent out a message regarding the 2016 tour, if you did not not receive this but would be interested in hosting an event, please let me know.

thanks,

Phil

seamus

Re: BDGA tour 2016

Post by seamus » Tue Oct 20, 2015 2:31 pm

How is it all coming together Phil?
I believe The Moray Open will be applying for Bdga sanctioning the weekend of April 2nd, with a little razzle dazzle before and after the event.
Back to back, chicken shack.

ReBoot Disc Golf
www.rebootdiscgolf.com

seamus

Post by seamus » Wed Oct 28, 2015 8:37 am

What changes if any are on the table for the Bdga Tour 2016?

I feel compelled to ask due to the evolution taking place in the larger tours, Euro Tour, Pdga National Tour, World Tour, Pro Tour, and I'm curious how these changes might be affecting the Bdga Tour. In addition to these changes to the larger tours there will be three strong regional tours in the UK competing with the Bdga Tour for dates and attendance as well.

ReBoot Disc Golf
www.rebootdiscgolf.com

bruce

Post by bruce » Fri Oct 30, 2015 8:38 am

seamus wrote:What changes if any are on the table for the Bdga Tour 2016?
Would be good to get an answer to this. Based on the emails I've received as a TD my assumption is that no changes are planned, but that would be at odds with the now withdrawn proposals that were looking to change the scoring system. I'm not sure if that's still intended to go ahead.
[Standard post disclaimer] My posts are never intended to undermine the work of the Board or individuals putting in effort to grow the sport, they are my honest thoughts on the best ways to grow the game

BDGA: 145
PDGA: 8824

mat cutler

Post by mat cutler » Fri Oct 30, 2015 12:21 pm

The other proposal I would like to add to scoring is that we run a performance flight competition of some sort for all pdga members in 2016. We failed to fill our spot at usdgc this year. I don't know what the changes of the world tour will effect the usdgc performance flight but it'd be interesting to get some competition across all divisions even if it doesn't lead to qualification to usdgc.

For the format I would suggest best 10 performance rounds over the season? this would mean a minimum of 3 tournaments (as long as one a 4round event) or could be the best 10 from all season?

thoughts

seamus

Post by seamus » Sun Nov 01, 2015 5:38 pm

mat cutler wrote:The other proposal I would like to add to scoring is that we run a performance flight competition of some sort for all pdga members in 2016. We failed to fill our spot at usdgc this year. I don't know what the changes of the world tour will effect the usdgc performance flight but it'd be interesting to get some competition across all divisions even if it doesn't lead to qualification to usdgc.

For the format I would suggest best 10 performance rounds over the season? this would mean a minimum of 3 tournaments (as long as one a 4round event) or could be the best 10 from all season?

thoughts
Why not just set a deadline and use Pdga points earned? This way the Pdga system already in place does the work.

http://www.pdga.com/players/stats?Year= ... pdateDate=

Bdga Tour 2016
No Change = No Good

ReBoot Disc Golf
www.rebootdiscgolf.com

LostMeow

Post by LostMeow » Mon Nov 02, 2015 6:21 am

I think at the moment we're struggling to work out what the hell people want from us / the BDGA Tour. The experience of a couple of weeks ago was definitely the lowest point in my time in British DG. But the new points system could stand. We felt it was important to at least try a new scoring system to see how it works out.

We figured it was too late this year to integrate the regional tours with the BDGA Tour but that it was a priority to sort out for 2017, giving people plenty of time to plan.

Seamus, I'm not sure if the PDGA points thing helps to identify a Performance Flight player - i.e. someone who has played really well versus their rating. It's also confusing because some players (e.g. me) appear twice due to playing both Pro and Am.

Should we just use the British Open (at Dunbar again?) as the selection for the USDGC place? (Using a performance flight method)
Tom
ND

seamus

Post by seamus » Mon Nov 02, 2015 10:32 am

To be honest that thread on Facebook you're referring to grew so fast I didn't bother reading much of it, seemed like mob mentality to me.
LostMeow wrote:Should we just use the British Open (at Dunbar again?) as the selection for the USDGC place? (Using a performance flight method)
We're still waiting on the Euro Tour dates, which now MIGHT be in April or May. Our preliminary scheduling for the Quaich Tour is on hold until Pdga Europe makes the decision on events/dates. Pdga Europe is evolving the Euro Tour quickly to meet the demands of an expanding player base and other outside factors. I've securely fastened my seat belt for this ride. Although I agree with what is being proposed the changes if enacted do not guarantee a Euro Tour date in the UK anymore. If I was a betting person I'd put money down on us getting the event but until the dates come in I cannot be certain. I will certainly contact Phil when I hear from Hans.

ReBoot Disc Golf
www.rebootdiscgolf.com

Dan

Post by Dan » Mon Nov 02, 2015 11:27 am

I agree Seamus. The several days after the board put out that statement was pretty ridiculous and I think a few people lost touch with reality of what the bdga is for a while. Sorry to hear you took that so hard Tom. I hope it hasn't put you off working with bdga.

As for the Eurotour, I do hope that Dunbar gets the spot. Hopefully enough good feedback from the course and the event trickles down and it is secured. It would be very suspicious if the dutch get two eurotours though again and we got overlooked. I'm sure that won't be the case.

If the eurotour is secured, I think having our USDGC spot going to the best performance at that event is perfectly reasonable Tom. Alternatively we could have a poll of what players would actually take if they won that spot. As much as I would like to go, it's still incredibly expensive and difficult. It might be the case that there is only person who could take it up and we could just offer it up to them.

Dan

bruce

Post by bruce » Mon Nov 02, 2015 5:09 pm

I have been pushing the case for Dunbar, fingers crossed. There are 7 bids for 6 spots (only one Dutch BTW), so one will go...

Whilst having some kind of performance measure as qualifier for USDGC makes some logical sense, given it will be a performance system used there, of course it has no real impact on how someone performs while out there! I have an issue with most handicap/performance systems, they are inherently biased towards lower rated players. Dan makes an excellent point that we should try to work out who would actually go, and then have a competition of some sort between them.

I have thoughts on the Tour etc, but thought best to remove from the 2016 events thread, see here: http://bdga.org.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1910
[Standard post disclaimer] My posts are never intended to undermine the work of the Board or individuals putting in effort to grow the sport, they are my honest thoughts on the best ways to grow the game

BDGA: 145
PDGA: 8824

Phil Wood

Post by Phil Wood » Mon Nov 09, 2015 2:32 pm

All, we are very almost there, we are still waiting on confirmation of the BO.

Event 1 – Feb 20/21 Whitcombe Frostbreaker
BRITISH OPEN march 12/13 Dunbar (proposed)
Event 2 – Mar 26-27 Mull (28th BH)
Event 3 – Apr 2/3 Burnlaw
Event 4 – April 30/1 – Mt Edgcumbe, Plymouth (2nd BH)
Event 5 – May 21/22 Croydon
Event 6 – Jun 25/26 Myerscough
Event 7 – July 23/24 QP
Event 8 – Aug 13/14 Essex
Event 9 – Sep 10/11 – Creeksea Place - Burnham on Crouch
Event 10 - Oct1/2 Mendips
Nationals – Oct 29/30 Manchester

Lots of questions on the tour structure, the board is looking into our options but this season was too soon to change the number or events (or structure at large) without full consultation with members. We will be making a proposal with regards to the overarching event scoring, once the constitution has been revised in time for the 2016 season.

I will be discussing the 2017 season with the TDs to understand their thoughts before we can bring a proposals to the membership in time for the 2016 AGM.

Back to this season though, and there are two new tour venues and a new Nationals venue - Mt Edgcumbe - hosts of the 2015 Nationals - Creeksea Place - a new venue being opened by Emily Wilsdon - and Manchester DG that has been much publicised on facebook.

From Em -The course is a full 18 hole course (and separate short course). We are in the process of designing it now, and my plan is to play it with lots of different people to make tweaks before we install the baskets and tees permanently so it should be really well thought through before September, but the aim is to make it a 'black' course with a mix of par 3s and 4s. Tees and baskets will be competition standard- probably Mach X baskets if I get my way ;) Tees will be wood with grip strips and PDGA standard size. The whole course will be well signed and marked as we do plan to run it privately for a fee.

Obviously the course will be new and the trees will need time to grow in so it will change a lot over the next few years, but it is a beautiful spot with lots of interesting challenges and I think it will be really fun to play. Camping and parking will be available on site with showers and toilets. We also have a cafe on site so breakfast and lunch will arranged through there, with optional BBQ in the evening.

seamus

Post by seamus » Tue Nov 10, 2015 9:31 am

seamus wrote:We're still waiting on the Euro Tour dates, which now MIGHT be in April or May. Our preliminary scheduling for the Quaich Tour is on hold until Pdga Europe makes the decision on events/dates.
^^^ November 2nd

Wait until the Euro Tour dates are announced so we can See the best fit for other events and maximize potential.

I received an email late Thursday evening while on holiday regarding an invitation for a potential Bdga tour date this autumn and the Board could not wait more than 3 days to see a reply before moving forward?

Seriously?

What is the deadline for Bdga Tour proposals?
Where is this deadline posted?

I've heard a decision has been made regarding the Euro Tour dates, hopefully I will be contacted soon.

ReBoot Disc Golf
www.rebootdiscgolf.com

Phil Wood

Post by Phil Wood » Tue Nov 10, 2015 10:02 am

The deadline, is the amount of time i can spare outside of full time job and a young family. I normally have this nailed down by the previous seasons National, so by my own standards this is not good. That and players and TDs wanting to get there own schedules in order.

There is no formal deadline as to date i have always been chasing TDs and venues rather than having a TD come to me with X and Y date they want to run on. Next season im more than happy to set a fixed deadline and then still end up chasing as we only have one or two events confirmed.

As i said in my email to you, i had alternate venues as an option. One of those was a round peg into a round hole. Apologies if it feels too quick and you didnt have a chance to respond, but like i have said i need to get this schedule formalized so TDs know what they are doing and i can get it off my desk. Meaning i can concentrate on things like Tour Standard Guidelines and TD support information.

Im very appreciative of the Eurotour date being up in the air, and the impact it may have on the tour. I will deal with that when we know what the impacts are.

Phil

seamus

Post by seamus » Tue Nov 10, 2015 5:12 pm

My apologies Phil it is not my intention to dump frustration on you alone.

ReBoot Disc Golf
www.rebootdiscgolf.com

Dan

Post by Dan » Mon Nov 16, 2015 8:37 am

Eurotour schedule has just been published. British open is set to be the 14/15th of May.

http://pdga-europe.com/2015/11/eurotour ... -calendar/

Scuttler

Post by Scuttler » Mon Nov 16, 2015 2:23 pm

Dan wrote:Eurotour schedule has just been published. British open is set to be the 14/15th of May.

http://pdga-europe.com/2015/11/eurotour ... -calendar/
Will the BDGA tour dates need to shuffle now to accommodate this?

Phil Wood

Post by Phil Wood » Tue Nov 17, 2015 1:36 pm

Im talking with TDs/impacted events to see what works best for all concerned. Any changes will be kept to a minimum, and hopefully confirmed later this week.

Phil Wood

Post by Phil Wood » Fri Nov 20, 2015 4:59 pm

Confirmed Tour

Event 1 – Feb 20/21 Whitcombe Frostbreaker
Event 2 – Mar 26-27 Mull (28th BH)
Event 3 – Apr 2/3 Burnlaw
Event 4 – April 30/1 – Mt Edgcumbe, Plymouth (2nd BH)
BRITISH OPEN May 14/15 Dunbar
Event 5 – May 21/22 Croydon
Event 6 – Jun 25/26 Myerscough
Event 7 – July 23/24 QP
Event 8 – Aug 13/14 Essex
Event 9 – Sep 10/11 – Creeksea Place - Burnham on Crouch
Event 10 - Oct1/2 Mendips
Nationals – Oct 29/30 Manchester

Its not ideal to have the Open and Croydon as back to back weekends but TD availability has left no other options, maybe it will mean a few travelling Europeans venturing down to the smoke for an extra competition.

Have good tour all!

Trevor

Post by Trevor » Fri Nov 20, 2015 9:26 pm

Cheers Phil, thanks for all the work put in.

It may be with the changes to the Eurotour BO places will be at a premium for lower rated UK players and so may not have too much of an effect on Croydon turn out. Time will tell.

Charlie Mead

Post by Charlie Mead » Sun Nov 22, 2015 5:52 pm

Personally very disappointed that Euro Tour no longer includes Senior Grands. After all we have produced many sons and a few daughters who are the future of the sport! Will have to sharpen my game for European Championships elsewhere next year.
Charlie Mead
charlie.mead01@gmail.com
http://www.cpsforchildren.com
http://www.mulldiscgolf.org.uk
For Tournament Discs see:
http://www.disczoo.com/