BDGA Board Elections 2015

Does what it says on the tin!
richard

BDGA Board Elections 2015

Post by richard » Sun Sep 06, 2015 5:55 pm

An email has been sent to all members and associates informing you of the upcoming BDGA Board elections. If you havent received the email... please check your Junk Mail. If you havent subscribed to the newsletter (this is the way Im getting the email to you) please sign up using the tab aboveon the BDGA Page
Here is the contents:
Dear members,
I am writing to inform you of the forthcoming elections for BDGA Board positions and to invite you to stand for election, if you should so wish. The positions available are:
National Director - currently Neil Webber, who will be stepping down.
Secretary - currently Tom Lowes
Treasurer - currently Dunc Hartshorne, who will be stepping down
Director of Competitions - currently Phil Wood
Director of Communications - currently Rich Wood
You are invited to run for any of the above positions. If the role is currently occupied, you will run against the current incumbent. For more information on each role, please email the relevant person:
National Director - director@bdga.org.uk
Secretary - secretary@bdga.org.uk
Treasurer - treasurer@bdga.org.uk
Competitions - competitions@bdga.org.uk
Communications - communications@bdga.org.uk
This year we will be trialling an online voting system in advance of the AGM, which I shall email you about in due course.
Please let me have your applications by Wednesday September 23rd.
Cheers,
Tom Lowes
BDGA Secretary
BDGA #259
PDGA #8840
-------------------------------------------------------
Croydon DGC: Hyzer Cup Champions 08/09 and 2013/14

burt

Re: BDGA Board Elections 2015

Post by burt » Mon Sep 07, 2015 10:21 am

Do associate members get a vote or just Paid members?

richard

Post by richard » Mon Sep 07, 2015 5:22 pm

I was asked to send to all on the newsletter list. There is a vin line voting system in the offing and that link will, I believe, be sent to voting members.
BDGA #259
PDGA #8840

burt

Post by burt » Mon Sep 07, 2015 6:07 pm

Rich, that doesn't really answer the question?
Who will the voting members be? Paid members or paid and associate?
Ta

richard

Post by richard » Mon Sep 07, 2015 6:09 pm

Ah I see what you mean. That'll be a constitutional matter. Bear with me caller. I will come back
BDGA #259
PDGA #8840

richard

Post by richard » Mon Sep 07, 2015 8:49 pm

Only fully paid up members of the BDGA have voting rights.
BDGA #259
PDGA #8840

burt

Post by burt » Tue Sep 08, 2015 8:03 am

Thanks Rich,

Also do we have any dates for Elections and or AGM yet?

seamus

Post by seamus » Tue Sep 08, 2015 8:49 am

Can the AGM put Skype to good use?
Back to back, chicken shack.

ReBoot Disc Golf
www.rebootdiscgolf.com

richard

Post by richard » Tue Sep 08, 2015 12:11 pm

We could use periscope if there's any reception at qp... It would all depend if they have been upgraded... It used to be a vodafone blacks pot, not sure about other networks
BDGA #259
PDGA #8840

burt

Post by burt » Wed Sep 09, 2015 9:12 pm

Rich why are you swimming in the river at QP with your periscope? skype would seem like a good idea, is there a date for the AGM?
Also is the constitution available anywhere?

richard

Post by richard » Thu Sep 10, 2015 7:31 am

Unless Skype has changed ramatically I can't see how Skype is going to work. How do you get a sensible free flowing agm with input from everyone in attendance if you've got 50 people trying to butt in on Skype? periscope is for viewing only and I doubt if the reception would work anyway... And then no one would watch coz they are scared of twitter!
BDGA #259
PDGA #8840

seamus

Post by seamus » Thu Sep 10, 2015 8:34 am

richard wrote:How do you get a sensible free flowing agm with input from everyone in attendance if you've got 50 people trying to butt in on Skype?
How about if you can't bother to get your lazy posterior to the meeting you cannot comment unless asked to by a member of the Board.

ReBoot Disc Golf
www.rebootdiscgolf.com

LostMeow

Post by LostMeow » Thu Sep 10, 2015 9:54 am

Ah, I get it - so you mean hold the meeting as usual but broadcast it on Skype for people to watch if they aren't there?
Tom
ND

richard

Post by richard » Thu Sep 10, 2015 12:44 pm

If that were to happen then we would need a venue with great wifi, room without distraction noise and a strict "one person at a time" policy. One would suspect that one or all are unworkable.
BDGA #259
PDGA #8840

seamus

Post by seamus » Thu Sep 10, 2015 5:58 pm

Cheers Richard for considering Skype.

ReBoot Disc Golf
www.rebootdiscgolf.com

richard

Post by richard » Thu Sep 10, 2015 6:09 pm

If you want to watch and listen we could try periscope. You would have to have a twitter account and you could interact on twitter or Facebook live. You can't talk but it's possible. Haven't tried it and as long as there's mobile reception and an appetite for the amount of work. I'm not doing it if there's only a handful of viewers
BDGA #259
PDGA #8840

richard

Post by richard » Tue Sep 15, 2015 6:35 pm

James Luton has put his hat in the ring for ND. It's all over on Facebook and they are discussing how best to show it on the forum. Please be patient, it'll happen soon
BDGA #259
PDGA #8840

bruce

Post by bruce » Wed Sep 16, 2015 7:58 am

James Luton Manifesto

James would prefer emails to jamesbnluton at gmail.com, but will also endeavour to monitor this thread.

What he does not want (Hatton...) is a 2000 word essay on his ideas, please try to limit yourselves to constructive comments/questions...
For transparency, you may also wish to post your questions here so other people can see what has been asked.
[Standard post disclaimer] My posts are never intended to undermine the work of the Board or individuals putting in effort to grow the sport, they are my honest thoughts on the best ways to grow the game

BDGA: 145
PDGA: 8824

bruce

Post by bruce » Thu Sep 17, 2015 8:29 am

Some thoughts I sent to James:

1. Most decisions the Board has taken have been consulted on the forum or at AGM. While there may not have been a wider democratic vote the Board does not sit in isolation, and operates in line with most board structures I have ever encountered. Whilst formalising consultation with the clubs is a good idea, I would recommend retaining the final voting decision making on the Board.

2. This already exists, the Development committee consists of me, Derek, Matt, Chris OB, Neil Martin, Dan Whiteman, and we frequently extend to include others on the Board or relevant local contacts (e.g. Seamus for Scottish opportunities). Adding others to that committee is trivial. We have moved away from a BDGA/player based approach to course design, and onto a more professional model where it is outsourced to a paid engagement. This is a far better model IMO, for several reasons that I can expand on if you like.

3. As per previous statements, this is a problem for which I have been completely unable to find a viable solution for. Good luck!

4. See bottom, grouped with 9/10

5. I think this is an excellent idea. I support mandatory membership but had wondered how to remain inclusive to rookies.

6. I'm not sure how much of a BDGA priority this should be, the primary blockers as I understand it are time and expense, you can’t change the former (in fact you’re proposing to make it longer), and using BDGA monies to subsidise ECs would be controversial. If you can secure a sponsor, then maybe.

7. Sounds cool, just needs volunteers. Good video is difficult, and you need someone who’s willing to not play.

8. Having a dedicated person to coordinate sounds sensible, this was one of the roles I was suggesting for a paid employee. There is a large amount of expense in attending these events, are you proposing to pay their travel/accommodation costs? I have to say I am largely dubious on the return on investment in these events. Where there is an existing course or club planning a course, I see the value (but would suggest this is best accomplished by the club in question, rather than the BDGA), but attending events where there is currently no DG typically gains interest, but no progress. I'm interested to know if the Godiva festival thing actually resulted in any more players at Bedworth/QP?

4/9/10. Tour/events: I don’t know that scoring is really a major issue for the BDGA or wider growth, but as per a thousand other discussions there are pros/cons for any points system. The proposed one for your given example means that Sue would have got 90 points simply for turning up, even if she shot 30 shots a round worse than second. Vs someone in another event may have finished 5/50, just a few shots off the lead and gets less points… The points system needs to work with the Tour structure, don’t put the cart before the horse!
We will in 2016 I believe have more Tour standard courses than room for events in the calendar, unless we drastically change the tour structure. One option when supply exceeds demand is to cherry pick the best venues as per your standards idea, but that would tend to make it hard for newer venues to break in. Another option is to have a tier structure. With the regional tours in place and hopefully more starting, one suggestion was retaining the existing Tour schedule, but including all the regional events as well. E.g. Regional events get points for top 4 places: 20, 15, 10, 5. Total score is calculated as the best 4 events from Tour, and up to 5 Regional results.
I would also like to see Nationals have more cache, but the fact is that the Tour title seems to mean more to more people, and having it at the end of a long season tends to diminish attendance. Another option would be to have the tour as a merely a qualifier for Nationals, and to modify the season. Other sports have cross year seasons (football, rugby), so there’s no reason we couldn't have a 2016/17 season. The idea here would be to run tour from Sept – June, with Nationals at the end of June/early July. Nationals then has everything to play for, the British title in each division and also the EDGC team slots for the next event (not the same year, 16/17 Nats determines 2018 EDGC team)
[Standard post disclaimer] My posts are never intended to undermine the work of the Board or individuals putting in effort to grow the sport, they are my honest thoughts on the best ways to grow the game

BDGA: 145
PDGA: 8824

james

Post by james » Thu Sep 17, 2015 10:55 am

Quick rebuttal.

1. Noted and already had in mind. Final decision always rests with the board but aim is to create more transparency and openness

2. I'm sure this does already exist. However, having spoken to people who want to and have put courses in some of them had no idea it existed in the first place. Also my problem comes with passing these people on to Chris, Hatton, Nige etc who run companies based on making profit of putting in a disc golf course. My idea is to allow them to do it off their own work if possible with the BDGA helping with grants, advertisement and course design if it is necessary. This will then be incorporated with our course designers who may be brought in for consultation. My issue is that peoples first option should not be to pay someone else to do it.

3. Bring in a web designer. It's not massively difficult. It will cost for sure but currently seems like we have money burning a hole in our pocket. Lets finally have a good website going.

5. Thanks :) I've had a few ideas for rookies inclusion and had some constructive words with a number of members. My idea is to have the associate membership cover 1 full year on tour or 5-10 tournaments. After which you have to join. It has also been suggested that we incorporate a one off fee paid to the BDGA for a one tournament membership for friends or family who only intend to play one or two tournaments.

6. Time and expense are an issue which is why I want to try and organise early so there is time to plan. Also expense is lessened by travel together, early flight bookings and also what i've heard is that the Finns are hoping to subsidise accommodation due to it being quite pricey. Also I really think it is a big BDGA priority. Is it just me who finds themselves frustrated at not bringing a full strength team and never, ever, not even once having a good kit. It's embarrassing. We want to be taken seriously surely?

7. Fingers crossed we can work on it. Maybe even if just in finals where someone is following the group with a camera i know it happened at burnlaw

8. Well I wasn't suggesting covering anything at first. I mean there are people who have made these trips purely for the love of the sport. I know Gary is doing it this weekend at the Royal Berkshire Show. All it needs is one car of people to volunteer to help an already established club.

4/9/10. Most certainly Sue would have received 90 points for 3rd rather than 1. And I think thats good. We should be rewarding people for attending tournaments not punishing them. If someone has a problem with someone in their division getting a big stack of points if only 3 people turned up then quite simply they should have turned up and beaten them. I want to create a system where someone can come away from a tournament feeling like it was worthwhile towards their tour stats. Quite simply you can only play against who's there and if others in the division don't show up then thats their problem they shouldn't benefit from that by a rival only getting 1 point.
I'm not sure it makes it harder for new venues, each place will be given due consideration hopefully what it brings is new venues being put in the ground with high standards from day 1.
Nationals I like as a year ending tournament but i'm willing to look at it. Although I can't see the nationals deciding the EDGC team, it should always be based on average performance throughout the year.

Hope this clears a few things up! I'll try and keep monitoring the page for the non-facebook massive :)
Ken Climo isn't the only Champ.

"You don't win friends with salad" Homer Simpson

BDGA #135
PDGA #8856