BDGA #3- The Battle at Bluebell Woods

Does what it says on the tin!
seamus

Re: BDGA #3- The Battle at Bluebell Woods

Post by seamus » Wed Mar 12, 2014 8:53 pm

I've often heard at Wimbledon they get the courts in near perfect condition and then let local players tear them up a little with a club tournament. Well with that in mind we had over 30 future disc golf enthusiasts season the course this morning,
http://www.rebootdiscgolf.com/kings-mea ... ocial.html
They all agreed disc golf needs further investigation...
Cheers
Back to back, chicken shack.

ReBoot Disc Golf
www.rebootdiscgolf.com

Sky

Post by Sky » Wed Mar 12, 2014 9:11 pm

On a very random side note. Any mechanics /car enthusiasts around this weekend? My car has decided to developed a problem with the EGR thingy mabob and I don't want to dig I into my golf funds to pay a mechanic who's going to frank sidebottom me out a few hundred quid!

Just need some one to show me how to check/clean it/ make sure I'm not going to take the wrong part out! :-D
Graham
BDGA # 1116
PDGA # 62324

Paul Holden

Post by Paul Holden » Thu Mar 13, 2014 7:32 am

seamus wrote:The #120 Bus will go past The Royal Mack en route to the train station, the entrance to the train station is at the front of the Hotel. Its about a 3+/- mile trip to the entrance of Foxlake, this bus will also go past Meadowhead Caravan park. Just alert the driver where you'd like to jump off it shouldn't be an issue.

Paul the course is not far from the caravan park at all if on a bicycle, ride through West Barns and past East Links Family Park, take the right before the roundabout up a paved road toward Hedderwick Hill Stables, then your first left , mind the pheasants, stay on the pavement up the hill and you'll see the old stable blocks at the end of the course. When the pavement ends take a left onto the dirt road, you'll have seen a few baskets and tees at this point, your on the course by hole 12. If anyone has to walk from Meadowhead this is a shorter route, by car its easier to go to the main gate.
Thanks, I will probably go to the course first on Friday anyway, arriving about 1pm.
Paul Holden
BDGA No. 307
PDGA No. 34662

seamus

Post by seamus » Thu Mar 13, 2014 9:36 am

Fair warning, this is not a criticism just an observation, please be aware the cafe at Foxlake has not opened for the season making the closest place for food a small store in West Barns. There are also two vending machine that sell coffee and crisps.
Saturday Lunch
Pulled Pork, Cole Slaw, Potato Salad, Rolls, Cheese, Biscuits, candy Bars, water
Apples,Bananas
Sunday Lunch
Ham,Salami,Cheese Sandwiches,Crisps,biscuits,candy bars, water
Apples,Bananas

the following entrants are not signed up for lunch;
Matt Cutler
Chris O'Brien
Hamish Blair
Seonaidh Charity
Joe O'Brien
Charile O'Brien
Phil Sumner
Philip Blount
Steven Chapman
Mark Fleetham
Nick Blakehill
Graham Robbie
Steve Cox
Lloyd Jacques
Marc Potts

Please send an email immediately if you change your mind as we will be shopping.
The course has dried out nicely and never looked better Whoot!!
I'll be at the course most of the day tomorrow, safe travels see you soon.
m07572 127020
Cheers

ReBoot Disc Golf
www.rebootdiscgolf.com

BaggerBlakehill

Post by BaggerBlakehill » Thu Mar 13, 2014 9:58 am

Thanks for the heads up Seamus however I'm good for lunch as I'll nip to the co op to grab stuff. The only thing I would be interested to know though is that if the cafe isn't open, what facilities are available? As I'm not diving I'll likely have a bunch of stuff with me that I'd prefer to leave somewhere while playing. Will there be anywhere open I can leave things like trainers, jackets etc?
Still suffering from early wood

BDGA# 1112
PDGA# 61657

seamus

Post by seamus » Thu Mar 13, 2014 10:31 am

Nick, the area is very safe just like at QP you could leave your stuff anywhere without concern, say hello when you arrive and we'll find an area for your things.

Most of the facilities will be available, we'll have use of the Foxden (Wakeboarding clubhouse & Proshop) for food and Tournament Central, the deck overlooking the lake is for everyone at lunch as well. The changing rooms, showers, bathrooms will all be open and available for the weekend.
Foxlake will be open on Saturday so there should be some wakeboarding action to enjoy during the rounds.

ReBoot Disc Golf
www.rebootdiscgolf.com

BaggerBlakehill

Post by BaggerBlakehill » Thu Mar 13, 2014 4:36 pm

Thanks Seamus. I'm seriously looking forward to cetting to play the course. I should be arriving in Dunbar around 1:30 so by the time I've dropped off my gear at the hotel, I think I may just be able to get the bus around 2pm :)

BDGA# 1112
PDGA# 61657

seamus

Post by seamus » Fri Mar 14, 2014 6:37 am

Travel Day.
A few new items of relevance
Top score in the Amateur Division will receive a NutSac Bag, Go NutSac!!
CTP's
Hole 18- 2nd shot for the 6 pack of Cider
Hole 8- Disc
Long Putt
Hole 2- 5 liter Cask Beer
Hole 1- Disc

Open Purse is £475
paying out the top 6
1. £156- Trophy
2. £110- Trophy
3. £74- Trophy
4. £57
5. £45
6. £33
If you do not want to accept cash we'll be happy to give you a gift certificate for the same value to redeem in the Pro Shop.

Players meeting 8:45a

Hole Assignments Round 1
Hole 1
Ivan B
Chris O'B
Jester
Seamus

Hole 2
Paul S
Hamish B
Tom L

Hole 3
Sam S
Seonaidh C
Dan R

Hole 4
Simon L
Liam Y
Matt C

Hole 6
Sue U
James B
Paul H

Hole 9
Steven C
Dan B
Mark F
Phil S

Hole 10
Phil B
Lloyd J
Steve C

Hole 11
Gary O
Rodney W
Graham R

Hole 15
Nick B
Keith A
Rich W

Hole 17
Joe O'B
Richard C
Jon B

Hole 18
Marc P
Joe B
Charlie O'B

ReBoot Disc Golf
www.rebootdiscgolf.com

seamus

Post by seamus » Sun Mar 16, 2014 7:43 pm

Great couple of days of disc golf, It was a Battle.......
Congrats to our division winners
Joe O'Brien-Junior
Scuttler- Inter Am
Steve Cox- Advanced Am
Seonaidh Charity- Open (2 hole playoff)

The Pdga site is not cooperating so we'll give it another try soon.

ReBoot Disc Golf
www.rebootdiscgolf.com

Jester

Post by Jester » Mon Mar 17, 2014 11:10 am

Huge thanks for Seamus for organising a terrific first Tour event at Dunbar. The First Battle of Bluebell Woods at Dunbar certainly lived up to it's name with everyone in the field battling the mull-esque wind all weekend, and Seonaidh and Chris OB battling it out for the title in the last round. The course work and new holes put in since Nationals in last October have already improved what was a great course, can't wait to see how the continuing work helps thing bed-in and improve even further.

Congratulations to all the winners, and esp Seonaidh Charity on his maiden Tour win. I very much doubt it will be his last. :)
Jester
BDGA #128
PDGA #8817
------------------------------------------------------
Croydon DGC: Hyzer Cup Champions 08/09, 13/14

seamus

Post by seamus » Mon Mar 17, 2014 11:26 am

Results are posted
http://www.pdga.com/tour/event/16610
payouts are listed in the American Dollar

CTP/Long Putt winners
Dan Ryan- Touney Stamp Lace
Scuttler- Touney Stamp Lace
Seonaidh- Thistly Cross Cider
Jon Burden- Knops Cask of deliciousness
Neal- Lunch Putting contest £35
Mark F- Won Pool Tournament- 2 nights stay at Bellhaven Caravan Park

I'll need to submit a few adjustments in the report to the Pdga-
-Adv winner Steve Cox accepted £30 in merchandise
-Rodney Weeks took 2nd in Adv Am defeating Neal Clifton in a playoff
-Graham Robbie took 2nd defeating Dan brown in a playoff

It was nice to see everyone and enjoy the Scottish wind around the lake together. One thing I will say is after soooo much golf there were too many playoffs, we'll have to make the course harder :)
I'll post a recap with photos in a few days.
Thanks Again
Last edited by seamus on Mon Mar 17, 2014 2:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ReBoot Disc Golf
www.rebootdiscgolf.com

Scuttler

Post by Scuttler » Mon Mar 17, 2014 1:02 pm

What a great weekend. Made all the better by being 20 minutes drive away. :D

Good to see some old friends again (some older than others) and make some new ones at the same time.
seamus wrote:I'll need to submit a few adjustments in the report to the Pdga-
-Adv winner Steve Cox accepted £30 in merchandise
-Rodney Weeks took 2nd in Adv Am defeating Neal Clifton in a playoff
-Graham Robbie took 2nd defeating Dan brown in a playoff
Seamus, if you are making adjustments, Joe O'Brien played off the red tees (at least on the Saturday) so that probably needs reported as a different course?

Cheers,
Richard.

seamus

Post by seamus » Mon Mar 17, 2014 1:35 pm

Thanks Scuttler

Is anyone missing a jacket?
I found one in the clubhouse.

ReBoot Disc Golf
www.rebootdiscgolf.com

seamus

Post by seamus » Tue Mar 18, 2014 9:35 pm

I went on the course with a range finder today, under Pdga guidelines the course is actually a Par 60, can't argue with facts. Holes 5 and 9 barely make the distance for par 4's but given the wind and the statistics regarding how many 3's there were on these holes over the weekend its only fair to call them par 4's. In the near future I'll be moving these baskets (4 &9) into par 3 range because I do not believe they represent a good par 4.
DILLIGAF to the "I told you so's", and I mean that in the highest regard for sport :)
Thanks Jester for the range finder.

Hole Par Distance(Meters) O.B.
1. 3 366ft/111m OB- Fence on right and behind basket
2. 4 498ft/151m OB fence on right, water behind
3. 3 345ft/105m (also tee 8), no OB on hole 3
4. 3 318ft/97m OB Fence on right
5. 4 420ft/128m
6. 3 258ft/79m
7. 3 273ft/82m OB fence behind basket, first fence defined by posts.
8. 3 259ft/77m OB fence on right, first fence defined by posts, OB Water
9. 4 468ft/142m OB Creek on right, disc surrounded by water-OB, Bridge is OB, (use spotter)
10. 3 282ft/86m
11. 3 237ft/72m
12. 4 534ft/162m
13. 3 327ft/99m
14. 4 510ft/155m OB fence on left, fence next to dirt road not OB, marked(no OB)
15. 3 330ft/100m
16. 3 291ft/88m
17. 3 309ft/94m OB fence behind, first fence defined by posts
18. 4 604ft/184m OB Water, fence on right

Total Par 60 6629 Feet/2020 Meters

I've got some fantastic photos from the event and will put together a report soon.
Cheers

ReBoot Disc Golf
www.rebootdiscgolf.com

rhatton1

Post by rhatton1 » Wed Mar 19, 2014 11:50 am

Jester/Seamus - would I be able to borrow the rangefinder sometime soon - will pay for shipping.
www.discgolfuk.com
richard@discgolfuk.com
Home of the Midlands One Day Series
Talk to us about courses!

Jester

Post by Jester » Wed Mar 19, 2014 11:53 am

rhatton1 wrote:Jester/Seamus - would I be able to borrow the rangefinder sometime soon - will pay for shipping.
Sure, mate, happy for you to borrow my rangefinder after Seamus is done with it.

I do wonder however what has happened to the BDGA rangefinder purchased in 2003? Who has that?
Jester
BDGA #128
PDGA #8817

Jester

Post by Jester » Wed Mar 19, 2014 12:27 pm

I’ve just been speaking to Scott, the owner of the Belhaven Caravan park. During the weekend we were staying there was an issue with our boiler, we didn’t have any hot water all weekend so he’s refunded us a night’s stay which was very decent of him. The caravan park is in a great location close to the course and a pub and is great VFM. I can see that becoming a player base in future events.

Scott comes across as an honest hard-working bloke keen to please so it was disappointing to hear how some other golfers who stayed at the caravan park caused him a bit of a headache by not checking out by the 10am check-out time on Sunday morning. This meant his cleaners couldn’t get in to prepare the ‘vans for the next guests arriving Sunday afternoon, meaning they were sent away to stay at another park 9 miles away. If we imagine ourselves in the same situation, how would we have felt being told on arriving on Friday our caravans couldn’t be used because the previous guests hadn’t checked out in time? Pretty pissed off I imagine.

Scott holds his hands up that his booking confirmation email doesn’t make the check-out time clear, but I hardly think this is an excuse anyone could honestly cite. It’s stated in the literature in all the caravans, and anyway where else could you stay that the checkout time isn’t the morning of departure day? I would ask that in future golfers take a moment to think a little more so we don’t risk annoying a business owner who could be a potential supporter of forthcoming Foxlake events.

Thanks.
Jester
BDGA #128
PDGA #8817

BaggerBlakehill

Post by BaggerBlakehill » Wed Mar 19, 2014 3:33 pm

Hi Seamus. Good to read about the distances however I have a question for either you or maybe Jester regarding the pars; I get what you're saying about hole 5 barely making the par 4 distance but is elevation not taking into account here too? At 420 feet I could see hole 5 being a par 3 but with the massive change in elevation, it has to play much longer surely and therefore be taken into account, no? If you look at it the other way, if you had a 700 foot hole where the tee was on the side of a cliff with the green below, you wouldn't make it a par 5 just because 700 = par 5?

My other point was partly about hole 5 but also holes 4 and 13.... The tee lines on these holes could do with being another 3feet further forward as 4 has a tree literally on the back of the pad, 5 has the barbwire fence and 13 has a huge tree stump. This is only my opinion though and others may not see these as issues.

Lastly, did your diver friend take a trip into the lake yet? My bag is looking awfully empty right now. I'd hate to not get at least my ace race discs back as they're not making that same mold anymore (much to Neal's annoyance ;) ). I'm more than happy to pay for postage to get them back. I have 3 in front right corner when approaching from the tee of 18; Valkyrie + 2 ace races.

Thanks man :)

BDGA# 1112
PDGA# 61657

bruce

Post by bruce » Wed Mar 19, 2014 4:45 pm

To answer your questions

From the design guide: http://www.pdga.com/files/PDGA%20Course ... 202014.pdf
Elevation guidelines: The hole length used to determine par (not for the signs) should be adjusted up or down based on a 3-to-1 factor (i.e. 30 feet adjustment for every 10 feet elevation change) if the hole has a significant upslope or downslope.
Beyond the front of each tee pad and either side should be adequate room for follow-thru so a player
doesn't risk twisting an ankle, falling off a ledge or whacking their arm on a tree or sign. If possible,
provide adequate level ground for a run-up behind each tee pad, especially on longer holes. Avoid
major obstructions that severely block the flight path up to 20 feet in front of tee.
Length guidelines (post adjustment): http://www.pdga.com/files/ParGuidelines_1.pdf

These are well worth a read for all those people out there designing new courses around the country... Personally, I would like all Tour courses to be targeting the Blue tee standards as a minimum, and aspire to the Gold.
[Standard post disclaimer] My posts are never intended to undermine the work of the Board or individuals putting in effort to grow the sport, they are my honest thoughts on the best ways to grow the game

BDGA: 145
PDGA: 8824

BaggerBlakehill

Post by BaggerBlakehill » Wed Mar 19, 2014 5:24 pm

Thanks for the answer Bruce. You also reminded me of one other thing... Please can the tee sign on hole 1 be shortened as not long after Rich Wood pointed out that my hand was quite close to hitting the tee sign on the first round, I promptly went and smacked it the next time I came to hole 1 :(

BDGA# 1112
PDGA# 61657