Registering for tournaments in advance

Does what it says on the tin!
mat cutler

Registering for tournaments in advance

Post by mat cutler » Tue Dec 31, 2013 3:31 pm

******Rant warning ****** :D

So you may of noticed TD's get their invite and registration out around 3-6 months in advance of the event.

Why do we do this?

i) we start planning the next years event as soon as we end up chasing up the loose ends of the previous years' event. (late payments, stats etc)
ii) A successful event takes months of planning and organising
iii) We like to advertise our event widely and early to allow all competitors the time to arrange time off work/other commitments to attend the tournament/arrange travel and accommodation
iv) arrangements/deals with local hotels, hostels and B&Bs (if no on-site accommodation is available) need to be made well in advance
v) catering both for lunches and evening meal / bbq needs to be planned and player numbers are essential in making arrangements with caterers or your budget if doing the food yourselves.
vi) TD's often wish to compete in the event and would like to have everything sorted so they can actually relax and enjoy their own tournament.
vii) Budget - bdga tournaments are not operating at a huge financial gain for the host club/ course. Many TD's offer earlybird discounts or prepayment discounts, this is so they don't have to front event licence fees, pdga/bdga sanctioning, prizes, lunches, equipment hire (portaloos), players pack goodies (discs/tees) from their own pocket/club funds. At my tournaments I have needed about a 40 player attendance to break even - we do run tournaments for the love of the game, we don't run them to be out of pocket and do hours and hours of unpaid hard graft!

IN SHORT IF YOU WANT TO GO TO AN EVENT REGISTER AND PAY AS EARLY AS YOU CAN! THEN BADGER YOUR MATES TO REGISTER TOO!

Nick Blakehill in a separate thread wrote about promoting our sport to non-disc golfers and fans, he raised a couple of interesting points about promoting our events - something I have always tried to do as much as possible (bbc radio, local news coverage etc....) however it is difficult to have the time and energy to do this if you are still wondering if you have enough people even showing up to your event.

Come on people

mat cutler

Re: Registering for tournaments in advance

Post by mat cutler » Tue Dec 31, 2013 3:40 pm

Bristol registration is here

http://bristoldiscgolf.org.uk/bristol-o ... istration/

Quarry park

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/vie ... c6MA#gid=0

Dunbar

Not yet here but I'm sure seamus has something on the way asap

http://www.rebootdiscgolf.com/

Mull

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1662

seamus

Post by seamus » Tue Dec 31, 2013 6:56 pm

Yup, I learned some in October. Two weeks to go before Nationals there was 4 people signed up and paid, I was a little nervous to say the least. I moved here from an area where Int. Ams represented the largest division and made you quick with your credit card to register for an event or you were shutout.
I'm looking forward to the day that happens here.
Back to back, chicken shack.

ReBoot Disc Golf
www.rebootdiscgolf.com

rhatton1

Post by rhatton1 » Thu Jan 02, 2014 11:00 am

N1 Matt. Well said and it's important to get this message out.

I am afraid I won't be able to make it to Bristol as am away with work for the following two weekends so have to spend a bit of time with da family. I'm still hoping to persuade her for us to stay with her cousin in Bath but it is looking unlikely so will have to say no for the time being.

Seamus - with the sort of stuff you are doing to promote the sport that will happen here soon! Just wish you were based a little closer to the Midlands so I could get up there more often :(
www.discgolfuk.com
richard@discgolfuk.com
Home of the Midlands One Day Series
Talk to us about courses!

BaggerBlakehill

Post by BaggerBlakehill » Thu Jan 02, 2014 2:30 pm

Fair play Mat, I agree with (almost) all your comments and based on how stressful Robb, Russ and Martin found TD'ing the SMEGS 1-dayers, I can imagine TD'ing a full on, 2-day British Open event must be seriously tough. Regarding my other thread though, I'm sure there are things that are being done to help promote and advertise events and I'm really glad to hear of the types of things you do! As I've said in my latest reply on there, these are just the ramblings that fall out of my head and are not meant to cause offense.

Either way, getting back on topic….yes I also agree people should try to get registered and paid as early as they can and I sympathise with your situation. I know how worried Robb was when we were only about a week away from holding the first SMEGS event at Basingstoke and he only had a handful of players registered but in the end we actually had a really good turnout.

Have to say, I'm really looking forward to coming and playing Ashton Court again in just 22 days!!!

Right...I really must do some work today :D
Still suffering from early wood

BDGA# 1112
PDGA# 61657

rhatton1

Post by rhatton1 » Thu Jan 02, 2014 2:43 pm

Matt not sure if it will be any help but Dan the sports guy at your local BBC radio station - the ridiculously tall one, I think you met him when you did the DG interview there a few months back is the boyfriend of my wifes cousin, I'm pretty sure we can get him to mention the tournament if it's of any help (he does what Tiffany tells him to!) before the tournament - let me know. If i do get down there we will be staying at his house so I can give him a kick too.
www.discgolfuk.com
richard@discgolfuk.com
Home of the Midlands One Day Series
Talk to us about courses!