It clashed with another activity / rock concert etc
45%
Other reason (please specify in thread)
18%

Total votes: 11

Spider

St Andrews no-show poll / post mortem

Post by Spider » Mon Jun 19, 2006 8:57 pm

It takes an enormous amount of work to host a BDGA Tour event, whether 10 people or 50 turn up. Only one player (the DoC) travelled from England for St Andrews. Only four did so for the equivalent event at the same time last year (Ullapool's Highland Fling). Only six from south of the border got to The Caley Open last August :cry: .
Yet masses of folk made it up to Mull this year and last. :?
This is thread not intended to be a guilt trip, but simply to try to unearth the reasons, and to help TDs in Scotland plan whether or not to bother bidding for an event next year, and (if they do) to ascertain the best times of year for their events to suit players based in the South (as well as the North).
Thanks in advance for contributing.
Hammer time!
http://www.highlandpix.co.uk

BOF

Post by BOF » Mon Jun 19, 2006 10:05 pm

This debate has been around the block a few times. I seem to recall exchanging views with Jester a couple of years back over an Ullapool event that was forthcoming.
My opinion, for what it's worth, is that most people have a limited amount of TIME to devote to Disc Golf, particularly those with young families. In my case, I pencil in five tournaments as soon as the BDGA Calendar is made available. I do this in consultation with:
family, work commitments, holidays, birthdays/weddings etc...
As a teacher I also do not have the luxury of taking time off on Fridays/Mondays to allow for travel.
Therefore, my five tournaments need to meet the following criteria, to a greater or lesser degree:
a) reasonable driving distance (no decent airport links to rest of UK)
b) be attended by as many friends/peers as possible.
Unfortunately, this rules out most tournaments north of the Border, including Mull (can't take time off to travel, no airport links, no-one lives near me to share driving, everyone has already left by Thursday night!).
I make an occasional exception for Beaminster, since it sometimes happens in/around a half-term.
Furthermore, I imagine that some might only get one 'big trip' in a year, in which case I'd go for the 'big' tournament e.g. Mull, because it happens on a Bank Holiday, beautiful setting and lots of people make the effort traditionally.
Given that I've just had a weekend in Shrewsbury, there's no way I'd want to drive to Scotland just a fortnight later.
I may be being selfish, but for me Disc Golf is as much about meeting up with old friends as it is playing golf - and with limited time available for tournaments I choose those that I think will give me the greatest pleasure for the least inconvenience to others (i.e. family).
In fact, the only way I would have been able to make it to Ullapool in previous years would have been to leave school on Friday afternoon and drive there by myself, doing the return journey on the Sunday evening. Definitely NOT my idea of a FUN weekend away. (800 mile round trip, 9-10 hours driving each way!).
So, there they are. My reasons.

TheGroover

Post by TheGroover » Tue Jun 20, 2006 7:41 am

My reasons are similar to BOF's. I only have a finite amount of time to play golf.

I realise it seems hypocritical to say that when I managed to turn Mull into a five day trip: surely I could have split those days off into two trips to two tournaments and attended two Scottish tournaments. Being an ex-Edinburgh resident, I guess I could prioritise that.

Thing is, with an impending marriage, and no doubt babies, on the way, it's only going to become harder to get to tournies up north.

bruce

Post by bruce » Tue Jun 20, 2006 7:57 am

BOF wrote:My opinion, for what it's worth, is that most people have a limited amount of TIME to devote to Disc Golf
In general, I'd agree with this, though I'd also add 'Leave' and 'Money' to this list...

Myself, I'd decided early in the year that I'd make one from St Andrews and the Caley, based on Time, Leave and Money considerations, and when I got Foo Fighters tickets for last weekend, that decided it...

I think it's difficult for a new venue up North, as there are only a subset of southern players willing to travel, and when they do, it's more likely to be to a venue they know. It'll inevitably take a couple of events to gain a reputation. Ullapool, I'm afraid, suffered for entirely non-golf reasons, at least that's why I never returned... :(

Last year's Caley was a bit of a freak I feel, due to proximity to the Open. I think you'll find the Caley better attended this year; I know me, Pete and Shaz are going, and the Hayling crew were talking about flights way back at the start of the season.

Hopefully Trev will stick at it, and the event will grow over the next few years.

Of course, it's also worth mentioning that there are more than 13 disc golfers in Scotland, not to mention those just south of the border, so where were they?

Tim

Post by Tim » Tue Jun 20, 2006 8:36 am

For me the cost and effort of getting to Scottish events out weighs the pro's of attending, as much as i would like to, given that i had the free time and available cash.

As i am in Essex, the cost is equivalent to me attending any European event, which at the moment i choose over the travel to Scotland, if there were a few more Essex players willing to make the trip with me then i would probably consider it more as this would cut the costs.

That said i enjoy what few trips i make to the Euro events and if i am to add any extra DG wkends into the mix then, whilst european travel is still cheap as chips, that's where i'm headed, i still haven't played in Germany, France, Switzerland, Sweden etc etc

Tim
www.essexdiscgolf.co.uk

Gwyn

Post by Gwyn » Tue Jun 20, 2006 12:22 pm

Just bad timing for me. Made a decision early in the year to play Iceland (this weekend.) and have the Quarry Park Open the weekend after.

Even with a girlfriend and employer as understanding as I have, three weekends in a row would have proved very difficult to swing!

I'm with Bruce, I hope Trev sticks with it and I hope more southern players (myself included!) make it up for the event next year.
You cant squeeze cheese from a goat before it's hatched.

thetsdiscgolf

Northern tour events

Post by thetsdiscgolf » Tue Jun 20, 2006 6:47 pm

I'd have loved to make it along to St Andrews and I'm looking forward to playing all of the Scottish courses and Burnlaw asap. However, the tour calendar does not suit me this year. (For further info, please see my attendance record for 2006. One tour event with maybe 1 more before the end of the year.) So long as the timetable remains as it is, this is not going to change I'm afraid... and the location is irrelevent.
2nd point I want to make is that just because not enough people make the trip, doesn't mean it is not worth arranging events in the north... might I offer a suggestion? All northern events to be held on Bank Holiday weekends and everything else makes room for them? Then maybe more people will be able make the journey up north. I for one am willing to go!
Just a thought anyway.
Jon T

madfrolfer

Post by madfrolfer » Tue Jun 20, 2006 10:09 pm

I wouldn't have mided going,but I too had Hyde Park and the Foo Fighters calling me. Gold Cirlce Tickets at that, no way I could pass it up!!

I do think that the BDGA Events seem to plug up the calendar as much as possible. I would like to see less Tour events, and the ones that are put on the Tour held to a high standard and won only by bids. This way maybe more players could make the BDGA Tour Events for the year. The events that don't make the Tour could still be held focusing more on local (or regional) players. I am sure that you would still get some members who have time and money to travel. I know that there are certain events that a lot of people plan on every year. If we went to less tour events, and had them rotating yearly (i.e. Mull every two years instead of every year) then maybe this would make these bigger events even more special, and allow newer venues to be better attended because they don't have to compete with the established ones. I hope I got my point across clearly. :?
Frolf it up!!!!
http://www.Discology.co.uk
http://www.TwistedFlyer.com
http://www.ESSEXDISCGOLF.CO.UK

madfrolfer

Post by madfrolfer » Wed Jun 21, 2006 6:13 am

Just to be clear... By "higher standard" I mean to the standard we are actively encouraging at the moment. Higher than an event not on the BDGA National Tour. I am not talking about cash payouts and all that. Will possibly start a new thread to discuss this. :)
Frolf it up!!!!
http://www.Discology.co.uk
http://www.TwistedFlyer.com
http://www.ESSEXDISCGOLF.CO.UK