October 20-21st, 2012 BDGA Nationals@Essex "Headlong Flight"

Does what it says on the tin!
Mr.Scary

October 20-21st, 2012 BDGA Nationals@Essex "Headlong Flight"

Post by Mr.Scary » Mon Aug 13, 2012 7:41 pm

Hello BDGA!!!

Essex Disc Golf Club are proud to host the 2012 BDGA Nationals and NTN(Not the Nationals) the weekend of 20-21 October 2012 at the University of Essex's 27 hole disc golf course in Colchester.

PLAYERS LIST HERE

Format for NTN will be posted here later this week when I have more time but I wanted to get this out there so Players had enough time to try and plan to get down to Essex.
We're hoping to get 16 players for NTN as we will try to do two PDGA rated rounds on Saturday for seeding on Sunday's NTN Bracket Play.

After I figure out costs I'll post up entry fees, etc.

Headlong Flight (2012 BDGA Nationals Theme)
Music by Lee and Lifeson
Lyrics by Peart and Kornmuller

"All the journeys of this great adventure
It didn't always feel that way
I wouldn't trade them because I made them
The best I could, and that's enough to say

some putts were low
I wish that I could putt them all again
some putts were high
I wish that I could live it all again

All the highlights of that headlong flight
Throwing my Boss with all my might
To what I felt back then

I've birdied Avon Calling with a Cyclone
Steered my Valkyrie straight down Hypotenuse
I learned to drive, I learned to approach, I learned to putt
Oh I wish that I could live it all again

All the Ratings Updates, The Trophies and Glory
It didn't always feel that way
I don't regret it - I'll never forget it
I wouldn't trade tomorrow for today

some drives went left
I wish that I could throw them all again
Some drives went right

I have birdied Over The Road at Colchester
Birdied Squeaky Bum Causeway at Croydon's Lloyd Park
I learned a forehand, I learned a Hammer, I learned to scramble for Par

(Instrumedley)

All the highlights of that headlong flight
Throwing my Nuke with all my might
Some drives got wet
I wish that I could throw them all again
Some drives went O.B.

I've birdied Bristol's Island Hole #10
Battled the winds and won on the Scottish Isle of Mull ... (Pickett!!)
I learned to fight for Par, I learned to love, I learned to feel

(insert your favourite Chorus here or make up your own!!!)

Oh I wish that I could live it all again..."

Warning: before you click on this video be advised that this is a 7+ minute Prog Rock song, lots of "exercises in self indulgence" here by these three musicians. If that's not your taste please just try to enjoy my Weird Al Yankovic style lyrics, thanks.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZcFGrWjOX0E

See you at QP!!!

Good luck to everyone at Euros, Com'on England!

:D
Last edited by Mr.Scary on Tue Oct 09, 2012 6:14 pm, edited 3 times in total.
"By far, the most important part of any shot is what is happening in the last split second as the disc is pulling itself from your grip. Focus there. It's the key."

"Don't let what you cannot do interfere with what you can do."

West

Re: October 20-21st, 2012 BDGA Nationals @Essex

Post by West » Tue Aug 14, 2012 12:18 pm

Bracket Play?
"West"
PDGA: #8823
BDGA: #250
Twitter: @WestDiscGolf
BDGA DoC 2007 - 2011

Mr.Scary

Re: October 20-21st, 2012 BDGA Nationals @Essex

Post by Mr.Scary » Tue Aug 14, 2012 1:02 pm

West wrote:Bracket Play?
Bracket Play is what Americans call Match Play/Tournaments etc.
If we can get 16 players for NTN, then Brackets for a 16 player Match Play like Thee Nationals will take place Sunday, 9 holes each match.

I've found a cool DX Roc I bought from Jester with a cool stamp on it, that will be up for grabs. I will also be giving a away a Roc T-Shirt. I still have the Innova Dry-Fit Polo so I may include that since I just can't seem to wear it. :D
"By far, the most important part of any shot is what is happening in the last split second as the disc is pulling itself from your grip. Focus there. It's the key."

Paul Holden

Re: October 20-21st, 2012 BDGA Nationals@Essex "Headlong Fli

Post by Paul Holden » Fri Aug 17, 2012 12:07 am

West, stop nitpicking, he (miss)quoted Rush, all is good!!!
Paul Holden
BDGA No. 307
PDGA No. 34662

West

Post by West » Fri Aug 17, 2012 7:21 am

Paul Holden wrote:West, stop nitpicking, he (miss)quoted Rush, all is good!!!
And Rush is? :twisted:
"West"
PDGA: #8823
BDGA: #250
Twitter: @WestDiscGolf
BDGA DoC 2007 - 2011

Mr.Scary

Post by Mr.Scary » Sun Aug 19, 2012 6:39 am

West wrote:
Paul Holden wrote:West, stop nitpicking, he (miss)quoted Rush, all is good!!!
And Rush is? :twisted:

not that fat f$%k hypocrite on the radio, that's for sure.

:mrgreen:

Mr.Scary

Post by Mr.Scary » Sun Aug 19, 2012 6:42 am

so i'm sitting there at qp yesterday in between mulligans getting ready for the qp open on 15-16 september wondering that if we offered 4 pdga rated rounds to the am's that aren't in the Nationals... would that make more Ams come out...???

we could play two on saturday, straight up in our divisions for some prizes and then sunday have two rounds off our handicaps from our saturday scores...???

thoughts?

Mr.Scary

Post by Mr.Scary » Sun Aug 19, 2012 6:49 am

the only weekend i can run Nationlas is the 20-21 of october, hopefully that works out for players as QP is 15/16 sept, then 2 weeks later is the Equinox 29-30 sept, then 3 weeks later is Nationals.

i really wanna try and get 40 players out there so we can have a huge awards banquet and just a really nice send off before the Hyzer Cup ensues over the winter and maybe we can get some essex/bristol banter going for a winter event to meet up halfway with maybe two carloads each for match play at croydon and/or qp...???

just like an 8 on 8 or the like with maybe a couple of 'guest stars' from either hosting course...???

essex gets first pick!!! 8)

andrewdouse

Post by andrewdouse » Sun Aug 19, 2012 7:03 am

Being new to all this this year, I haven't got a clue what the nationals involve, and nothing on this thread has enlightened me.
Please explain!
BDGA# 373 PDGA# 51346

Mr.Scary

Post by Mr.Scary » Sun Aug 19, 2012 8:33 am

andrewdouse wrote:Being new to all this this year, I haven't got a clue what the nationals involve, and nothing on this thread has enlightened me.
Please explain!

My apologies. :D

The BDGA holds the Nationals at the end of every Tour Year usually sometime before the clocks get turned to save daylight for the event.
What is it?
Well the Top 15 Pro's and the Advanced Am winner are invited to play 4 Rounds of Match Play to determine a Nationals Champion thru match play instead of scores.

There is an Awards ceremony/dinner thingy on Saturday night where we meet up for a cheap dinner of 2 or 3 courses and just hang out and recognise people and players for their accomplishments, etc which I have some ideas on to help out Bruce.

The one thing Nationals has as well is the "Not The Nationals" aspect where players still want to come and be a part of it and go to the dinner etc... but the format needs to be decided on as it varies from year to year and site to site since you never know whether 20 NTN players will show up or 10.

That's what I'm trying to get ideas on here. :idea:

I need to figure out how much lunch will cost and for each day as some NTN Players will only show up Saturday OR Sunday, plus the room(s) at the Uni's Sports Center. and then a separate sum for dinner Saturday night.

:whew:

So Nationals, well, I'll go bump last year's thread so I can review it and try and take ideas from it too!

The above posts are me trying to figure out how the NTN will work this year 20-21 October at Essex and I'd love any feedback...

...so Andrew, what can I do to make you want to come to Nationals(and Not The Nationals)???

:D

andrewdouse

Post by andrewdouse » Mon Aug 20, 2012 6:58 pm

Easier Travel (by getting or giving other QP players lifts), and warm accommodation....

I'll have a look through all those threads at the weekend (I'll be trapped at mother-in-laws, so it'll be something to do!)
but just getting to play is enough to tempt me. Whether I can make it or not is down to what else is happening family wise.
BDGA# 373 PDGA# 51346

Mr.Scary

Post by Mr.Scary » Thu Aug 23, 2012 11:08 am

andrewdouse wrote:Easier Travel (by getting or giving other QP players lifts), and warm accommodation....

I'll have a look through all those threads at the weekend (I'll be trapped at mother-in-laws, so it'll be something to do!)
but just getting to play is enough to tempt me. Whether I can make it or not is down to what else is happening family wise.

Yes, I've gotta admit getting to Colchester isn't nearly as easy as it is to get to say Croydon.

As for accommodation I'd love to put you up but I live in Norfolk( if I lived 30m West I would be going to QP regularly ).
Any info that I come across for myself will be relayed here, there are a couple of cheap B&B's down in Wilvenhoe and then the usual B&B's in Colchester but I'll get those links up in a bit.

Colchester is a really nice hike, maybe you can talk your M-I-L into coming out to watch you play so she can describe it for their friends...??? :D

4 weeks to QP!!!

ultiali

Post by ultiali » Thu Aug 30, 2012 8:16 am

Is it worth Bruce/Phil setting out the full qualification criteria for Nationals before we get the inevitable confusion about who is eligible

bruce

Post by bruce » Thu Aug 30, 2012 8:39 am

Top 15 Open, Plus Tweedy (Am Champ)

Drop outs filled by rating. There is a ratings update on 16th Oct, right before the Nats that should include all BDGA events from 2012, and therefore will be the deciding value on who makes it in or not.
[Standard post disclaimer] My posts are never intended to undermine the work of the Board or individuals putting in effort to grow the sport, they are my honest thoughts on the best ways to grow the game

BDGA: 145
PDGA: 8824

Paul Holden

Post by Paul Holden » Thu Aug 30, 2012 9:04 am

bruce wrote:Top 15 Open, Plus Tweedy (Am Champ)

Drop outs filled by rating. There is a ratings update on 16th Oct, right before the Nats that should include all BDGA events from 2012, and therefore will be the deciding value on who makes it in or not.
Not to make your life difficult but...

Isn't that a bit late to expect people to make plans for attending?

I'm probably appear a bit biased here as I expect my rating to drop significantly based on a number of poor rounds at Essex this year. I'm not trying to blag my way into the competition, I will actually decline an invite if I get one based on the current ratings and there are a number of other people on close ratings. I am thinking more about trying to make it as helpful as possible for those who might want to attend. It is hard enough managing drop outs but not knowing if you qualify until 4 days before seems to make life unnecessarily difficult for everyone, not least the TD who has to organise NTN.

:twisted: << really not!
Paul Holden
BDGA No. 307
PDGA No. 34662

Mark.A.D

Post by Mark.A.D » Thu Aug 30, 2012 9:27 am

due to travel difficulties, i am also ruling myself out.
Hyzer Cup Champions 09/10, 10/11, 11/12, 12/13
BDGA #357
PDGA #45315

Paul Holden

Post by Paul Holden » Thu Aug 30, 2012 9:42 am

Paul Holden wrote:, I will actually decline an invite if I get one based on the current ratings and there are a number of other people on close ratings.
To be clear...
I will actually decline an invite if I get one based on the current ratings as there are a number of other people on close ratings.

I am hoping to attend NTN.
Paul Holden
BDGA No. 307
PDGA No. 34662

bruce

Post by bruce » Thu Aug 30, 2012 9:53 am

In my experience no one declines to play on the basis of whether or not they qualify for the T16. It's very usual to promote people right up to the day itself. The entry fee and course are the same regardless of what section you are in
[Standard post disclaimer] My posts are never intended to undermine the work of the Board or individuals putting in effort to grow the sport, they are my honest thoughts on the best ways to grow the game

Paul Holden

Post by Paul Holden » Thu Aug 30, 2012 10:08 am

Fair enough. Oct ratings it is then.

Mostly annoyed as I'm sure I will drop below 900 and I really wanted to play some Euro tour next year but below 900 it's almost impossible to get an entry :(
Paul Holden
BDGA No. 307
PDGA No. 34662

bruce

Post by bruce » Thu Aug 30, 2012 10:16 am

Play better :P

Dropping to NTT16 will at least allow you to get some rated rounds in before end year and try to drag your rating back up!