Re: 18th Quarry Park Open

Post by LostMeow » Fri Sep 14, 2012 7:42 pm

I can bring a spare Squall.
Tom
ND

bruce

Post by bruce » Sat Sep 15, 2012 5:54 pm

[Standard post disclaimer] My posts are never intended to undermine the work of the Board or individuals putting in effort to grow the sport, they are my honest thoughts on the best ways to grow the game

BDGA: 145
PDGA: 8824

bruce

Post by bruce » Sun Sep 16, 2012 3:46 pm

Full scores online, Powerstats tomorrow
[Standard post disclaimer] My posts are never intended to undermine the work of the Board or individuals putting in effort to grow the sport, they are my honest thoughts on the best ways to grow the game

TheGroover

Post by TheGroover » Sun Sep 16, 2012 7:37 pm

Great work on FAST scores uploading, bruce. And congrats on winning the tourny!

I took timings of everyone's shots in the finals. You can see the analysis here (click to go to the interactive version):

What are my conclusions having done this analysis.

- 30 seconds is a long time
- except when people are obstructed or in the rough
- the violations came when people had challenging throws to make.
- generally, they didn't feel like too long at all. it's only because i had a clock on it that i would have even noticed a violation.
- Chris took a long time on one shot (67 seconds).

given all this info, what does one do about calling violations? Well, that's up to individuals.
----------------
Keep up to date with Oxford's summer league...
Oxdisc blog: http://oxdisc.blogspot.com

ChrisOBrien

Post by ChrisOBrien » Sun Sep 16, 2012 8:26 pm

The 67 seconds was due in part to interference from another player after the marker was placed.

Thanks for taking the stats Andy.

Was a great weekend. The boys had a great time. Thanks to all involved in making it happen. The course was the best its ever been.
BDGA # 305
PDGA # 34659
Missing trees by 1mm, finding impossible gaps by mistake, these are some of my favourite things

Mark.A.D

Post by Mark.A.D » Sun Sep 16, 2012 8:54 pm

TheGroover wrote:Great work on FAST scores uploading, bruce. And congrats on winning the tourny!
...Awkward
Hyzer Cup Champions 09/10, 10/11, 11/12, 12/13
BDGA #357
PDGA #45315

rhatton1

Post by rhatton1 » Mon Sep 17, 2012 6:36 am

Love this Andy, nice work. Might hopefully stop some of the repeated complaints about this.
www.discgolfuk.com
richard@discgolfuk.com
Home of the Midlands One Day Series
Talk to us about courses!

bruce

Post by bruce » Mon Sep 17, 2012 11:09 am

And Powerstats updated

Mark.A.D

Post by Mark.A.D » Mon Sep 17, 2012 11:18 am

WOOHOO, its a qp 1,2 in amstats!!!
Hyzer Cup Champions 09/10, 10/11, 11/12, 12/13
BDGA #357
PDGA #45315

rhatton1

Post by rhatton1 » Mon Sep 17, 2012 11:36 am

4 QP in the top 6 ams :D
www.discgolfuk.com
richard@discgolfuk.com

rhatton1

Post by rhatton1 » Mon Sep 17, 2012 11:49 am

Wow, Burnlaw should be good.

If derek wins I think his 393 would probably take the title.

If Dan wins his 392 should take the title

If Jester wins his 400 deinitely will.

However if enough people turn up in the Open division and Jester comes second or even 3rd he could win it anyway, it would need I think at least 16 people in the Open division for 2nd place to win it overall for Jester.

If none of the above win and the turn out is low then it looks almost a dead cert for Jester.

Might be time to either pay some ams to move up mate :D or alternatively pay for a couple of foreigners to come over and bag 1st and 2nd, I can think of one Finn who's fond of the UK and whose sidearm and overarm would be well suited to Burnlaw and one American based over in NI..... :wink:
www.discgolfuk.com
richard@discgolfuk.com

TheGroover

Hole by hole analytics

Post by TheGroover » Mon Sep 17, 2012 12:10 pm

Thanks to Bruce for the data. I've done the score analysis for QP Open. The data does not include the final rounds - that's a little more work than i have time for right now... Otherwise, interact and enjoy (click to go to the interactive version)

----------------
Keep up to date with Oxford's summer league...
Oxdisc blog: http://oxdisc.blogspot.com

Neil M

Post by Neil M » Mon Sep 17, 2012 1:21 pm

Nice statting!
Interesting stuff my Golden round was 62 my brown round was 81. So I can play most holes fairly well just not in the same round!

Thanks to everyone involved in organising the tourny and to everyone I played with. A great time as usual
BDGA: 362
PDGA: 46974

bruce

Post by bruce » Mon Sep 17, 2012 1:51 pm

Awesome as always Andy :)

A Couple of things I noted:
- Holes 9, 10 & 11 have very similar scoring profiles, and maybe should all be considered par 4. Certainly a case for 9 & 10, as 9 pans out slightly harder overall but is currently the par 3!

- Hole 6 is a bit too easy to par for the Open division, which lends weight to the suggestion I made of reinstating the OB line from the bridge to the old OB pen right of the basket.
With apologies for defacing Andrews excellent map artwork from the British Open, hence missing DZ:

Hartshorne-Robins ratio: = [(brown round – golden round)*3/ average round score]
Derek: (66-46)*3/55.66 = 1.08
Dunc: (81-51)*3/66.3333 = 1.36
Me: (64-47)*3/55.33 = 0.92
Jester: (68-51)*3/58.66 = 0.87

I think there's something wrong with your formula Derek :)

rhatton1

Post by rhatton1 » Mon Sep 17, 2012 2:32 pm

Cruel and unusual punishment Bruce but probably a good idea, Doesn't stop the hyzer route, but would make you think long and hard about it. It would be nice to have the OB line slightly back from the trees though, as it would really discourage anyone from going at the hole if any hit on the trees ended up you dropping OB, it would end up with everyone laying up just in case, Think it would be fairer if the OB went from the bridge to about the third or fourth pole along the old OB, rather than the corner.
www.discgolfuk.com
richard@discgolfuk.com

bruce

Post by bruce » Mon Sep 17, 2012 3:10 pm

Maybe, although I think it's a fair landing zone for Open only (wouldn't put it in play for Ams). Would also consider it being an inbounds island, so no laying up before the stream. Was discussing the fence with Derek, we're thinking of removing the near fence and leaving the basket side one, so you can punch into the woods but there's no easy roller out. Maybe leave the far right fence post and take the OB line to there and straight back into the woods.

Orange line for IB island:

rhatton1

Post by rhatton1 » Mon Sep 17, 2012 3:22 pm

Yeah do the orange!

Please don't play one course Open and one course others though, it messes with the ratings, When there were the two different tees at Croydon I shot a round a couple of shots better than a number of open players yet got the same rating, and there was no way that a 20 meter longer tee amounted to that difference, it's just the Open division happened to be cream pie crust that day, the ams lost out in the ratings.
www.discgolfuk.com
richard@discgolfuk.com

bruce

Post by bruce » Mon Sep 17, 2012 3:41 pm

I presume you're talking about this one. There was an 11-12 point difference, which is perfectly fair. You'll have to suck that one up mate, Am layouts are definitely going to happen again. Funnily enough, the Am rating will be more accurate, as it's a greater sample size.

No way we could ask the Ints to drive the stream on 6, and you can't separate out the Ints as not enough propagators.

ChrisOBrien

Post by ChrisOBrien » Tue Sep 18, 2012 5:38 am

bruce wrote: No way we could ask the Ints to drive the stream on 6, and you can't separate out the Ints as not enough propagators.
I don't know what other ideas you have around the course Bruce but for hole 6 if it remains in bounds before the stream, then the shorter throwers have a lay up option without affecting the shot decision for the Open.
BDGA # 305
PDGA # 34659
Missing trees by 1mm, finding impossible gaps by mistake, these are some of my favourite things

bruce

Post by bruce » Tue Sep 18, 2012 7:22 am

ChrisOBrien wrote:
bruce wrote: No way we could ask the Ints to drive the stream on 6, and you can't separate out the Ints as not enough propagators.
I don't know what other ideas you have around the course Bruce but for hole 6 if it remains in bounds before the stream, then the shorter throwers have a lay up option without affecting the shot decision for the Open.
I guess so, maybe the IB island could be for EuroTour only. I was actually thinking of other courses like the extended tee at Croydon.