BDGA TOUR event in NI

Does what it says on the tin!
bruce

Re: BDGA TOUR event in NI

Post by bruce » Tue Mar 13, 2012 10:44 am

Hi Gary

Thanks for signing up, and welcome. Your map link doesn't work for me, think you might need to look at the sharing
[Standard post disclaimer] My posts are never intended to undermine the work of the Board or individuals putting in effort to grow the sport, they are my honest thoughts on the best ways to grow the game

BDGA: 145
PDGA: 8824

mat cutler

Post by mat cutler » Tue Mar 13, 2012 2:58 pm

Sorry for the radio silence, plans are being squirreled away on as we speak and hope to have a bid to host the event into the BDGA board and invite out by the weekend.

Travel and accommodation etc and be booked up once this information is out.

I am going to be visiting rostrevor between burnlaw and mull and will be able to put out a full course map, in depth pictures etc and a course report out then.

This is going to be great!

Gary is working at setting up a meeting with the parks people to coincide with my visit to float a potential permanent course installation post event.

Matt

well up for the craic!

Scuttler

Post by Scuttler » Wed Mar 14, 2012 12:54 pm

ChrisOBrien wrote:The British Disc Golf Association doing a tour event outside of Britain? Northern Ireland is in the United Kingdom, but outside Britain. Does this matter?
I don't think it matters, in terms of supporting what Gary and Mat are trying to do here, but I think that you're right that it maybe needs some thought.

Similar situation (more than?) a few years back as Ultimate was getting bigger, and the British Ultimate Federation reorganised and rebranded as the UK Ultimate Association.

mat cutler

Post by mat cutler » Wed Mar 14, 2012 11:46 pm

Scuttler wrote:
ChrisOBrien wrote:The British Disc Golf Association doing a tour event outside of Britain? Northern Ireland is in the United Kingdom, but outside Britain. Does this matter?
I don't think it matters, in terms of supporting what Gary and Mat are trying to do here, but I think that you're right that it maybe needs some thought.

Similar situation (more than?) a few years back as Ultimate was getting bigger, and the British Ultimate Federation reorganised and rebranded as the UK Ultimate Association.
from wikipedia:

The word British is an adjective referring in various ways to the United Kingdom or the island of Great Britain and its people and language.

People

British people, Britons, or Brits, subjects of the United Kingdom, of the Isle of Man, one of the Channel Islands, or of one of the British overseas territories, and their descendants

therefore the british disc golf association is an association of british players, this surely includes people from NI?

rhatton1

Post by rhatton1 » Thu Mar 15, 2012 9:02 am

Does it matter, really?

When we have a few thousand touring members on the mainland and 500+ in NI lets revisit and debate the semantics, till then congrats Matt and Gary looks like it should be an awesome addition.

Really hope I can make it.
www.discgolfuk.com
richard@discgolfuk.com
Home of the Midlands One Day Series
Talk to us about courses!

Scuttler

Post by Scuttler » Thu Mar 15, 2012 12:13 pm

rhatton1 wrote:When we have a few thousand touring members on the mainland and 500+ in NI lets revisit and debate the semantics, till then congrats Matt and Gary looks like it should be an awesome addition.
Pretty sure that's what I said (or at least what I meant) above.

Mark.A.D

Post by Mark.A.D » Thu Mar 15, 2012 2:12 pm

Going by the way this conversation is going we are looking at a rebrand, BDGA or UKDGA
Hyzer Cup Champions 09/10, 10/11, 11/12, 12/13
BDGA #357
PDGA #45315

bruce

Post by bruce » Thu Mar 15, 2012 3:17 pm

I'm reluctant to get into a sideline discussion on this as I'd prefer to focus on the event, but there is a semantic different between 'Great Britain' and 'British', where the latter is commonly, and for legislative purposes, used to describe members of the United Kingdom, including NI.

So if we were the GBDGA then there might arguably be a point, but we're not.

FWIW I believe the Ultimate re-branding was actually to do with the change from a federation to an association for various funding and constitutional reasons. Obviously they changed the other part at the same time, but that could simply be because UKUA trips off the tongue better.

Back to the event, course and venue chatter please!
[Standard post disclaimer] My posts are never intended to undermine the work of the Board or individuals putting in effort to grow the sport, they are my honest thoughts on the best ways to grow the game

Mr.Scary

Post by Mr.Scary » Thu Mar 15, 2012 3:43 pm

What's the longest hole on this course?
How many Par 4's are there?

Any Par 5s...???

Gotta let the BDGA show off their plastic cannons!!! :D
"By far, the most important part of any shot is what is happening in the last split second as the disc is pulling itself from your grip. Focus there. It's the key."

"Don't let what you cannot do interfere with what you can do."

GASPgary

Post by GASPgary » Thu Mar 22, 2012 10:56 am

Does anyone wish to use the hostel accommodation? Would save you carrying camping gear over, just need sleeping bag, pillowcase and towel. I need to put deposit down to secure the booking if sufficient numbers want to use it. It's £12 per person per night, minimum £150 per night, so need at least 13 people to use it. Otherwise it's £13 per tent pitch per night at the campsite.

gommog

Post by gommog » Thu Mar 22, 2012 1:33 pm

Looks like car hire is a better option than taxi from airport and you get to keep it for the duration. Flights look around £100 with flybe from Birmingham leaving Fri morning returning Sunday evening, we might even get a group booking cheaper. Looks like we need to get our heads together at Burnlaw/Mull.
QP Hyzer Cup Champions 2010/2011
Eurasian and African kan jam champion 2014
Spanish Am Champion 2015

BDGA no.360
PDGA no. 46975

Del

Post by Del » Thu Mar 22, 2012 1:55 pm

Can't now find the website for the tournie, there was one wasn't there?

Anyway, I think the hostel has to be a better option than camping.

Derek Robins
Derek Robins
Quarry Park Disc Golf

Paul Holden

Post by Paul Holden » Thu Mar 22, 2012 2:12 pm

Seriously looking at this as Louise's sister lives in NI so would go down well. Right in the middle of Ultimate season though :( Will join the discussion at Burnlaw.
Paul Holden
BDGA No. 307
PDGA No. 34662

GASPgary

Post by GASPgary » Thu Mar 22, 2012 5:54 pm

Information on tournament on our facebook page, http://www.facebook.com/pages/GASP-grav ... 0512948424

bruce

Post by bruce » Thu Mar 22, 2012 6:48 pm

I would certainly do hostel or B&B in pref to camping, so I'd say reserving it would be worthwhile. I understand Matt and others are heading over post-Burnlaw, the quicker the invite comes out after that the better, to get people committing afte early enthusiasm :)

mat cutler

Post by mat cutler » Tue Mar 27, 2012 3:44 pm

try this map link of the course.

will be updated with any tweaks I make after visiting next week

http://g.co/maps/spvzn

mat cutler

Post by mat cutler » Thu Apr 05, 2012 11:25 am

wow what a beautiful park, got a really good course layout, google map in progress

http://g.co/maps/c8vbc

will add photos etc soon, laptop battery dying...............

mat cutler

Post by mat cutler » Fri Apr 06, 2012 6:50 am

MampiSwift

Post by MampiSwift » Sat Apr 07, 2012 8:58 am

Just checked out the flights for this and they are dirt cheap!! I may well be up for this!
Quarry Park member.
BDGA number :354
PDGA number :45313
Hyzer cup 2009/10 champions
Hyzer cup 2010/11 champions
Hyzer cup 2011/12 champions
Hyzer cup 2012/2013 champions

dunc

Post by dunc » Mon Apr 09, 2012 5:58 pm

I'm in..... 15 mins from Liverpool airport and £45 return flights. Anyone wanting to share car hire from Belfast give me a shout
The Treasurerrer..... hic!

PDGA #8822
BDGA #154