BDGA TOUR event in NI

Does what it says on the tin!
mat cutler

BDGA TOUR event in NI

Post by mat cutler » Tue Mar 06, 2012 12:50 pm

Hi everyone,

I mentioned it to a few people in croydon but after noticing the gap in the schedule for june, I was also invited to a 1 day event in Northern Ireland on the 23rd of June.

I have been working with Gary Parr who runs GASP, which has 9 hole course http://www.gaspactionsports.com after last year's inaugral Kingdom of Mourne disc golf tournament he is keen to have a more challenging course. the course at gasp is a fairly simple 9 hole pitch and putt.
This year's event is scheduled to take place at kilbroney park, rostrevor. From what I can see it is quite a stunning place, has a campsite, and hopefully as a legacy of from the event northern Ireland's first 18 hole Disc Golf course. http://www.newryandmourne.gov.uk/leisur ... roney.aspx

I have suggested to gary, which he is very keen to do, to make this a BDGA tour event extending it to a 2 day event. He is looking into cheap accomodation deals with local guesthouses and looking at a group booking for the campsite.

He has already been in discussion with John Duesler at Disc Golf Planet TV and has aranged to air coverage from the event. He is also in discussion with a local charity about running the event as a fundraiser too.

Last year they had around 50 players, mostly ultimate players from belfast and locals. Who would be interested in making the trip? Gary and I don't want to go to all the effort of making this BDGA tour event if only a handful of players attended.

In terms of travel it is around 1hr south of belfast and it maybe possible to arrange a minibus/bus for transfer to and from belfast airport. Ryanair, aerlingus, bmi, easyjet etc all fly to belfast. There are numerous ferries to belfast or dublin and a fairly easy drive from either.

In short I need a expression of interest from at least 15 BDGA players by the end of this week to make this a feasible event.

please add your name as a reply to this thread if you are keen

Jester

Re: BDGA TOUR event in NI

Post by Jester » Tue Mar 06, 2012 2:25 pm

Nice one, Matt. This sounds like it's got great potential. Good ideas, good if TV are really involved, and good to get fund raising involved too.

Just a sanity check - is it wise for a new, unproven course to just decide it wants to run a Tour event without having first established itself as a known venue that will attract Touring players? Many years ago we were just happy to have events anywhere that would hold them, the result being wide variation in quality and facilities. Nowadays the player base is far more discerning about what constitutes the appropriate level of planning, organisation and execution at a National Tour event.

IMHO the process should be that a venue state it's credentials for running an event at the level of National Tour to the Director of Competitions. If it meets the required standard and is granted a slot in the calendar to host an event, it can promote the heck out of itself, rather than asking for players to commit to a unknown quantity…?
Jester
BDGA #128
PDGA #8817
------------------------------------------------------
Croydon DGC: Hyzer Cup Champions 08/09, 13/14

bruce

Post by bruce » Tue Mar 06, 2012 3:11 pm

What Matt has missed off his post is that he has volunteered to take the responsibility of going over there, doing the course design and TDing the event. Obviously Matt understands the Tour standards as regards course (latest Brizzle course is excellent) and TDing (having missed the mark once or twice :wink: )

Jester has a point, but I think the opportunity to expand into a completely new frontier like this is one that we should be taking, and I'm not sure how you prove a venue that far off the currently beaten track without taking a punt
[Standard post disclaimer] My posts are never intended to undermine the work of the Board or individuals putting in effort to grow the sport, they are my honest thoughts on the best ways to grow the game

BDGA: 145
PDGA: 8824

Jester

Post by Jester » Tue Mar 06, 2012 3:19 pm

Ok, consider my interest expressed. :)
Jester
BDGA #128
PDGA #8817
------------------------------------------------------
Croydon DGC: Hyzer Cup Champions 08/09, 13/14

mat cutler

Post by mat cutler » Tue Mar 06, 2012 3:38 pm

Jester wrote:Nice one, Matt. This sounds like it's got great potential. Good ideas, good if TV are really involved, and good to get fund raising involved too.

Just a sanity check - is it wise for a new, unproven course to just decide it wants to run a Tour event without having first established itself as a known venue that will attract Touring players? Many years ago we were just happy to have events anywhere that would hold them, the result being wide variation in quality and facilities. Nowadays the player base is far more discerning about what constitutes the appropriate level of planning, organisation and execution at a National Tour event.

IMHO the process should be that a venue state it's credentials for running an event at the level of National Tour to the Director of Competitions. If it meets the required standard and is granted a slot in the calendar to host an event, it can promote the heck out of itself, rather than asking for players to commit to a unknown quantity…?

Fair points jester but as bruce filled in for me if there is a desire for players to go I'll being going over in advance to help gary with the design. Gary is hoping to make it over to burnlaw so he will get to see first hand everything involved.

I am not asking for commitment just EOI. Once it looks like a runner, we'll go back to the stage of bidding to the DOC etc.

mat cutler

Post by mat cutler » Tue Mar 06, 2012 3:47 pm

too wet the appetite a few photos of the park....

mat cutler

Post by mat cutler » Tue Mar 06, 2012 3:52 pm

tournament poster as it stands for 1 day event - which i'm going to anyhow! just if enough people are keen hope to upgrade to a 2 day BDGA tour event.

bruce

Post by bruce » Tue Mar 06, 2012 3:54 pm

mat cutler wrote:Gary is hoping to make it over to burnlaw so he will get to see first hand everything involved.

I am not asking for commitment just EOI. Once it looks like a runner, we'll go back to the stage of bidding to the DOC etc.
Consider my interest expressed also. Great that he's trying to get over to Burnlaw, that would be a real plus for him :)

[edit] Looks rubbish, maybe I can't be bothered ;)
[Standard post disclaimer] My posts are never intended to undermine the work of the Board or individuals putting in effort to grow the sport, they are my honest thoughts on the best ways to grow the game

mat cutler

Post by mat cutler » Tue Mar 06, 2012 3:59 pm

EOI so far:

matt cutler
derek robins
phil wood
bruce
neal pickett
jester wilson

open division sorted then?

bruce

Post by bruce » Tue Mar 06, 2012 4:02 pm

Must be able to get a Shropshire crew together shirley! Just a quick hop on the ferry for them!

Hopper

Post by Hopper » Wed Mar 07, 2012 9:04 am

Looks absolutely beautiful surroundings, myself and Soph would be interested. Just to give some idea the cheapest we can get at moment flying out late Friday back late Sunday from stansted (Easayjet) is £125 all in both ways for the two of us. However to get these fares we would have to book quickly. Car ferry out of question as expensive and not able to get there in time ! Teachers !!!!!!

Mark.A.D

Post by Mark.A.D » Wed Mar 07, 2012 12:12 pm

given the time of the event, i would be back in leamington, consider my intrest expressed
Hyzer Cup Champions 09/10, 10/11, 11/12, 12/13
BDGA #357
PDGA #45315

gommog

Post by gommog » Thu Mar 08, 2012 8:12 pm

WOW, count me in
QP Hyzer Cup Champions 2010/2011
Eurasian and African kan jam champion 2014
Spanish Am Champion 2015

BDGA no.360
PDGA no. 46975

mat cutler

Post by mat cutler » Fri Mar 09, 2012 9:43 am

so far from the UK...

matt cutler
derek robins
phil wood
bruce
neal pickett
jester wilson
chris rowland
sophie southgate
mark davis
gary o'malley
giles armour
ed higbee
james higbee
mark fleetham

looks like this has legs....

I have also had a kind offer from belfast ultimate team guys to put up late night friday arrivals in belfast and help with lifts down to rostrevor.

Ok, I'm now going to sort out all the details with gary parr, expect an invite out middle to end of next week.

thanks
Matt

Village

Post by Village » Mon Mar 12, 2012 1:49 pm

mat cutler wrote:so far from the UK...
Isn't Northern Ireland in the UK? I'm fairly sure it is...

I can't make it to this event as I'll be in the US, but otherwise I'd've been all over this like a tramp on chips!
The worst thing about having a failing memory is.....no, its gone...

Running with scissors since 1977

BDGA 173 PDGA 8831

mat cutler

Post by mat cutler » Mon Mar 12, 2012 6:35 pm

sorry yes NI i part of the UK, i meant from the mainland....

ChrisOBrien

Post by ChrisOBrien » Mon Mar 12, 2012 7:56 pm

The British Disc Golf Association doing a tour event outside of Britain? Northern Ireland is in the United Kingdom, but outside Britain. Does this matter?

Would like to make the trip, but probably staying local in June.
BDGA # 305
PDGA # 34659
Missing trees by 1mm, finding impossible gaps by mistake, these are some of my favourite things

GASPgary

Post by GASPgary » Mon Mar 12, 2012 8:52 pm

Ooh, how we have pondered that question here for decades!
Anyway, hello all, my first post on your forum. I am Gary Parr, would be organiser and enthusiast for the sport of disc golf in Ireland.
A few points of general information about our event:
Accommodation at onsite campsite is £13 per pitch per night, good if you are sharing, all facilities onsite.
Accommodation at local YC bunkhouse £12 pppn (but subject to min numbers), self-catering, 10 mins walk to course, 5 mins walk to pub.
B&B accommodation locally from £30 pppn.
Saturday evening get together in pub, excellent pubgrug from £7.
A taxi transfer from/to either Belfast airport is £90 for 8 seater taxi (£11.25 pp).
The Kingdom of Mourne trophys are awarded after first days play (36 holes), and BDGA tour trophy after second days play (63 holes). You could go home with 2 trophies!
Entry fee for 1 day is £15, 2 days is £25.
Proposed course layout (may be revised) can be viewed at http://maps.google.co.uk/maps/myplaces? ... s=1&num=10

If you have anything specific that you need an answer to, give me a shout, be pleased to help.

I leave you with this observation: The event location, Kilbroney Park, is where an enormous boulder, known as Cloughmore, landed after being thrown at a rival (across Carlingford Lough) by legendary Irish giant Finn MacCool. A very appropriate place in which to host a competition for a sport that involves throwing things!
Cheers, gary.

ChrisOBrien

Post by ChrisOBrien » Mon Mar 12, 2012 9:20 pm

Sounds more appealing the more I think about it. Especially if its going to be sunny like in the pictures!
BDGA # 305
PDGA # 34659
Missing trees by 1mm, finding impossible gaps by mistake, these are some of my favourite things

Mr.Scary

Post by Mr.Scary » Tue Mar 13, 2012 10:39 am

I was all over this an then looked at the calender and was gutted to see we are already on holiday that weekend. :cry:

Enjoy.

Oh and welcome Gary!!! :D
"By far, the most important part of any shot is what is happening in the last split second as the disc is pulling itself from your grip. Focus there. It's the key."

"Don't let what you cannot do interfere with what you can do."