2012 BDGA British Open Disc Golf Championships (PDGA C Tier)

Does what it says on the tin!
JesseD

2012 BDGA British Open Disc Golf Championships (PDGA C Tier)

Post by JesseD » Tue Feb 21, 2012 7:16 pm

26/27 May 2012, Quarry Park, Old Milverton Lane, Leamington Spa, Warwicks, CV32 6RW

Tournament Director – Jesse Denny BDGA# 282 PDGA# 8878
Nearly every disc golfer has at some time dreamed of buying some land, and landscaping it specifically for disc golf. Quarry Park is that dream turned into reality. Come and share it!

BDGA Tour
In recent times the British Open has been an “A” or “B” Tier Eurotour event. The prize money requirements have made for expensive fees, and detracted from British participation. This year the Open is part of the BDGA Tour which typically comprises C Tier events with no cash prizes.
Your entry fees will cover green fees, trophies and BDGA/PDGA fees. To the extent that we can raise sponsorship we will give out prize money or vouchers/merchandise, but don’t expect a big payout unless we get a big sponsor. Play for the honour!

USDGC
This event will be used to determine which British player will get the opportunity to play in the Performance Flight at the USDGC.

Format
• 2x18 on Saturday, and 1x18 on Sunday for all players, 9 hole finals for Open and Adv Amateurs

Tournament Fee
• Adult £23.00
• PDGA/BDGA Touring members £5 reduction
• Cumulative £2 reductions for:
o Paying in advance, before 12th May
o Quarry Park members
o Students
o Extra £3 off for 16 and under
• Lunch £7.50 for 2 days (details below)

Schedule
Saturday 26 May
09.30 Check in closes
09:45 Players Meeting
10:15 Round 1

Sunday 27 May
09.30 Round 3
13.00 Finals start
15:30 Awards

Food and facilities Lunch is not included in the entry fee. The cost is £7.50 for 2 days, and includes baguette, crisps, flapjack or similar, drink, fruit. We will provide the bakery with numbers on 21 May 2012, so please register and pay by then.

Separate to the above, there will be soft drinks, confectionery, and a huge selection of golf discs and disc golf bags on sale at the course. There is a shelter at the course with water and toilet.

Accommodation
Camping is on the course behind the 18th tee, £2.50 per night. Vehicle access cannot be guaranteed. There are no showers or mains running water.
Find B&B’s in Kenilworth and Leamington Spa at http://www.shakespeare-country.co.uk

Register now
Please register as soon as possible, and by 20:00 on Friday 26th May at the latest. Fill in the form at HERE!!!!

Payment before the 12th of May saves you £2, No cash will be accepted on the day. Please Pay in advance.

Account Details
Sort - 402413 Account -71538721

Overseas players can pay by PayPal to jessedenny@me.com

Once pre-registered, if your circumstance change and you cannot come (even at the last minute) please call to let us know.

Contact details
• Jesse Denny E. Jessedenny@me.com T. 07590992813
Last edited by JesseD on Tue Mar 27, 2012 10:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
um,,,, ah,,,, um,,, a,,, um,, ah,,,

JesseD

Re: 2012 BDGA British Open Disc Golf Championships (PDGA C T

Post by JesseD » Tue Feb 21, 2012 7:36 pm

The list of registered players can be found at

http://britishopen2012.blogspot.co.uk
Last edited by JesseD on Tue Mar 27, 2012 6:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DILLIGAF

Post by DILLIGAF » Wed Feb 22, 2012 7:55 pm

Quick question, how will the OPEN/AM Stats be calculated for this ?
S.S.D.D.

bruce

Post by bruce » Thu Feb 23, 2012 10:58 am

Stats will be calculated as normal, the standard BDGA divisional ratings breaks will be enforced
[Standard post disclaimer] My posts are never intended to undermine the work of the Board or individuals putting in effort to grow the sport, they are my honest thoughts on the best ways to grow the game

BDGA: 145
PDGA: 8824

Del

Post by Del » Thu Mar 08, 2012 1:46 pm

Just a reminder to folks to get registered for the British Open which this year is part of the BDGA Tour and hence gets you BDGA ranking points. The invitation is at the top of this thread. The registration page link is...
Please register as soon as possible, and by 20:00 on Friday 26th May at the latest. Fill in the form at HERE!!!!
Should be a great event.
Derek Robins
Quarry Park Disc Golf

JesseD

Post by JesseD » Tue Mar 27, 2012 12:01 pm

JesseD

Post by JesseD » Tue Mar 27, 2012 7:40 pm

BDGA British Open 2012 at Quarry Park

The British open is fast approaching and all the club here at Quarry Park are getting really excited at the prospect of some great weather and great golf. We are gathering together the usual suspects and hopefully some new faces.

We are trying really hard to make this a great event for all to remember for years to come. Including getting as much sponsorship, and goodies we can. As you might already know this will be a BDGA Tour event so the powerstats count, and the fee's are considerably lower.

Also This event will be used to determine which British player will get the opportunity to play in the Performance Flight at the USDGC - So good luck and get that putting practice in!

So get those fingers tapping and sign up at http://www.britishopen2012.blogspot.co.uk

Most importantly bring your A GAME!!!

Jesse Denny
Tournament Director

JesseD

Post by JesseD » Wed Mar 28, 2012 3:23 pm

I have just been posting on every disc golf site in Europe,,, so hopefully there will be more people than we can handle!!!!

MampiSwift

Post by MampiSwift » Tue Apr 24, 2012 11:07 am

ANYONE NOT SIGNED UP ON THIS THAT SIGNS UP NOW CAN RECEIVE A FREE SWIM IN THE AVON!!!
Quarry Park member.
BDGA number :354
PDGA number :45313
Hyzer cup 2009/10 champions
Hyzer cup 2010/11 champions
Hyzer cup 2011/12 champions
Hyzer cup 2012/2013 champions

ChrisOBrien

Post by ChrisOBrien » Tue May 08, 2012 5:37 pm

The next Disc Golf Leader Award is on Friday 25th May (morning) - the day before the British Open at Quarry Park.
For details and booking: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/vie ... c6MA#gid=0
BDGA # 305
PDGA # 34659
Missing trees by 1mm, finding impossible gaps by mistake, these are some of my favourite things

BOF

Post by BOF » Tue May 08, 2012 8:02 pm

Will the 'Performance Flight' system be used to determine who attends the USDGC, or is it simply that the winner will get the opportunity?

From the USDGC website:
Performance Scoring, featured in the 2011 USDGC, allows players of different skill levels to compete on an equal basis by assigning each player a projected score based on their skill level and the layout of the course. After the round, players are ranked by comparing their ‘performance’ relative to their projected score.
Like previous years, PDGA State Coordinators will be tasked with choosing their state representative. Although, they may simply pick a deserving individual, it’s preferred that they apply Performance Scoring to a local tournament to determine the USDGC spot.
(my italics)

Can anyone explain how this system works to me, please?

Thanks in advance.

BOF

Big System
BDGA #33
PDGA #8835

http://www.ashvillediscgolf.co.uk

bruce

Post by bruce » Wed May 09, 2012 7:34 am

Just the winner (or top brit anyway) this time. I'll have a look at the Performance flight system during the USDGC this year and see how it might be applied in future
[Standard post disclaimer] My posts are never intended to undermine the work of the Board or individuals putting in effort to grow the sport, they are my honest thoughts on the best ways to grow the game

andrewdouse

Post by andrewdouse » Wed May 09, 2012 10:49 am

Doh! Chris.... Only this week has that friday been booked up for work... I will see if I can get out of it again!
BDGA# 373 PDGA# 51346

BOF

Post by BOF » Wed May 09, 2012 5:26 pm

Just the winner (or top brit anyway) this time. I'll have a look at the Performance flight system during the USDGC this year and see how it might be applied in future
...although our 'top Brit' may well not be the player who performs best within the Performance Flight system...

Given that the qualifying place has been advertised since mid-February, and that the whole idea behind this system is to move away from the unsustainable 'elite' tournament format, it is a little disappointing that we won't be determining our eligible player by the format that will be used in the actual event. I believe that they used it at the 2011 USDGC?

Not a criticism of any individual, just surprised that this potential once-in-a-lifetime opportunity won't be available to all on a 'level playing field' using the system that;
allows players of different skill levels to compete on an equal basis
Whatever...

(stands back and awaits counter-comments)

BOF

Big Opportunity
BDGA #33
PDGA #8835

bruce

Post by bruce » Thu May 10, 2012 11:13 am

I find it helps if you consider this to be a benevolent dictatorship, rather than a democratic system.

BOF

Post by BOF » Thu May 10, 2012 1:32 pm

Are you, therfore, the benevolent dictator in this situation?

Or is it the TD who has decided how the USDGC place is to be decided?

Did anyone understand the philosophy behind the allocation of USDGC places via the Performance Scoring system before the decision was made to give it to the top placed British player at the British Open?

Interestingly, the original invite posted by Jesse states that;
USDGC
This event will be used to determine which British player will get the opportunity to play in the Performance Flight at the USDGC.
What it doesn't say is how that place will be decided.

Move over, Levenson, we've got some proper questions that need answering!

Bemused.

BOF

Big Dictator
BDGA #33
PDGA #8835

Mark.A.D

Post by Mark.A.D » Thu May 10, 2012 1:42 pm

is it not based on who plays their best compared to their rating? or is that too simple a system for the PDGA?
Hyzer Cup Champions 09/10, 10/11, 11/12, 12/13
BDGA #357
PDGA #45315

bruce

Post by bruce » Thu May 10, 2012 2:18 pm

That would be me, yes. I have better things to be doing, but as far as I can see the performance scoring system is tied into the Disc Golf United website's handicapping system for league play, which no one in the UK uses to my knowledge. Apparently you can just send them the results and they'll do the work, but there is a distinct lack of detail as to what it does or how it's calculated.
The only detail I can find anywhere is:
Keep in mind, the following requirements must be met by players in order to be eligible for the USDGC Performance Flight:
- PDGA player ratings must be at least 875 and comprised by a minimum of 12 PDGA rated rounds between November 1st 2011 and Oct. 1st 2012.
- During the qualifying event, eligible players must play the same configuration of layouts as the ‘Pro Open’ division. However, course layouts do not need to be played in the same order or at the same time.
Oh, and you'll need to pass the officials exam as well as it's a Major. None of that appears to tell you anything about the handicapping and without any info how are you supposed to assess its fairness or otherwise?

Ultimately the spot belongs to me to hand out, as it has done since I took the job. This year it will be competed for and offered to the highest placed Brit at the Open and then passed down the list until someone wants it.

BOF

Post by BOF » Thu May 10, 2012 2:45 pm

Thanks for clarification, Presidente.

I think it looks my suggested 'Rating Weighting' system, comparing current Player Rating vs. you're actual Round Ratings for the Tournament.

Still, no great loss.

Thanks for the polite and restrained replies - you could have so easily taken offence at my comments!

Still, that's the benefit of having a benevolent dictator, they're so understanding and forgiving!

See you at QP?

BOF

Big Putt
BDGA #33
PDGA #8835

bruce

Post by bruce » Thu May 10, 2012 3:00 pm

<doffs crown>

No problemo.

I'll be there, hopefully passing on a performance flight 'golden ticket' to whoever finishes second :)