BDGA Tour 6 - Quarry Park Open 2011

Does what it says on the tin!
JesseD

BDGA Tour 6 - Quarry Park Open 2011

Post by JesseD » Tue Apr 19, 2011 6:52 am

Hello Everyone! and Welcome to the next Quarry Park Open 2011!!!

you will be able to find the registration here HERE!

Look forward to seeing you all there and enjoy!
um,,,, ah,,,, um,,, a,,, um,, ah,,,

Neil M

Re: BDGA Tour 6 - Quarry Park Open 2011

Post by Neil M » Tue Apr 19, 2011 7:44 am

hmmm I appear to have registered twice. There is only 1 me!
BDGA: 362
PDGA: 46974

JesseD

Post by JesseD » Tue Apr 19, 2011 7:47 am

List of registered players can be found HERE :D

JesseD

Post by JesseD » Tue Apr 19, 2011 7:50 am

Neil M wrote:hmmm I appear to have registered twice. There is only 1 me!

Thank goodness for that :D

Neil M

Post by Neil M » Tue Apr 19, 2011 8:38 am

JesseD wrote:
Neil M wrote:hmmm I appear to have registered twice. There is only 1 me!

Thank goodness for that :D
Indeed!
BDGA: 362
PDGA: 46974

gommog

Post by gommog » Tue Apr 19, 2011 10:02 am

Registered and camping fri and sat nights, any more QP'ers camping so we can have a bit more of a social* both nights?

*drunken disk golf
QP Hyzer Cup Champions 2010/2011
Eurasian and African kan jam champion 2014
Spanish Am Champion 2015

BDGA no.360
PDGA no. 46975

JesseD

Post by JesseD » Tue Apr 19, 2011 10:24 am

gommog wrote:Registered and camping fri and sat nights, any more QP'ers camping so we can have a bit more of a social* both nights?
I will as long as it's not pissing down with snow, rain, hale.

Village

Post by Village » Tue Apr 19, 2011 10:46 am

registered!

I'll have fitted the heater to the van by then, just in time for it to be roasting hot..........
The worst thing about having a failing memory is.....no, its gone...

Running with scissors since 1977

BDGA 173 PDGA 8831

Paul Holden

Post by Paul Holden » Tue Apr 19, 2011 3:53 pm

Sorry, clashes with another event that I'm afraid I'm committed to...

http://www.glastonburyfestivals.co.uk/
Paul Holden
BDGA No. 307
PDGA No. 34662

Village

Post by Village » Tue Apr 19, 2011 5:32 pm

Paul Holden wrote:Sorry, clashes with another event that I'm afraid I'm committed to...

never heard of it..................
The worst thing about having a failing memory is.....no, its gone...

Running with scissors since 1977

BDGA 173 PDGA 8831

West

Post by West » Tue Apr 19, 2011 7:12 pm

Village wrote:
Paul Holden wrote:Sorry, clashes with another event that I'm afraid I'm committed to...

never heard of it..................
Apparently its a small get together where some people play some music and others chill out ... or something like that. Its not very big and it won't take off ....
"West"
PDGA: #8823
BDGA: #250
Twitter: @WestDiscGolf
BDGA DoC 2007 - 2011

JesseD

Post by JesseD » Wed Jun 01, 2011 6:10 am

Hello all,

just to let you all know that there are only 15 signed up for the open, i was hope for quite a few more than that,

especially as there are is no whitcombe.

please come and sign up.

kind regards,

Jesse

gommog

Post by gommog » Wed Jun 01, 2011 7:54 am

Have you thought about putting a poster at the course and putting a message on the facebook group? I'm sure there's plenty of locals who would be interested if they knew about this.
QP Hyzer Cup Champions 2010/2011
Eurasian and African kan jam champion 2014
Spanish Am Champion 2015

BDGA no.360
PDGA no. 46975

Del

Post by Del » Wed Jun 01, 2011 12:26 pm

I was talking to Rich Hatton last night and he said that in relation to tour events generally there are some people who grumble about costs and where does the money go, and I guess others don't grumble but have some curiosity. So I thought I'd provide you all with the basic formula that applies to QP events.
I say to Jesse that I am prepared to charge the day rate for competitors rather than the 2 day rate, i.e. £8 for adults and £5 for students. Most of my visitors think that the £5/round represents exceptional value, so I'd like to think that you would all be very appreciative of paying £8 for 3 or 4 rounds. I'd also hope that you will be happy to pay the normal rate to play on Friday like any other visitor.
If we get 50 to 60 players, that should result in me getting over £400 in fees, which, depending on the weather, might be more or less than I would get if the tournament wasn't happening. To put this in perspective I have spent over £1500 in the last few months on 3 new baskets, astroturf, timber (for steps), grass seed, fuel, and wages to establish new holes and tees for tournaments. That is to say nothing of 50+ hours of unpaid labour on that project, mostly by myself.
Camping charge is just £5 for 2 nights. Campers do create extra rubbish and recycling for me to deal with, and we try to provide water which they may tend to use more of. They also use the toilet more, and I pay £60 to get the toilet emptied both before and after the QP Open.
As for the rest of the entry fee, Jesse is responsible, but I know from previous experience that he has used all the money collected to put into prizes, after taking account of direct costs such as BDGA tax and PDGA fee.
So there you have it - a complete bargain!!! :-)
Derek Robins
Quarry Park Disc Golf

rhatton1

Post by rhatton1 » Wed Jun 01, 2011 12:44 pm

Baring in mind that QP is closed to casual play on the tournament weekends as well and therefore losing all the normal revenue that can be expected on the weekend.
www.discgolfuk.com
richard@discgolfuk.com
Home of the Midlands One Day Series
Talk to us about courses!

Mark.A.D

Post by Mark.A.D » Wed Jun 01, 2011 1:14 pm

Woohoo, looks like a top 4 finish
Hyzer Cup Champions 09/10, 10/11, 11/12, 12/13
BDGA #357
PDGA #45315

Steve

Post by Steve » Wed Jun 01, 2011 2:45 pm

Del wrote:I say to Jesse that I am prepared to charge the day rate for competitors rather than the 2 day rate, i.e. £8 for adults and £5 for students. Most of my visitors think that the £5/round represents exceptional value, so I'd like to think that you would all be very appreciative of paying £8 for 3 or 4 rounds. I'd also hope that you will be happy to pay the normal rate to play on Friday like any other visitor.
If we get 50 to 60 players, that should result in me getting over £400 in fees, which, depending on the weather, might be more or less than I would get if the tournament wasn't happening. To put this in perspective I have spent over £1500 in the last few months on 3 new baskets, astroturf, timber (for steps), grass seed, fuel, and wages to establish new holes and tees for tournaments. That is to say nothing of 50+ hours of unpaid labour on that project, mostly by myself.
Camping charge is just £5 for 2 nights. Campers do create extra rubbish and recycling for me to deal with, and we try to provide water which they may tend to use more of. They also use the toilet more, and I pay £60 to get the toilet emptied both before and after the QP Open.
As for the rest of the entry fee, Jesse is responsible, but I know from previous experience that he has used all the money collected to put into prizes, after taking account of direct costs such as BDGA tax and PDGA fee.
So there you have it - a complete bargain!!! :-)
Just a few things that poped into my head whilst reading that...

So basically if you attend the summer event you get one round free over a two day period? compared to the usual price?

The £1500 spent in the last 3 months would be a one off layout? and not realy considered essential maintenance such as grass cutting etc? and from the sounds of it could be recovered in just under 4 weeks worth of visitors paying green fees?
How many people would the course attract if it wasn't a BDGA event (both sat / sun and the friday before for early arrivals), just out of interest?

I'm also not sure about the campers using the toilet more than other people attending the event? I tend to avoid it and use macdonalds etc instead. I also have taken 2 whole bin bags full of campers rubbish with me from the last 2 QP events as I didn't think leaving it for you to deal with was fair...

I hope none of this is taken the wrong way, I'm genuinly interested and still strongly believe that the cheaper events become the more popular they would be (especially with kids).
[url=http://www.shropdisc.co.uk/]Disc Golf In Shropshire[/url]

[color=red] BDGA # 266
[url=http://www.pdga.org/tournament/playerstats.php?PDGANum=8833&year=2007]PDGA # 8833[/url]
[/color]

bruce

Post by bruce » Wed Jun 01, 2011 3:25 pm

Steve wrote:Just a few things that poped into my head whilst reading that...

So basically if you attend the summer event you get one round free over a two day period? compared to the usual price?
No, you get a day free. Just because the event might only have one round for all players doesn't mean you aren't free to play further.
The £1500 spent in the last 3 months would be a one off layout? and not realy considered essential maintenance such as grass cutting etc? and from the sounds of it could be recovered in just under 4 weeks worth of visitors paying green fees?
Sounded to me like a combination of one-off and normal course maintenance, but regardless when have you known QP to not be changing/improving/investing in the course? I would consider all these spends to be essential rather than something to be considered 'one-off'.
How many people would the course attract if it wasn't a BDGA event (both sat / sun and the friday before for early arrivals), just out of interest?

I'm also not sure about the campers using the toilet more than other people attending the event? I tend to avoid it and use macdonalds etc instead. I also have taken 2 whole bin bags full of campers rubbish with me from the last 2 QP events as I didn't think leaving it for you to deal with was fair...

I hope none of this is taken the wrong way, I'm genuinly interested and still strongly believe that the cheaper events become the more popular they would be (especially with kids).
I don't think it's fair to Derek to second guess his costings or analyse the overheads he has seen from running events over many years, he'll be the first to admit that he's unlikely to ever recover his investment in QP and whilst individuals might be model campers that doesn't hold true for everyone.

I don't disagree that a cheaper event is potentially more attractive but the facts are that entry fees remain a minority of the total cost of attending an event, I'd guess at around 10% of my total spend on an event at QP, and much lower for events further afield. Not only that but they still remain incredibly competitively priced compared to just about any other organised activity you can name, and are typically break-even financially and loss-making from a personal effort/reward perspective.

To echo your last line Steve, don't take anything the wrong way, I'm just stating my views
[Standard post disclaimer] My posts are never intended to undermine the work of the Board or individuals putting in effort to grow the sport, they are my honest thoughts on the best ways to grow the game

BDGA: 145
PDGA: 8824

Del

Post by Del » Wed Jun 01, 2011 4:23 pm

Steve, it's difficult not to take what you say the wrong way. If you go to Croydon you can't even park your car overnight in a car park for £8, and talking of parking, the car park at QP cost nigh on £20k after planning, legal and construction costs.

Your taking away rubbish is much appreciated - dealing with that and recycling is not one of my fav jobs. The £1500 is solely for the new changes, no grass/hedge cutting, mole trapping, shop staffing etc included.

It would be nice if some other thoughts popped into your head such as "Del, I really appreciate that you give up 40% of a well paid job, to run QP for less than minimum wage"

Cheaper fees would make some difference, but not much, and I think the way forward is for clubs to raise funds to support their juniors. I think you maybe do some of this, it's what happens a lot in Europe, players guide business or social groups round a public course and the fee goes to the club.
Derek Robins
Quarry Park Disc Golf

rhatton1

Post by rhatton1 » Wed Jun 01, 2011 4:42 pm

Steve wrote:
Wouldn't the large gap in the summer schedule be a great oppurtunity to put on an event at Mereside and show everyone how a "cheap" tournament can be run and how popular they would be?
www.discgolfuk.com
richard@discgolfuk.com
Home of the Midlands One Day Series
Talk to us about courses!