A New year, A New User

A landing area for users to say hello and get permission to post in the main forums.

YOU WILL NOT BE ABLE TO POST ELSEWHERE ON THE BOARD UNTIL YOU POST HERE

Moderator: bruce

Ollie

A New year, A New User

Post by Ollie » Thu Jan 05, 2017 7:24 pm

Evening All,

Recently returned from a road trip across America during which my wife and I played a healthy about of disc golf. Looking to keep playing and improving whilst back in the UK. I figured I'd sign up to the forum to keep abreast of happenings in the UK.

Thanks for having me!

Ollie

Mark.A.D

Re: A New year, A New User

Post by Mark.A.D » Thu Jan 05, 2017 8:15 pm

Welcome, whereabouts in the UK do you hail? There are plenty of clubs about full of friendly folk to help you out

Ollie

Post by Ollie » Wed Jan 18, 2017 10:34 pm

Hey Mark,

Thanks for the welcome. In between my last post and this one I moved to Bristol so have been playing at Ashton Court at least once a week, a bit wet and windy but it's a nice break from job hunting!

Considering driving to Mendips this Saturday if I'm free as annoyingly I'll be in London the weekend that the BDGA event takes place at Ashton Court.

Nice to make your acquaintance, I see you're from Leam I have friends who live there, first place I played disc golf in fact.

Ollie

Mark.A.D

Post by Mark.A.D » Wed Jan 18, 2017 10:58 pm

Good to hear, I hope you can make it to the Mendip event on Saturday as I'll be there myself :D

Mark.A.D

Post by Mark.A.D » Wed Jan 18, 2017 11:00 pm

And if you get any free time in London, see if you can get to Croydon, there is an excellent course in Lloyd Park

Ollie

Post by Ollie » Thu Jan 19, 2017 11:54 am

Hello again Mark,

I wanted to know a little more information about Mendip which seeing as your attending perhaps you can help me with?
Just wanted to check that it's alright for amateurs/filthy casuals to turn up? How many people are usually at these events and what time people expect to finish?

Going to play/practise tomorrow afternoon in Bristol and will figure out then if I'll drive down on Sat.

Thanks again for your replies,

Ollie

Mark.A.D

Post by Mark.A.D » Thu Jan 19, 2017 4:23 pm

The Mendip snowsport centre charge green fees to play, £4.90 for a day pass but anyone can show up, pay the fee, rent a disc and have at it

At this time of year events tend to run towards the end of daylight so 4:30/5pm finish expected, it may finish slightly earlier.

Ashton court is a good place to go if you want F2P golf.

If you are on facebook there is an event for Saturday here: https://www.facebook.com/events/363094664070267/

You'll find more about it here http://www.mendipsnowsport.co.uk/discgolf/

Mark.A.D

Post by Mark.A.D » Thu Jan 19, 2017 5:19 pm

I should have mentioned there is a short registration form for the event here:
https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIp ... rm?c=0&w=1

I'd recommend entering the Novice division if it is your first event

Ollie

Post by Ollie » Thu Jan 19, 2017 8:39 pm

Thanks Mark for all the info. Not on facebook but I can still access the event page. Going to have a look now.

Will let you know tomorrow what we decide to do, if we do decide to come down then will be sure to sign up in the novice section.

Thanks Again!

rhatton1

Post by rhatton1 » Fri Jan 20, 2017 9:32 am

Definitely come down! These events cater to all from the best players in the country to people that have only played a couple of times. There will be lots of the regular Bristol/Mendips people playing as well so a good chance to meet the other locals and it's run by Matt Cutler who has been the driving force behind the growth in Disc Golf in the area in the last 10 years.

And, as an extra bonus, I've just been given a pass by the wife to play, you lucky lucky people.

By the way, I'm calling shotgun now Mark, you better get out of my seat when you get to mine tomorrow!

mat cutler

Post by mat cutler » Fri Jan 20, 2017 1:15 pm

HI ollie!

matt cutler here, sorry i missed this thread! if you're on facebook join "bristol disc golf" and "yeti disc golf club" for news and info on playing rounds with all the bristol crew. If not on facebook call me 07986 461345.

matt

Ollie

Post by Ollie » Fri Jan 20, 2017 2:05 pm

Hello Matt,

Nice to meet you also. I'm not on facebook which is why I chose to join the forum. However my wife is so I'll get her to follow the pages you mentioned. We both just registered online via the google doc you created so will meet you both properly tomorrow morning no doubt.

Off to play at Ashton Court in an hour as the weather is great today!

Ollie

mat cutler

Post by mat cutler » Fri Jan 20, 2017 2:26 pm

cool I just approved her bristol disc golf facebook request and sent a friend request! Have a lovely round in the sun see you tomorrow at 9am we'll be in the bar at mendip

matt