Royal Berkshire show

Ideas for DG development, good news stories, requests for help etc
robbnot

Royal Berkshire show

Post by robbnot » Thu Jun 25, 2015 12:07 am

We have the chance to promote disc golf at the Royal Berkshire show, in September , so plenty of time to plan...
Volunteers required to help run the putting games, give demo's etc , (shifts of course, free entry to the show and we can sort accommodation etc
A great opportunity to show people its a nationwide sport, with an estimated 60,000 peaple through the gate, this is not to be missed ...
http://www.berkshireshow.co.uk/Show/index
BDGA#1007
PDGA#62797

My disc golf makes your disc golf look great...

gommog

Re: Royal Berkshire show

Post by gommog » Mon Jul 06, 2015 11:51 am

Rob count me in for this, after helping out at the Godiva festival this weekend i'm convinced this is what we should be concentrating on both to get more new people playing and increase the level of players in the UK. Talking to Paul Claridge from Coventry YMCA who coaches the GB Women's wheelchair basketball team over the weekend he was telling us how by doing events like this enabled him to highlight the sport to more potential players. By doing this they created the biggest academy in the UK and they now have 3 local women in the under 25 GB team, they won gold in the world championships in China yesterday so he's doing something right and I learnt a lot from them this weekend.

We went to an open day in Bedworth a few months back and we were totally unprepared and not really knowing what we were doing, we had a table, some information on disc golf and a few discs, as a result it wasn't successful at all. So here's what the YMCA did differently and I think we need to aim for at these kind of events:

They had 2 pop up stalls joined together to make one larger area they could set up displays in, put flyers on tables and generally give it a professional appearance for people walking past. I've had a look on ebay this morning and you can get similar for around £60, if the BDGA is willing to fund this we can use them for other events.

6 pub type benches at the back of the stall, there were lots of families there and nowhere to sit down, get a drink/eat some food, by allowing people to take a weight off for a bit you can then have a quick chat with them, hand them a flyer and hopefully get them to try some of the activities.

6 disc golf baskets and 25 discs, we set up a 6 hole course, each hole being 30 - 45 metres taking around 10 - 15 minutes to complete. You do need a bit of space to do this and we found it would be better to fence this off as we had a lot of drunk people wondering through on Saturday so had to go down to 4 holes as we couldn't keep an eye on everything. This was just in an open field, we used flags on some of them as an obstacle but people still enjoyed the course.

Event t-shirts, we used the YMCA t-shirts but it made us look more professional and people knew to approach you to get some discs and be shown around the course. I'm sure it wouldn't be much to get some of these printed up.

I've got a ton of flyers left, they just had a picture of someone putting to a basket on top of a mountain on the front with a general "What is disc golf" blurb overlayed, on the back there were details of quarry park and Bedworth courses. We can use these on future local events and i'm going to give each local player at Bedworth a handful to keep in their bags to hand out at the park, people are always asking what we're doing.

I got a load of stickers as well which i'll give you a stack of as I didn't have time to give many of these out, once you've put a "I love disc golf" sticker on a kid you've got a free walking advert.

I got a banner printed with "Try disc golf here", 2 ft x 6 ft, this seemed to be enough to get people in to give it a try but if we didn't have all the discs out at one time and I was free I just needed to go and hand out 3 flyers before I had a new family in to try it, i'll bring this with me once Hatton has used it for a show in a couple of weeks.

I also bought some discs to sell but didn't have anyone to sit at a table and make sure they didn't go missing so didn't try to sell them, I still sold 2 to a family who live across the road from Bedworth miners park because they asked if I had any to sell, i'm sure if i'd had the time I could have sold 20 to 30 discs each day.

Stuff that surprised me:

More people had heard of disc golf than I realised, most of them who had watch bbc breakfast and really wanted to try it but didn't know anywhere they could play. A surprising number of people saw the ace that was on ESPN the other week and mentioned that.

The amount of people who asked how much it was to play, we had to amend the sign on Sunday to let people know it was free, there would still have been a big number of people willing to pay to play.

How many people came back and played a number of times over the weekend.

How good some of them were, one teenage lad without being shown how to throw grabbed a disc and started playing on his own before I caught up with him, he just naturally had the hip rotation, follow through down to a tee, he parked most of the holes on the course with little effort. Looking back on it I should have given him one of my discs.

Things I didn't have time to do:

I made score cards for the 6 hole course but didn't have time to give these out.

I also made sign up forms for free BDGA membership as a way of sending a follow up if someone was keen to find out more.

Tons of scout leaders and teachers who thought it was a great activity they can bring kids to do.

I just wanted to do a quick brain dump before I forget things but hopefully it's given you at least a couple of things you may not have thought of, we can talk more at the Trilogy challenge at the weekend. I've realised if I put the same effort I put into handicaps and small one day competitions (which isn't that much to be honest) into helping out at things like this we'll see a much bigger benefit.
QP Hyzer Cup Champions 2010/2011
Eurasian and African kan jam champion 2014
Spanish Am Champion 2015

BDGA no.360
PDGA no. 46975

rhatton1

Post by rhatton1 » Tue Jul 07, 2015 1:40 pm

Great work Gary.
www.discgolfuk.com
richard@discgolfuk.com
Home of the Midlands One Day Series
Talk to us about courses!

rhatton1

Post by rhatton1 » Tue Jul 07, 2015 1:42 pm

I would possibly be up for helping out with this Rob.
www.discgolfuk.com
richard@discgolfuk.com
Home of the Midlands One Day Series
Talk to us about courses!