New scouts programme

Ideas for DG development, good news stories, requests for help etc
andrewdouse

New scouts programme

Post by andrewdouse » Mon Jan 26, 2015 8:30 pm

The scouts have launched a new programme of badges and requirements today. They are aiming for 50% outdoor activities, and have a list of activities ideas here
http://members.scouts.org.uk/findanactivity
You may notice theres no disc golf or ultimate on there.

Is it worth the BDGA approaching them With some info. Some activities have a blurb, some have links to governing bodies.

Its only been launched today so I've only had a quick look, but thought I'd post before I forgot!

'Frisbee golf' has been mentioned to me as an activity thats always enjoyed by a few leaders I've met, and a lot of the scout camp sites have it as an activity - usually with aerobies or cheap discs and posts :( , so a bit more info within scouting might get a lot of youf involved- preferably with better equipment!
As an aside I think the coventry camp site at rough close is considering disc golf on their site, it was mentioned at my interview (I've just become a cub leader) and Paul at coventry YMCA mentioned that they use rough close and recon they could get funding for baskets....

I'm happy to approach the scout website with some info if thats ok.
BDGA# 373 PDGA# 51346

Jester

Re: New scouts programme

Post by Jester » Tue Jan 27, 2015 9:22 am

andrewdouse wrote: 'Frisbee golf' has been mentioned to me as an activity thats always enjoyed by a few leaders I've met, and a lot of the scout camp sites have it as an activity - usually with aerobies or cheap discs and posts :( , so a bit more info within scouting might get a lot of youf involved- preferably with better equipment!
Good shout, Andrew. I remember years ago my brother talking about playing 'plate golf' when he went on scout camps - throwing an enamel plate around a course of tent pegs stuck in the ground (the sound of a hit obv made it clear when the player had holed out). Anything that could be done to provide Baden Powell's finest with some proper kit would be time/money well spent!
Jester
BDGA #128
PDGA #8817
------------------------------------------------------
Croydon DGC: Hyzer Cup Champions 08/09, 13/14

seamus

Post by seamus » Tue Jan 27, 2015 10:06 am

I contacted Scouts Scotland a few months back regarding successful disc golf Eagle Scout projects but have not heard back, which in my life means "yes.... just not right now". Eagle Scout projects to build, maintain or repair public disc golf courses has become very popular throughout Boy Scouts of America. Please let me know if you are successful in sparking interest, Best of Luck.

http://www.scouting.org/Training/Adult/ ... cGolf.aspx

http://www.stgeorgeutah.com/news/archiv ... H2L4odIhsU

Not trying to thread rob you Andrew, but another group that has yet to take advantage of our sport here in the UK is the deaf community. Deaf Disc Golf is widely popular in the States, they have there own National Series and Championships as well as proper sign language for disc golf. They are another group of people I've contacted in the "yes....just not now" category, and will revisit them in the future.
Locally its - deaf Action @deafaction of Edinburgh
or Nationally its - UK Deaf Sport @deafsport
Back to back, chicken shack.

ReBoot Disc Golf
www.rebootdiscgolf.com

Scuttler

Post by Scuttler » Tue Jan 27, 2015 10:34 am

Seamus, I'm sure at some point in the past Bonaly Scout Camp http://www.bonaly.org.uk/index.php?cID=1 has been mentioned as a potential location for a course. Another one for your hitlist maybe. :)

Del

Post by Del » Tue Jan 27, 2015 11:07 pm

I get lots of different scout groups visiting QP each year and a Coventry group bought 9 portable baskets.
Derek Robins
Quarry Park Disc Golf

bruce

Post by bruce » Wed Jan 28, 2015 9:25 am

We did get an approach just before Christmas:
We are contacting you on behalf of the Essex International Scout and Guide Jamboree 2016 (EIJ2016), to see if you would be interested in participating with your activity at the event? We have been given your contact from Gilwell Scout Centre, where we understand that you have successfully run activities there as part of the Gilwell reunion.

The Essex Jamboree is an international week long camp which brings together Scouts & Guides from around the world every four years. It offers a range of activities throughout the week to some 8000 participants!

www.eij.org.uk

We are the Daytime programme team, and as such are looking to populate our daytime activities in the various zones for the participants.

EIJ2016, will be in Essex, at the Boyton Cross site,. near Chelmsford, Essex between 30th July 2016 and 6th August 2016.

Would it be possible to call you to discuss the event, get some further contact details and agree some next steps?

Yours in Scouting

Stuart & Clive
As this is in 2016, we'd have plenty of time to plan this, any volunteers to lead it?
[Standard post disclaimer] My posts are never intended to undermine the work of the Board or individuals putting in effort to grow the sport, they are my honest thoughts on the best ways to grow the game

BDGA: 145
PDGA: 8824

bruce

Post by bruce » Thu Feb 05, 2015 4:52 pm

bruce wrote:As this is in 2016, we'd have plenty of time to plan this, any volunteers to lead it?
<tumbleweed>
[Standard post disclaimer] My posts are never intended to undermine the work of the Board or individuals putting in effort to grow the sport, they are my honest thoughts on the best ways to grow the game

BDGA: 145
PDGA: 8824

robbnot

Post by robbnot » Thu Feb 05, 2015 11:49 pm

Well if there's no Essex based volunteers,
I'll do it 8)
BDGA#1007
PDGA#62797

My disc golf makes your disc golf look great...