leaflets promoting disc golf

Ideas for DG development, good news stories, requests for help etc
robbnot

leaflets promoting disc golf

Post by robbnot » Mon Oct 20, 2014 11:47 am

We could do with some leaflets promoting the BDGA and local clubs & courses etc..
BDGA#1007
PDGA#62797

My disc golf makes your disc golf look great...

Jester

Re: leaflets promoting disc golf

Post by Jester » Mon Oct 20, 2014 12:44 pm

Have you seen Andrew's message here?
viewtopic.php?f=11&t=1793&p=22235#p22235
Jester
BDGA #128
PDGA #8817
------------------------------------------------------
Croydon DGC: Hyzer Cup Champions 08/09, 13/14

andrewdouse

Post by andrewdouse » Tue Oct 21, 2014 12:03 pm

I've shifted this over so as not to clog up the AGM thread...
andrewdouse wrote:Something that has been mentioned for a couple of years but hasn't happened yet is a new BDGA leaflet - with space for local info to be added (with a sticker or whatever) I am happy to layout a leaflet, I have the old leaflet and have started a new one, but would need photo's to use. The wording of the old leaflet might want changing a bit as well, which I'd rather someone else did - Me no words good!

It Could then be printed via the BDGA funds, and distributed to clubs to hand out?

At Reading this weekend there was one hole playing between the playground and a steam fair, the hole was almost unplayable because of all the people walking between the two, which led to a lot of disc golf conversations as people stopped to watch, or were asked to watch out for discs, or hang on a sec whilst someone threw. If there had been some leaflets to give out I'm sure it would have increased player numbers more in Reading as people would have had something concrete to refer to later. Hopefully some of the interested people will seek out the local group anyway. (So many people had heard of "frisbee golf" but were surprised to see it in Reading, or indeed the UK.)
Jester wrote:Andrew's got a good point - where DG demos are taking place, printed matter is essential to give the interested party something to take away and refer to later. Even if they weren't that interested at the time, they might think about it later or pass the flyer on to someone else.

When designing flyers, a trap that's easy to fall into is trying to make one that answers every question about DG, rather than concentrating on getting the member of the public to do one thing e.g. visit the BDGA website/on FB/on Twitter. Back in the 90s I produced a double-sided A4 'What is DG' rules and an explanation leaflet for the BDGA. Thanks to a terrific photo Liam Young took at Whitcombe it looked really nice, but didn't have a perfectly clear purpose. It had a space for local clubs to add their contact details, but in this digital age I think we should be saying less on paper and utilising the flexibility digital provides.

What I'm saying is that while a leaflet/flyer is a good idea for the above scenario, it needs to cover only the high level details and encourage with a clear, single call to action for the recipient to continue their learning on the appropriate digital channel. Defining the recipient first (potential players or someone interested on behalf of someone else? Kids, teens, adults male, female? etc) is critical to the design being a sucess.
seamus wrote:Give me a call if there is any ad space on this leaflet.
I like Jesters thinking on this, so possibly a simple A5 or A6 BDGA flyer, with space on the back for local club details and a simple appealing bit of text and image(s) on the front?

If anyone has suggestion for the words or pictures let me know and I'll put something together for people to look and and improve upon!

So if anyone has suggestions for what would go on a leaflet, let me know!
BDGA# 373 PDGA# 51346

mat cutler

Post by mat cutler » Wed Oct 22, 2014 8:41 am

simple business card.... with nice picture and bdga.org.uk no need for anything else?

Del

Post by Del » Wed Oct 22, 2014 12:37 pm

I'm a fan of the A4 tri-fold leaflets. Having more info means that info can be conveyed at the point at which we have someone's attention, there will always be some attrition when someone has to take a look at a later date. Wherever possible it is desirable to target messages to specific audiences, but I don't think that's realistic here, as we will not have multiple leaflets and I don't think we should say that we are only interested in a narrow demographic. Reaching multiple demographics with targeted messages is of course possible with Facebook advertising, where we could advertise to age ranges, genders, locations etc. I'm not sure how effective facebook advertising is, but we could try it, and track the results.
If we do go down the route of relying more on our website presence to provide info, then it is even more essential that we improve our website - if someone goes to our home page now, they might be forgiven for thinking that we disbanded at the end of 2013.
Derek Robins
Quarry Park Disc Golf

BaggerBlakehill

Post by BaggerBlakehill » Thu Oct 23, 2014 4:36 pm

Hi Del

I'm completely agree and have made this point a few times. If BDGA website is to be the forefront of the sport's initial engagement we need to ensure it's kept up to date. I completely understand that everyone who does the work around this is volunteering their time however if that's an issue then all we need to do is at least reduce the content of the front page to being generic, time-irrelevant pieces such as the general principles of the game etc.

Obviously we should still have all the same content accessible on the site but if regular updates aren't feasible, then we need to tuck that stuff away a little.

Back to the leaflets though, I think it's a great idea to have something like an A5 leaflet that gives some information about the sport and how to play on one side then leave the back (or at least half of it) for the local club to add their details such as main contacts, FB/Web page, course location/s, when the club meets.

Regarding material for it, I'm sure Dan Brown must have some really quality pictures that could be used and between us, I'm sure we could get the wording done really easy.

Ok I just knocked this is in 5 minutes so go easy but this is the type of thing I think would be really easy to do and would give every club something they can use to help promote the sport and get new members…

https://www.dropbox.com/s/i4t7nza1kabfb ... .docx?dl=0
Still suffering from early wood

BDGA# 1112
PDGA# 61657

rhatton1

Post by rhatton1 » Fri Oct 24, 2014 9:21 am

If its for the purpose of handing out material to people you have engaged in conversation on the course I can't see why you need anything more than what Matt is suggesting - a business card with photo and contact info does it all. They have already seen what you are doing and hopefully you may have encouraged them to throw a few :) All they need then is a reminder of contact details.

If you are running a booth away from the course/dropping leaflets in tourist information sites etc then a more detailed leaflet would be more necessary to pique interest.

Out of interest though Del what would you say the response has been in the past to your leaflet drops/Tourist information leaflets and things like that? do you have any figures in mind of how well it has done to bring people to the course? (in other words was there a worthwhile measurable response that would encourage you to do it again? If this was only negligible then the cheaper option of business cards would surely be better for clubs who are unlikely to get any revenue back from a similar thing and are just trying to rope people in they see on the course )
www.discgolfuk.com
richard@discgolfuk.com
Home of the Midlands One Day Series
Talk to us about courses!

robbnot

Post by robbnot » Sat Oct 25, 2014 8:18 pm

We (H&Bdgc) are sharing some consultation/show days with the other clubs that use the sports complex, where we play, and I think for this, leaflets are a great way to show the public that we are part of a UK wide sport with a proper governing body. Them alongside business cards. ie; BDGA leaflets, club cards.
As for the website, Definitely needs an update.. surely there is someone that would like to be chief webmaster/Blogger, or make more admin?, there's quite a few of us that are always online......
BDGA#1007
PDGA#62797

mat cutler

Post by mat cutler » Tue Nov 04, 2014 7:19 pm

Out of interest though Del what would you say the response has been in the past to your leaflet drops/Tourist information leaflets and things like that? do you have any figures in mind of how well it has done to bring people to the course?
Speaking from experience from bristol my leaflets for ashton court haven't massively improved use of the course but then people mainly have issues with finding tees, the course etc (another story.....)

At Mendip We have a simple a6 2 sided flyer asking you to try disc golf with a link to the mendip webpage, a picture of a very handsome disc golfer and probably the biggest draw "half price with this flyer", this is all!

I am happy to discuss what has worked and what hasn't with people directly but can't really post publicly on the forum our data etc on effectiveness of our marketing campaigns etc.

please feel free to get in touch matt 07986461345

seamus

Post by seamus » Sun Apr 19, 2015 6:51 pm

Did anyone ever develop a generic leaflet for disc golf?
I know a club looking for something to quickly print and distribute.
Back to back, chicken shack.

ReBoot Disc Golf
www.rebootdiscgolf.com

robbnot

Post by robbnot » Wed Jun 24, 2015 11:52 pm

We have a spot in the Royal Berkshire show, it will be a missed opportunity, if the BDGA hasn't got any bumf to give out,
We (H&Bdgc) will have leaflets/flyers/cards but this show is massive and it ain't all about us,
http://www.berkshireshow.co.uk/Show/index
BDGA#1007
PDGA#62797

gommog

Post by gommog » Fri Jun 26, 2015 10:51 am

Did anything ever happen with this? We're going to be giving disc golf demo's and kanjam at the Godiva festival in Coventry, of the 125,000 people that will attend at least half of them are going to walk past. I was going to get some leaflets printed but if someone has already made a start on them I'd be happy to see what they've got.
QP Hyzer Cup Champions 2010/2011
Eurasian and African kan jam champion 2014
Spanish Am Champion 2015

BDGA no.360
PDGA no. 46975

bruce

Post by bruce » Fri Jun 26, 2015 11:03 am

Hatton was on something
[Standard post disclaimer] My posts are never intended to undermine the work of the Board or individuals putting in effort to grow the sport, they are my honest thoughts on the best ways to grow the game

BDGA: 145
PDGA: 8824