Development Committee

Ideas for DG development, good news stories, requests for help etc
bruce

Development Committee

Post by bruce » Tue Nov 20, 2012 11:48 am

All

I'm pleased to announce we have created a Development Committee to progress the activities we have all been discussing in this forum.

We have elected to go down a broadly regional route with not too many voices so that we can stay focussed, but rest assured one of the first things we will be doing is to ensure we are engaged with all the various local clubs and activity areas.
Please don't think that we are excluding anyone, we may expand this list as activities progress.

We have a mailing list set up for us to discuss things between ourselves, and you can contact us via the BDGA site here: http://www.bdga.org.uk/contact-the-bdga/8-development

The members are as follows:
Board Liaison: Neil Webber
North: Chris O'Brien
Midlands: Derek Robins
South East: Neil Martin
South West: Matt Cutler
Consultant: Dan Whiteman

I'm sure most of the names are familiar to everyone but I thought it worth adding my thanks and a note on Dan's role; he has very kindly volunteered his expertise as a consultant after reading this forum. Dan learnt his DG trade at Essex and has been a rugby development officer for the RFU for the last 7 years, so has a wealth of knowledge that we are looking forward to tapping into.
[Standard post disclaimer] My posts are never intended to undermine the work of the Board or individuals putting in effort to grow the sport, they are my honest thoughts on the best ways to grow the game

BDGA: 145
PDGA: 8824

neil

Re: Development Committee

Post by neil » Tue Nov 20, 2012 9:59 pm

I think this is a fantastic idea, I was recently talking to a friend in Florida where they have something a little similar. I know you have said in your post that no one will be excluded but could i just ask, is this to provide development support to all Disc Golf in the UK or is it more of a BDGA affiliated thing. I am starting to get a list of players here (although non of them are regular at the moment unfortunately) and I have a couple of people helping push the sport but none of them are BDGA members. In my pursuit of local players I have been lucky enough to have been given great advice when I have asked for it especially from Del and Bruce and I have no reason to believe that this won't continue in the future but obviously with no members there is no financial gain for the BDGA itself. By the way, if anyone is interested have a look at our "like" page on Facebook, Harrogate Disc Golf.
I am really liking this Development idea and I think that it could be the turning point in British Disc Golf.

bruce

Post by bruce » Tue Nov 20, 2012 11:16 pm

Hi Neil (another one, are we the dominant force in UK disc golf by the way? Seems to be loads of us :))

This is absolutely for all DG, regardless of BDGA affiliation. Growing the game in general will lead to growing the BDGA as a natural consequence.

By the way, as BDGA associate membership is free, it would be great if you can get your guys & gals to sign up anyway, the more contacts we have the better
[Standard post disclaimer] My posts are never intended to undermine the work of the Board or individuals putting in effort to grow the sport, they are my honest thoughts on the best ways to grow the game

Neil M

Post by Neil M » Wed Nov 21, 2012 9:17 am

If someone is up for it is it worth having a London person?
BDGA: 362
PDGA: 46974

Jester

Post by Jester » Wed Nov 21, 2012 3:31 pm

Neil M wrote:If someone is up for it is it worth having a London person?
And someone for Scotland, Wales and NI?
Jester
BDGA #128
PDGA #8817
------------------------------------------------------
Croydon DGC: Hyzer Cup Champions 08/09, 13/14

bruce

Post by bruce » Wed Nov 21, 2012 3:35 pm

Jester wrote:
Neil M wrote:If someone is up for it is it worth having a London person?
And someone for Scotland, Wales and NI?
As previously stated, I would like to keep it to the current scale at the moment. If there is sufficient workload in a specific area to require additional resource, we will look to bring people in as needed.

Jester

Post by Jester » Wed Nov 21, 2012 3:43 pm

bruce wrote:As previously stated, I would like to keep it to the current scale at the moment. If there is sufficient workload in a specific area to require additional resource, we will look to bring people in as needed.
Perhaps I don't fully understand the Development Committee roll, but if a region is not represented be a member, won't the committee overlook this in their plans?

I don't believe the committee needs to be bigger, but seeing as the members already have geographical areas assigned to them, does it not make sense to add Scotland, Wales and NI to the areas of England already distributed so all of GB is considered?
Jester
BDGA #128
PDGA #8817
------------------------------------------------------
Croydon DGC: Hyzer Cup Champions 08/09, 13/14

Village

Post by Village » Wed Nov 21, 2012 4:32 pm

Jester wrote:
bruce wrote:As previously stated, I would like to keep it to the current scale at the moment. If there is sufficient workload in a specific area to require additional resource, we will look to bring people in as needed.
Perhaps I don't fully understand the Development Committee roll, but if a region is not represented be a member, won't the committee overlook this in their plans?

I don't believe the committee needs to be bigger, but seeing as the members already have geographical areas assigned to them, does it not make sense to add Scotland, Wales and NI to the areas of England already distributed so all of GB is considered?
are you calling Bruce a racist?
The worst thing about having a failing memory is.....no, its gone...

Running with scissors since 1977

BDGA 173 PDGA 8831

bruce

Post by bruce » Wed Nov 21, 2012 4:40 pm

Jester wrote:Perhaps I don't fully understand the Development Committee roll, but if a region is not represented be a member, won't the committee overlook this in their plans?

Not at all, the geographic assignments are merely for distributing work as and when we identify opportunities. So if someone calls from Aberdeen thinking about getting a course in, then Chris would be the main point of contact. Depending on where in Wales something is, it might go to Del or Matt. It's not about Neil scouting the SE looking for development opportunities, or being focussed narrowly on one area.

As has always been the case for the board, the new committee cannot generate opportunities, we are simply looking to bring things together into one place and follow them up, and to implement ideas that help deliver on those opportunities.