Manchester Disc Golf Course

Ideas for DG development, good news stories, requests for help etc
mat cutler

Manchester Disc Golf Course

Post by mat cutler » Thu Oct 25, 2012 7:35 pm

Had a really good talk with alan heckman who has been running DUFFA in manchester for years and they have recently been asked to develop a course at Longford park. It was the site of a pitch and putt golf course that the council can no longer afford to maintain - hence a disc golf course! :D

watch this space for more updates on this...

good candidate for my idea here
One idea I have had is to run a fundraising tournament in the location of a potential new course once a year as a supported BDGA Event with PDGA ratings* (maybe not tour event) go full out with banners, tee mats, demos, public have go sessions, coaching clinics etc. Potentially in the summer holiday window of tour events.

It would take a slightly different format to usual tournaments as I would ask as many players as possible to help out showing public how to play etc. a little less focus on your own play!

Funds raised could go towards promotion of new course, leaflets, posters, discs for local club to lend to new players, even baskets or tees if amounts raised were significant.

* Are Innova travellers recognised for rated rounds?

TheGroover

Re: Manchester Disc Golf Course

Post by TheGroover » Fri Oct 26, 2012 8:00 am

That's where the old Chevron boys play disc golf - they've already got 18 "holes" through the park. They wouldn't all work with baskets, but some of them certainly would. We should definitely get htem involved, and it might finally convince them to start coming to tournaments. They're still playng ultimate: don't they know they're too old and should be playing disc golf?
----------------
Keep up to date with Oxford's summer league...
Oxdisc blog: http://oxdisc.blogspot.com

dunc

Post by dunc » Sun Oct 28, 2012 9:01 am

I'd be happy to go on a reccy for this one weekend if anybody wants to join me?
The Treasurerrer..... hic!

PDGA #8822
BDGA #154

ChrisOBrien

Post by ChrisOBrien » Sun Oct 28, 2012 11:18 am

dunc wrote:I'd be happy to go on a reccy for this one weekend if anybody wants to join me?
I don't have any weekends free for some time, but have Monday 19th Nov (afternoon) in the diary to survey of Longford Park.
BDGA # 305
PDGA # 34659
Missing trees by 1mm, finding impossible gaps by mistake, these are some of my favourite things

Mark.A.D

Post by Mark.A.D » Sun Oct 28, 2012 12:57 pm

dunc wrote:I'd be happy to go on a reccy for this one weekend if anybody wants to join me?
Only 45 mins on a train if i could hitch a lift from the station
Hyzer Cup Champions 09/10, 10/11, 11/12, 12/13
BDGA #357
PDGA #45315

Paul Holden

Post by Paul Holden » Tue Nov 13, 2012 10:25 pm

Just seen this, could turn up at weekend and maybe Neil Halton as well.
Paul Holden
BDGA No. 307
PDGA No. 34662

bruce

Post by bruce » Tue Nov 27, 2012 11:35 am

ChrisOBrien wrote:
I don't have any weekends free for some time, but have Monday 19th Nov (afternoon) in the diary to survey of Longford Park.
Did this happen?
[Standard post disclaimer] My posts are never intended to undermine the work of the Board or individuals putting in effort to grow the sport, they are my honest thoughts on the best ways to grow the game

BDGA: 145
PDGA: 8824

ChrisOBrien

Post by ChrisOBrien » Thu Nov 29, 2012 1:54 pm

Yes, I visited last Monday afternoon. Had a good walk round and took pictures. It's an attractive space for a Disc Golf course. I had a chat with a park groundsman while I was there, the main issue is that it's waterlogged a lot of the time and this was a problem in its past life as a pitch and putt golf course (up to approx 2009). So teepads would be essential. There is scope for approx 9-12 holes within the old golf course area, and 12-18 holes if the course dipped into other nearby areas of the park. I have since had a positive discussion with the gentleman from Trafford Council. The project idea has already been passed up to senior council officers and other departments, so we're waiting to hear back from them. Meanwhile I'm trying to hook up with Alan Heckman of Duffa.

In summary -
Suitable site
Council may be keen to support
Good local links (Duffa)
Many schools in area
Funding yet to be found
BDGA # 305
PDGA # 34659
Missing trees by 1mm, finding impossible gaps by mistake, these are some of my favourite things

duffaSteve

Post by duffaSteve » Thu Jan 17, 2013 9:20 am

Hi all,

We've had some exciting news - it looks like we're being given the go-ahead to progress our plans for a disc golf course in Manchester.

I'm not directly involved in this - I'm just the Secretary from DUFFA but I've been following this thread. We're just putting our organising house in order at the moment but we'll definitely be looking for volunteers and committee members etc to help! If anyone is local please email info [@] duffa.org and I'll add you to the list.

We'll keep you posted!

Steve
DUFFA Secretary

rhatton1

Post by rhatton1 » Fri Dec 20, 2013 3:42 pm

Any further News on this?
www.discgolfuk.com
richard@discgolfuk.com
Home of the Midlands One Day Series
Talk to us about courses!

mat cutler

Post by mat cutler » Mon Feb 10, 2014 5:58 pm

from facebook:

Hello friends, want to help get a disc golf course organised in Manchester? We have a location, and in my garage there is a load of equipment ready to install. If you think you could come to an action planning meeting in the next couple weeks, please fill in the doodle poll!

We need to to talk about designing and building the course, setting up community outreach sessions, and finding funding to build a complete 18 hole course on the site. please pass this on to others who might be interested.

http://doodle.com/w66q3p3dvbg6stdq

Paul Holden

Post by Paul Holden » Tue Feb 11, 2014 9:22 pm

https://www.facebook.com/events/5396413 ... /?source=1

Could you help bring a disc golf course to Longford Park in Stretford? It is time to get organised! Our volunteer planning meeting will focus on seeing the site for the course and planning what we need to do. In particular, we will work on designing and building the course, organising community outreach events to teach people about disc golf, and applying for funding to build the best course in the UK!

Please reply to this event if you are planning to come, or send an email to info@ManchesterDiscGolf.co.uk. Let's get moving!
Paul Holden
BDGA No. 307
PDGA No. 34662

rhatton1

Post by rhatton1 » Tue Mar 18, 2014 9:41 am

Just had an email saying the first 3 baskets are going in at the end of this week.
www.discgolfuk.com
richard@discgolfuk.com

duffaSteve

Post by duffaSteve » Tue Mar 25, 2014 4:42 pm

News update:

Just reading back on this thread it doesn't actually explain what's happening - let me have a try.

Behind the scenes there's been a number of meetings and even a successful pitch and win at a funding event. The money awarded won't install 18 holes but rather allows MDG to reach for the full amount (e.g. run community outreach sessions, buy portable baskets and market the idea of bring disc golf to the area).

In short "Manchester Disc Golf" are proceeding to install a course in Longford Park. Interested parties are the council, DUFFA, Friends of Longford Park and (of course) the volunteers that have joined Manchester Disc Golf. A number of portable baskets have been bought and next week we install the first three permanent holes (albeit with no landscaping). From this starting point we'll then look to run a number of weekends where we set up a number of temporary holes around these three and build the idea and gather support. A number of volunteers are working on funding streams to install the other holes.

As for the wetness of the course - we've had discussions on this and there is a plan to reopen a stream through the site which would dramatically improve drainage.

For all interested parties please join our mailing list and perhaps even the working groups!
http://www.manchesterdiscgolf.co.uk/

* disclaimer - again I'm on the fringe of this but keep an eye on these forums!

Steve

duffaSteve

Post by duffaSteve » Fri Oct 17, 2014 2:05 pm

We have an exciting announcement coming on Monday.

Things are about to happen in Longford Park, Manchester but we're going to need all of your help!

Steve

duffaSteve

Post by duffaSteve » Wed Oct 22, 2014 6:37 pm

Manchester Disc Golf, a group made up of The Friends of Longford Park, DUFFA (Didsbury Ultimate Frisbee for Amateurs) and a healthy amount of other volunteers are pleased announce the launch of their crowd funding event to install the first 9 holes at Longford Park on the border of Stretford / Chorlton in sunny Manchester.

After a summer of open days (where we've used temporary baskets) we now need a 9-hole course to allow people to play at their own leisure and to build further support. Our aim is still for a full 18 hole course with landscaping and additional trees (improving biodiversity and additional areas for wildlife).

We'd appreciate any donation - and have a range of "perks" available from branded hoodies and discs to the opportunity to name a hole!

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/manc ... olf-course

Our campaign runs for another 26 days so don't delay! We'd like to get the nine-hole course in for Christmas!

duffaSteve

Post by duffaSteve » Tue Sep 08, 2015 3:45 pm

We (Manchester Disc Golf) are very excited to finally say construction on our course has now started!

After our successful crowd funder we won a big grant to do the full job. After a good number of months of the council and grant people to-ing and fro-ing (mainly the Council it must be said) the contractors are on site!

Really looking forward to inviting you all in a couple of months to come try the UK's shiniest new course!

mat cutler

Post by mat cutler » Thu Sep 10, 2015 8:47 am

awesome news!

duffaSteve

Post by duffaSteve » Mon Jul 04, 2016 8:04 am

Just to complete this thread.. we had our grand opening on Saturday.

There still some work to do by our contractors (we're waiting on permanent signage) but the course is open, we have semi-permanent signs installed, discs are available to hire in the café and Longford Park, Stretford now has a disc golf course.

It's free to play and open to all. If you come and visit please let us know - we'd love to get to know more of you!

Steve
MDG Treasurer and Committee volunteer.

rhatton1

Post by rhatton1 » Tue Jul 05, 2016 2:33 pm

So excited to come and play next month, congrats all of you involved in bringing this course to Manchester.
www.discgolfuk.com
richard@discgolfuk.com