Potential New Courses Thread

Ideas for DG development, good news stories, requests for help etc
rhatton1

Re: Potential New Courses Thread

Post by rhatton1 » Fri Apr 26, 2013 11:18 am

Really positive response from local council club and youth sports development team this morning, affiliated with the local leisure center. There is a meeting next week between them and Bedworth and Nuneaton council, the landowners, and we should hear more soon! Excited!
www.discgolfuk.com
richard@discgolfuk.com
Home of the Midlands One Day Series
Talk to us about courses!

gommog

Post by gommog » Fri May 03, 2013 8:44 pm

Coventry

Currently in the very early stages, i've contacted the sports development manager and the parks and open spaces manager and have had positive responses. They wanted to know costs and if there were any clubs in the area. I've started a facebook group to show there is local support for this and have applied for an award from Mars Milk for £300 to buy equipment so i can run sessions for youth groups in Moat House Park. It's quite an interesting place to play but is fairly small, this wouldn't be a tour level course but could fit an 18 hole course. There is a leisure centre at the park where disc's could be hired and cafe, toilets etc. I'm hoping to hear from the parks manager next week to see if he is keen.

Update

The council want me to look at the possibility of using Coundon Hall Park but have put the ball in my court in regards to funding, hopefully Bedworth will go through and show them what a good investment this would be.
Last edited by gommog on Tue May 28, 2013 12:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
QP Hyzer Cup Champions 2010/2011
Eurasian and African kan jam champion 2014
Spanish Am Champion 2015

BDGA no.360
PDGA no. 46975

andrewdouse

Post by andrewdouse » Sat May 04, 2013 11:35 am

Moat house looks interesting on google maps, and it's literally between 2 primary and one secondary schools.
BDGA# 373 PDGA# 51346

rhatton1

Post by rhatton1 » Fri May 17, 2013 12:09 pm

Bedworth Update

Tweedy had a very positive meeting this morning with the local councils sports and club development officer who went away very excited by the prospect and happy at the low cost of installing a course. He is looking at our maps of the course and meeting with his boss and the landowners later - from what Tweed was saying it looks really positive.

Lets hope for a 2014 tour stop!
www.discgolfuk.com
richard@discgolfuk.com

MampiSwift

Post by MampiSwift » Thu May 23, 2013 11:37 am

Another Bedworth update!

We have another meeting scheduled with the council next Thursday afternoon that myself and Mr Htoon will be attending .

Fingers crossed folks!
Quarry Park member.
BDGA number :354
PDGA number :45313
Hyzer cup 2009/10 champions
Hyzer cup 2010/11 champions
Hyzer cup 2011/12 champions
Hyzer cup 2012/2013 champions

robbnot

Post by robbnot » Sat Jul 27, 2013 12:58 am

Basingstoke, Down Grange

Our council are talking with another council (Bristol) who have a course already, about insurance and the running and impact of a course in a public park, so its looking pretty positive in Hampshire..... 8)
BDGA#1007
PDGA#62797

My disc golf makes your disc golf look great...

rhatton1

Post by rhatton1 » Thu Sep 12, 2013 2:39 pm

Bedworth course has been agreed in principle by the council! Woohoo. On to the funding side now.....Anyone got a spare bit of cash to hand :D Well done Tweedy for keeping pushing this on.
www.discgolfuk.com
richard@discgolfuk.com

Mark.A.D

Post by Mark.A.D » Thu Sep 12, 2013 3:19 pm

launch it with a one day event?
Hyzer Cup Champions 09/10, 10/11, 11/12, 12/13
BDGA #357
PDGA #45315

robbnot

Post by robbnot » Thu Sep 12, 2013 11:57 pm

R.E Bedworth, excellent news, well done Tweedy.........
how did you sway your council?, i'm just putting a proposal together for mine, but i'm a Discer not a writer 8) ............... How do you write a proposal, what do you put in it ?? :?
help....please
BDGA#1007
PDGA#62797

rhatton1

Post by rhatton1 » Mon Sep 16, 2013 8:40 am

I looked around for all the other leisure related things in the area rather than approach the council directly. Whilst bored at work after a brief google session I sent an ad hoc email to the Nuneaton and Bedworth Leisure trust (located in the leisure center on site) and they were immediately interested (It ticked all the boxes for at least two of the job roles listed on their site) they have since set up meetings with the council and pushed it through on our behalf. They are also looking into funding on our behalf. There is also a tie in with People in Action a charity which is involved in the park and has local Councillors on the staff which all helps in applying pressure!

Both NB + L and the people in Action like the idea of the course as giving something else for children and the disadvantaged/disabled something to do. One of the things we have pushed since the off is the inclusivity of the sport and how it can be played from a wheelchair or by the blind etc. etc. NB + L actually look after some kids that have been expelled from school and they are looking at it as an activity they can use to get these kids out and about and involved in something. I found pushing "the great for stopping anti social behaviour by giving a low cost /free activity for teens" to be quite a good line as well and something that seems to fit in with a lot of council related job roles at the moment.

I would suggest looking around and seeing who can help to approach the council rather than just being a group of 4 or 5 crazies approaching by yourself about this great sport no ones ever heard of!

Something i mentioned to Rich Wood at QP the other day as well is the amount of Lions/Rotary type clubs that come en masse to the Quarry Park on their social evenings before hitting the pub, normally 15 - 30 people. They have a great time going around with a few drinks and generally being more trouble than a group of 20 kids to look after... If you could organise an evening for these sort of groups there will almost certainly be someone in there with contacts for pushing stuff on with the council - on that note actually my new boss is the chair of a branch in Ilkley and was interested in doing a night like that up at Harrogate at some point next year if there would be any takers to show them around.

The other option and the one I had originally started to line up at Bedworth before life got in the way and NB + L came on baord is to organise evenings for local scout/youth/cadet groups to enjoy the course with one thing asked of them that they lobby the council on your behalf once you've given them a fantastic free evening of entertainment - youth groups love playing the sport - We've had huge groups turn up in the pouring wind and rain at QP before and all of them were still bouncing at the end wanting more. The beauty of having these sort of groups lobbying on your behalf is it shows an immediate need for the course and an obvious end user which helps to tick the right boxes, and again there is a lot more power in the voice of a recognised youth group than there is in an eclectic group of local "enthusiasts"
www.discgolfuk.com
richard@discgolfuk.com

rhatton1

Post by rhatton1 » Mon Sep 16, 2013 8:45 am

As for proposals - there are two recognised companies in the UK that design and install courses - both of them have provided us with excellent proposals + costings - Catch the Spirit - Chris O Brien and Disc Zoo Nige williams and Charle Mead. websites http://www.catchthespirit.co.uk/ http://www.disczoo.com/ These were both based on the actual course but I am sure they will both have good resources for you to use.

Speak to them and see what they can do - Disczoos proposal for us was incredibly innovative and tied in perfectly with what we were trying to sell to the council.
www.discgolfuk.com
richard@discgolfuk.com

rhatton1

Post by rhatton1 » Mon Sep 16, 2013 2:27 pm

Interesting Funding oppurtunity - N+ B Lesiure trust are applying for this on our behalf - Sita pay 89% of the cost through charitable tax breaks - 11% is made up by in our case the local council (i assume haven't got that far yet) You would struggle to see how the council could complain at paying 11% of the cost of something that will be of benefit for their local residents, especially when ongoing they could make a return from the disc hire. (don't think they could charge green fees to get this grant)

http://www.sitatrust.org.uk/community-funding

Worth a look as this is ongoing funding and a lot is put back each year in different areas.
www.discgolfuk.com
richard@discgolfuk.com

robbnot

Post by robbnot » Mon Sep 16, 2013 11:10 pm

Excellent, cheers for that , it is vry much appreciated,
They've Had the C.T.S Proposal and costings etc, and they like the idea of disc golf, but they are stuck on the Health and safety issue of someone getting clonked on the back of the head by a frisbee, So it's now going to consultation with local residents groups and youth groups etc, so i need a proposal to outweigh that negative point with loads of possitive points.
thanks Robb
BDGA#1007
PDGA#62797

bruce

Post by bruce » Tue Sep 17, 2013 4:46 am

Rob, one thing I found helpful to get around the H&S thing was to get them to come and have a go. Once they realise they they can't throw them more than 20m or so to begin with, and explain that by the time you get good enough to throw any distance that you have the control not to hit anyone, they seemed to relax about it.
[Standard post disclaimer] My posts are never intended to undermine the work of the Board or individuals putting in effort to grow the sport, they are my honest thoughts on the best ways to grow the game

BDGA: 145
PDGA: 8824

robbnot

Post by robbnot » Tue Sep 17, 2013 10:49 pm

bruce wrote:Rob, one thing I found helpful to get around the H&S thing was to get them to come and have a go. Once they realise they they can't throw them more than 20m or so to begin with, and explain that by the time you get good enough to throw any distance that you have the control not to hit anyone, they seemed to relax about it.
:D cool i'll see if i can get them to come and have a go, that is a very good point
BDGA#1007
PDGA#62797

rhatton1

Post by rhatton1 » Mon Oct 07, 2013 3:48 pm

Funding bid sent through to SITA today - fingers crossed everybody! Well done Tweedy for getting this done.
www.discgolfuk.com
richard@discgolfuk.com

rhatton1

Post by rhatton1 » Mon Oct 07, 2013 3:54 pm

Hi Robb,

Just googled the Basingstoke and Deane leisure trust which looks after some of the local leisure facilities on behalf of the council - their aims and objectives:

1. To further enhance the existing leisure facilities under the control of the Trust and
investigate opportunities to bring new facilities under the Trust’s management.

2. To manage our facilities to the best environmental standards at all times.

3. To raise the profile of the Community Trust with Council Members and other strategic
stakeholders.

4. To evidence robust governance at all times.

5. To work with key partners to promote health, activity and well being with a particular
focus on inclusion.

Getting my old CV writing cap on there is enough in Disc Golf to hit at least 4 of these core objectives, not sure if it would have any link into Down Grange but they are the equivalent of the N+ B Leisure trust that have helped us so much.
www.discgolfuk.com
richard@discgolfuk.com

rhatton1

Post by rhatton1 » Mon Oct 07, 2013 4:01 pm

http://www.activesussex.org/knowledge-b ... l-activity - Similar resource for the Sussex courses
www.discgolfuk.com
richard@discgolfuk.com

robbnot

Post by robbnot » Tue Oct 08, 2013 12:19 am

Thanks Rich, :D
BDGA#1007
PDGA#62797

rhatton1

Post by rhatton1 » Mon Dec 09, 2013 3:25 pm

Looks like Mount Edgcumbe at Torpoint in Plymouth may be installing something soon - https://www.facebook.com/FlyersDiscGolf

I'm sure Matt and Chris will tell us more when they are ready :D

Once this is in - everybody just go. Amazing place to throw a disc. So gutted not to have mine with me when we visited in September unbeknowingly standing on the tee of 9 staring longingly at the 400 yard treelined downhill fairway to the sea behind with a backdrop of the country house, thinking to myself what an amazing hole it would make... then after walking to the bottom finding out that that tee marker like object was, well, a tee marker and that I was in the middle of a course!

This is already playable to some objects and disc hire is available at the shop, but it looks like baskets may be on the horizon for 2014.

Only 8 days till we find out about Bedworths funding as well, exciting times for Disc Golf going into 2014.

Matt, what is the situation with Beanhill farm - is this playable now? Do you have any photos/maps and are there any costs?
www.discgolfuk.com
richard@discgolfuk.com