Development Ideas

Ideas for DG development, good news stories, requests for help etc
rhatton1

Re: Development Ideas

Post by rhatton1 » Tue Nov 06, 2012 3:18 pm

I emailed a similar thing to Bruce a couple of weeks ago:

If the BDGA could offer to put in a sum of money against any new course development it would certainly make it easier for all parties, even if it is only part funding.

What if we were to make a separate account for course funding.

Funds could be provided by a number of means:

1. £2 a head levy on all tournaments equal to around £800 a year. This I don't think would cause too much outcry if people knew where this money was going.
2. Private funding - There are many schemes out there now for investment in small projects, for no real return but helping the community.

Get a bank facility that can accept DD's and give people options for £5 a month £10, £20 £100 a month etc. donations.

Once a course is in the ground £5 a monthers get a tee named after them, £10 a Basket, £20 a hole £100 a course, which is the BDGA's only requirement of the course to receive the funding. That way there is an incentive for people to put money towards it.

I could spend out £10 a month without noticing it, probably even £20, from one person that's £240 a year and the cost of a basket, get 20 people paying in and you could do a course a year just from this alone.

There are already potential courses out there just needing this kick
www.discgolfuk.com
richard@discgolfuk.com
Home of the Midlands One Day Series
Talk to us about courses!

rhatton1

Post by rhatton1 » Tue Nov 06, 2012 3:19 pm

Call me vain but I would love a hole named after me, well ok another hole, one that doesn't begin ar$e
www.discgolfuk.com
richard@discgolfuk.com
Home of the Midlands One Day Series
Talk to us about courses!

bruce

Post by bruce » Tue Nov 06, 2012 3:29 pm

And they are!

Currently 40% of membership fees are used directly by the BDGA for insurance, membership fees of national bodies, annual trophies etc. 40% goes on PDGA membership. The remaining 20% as of this year will go towards the Youth Development fund agreed at the AGM. 1.5 pence per day, or 50p a month towards developing the game is not a great deal to ask in my view.

We will also be implementing a voluntary donation option when we do the main site update, I look forward to your largesse! :)
[Standard post disclaimer] My posts are never intended to undermine the work of the Board or individuals putting in effort to grow the sport, they are my honest thoughts on the best ways to grow the game

BDGA: 145
PDGA: 8824

West

Post by West » Wed Nov 07, 2012 8:35 am

I like the idea that Del put forward about following the idea of the PDGA but a bit lower to raise cash. It maybe worth giving an option to break it down over the year as trying to find £50+ lump sum all at once could be tricky but £5/£10 a month or £20 a quarter etc. is more manageable. This is why charities ask for £2/month as people won't notice it going out every month as it's just a price of a coffee a month.

This then lends itself to following on to Rich's point. I like the idea of donations equalling something back eg, name a hole with your name/website on etc. With this in mind we could then show potential sponsors this is what you can get for getting involved in the sport. For companies etc. we could break it down to financing an entire hole, half a course (so the name would be "blah blah park course sponsored by x and y") to maybe finance the entire course (so the name could be "The [company name] disc golf course at blah blah park") ? And then it would be showing giving back to the community in which they work/have an office.

Just a thought :)
"West"
PDGA: #8823
BDGA: #250
Twitter: @WestDiscGolf
BDGA DoC 2007 - 2011

bruce

Post by bruce » Wed Nov 07, 2012 9:41 am

Again that runs into to the same issue of direct debit guarantees etc that auto renewing memberships does; it's a bit of a financial minefield. Regarding the 'rewards', even nominal naming rights require a person or persons to track and implement it, and we're basically heading down the route of providing a new service with all that entails.

The idea at day (and year) 1 is to have some simple fund raising mechanisms that contribute to the fund agreed at the AGM. If they take off, we can look at expanding them and where we might direct funds
[Standard post disclaimer] My posts are never intended to undermine the work of the Board or individuals putting in effort to grow the sport, they are my honest thoughts on the best ways to grow the game

Jester

Post by Jester » Wed Nov 07, 2012 10:18 am

If it is felt some kind of recognition for donateratorers is appropriate, then perhaps an annually rewned list of birdie/eagle/ace club members on the BDGA site (ala the PDGA site) which costs nothing, and if more is desired then perhaps a bag tag or pin.
Jester
BDGA #128
PDGA #8817
------------------------------------------------------
Croydon DGC: Hyzer Cup Champions 08/09, 13/14

bruce

Post by bruce » Wed Nov 07, 2012 10:36 am

Jester wrote:If it is felt some kind of recognition for donors is appropriate, then perhaps an annually rewned list of birdie/eagle/ace club members on the BDGA site (ala the PDGA site) which costs nothing, and if more is desired then perhaps a bag tag or pin.
We would do this, unless the donater ticks an anonymity checkbox

LostMeow

Post by LostMeow » Wed Nov 07, 2012 11:09 am

(cough) donor (cough)
Tom
ND

bruce

Post by bruce » Wed Nov 07, 2012 11:11 am

LostMeow wrote:(cough) donor (cough)
You know, I typed that three different ways before I gave up. :oops:
I blame staying up til 3 watching the election.

[edit] And I'm not sufficiently proud to ninja edit, unlike others I could mention...

Jester

Post by Jester » Wed Nov 07, 2012 11:11 am

Updated. :) You learn something new everyday.
Jester
BDGA #128
PDGA #8817

Jester

Post by Jester » Wed Nov 07, 2012 11:15 am

bruce wrote:
You know, I typed that three different ways before I gave up. :oops:
I blame staying up til 3 watching the election.

[edit] And I'm not sufficiently proud to ninja edit, unlike others I could mention...
I am proudly sufficiently ninja to edit, unlike other slackers I could mention...
Jester
BDGA #128
PDGA #8817

bruce

Post by bruce » Wed Nov 07, 2012 11:29 am

Jester wrote:I am proudly sufficiently ninja to edit, unlike other slackers I could mention...
You did a rubbish job of it ;)

Also, you can't spell renewed either :P

Jester

Post by Jester » Wed Nov 07, 2012 1:00 pm

bruce wrote:
Jester wrote:I am proudly sufficiently ninja to edit, unlike other slackers I could mention...

Tell what I am good at though - match play in a final. :wink: Too soon?
Jester
BDGA #128
PDGA #8817

bruce

Post by bruce » Wed Nov 07, 2012 3:58 pm

I'll tell you what you're good at....

Smack talk :cry:

MampiSwift

Post by MampiSwift » Wed Nov 07, 2012 5:11 pm

Jester wrote:
bruce wrote:

Tell what I am good at though - match play in a final. :wink: Too soon?
Jesus Hester I felt that bitch slap from here !!! That was harsh!!!
Quarry Park member.
BDGA number :354
PDGA number :45313
Hyzer cup 2009/10 champions
Hyzer cup 2010/11 champions
Hyzer cup 2011/12 champions
Hyzer cup 2012/2013 champions

Jester

Post by Jester » Thu Nov 08, 2012 9:43 am

Mampi Swift wrote: Jesus Hester I felt that bitch slap from here !!! That was harsh!!!
Calling folk on smack talk, Tweedy? Pot, kettle, colour check methinks! :lol:
Jester
BDGA #128
PDGA #8817

mat cutler

Post by mat cutler » Thu Nov 08, 2012 9:49 am

Am I right in thinking the 5 year membership deal comes to and end this year? could we offer this again? and offer it every year?

bruce

Post by bruce » Thu Nov 08, 2012 10:17 am

Anyone who signed up for 5 years expires end 2013.

You can renew with the PDGA for up to 5 years at a time, so we can certainly include that option.

mat cutler

Post by mat cutler » Thu Nov 08, 2012 11:56 am

I'm guessing the pdga part costs the same but we could possibly take a very small hit on the bdga membership to give a discount to people above the paying the amount we charge this year x 5 compared to what it might go up to.

ie give 5% say off bdga part of the fee for those signing up for 5 years? we'll earn interest on this after all

mat cutler

Post by mat cutler » Thu Nov 08, 2012 12:01 pm

from the BDGA page:

*Type of membership required:
Associate (£ FREE)
Recreational (£12.00)
Touring - BDGA Amateur / PDGA Amateur (£30.00)
Touring - BDGA Open / PDGA Amateur (£30.00)
Touring - BDGA Open / PDGA Open (£36.00)

Click Here for more information (this link sends to a rules page about lost disc by the way!)

then have

5 Year Touring - BDGA Amateur / PDGA Amateur (£142.50) 5% saving and avoids future fee increases!
5 Year Touring - BDGA Open / PDGA Amateur (£142.50)
5 Year Touring - BDGA Open / PDGA Open (£171.00)