Development Ideas

Ideas for DG development, good news stories, requests for help etc
Neil M

Re: Development Ideas

Post by Neil M » Wed Oct 24, 2012 10:57 am

mat cutler wrote: I would happily stand as a development officer btw.
I think Matt would be a far better candidate for this role than me given his experience but would love to be involved in some respect.
BDGA: 362
PDGA: 46974

Neil M

Post by Neil M » Wed Oct 24, 2012 11:00 am

bruce wrote: I've created an application form for the youth group funding, any thoughts before I go live with it?
Maybe something about submitting a report after a year/6 months/whenever about the impact?

bruce

Post by bruce » Wed Oct 24, 2012 11:06 am

I was keen to keep it to a one pager, but you're right it lacks a request for contact details to do ongoing checks, good spot
[Standard post disclaimer] My posts are never intended to undermine the work of the Board or individuals putting in effort to grow the sport, they are my honest thoughts on the best ways to grow the game

BDGA: 145
PDGA: 8824

bruce

Post by bruce » Wed Oct 24, 2012 11:20 am

Thought this subject was worthy of it's own forum area...

Updated the form to include contact details, so the development team can follow up. I'd envisage approved grants being sent onto the development team.
[Standard post disclaimer] My posts are never intended to undermine the work of the Board or individuals putting in effort to grow the sport, they are my honest thoughts on the best ways to grow the game

Steve

Post by Steve » Wed Oct 24, 2012 11:22 am

Bruce, this new section seems to be forum members only to view. Intentional?
[url=http://www.shropdisc.co.uk/]Disc Golf In Shropshire[/url]

[color=red] BDGA # 266
[url=http://www.pdga.org/tournament/playerstats.php?PDGANum=8833&year=2007]PDGA # 8833[/url]
[/color]

rhatton1

Post by rhatton1 » Thu Oct 25, 2012 10:43 am

http://www.toynews-online.biz/news/3661 ... te-Frisbee

not sure if this has been posted previously, but certainly interesting news. has anyone ever used their golf discs and does anyone here stock them must surely be an opportunity for big business support here.

also they are doing this product still:

http://www.bookdepository.co.uk/Wham-o- ... 1604330939
www.discgolfuk.com
richard@discgolfuk.com
Home of the Midlands One Day Series
Talk to us about courses!

mat cutler

Post by mat cutler » Thu Oct 25, 2012 1:35 pm

One idea I have had is to run a fundraising tournament in the location of a potential new course once a year as a supported BDGA Event with PDGA ratings* (maybe not tour event) go full out with banners, tee mats, demos, public have go sessions, coaching clinics etc. Potentially in the summer holiday window of tour events.

It would take a slightly different format to usual tournaments as I would ask as many players as possible to help out showing public how to play etc. a little less focus on your own play!

Funds raised could go towards promotion of new course, leaflets, posters, discs for local club to lend to new players, even baskets or tees if amounts raised were significant.

* Are Innova travellers recognised for rated rounds?

Neil M

Post by Neil M » Thu Oct 25, 2012 1:42 pm

mat cutler wrote:One idea I have had is to run a fundraising tournament in the location of a potential new course once a year as a supported BDGA Event with PDGA ratings* (maybe not tour event) go full out with banners, tee mats, demos, public have go sessions, coaching clinics etc. Potentially in the summer holiday window of tour events.
Was talking about this last night and thin it's a great idea that could definitely work. It's all well and good people seeing 4 or 5 regular locals but a whole horde of us descending not to mention some quality players could really make people take notice I think.

Hopper

Post by Hopper » Thu Oct 25, 2012 2:47 pm

There is a lot of money out there for all sports, have just got a grant for Hockey and it was not too difficult. As a national body it shouldn't be too difficult. :D

bruce

Post by bruce » Fri Oct 26, 2012 10:02 am

A few thoughts in no particular order:

I'm more in favour of a general committee than overly specific roles, it can be more flexible and work can be shared as needed. Specific targets for for youth/course development rather than individuals

Uses for funding: supplementing travel to promotional days (e.g. Cliffhanger) is certainly a possibility, but could quickly spiral if we're not careful things like the planned day trip to Stroud should not be covered I don't think. Leaflets are a good idea, do we know who has/did the last version? Any volunteers to help update?

BDGA supported events: Not sure on the PDGA ratings part, as there is cost overhead and you need to ensure enough propagators, plus I'm dubious on travellers for PDGA sanctioning. The previous Winter Doubles tour was great for this kind of thing, you don't even need baskets necessarily you can play to trees etc. 2-3 winter 'outings', plus similar in the summer. Will probably be a club oriented thing, Croydon have done days to Brighton, Maidstone etc, QP/Bristol covering Stroud. Some organisation around regional support groups would help this. The 7 BDGA banners we have can be split up between the clubs.

Grants and funding: One of the difficulties in the BDGA applying for grants is that typically you need specific project details to get them. Local projects are better suited to direct application for grants as they have detail required. I'd love to apply for a £10K grant and then offer it out for projects but they won't let you do it that way as far as I've found.

Hopper

Post by Hopper » Fri Oct 26, 2012 12:37 pm

I have just been successful in an award for a club at hockey however they will only go for an established club, individuals with no safeguards cannot apply. Perhaps local councils could make the application but in the past the only one we have done for disc golf was through a club (Harwich Disc Golf), so perhaps better to set up lots of actual clubs where there are small pockets of players. We got £750 for discs and targets as well as prizes and discs for the kids. With the funding available recently for larger projects such as astro's and clubhouses I thought it might be possible for a bigger application from a national governing authority to help with spreading the word. Especially as several schools now are using disc sports in their lessons (Cant spell the other word) ! :D

West

Post by West » Fri Oct 26, 2012 8:36 pm

mat cutler wrote:One idea I have had is to run a fundraising tournament in the location of a potential new course once a year as a supported BDGA Event with PDGA ratings* (maybe not tour event) go full out with banners, tee mats, demos, public have go sessions, coaching clinics etc. Potentially in the summer holiday window of tour events.

It would take a slightly different format to usual tournaments as I would ask as many players as possible to help out showing public how to play etc. a little less focus on your own play!

Funds raised could go towards promotion of new course, leaflets, posters, discs for local club to lend to new players, even baskets or tees if amounts raised were significant.

* Are Innova travellers recognised for rated rounds?
As far as I am aware the travellers are sanctioned baskets as long as that's not changed in a while ...

However, I don't think sanctioning is needed. The events need to concentrate on growing the sport and helping people play ... so one or two established players per group helping n00bs out is the way to go I think :)
"West"
PDGA: #8823
BDGA: #250
Twitter: @WestDiscGolf
BDGA DoC 2007 - 2011

Hopper

Post by Hopper » Tue Oct 30, 2012 12:59 pm

Just another idea, if we could get one of the bigger sports shops to sell discs and an odd basket ie (JJB, Sports direct etc) who would have them on display it would open up the whole country to disc golf. If a child or adult saw a basket and discs for sale I am sure it would get alot more people interested. It just might be hard to get a big national involved. From demo's we have done it would be easier to send them to a local shop than give out cards for one of our three/ four retailers. Could go in the outdoor section ? Just a thought ?

rhatton1

Post by rhatton1 » Tue Oct 30, 2012 1:15 pm

Decathlon are selling disc golf things, allbeit not pdga sanctioned
www.discgolfuk.com
richard@discgolfuk.com
Home of the Midlands One Day Series
Talk to us about courses!

Hopper

Post by Hopper » Tue Oct 30, 2012 5:25 pm

Rich, who are decathalon, I wondered if we could convince a nationwide chain that we have enough interest to go for it. I am sure once in the shops in view people will buy and the interest will spread.

West

Post by West » Wed Oct 31, 2012 9:57 am

They've just opened a new store in Coventry (they've been going on about it for what seems like months on local radio) : http://www.decathlon.co.uk/en/store?sto ... mberMe=off

:)
"West"
BDGA DoC 2007 - 2011

West

Post by West » Wed Oct 31, 2012 9:59 am

They sell ultrastars on the website so maybe it wouldn't be too much effort to get them to think about disc golf?!
"West"
BDGA DoC 2007 - 2011

Hopper

Post by Hopper » Wed Oct 31, 2012 12:18 pm

Perhaps they would put up a poster for Del advertising Q Park in their display, certainly would help, at least it is a good start for your area ! and perhaps a step forward for the new course in Coventry !

andrewdouse

Post by andrewdouse » Wed Oct 31, 2012 1:26 pm

bruce wrote: Leaflets are a good idea, do we know who has/did the last version? Any volunteers to help update?

I've been asked to update the QP leaflets, so I would be happy to do BDGA leaflets as well.
BDGA# 373 PDGA# 51346

mat cutler

Post by mat cutler » Wed Oct 31, 2012 4:48 pm

Hopper wrote:Perhaps they would put up a poster for Del advertising Q Park in their display, certainly would help, at least it is a good start for your area ! and perhaps a step forward for the new course in Coventry !
Great idea putting the very small profits of del's disc shop in jeopardy to a massive international conglomerate! :shock: