Development Ideas

Ideas for DG development, good news stories, requests for help etc
Del

Development Ideas

Post by Del » Mon Oct 22, 2012 11:11 am

At the AGM, there were proposals to raise money for the BDGA to use in developing the sport, but how will the cash be used? Is there a development plan? I’m sure Bruce and the Board have a few ideas*, but it falls on all of us to give this some thought, so I’d like to spark off some discussion on the forum as to what we as individuals, or under the aegis of the BDGA, can do to push the sport forward.
I would suggest a large run* of full colour A4 tri-fold leaflets similar to ones printed previously. These would have space for over-printing or attachment of local information. To be most effective, the local supplement needs to have what advertising peeps refer to as a “call to action”. Ideally this would be an invitation to a “come and try disc golf” type event, where people could buy/borrow discs and get some coaching. The promotional event should make a bit of a splash, bringing in a bunch of established players with BDGA banners, and get some local press coverage. Even more ideally, this would be followed up by a series of coaching dates e.g. each Sunday morning between 10 and 12, someone will be on hand to welcome new players and have discs available.
It would be really good if we could get this to happen at those public courses which don’t have a player base, or at least very few players, e.g. Hornsea, Lea Valley, Glasgow and Harrogate. The stumbling block could be getting non-local players to commit to this, and I think that the BDGA could offer to pay travelling expenses for those people who are kind enough to donate their time.
The regular presence of someone with discs who can welcome new players and be the nucleus of a club will be a key factor in the ongoing success of the course, and we can’t guarantee that such an individual will emerge. We can, though, support them with some club discs to be borrowed, and they could have a sale or return arrangement on discs for sale, the profit on which might act as an incentive for their continued involvement, or which they might put into club funds.
That’s my 2p worth. Any other ideas?
*A proposal was passed to use some ring-fenced funds to subsidise discs in schools in the locality of existing courses, so if you know some suitable candidate schools for that, then get in touch with the BDGA board.
Derek Robins
Quarry Park Disc Golf

Neil M

Re: Development Ideas

Post by Neil M » Tue Oct 23, 2012 2:07 pm

I've been briefly looking at other sports governing bodies websites to see what is out there and one thing I did notice is that all link to Sport England and are recognised by Sport England. Why are we not recognised? Have we never applied?

They also have much more in depth sites with features about getting involved, equipment needed etc. I think that a key factor in raising our profile should be the development of a better website/other publicity. The front page is very static it would be nice to have something that updates more regularly. I know we are limited in terms of tour events but I'm sure we could have smaller news articles or general disc golf news. It would mean a few people in each region writing small pieces every now now and then but I'm sure it is manageable.

Does the BDGA have a Vision or Mission Statement?

Maybe a list of key contacts in different areas of the country - I know we have the course directory but maybe just a simple list to go alongside it.
BDGA: 362
PDGA: 46974

Neil M

Post by Neil M » Tue Oct 23, 2012 2:24 pm

Also see my "Youth Development" thread.

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1451

Neil M

Post by Neil M » Tue Oct 23, 2012 2:36 pm

Del's mention of a development plan is a crucial point I think. Do we have one? If not why not and when will we have one in place? I think if we had a plan with some key measurable objectives then it would enable us to focus on developing in a much more meaningful fashion. eg. 3 more permanent courses in the ground by end of 2013.

bruce

Post by bruce » Tue Oct 23, 2012 2:50 pm

We have looked into the Sport England recognition (actually it's all 4 UK bodies), it is a pretty lengthy and complex process and we are hampered by number of things: http://www.sportengland.org/about_us/re ... _ngbs.aspx

I think it is ultimately achievable but would require all the resources of the board for probably 2-3 years to get us there, and I'm not sure we would see the benefit.

The website is our public face I agree, and it really could be better. In fact before we had the virus issues 18 months or so ago it was a lot better but the more limited site that survived the lockdown and relaunch is not as capable and lacks much of the original content. As with all things however it is volunteer driven, and as helpful as Nige is he hasn't had the time to look at the BDGA site whilst simultaneously running a business. Any other volunteer offers gratefully received!

Given how much effort Rich has to put in just to get the newsletter content I'm less than convinced we have willing teams around the regions ready to write content, but I'm prepared to be surprised. Rich can update the front page if he receives any stories...
[Standard post disclaimer] My posts are never intended to undermine the work of the Board or individuals putting in effort to grow the sport, they are my honest thoughts on the best ways to grow the game

BDGA: 145
PDGA: 8824

Neil M

Post by Neil M » Tue Oct 23, 2012 2:51 pm

Perhaps identifying a Development Team/Committee or something similar. I am sure there are a number of members out there who would be happy to help with development but would benefit from some central guidance/direction/support.

Neil M

Post by Neil M » Tue Oct 23, 2012 2:54 pm

bruce wrote: Given how much effort Rich has to put in just to get the newsletter content I'm less than convinced we have willing teams around the regions ready to write content, but I'm prepared to be surprised. Rich can update the front page if he receives any stories...
Perhaps people will be more willing to send smaller news items though? Rather than lengthy tournament reports. Just small stuff to keep the front page ticking over. News from the various clubs - eg. league winners etc. one day events

bruce

Post by bruce » Tue Oct 23, 2012 3:24 pm

Neil M wrote:Del's mention of a development plan is a crucial point I think. Do we have one? If not why not and when will we have one in place? I think if we had a plan with some key measurable objectives then it would enable us to focus on developing in a much more meaningful fashion. eg. 3 more permanent courses in the ground by end of 2013.
I think Derek's point was that this thread could form some of the bones of a plan, rather than criticising the board for not having one.

Ultimately there is one high level goal:
Grow the number of people playing disc golf

Beyond that there are a number of strategies to do that:
Support members and other interested parties in the development of new disc golf facilities
Support club development including assistance with insurance
Youth development activities:
-Accredited coaching scheme
-Provision of insurance cover for coaching activities
-Provision of CRB checks
-New discs for youth groups initiative
The Tour
Support for other non-tour events

I would have an issue with specific goals such as "X courses by Y date", as too many of the factors in achieving such goals are out of the board's control. I'm sure I could knock up some words around the discs for youth groups thing, but it would be a little bit cart before the horse.

To be honest the main proposal I put to the AGM at the weekend (I will get the minutes typed up soon, I promise) was the one around agreeing to target raising £1000+ per year. Until such time as that is a reality I'm not sure how much use a plan is as we do not know what resources we have available.
[Standard post disclaimer] My posts are never intended to undermine the work of the Board or individuals putting in effort to grow the sport, they are my honest thoughts on the best ways to grow the game

rhatton1

Post by rhatton1 » Tue Oct 23, 2012 3:59 pm

On your fund raiser plan, a commitment from the major clubs to run one day or similar non tour events a couple of times a year could easily part fund this. i think currently the one day tax is £1 a head but if we were to organise smaller tournaments a longer time in advance we could easily generate £50 -60 a tournie through a £2 levy per head (im expecting circa 30 people next weekend on fairly short notice) If the 4 main clubs were to do this each twice a year that's potentially an extra £400 -500 a year to the BDGA.

i would love to see some of the other smaller clubs, Shrewsbury/Oxford etc putting on one day tournies using travellers + existing baskets as well, there would definitely be car loads for this from QP and could put more money in to the coffers.

i still see no reason why Essex 1st weekend of the month croydon 2nd weekend of the month and QP 3rd couldn't do a monthly PDGA rated round with £1 towards BDGA insurance and £1.50 or whatever required towards PDGA fees for a rated round ( to give it more of a draw.)

£2.50 isn;t going to break anyones bank but puts much needed fees into the coffers.
thoughts?
www.discgolfuk.com
richard@discgolfuk.com
Home of the Midlands One Day Series
Talk to us about courses!

Neil M

Post by Neil M » Tue Oct 23, 2012 5:03 pm

bruce wrote: I think Derek's point was that this thread could form some of the bones of a plan, rather than criticising the board for not having one.

Ultimately there is one high level goal:
Grow the number of people playing disc golf
I didn't mean to sound like I was criticising the board for not having a plan (apologies if it did) but I do think it is crucial that one exists. I don't really agree that without funds and resources a plan is irrelevant as surely the first part of that plan is then how do we raise that money and resources which was already raised at the AGM so the first part of the "plan" is at least underway.

You are absolutely right about the ultimate goal but it is a fairly nebulous all encompassing goal with no specifics. How we achieve that goal is where the details of a solid development plan comes in surely. The x number of courses by x date target was just an example but I do think it is important to have measurable and achievable targets. There are many external factors taht are out of the boards control but if we are reviewing our targets and looking at the reasons why particular targets have not been reached and what we can do to change that then the opportunities for development will increase.

Neil M

Post by Neil M » Tue Oct 23, 2012 5:12 pm

I also think that a key in development is us having these kinds of discussions on a regular basis. It would be nice to see the forum much busier with us all talking about what we can do or offer for the development of the game. I think one issue is that often we do not communicate with each other between tour events apart from within our respective clubs. Lots of great ideas and enthusiasm comes out of talking at tournaments but often the momentum can be lost when people get back home and life starts again! This is certainly something that would apply to me and perhaps others who live away from an established permanent course.

Neil M

Post by Neil M » Wed Oct 24, 2012 8:08 am

Is there any mileage in doing an audit of members to see what skills/services members might have to offer in terms of supporting development?
eg. teachers/youth workers - for youth development stuff, web designers, printers etc.

bruce

Post by bruce » Wed Oct 24, 2012 9:34 am

Certainly not a bad idea. I wanted to survey the membership on certain things last year and got as far as registering with surveymonkey but no further.

Sorry if I sound negative, I'm just aware of the limited resources and volunteer burn-out rate having lived it for the last 8 or so years!

I've listed some strategies above, feel free to suggest any additions.

A few suggested goals to fit under the ultimate goal then:
To appoint a development officer (Neil, you volunteering?)
Above officer to collate development and local news stories and publish via Facebook, Forum and BDGA front page (Quarterly? Monthly?)
To raise £1000+ annually to support development
To achieve 10% membership growth annually
To achieve 10% course growth annually

Any other thoughts?

rhatton1

Post by rhatton1 » Wed Oct 24, 2012 10:21 am

Would be easier if we had one course funding officer that can direct people or do it for them into how to set up funding from organisations such as http://www.awardsforall.org.uk/england/summary.html

It would appear that one organisation can get a grant a year, so potentially the BDGA could fund a course a year if this could be set up.
www.discgolfuk.com
richard@discgolfuk.com

bruce

Post by bruce » Wed Oct 24, 2012 10:26 am

From their site: What can't we fund?
Last item is "projects where the main purpose is to increase participation in sports, arts or heritage." :?

rhatton1

Post by rhatton1 » Wed Oct 24, 2012 10:30 am

Ok Sport England then do pretty much the same funding platform but specifically for growing sport.

Why have we not joined up, the application process doesn't look too onerous?
www.discgolfuk.com
richard@discgolfuk.com

Neil M

Post by Neil M » Wed Oct 24, 2012 10:37 am

rhatton1 wrote:Would be easier if we had one course funding officer that can direct people or do it for them
I think this is a great idea. The prospect of applying for funding is quite a daunting one that I would imagine involves a huge amount of work. If we had someone centrally responsible then we could have standard literature etc. to help with the funding procedure.

mat cutler

Post by mat cutler » Wed Oct 24, 2012 10:48 am

I'm currently putting a report together on the make up of players of disc golf in the UK. using data collected from the associate bdga membership web form and the bdga membership database. This will hopefully show the distribution of players across the uK and show spots where courses would be a success.

I would happily stand as a development officer btw.

I too had the idea of a member skills directory along the lines of the http://www.streetbank.com/ in which disc golfers can share their details of skills they have, time they have to volunteer, equipment they have baskets, strimmers, trailers, large vans etc. Something I think we do fairly well by word of mouth between current touring players and friends on the tour but as the memberbase grows it's sometimes difficult to know ho to ask etc.

Neil M

Post by Neil M » Wed Oct 24, 2012 10:55 am

bruce wrote: A few suggested goals to fit under the ultimate goal then:
To appoint a development officer (Neil, you volunteering?)
Above officer to collate development and local news stories and publish via Facebook, Forum and BDGA front page (Quarterly? Monthly?)
To raise £1000+ annually to support development
To achieve 10% membership growth annually
To achieve 10% course growth annually
I'm happy to help in whatever way I can in terms of development. I think the best way to proceed would be to have a development committee/tem rather than one person as there are probably a variety of distinct strands within "development". I know we are limited in terms of volunteers but we must surely be able to round up 5-10 members who would be happy to form this team?

bruce

Post by bruce » Wed Oct 24, 2012 10:55 am

I was just about to say that we were not short of jobs being created but rather short of volunteers to fill them when Matt and Neil raised their hands. Damn you for taking the edge off my cynicism ;)

I've created an application form for the youth group funding, any thoughts before I go live with it?
https://docs.google.com/document/d/11QV ... 2dSsk/edit