Youth Development

Ideas for DG development, good news stories, requests for help etc
Neil M

Youth Development

Post by Neil M » Mon Oct 22, 2012 9:29 am

I've been thinking about this a lot and it was brought to the fore at the AGM on Saturday as an area for serious attention in the future.
Has anyone ever done an audit of disc golf/sports provision in schools and other youth organisations? There are several people on the tour that are already doing stuff with schools, youth groups etc. If we collate this information then we would have a starting point and something from which to measure success. We could potentially focus any potential sponsorship money on those existing projects or not. Chris and I were talking about opportunities for competitive play and it would be great to establish a few pockets of significant activity and then set up some inter group hyzer cup style comps between them.

I believe an issue we face is that it appears that no one is co-ordinating youth development so we have isolated pockets of activity with no central hub. If a "youth development officer" type post was created do you think this would help?
BDGA: 362
PDGA: 46974

Neil M

Re: Youth Development

Post by Neil M » Mon Oct 22, 2012 9:31 am

My school have in the last couple of weeks launched disc golf as part of their curriculum across Year 7-11 which is great. Hoping to get into some PE lessons soon and do some work with them. It means I can relaunch disc golf as an extra curricular activity with everyone being aware of what it is :D
BDGA: 362
PDGA: 46974

ChrisOBrien

Post by ChrisOBrien » Mon Oct 22, 2012 1:46 pm

Nice one Neil. Youth Development Officer role is a good idea that I have been thinking about too for quite some time.

Working to develop competitive pockets makes sense, possibly with regular comps among local schools and a regional comp that leads to a central national comp at QP by incorporating within existing QP tour events as we build up the number of keen young players.

Of course, it keeps coming back to the need for more courses in the ground, so it's a chicken and egg thing - a case of working on both course and player development in unison is the way forward as I see it.

To get the discussion going...

YDO Roles:

Gathering info about youth DG Activity and establishing regular communication channels in 'priority pockets'
Presenting the current national picture of what's going on to BDGA members and wider public
Enabling and supporting potential organisers of local comps
Coordinating regional and national comps (possibly even international further down the line)
Creating opportunities for skill development for leaders/teachers/young players
Enabling the 'voice' of the young players to be heard so they, even at a young age, help with the navigation of the sports future in the UK
Establish dialogue on Youth Development issues/projects/best practice with the PDGA and our neighboring European countries

Bonus qualities: Be a role model to young players: Play tidy Disc Golf, be positive, know the rules well and adhere to them. Avoid swearing, smoking or excessive alcohol consumption in the presence of junior players (at tournaments for example).
BDGA # 305
PDGA # 34659
Missing trees by 1mm, finding impossible gaps by mistake, these are some of my favourite things

Del

Post by Del » Wed Oct 24, 2012 12:25 pm

I think it was maybe a couple of years ago that there was a huge number of portable baskets provided to some place in east anglia. I think they were destined for schools, though I'm not entirely sure. Chris, have you heard any more from those people?
Derek Robins
Quarry Park Disc Golf

ChrisOBrien

Post by ChrisOBrien » Wed Oct 24, 2012 8:39 pm

Del wrote:I think it was maybe a couple of years ago that there was a huge number of portable baskets provided to some place in east anglia. I think they were destined for schools, though I'm not entirely sure. Chris, have you heard any more from those people?
Do you mean Chris Rowland? It was Chris who told me about it. Approx 90 targets I think he said. Considering there are so many surely some of them fell on fertile ground...?
BDGA # 305
PDGA # 34659
Missing trees by 1mm, finding impossible gaps by mistake, these are some of my favourite things

Del

Post by Del » Thu Oct 25, 2012 8:17 am

I guess it must have been Nige that supplied the baskets then. I'll drop him a line.
Derek Robins
Quarry Park Disc Golf

Hopper

Post by Hopper » Thu Oct 25, 2012 2:44 pm

It was Nige who supplied the baskets and discs and yes they are still used, have had them visit Essex uni and am still in touch with the SSCo. It was mid suffolk middle schools. I have been to Stowmarket on a number of occasions. Think they mainly use them in spring term.