Learn to approach

Any chat about technique, training methods, requests for advice etc.
rhatton1

Post by rhatton1 » Thu May 06, 2010 9:10 am

I find they don't care where it goes as long as they go faaaaaarrrrrrr!

Although I was showing a stag do how to play on saturday and did the whole this is how you throw spiel then nailed a laser in the chains from 30 meters, which was nice. I then almost decapitated one of the same group with a throw from 6 as they were walking down the fairway of seven. they must be the only people in the UK who actually think i'm good....
www.discgolfuk.com
richard@discgolfuk.com
Home of the Midlands One Day Series
Talk to us about courses!

ManicMinerUK

Post by ManicMinerUK » Fri Jul 09, 2010 10:11 am

Hi guys... guess what I've now decided my problem is?

In seriousness though, from personal observation during my last few rounds at QP I've decided that my approach play is the biggest leak in my game at the moment. My drive isn't perfect by any means but its a lot more consistent than it was a few weeks ago and so its time to start turning those middle of the fairway drives into threes not fours.

My problem is judging distance/power. At the moment I am severely underthrowing most of my approaches, and leaving myself impossible putts. I think this is because I basically have two throws, my full drive which goes about 70 metres, and my approach form, which goes about 15-20 metres. There's a big gap between the two that I've never really found a way of bridging, and this is why I am dropping short on the 30-40 metre approaches I am looking at after a "good" drive.

All other things being equal, I tend to throw my approaches anhyzer. I can't quite figure out when I started this habit but an annie approach seems more forgiving of line/distance errors. If you have over-tilted the disc you will often catch and edge and spiral back in towards the hole, and the more you over-tilt the disc, the further it seems the disc will spiral back in. I find this very comforting as it seems like it gives a wide margin of error on these shots.

Basically I'm just looking for some advice on how to deal with those tweener distance shots where your driving form is too long but its still long enough that you know you are going to have to give it some snap. Any reliable methods for taking distance off your driving form without ruining sacrificing accuracy? Or an alternative method that can be used to go further than my usual approach form?

Mark.A.D

Post by Mark.A.D » Fri Aug 27, 2010 9:34 am

Hyzer Cup Champions 09/10, 10/11, 11/12, 12/13
BDGA #357
PDGA #45315

james

Post by james » Wed Sep 01, 2010 5:57 pm

Ok as we all know i can throw a long way and my putting isn't all that bad either, the ony weakness in my game was approaching i couldnt work line or distance, this was until i played a round with feldberg who taught me the technique and then with Jester who opened my eyes to the joys of a roc.
simple as its just about lining up your body into the correct dimension, don't even think about a run up because it throws you off completely going to that short distance. An approach is simply just a casual pull slow you're entire body down and work on where you are putting it, if there is enough spin the disc will do the rest.
Ken Climo isn't the only Champ.

"You don't win friends with salad" Homer Simpson

BDGA #135
PDGA #8856

BOF

Post by BOF » Wed Sep 01, 2010 8:53 pm

james wrote:Ok as we all know i can throw a long way and my putting isn't all that bad either, the ony weakness in my game was approaching...
[Priest] James, allow us to kneel at your altar and present to you these humble votive offerings.

Tell us once more, Oh Great One, how you overcame your only weakness.

Grant that we too may strive to follow in your path and seek the only true way to greatness.

[Disciples] Yes, Dude.

[Priest] Oh James,

[Disciples] You are so great

[Priest] Latitude,

[Disciples] ...sixty-four

[Priest] Here endeth da lesson.

[Discples] Innit

Book of James, Chapter 18, Par 3

Translated by BOF

Big Grin
BDGA #33
PDGA #8835

http://www.ashvillediscgolf.co.uk

james

Post by james » Wed Sep 01, 2010 8:56 pm

again, im insulted! i dont think in my life i have ever said "innit"
face it people you have lost me to the ways of latitude and i will never be the same, now i have overcome my weaknesses, nothing is to stop me over the next few years conquering this country then on to europe!

BDGA #135
PDGA #8856

BOF

Post by BOF » Wed Sep 01, 2010 10:34 pm

I like that fighting talk, James. Keep it coming!

BOF

Big Talk
BDGA #33
PDGA #8835

http://www.ashvillediscgolf.co.uk

West

Post by West » Thu Sep 02, 2010 7:32 am

He's all positive now but school starts up again this week and there will be a new girl and James will loose his heart to her and be like "disc what?" ;-)
"West"
PDGA: #8823
BDGA: #250
Twitter: @WestDiscGolf
BDGA DoC 2007 - 2011

rhatton1

Post by rhatton1 » Thu Sep 02, 2010 7:33 am

Girl?
www.discgolfuk.com
richard@discgolfuk.com
Home of the Midlands One Day Series
Talk to us about courses!

West

Post by West » Thu Sep 02, 2010 7:55 am

rhatton1 wrote:Girl?
True. Sorry. Miss spoke :twisted:
"West"
PDGA: #8823
BDGA: #250
Twitter: @WestDiscGolf
BDGA DoC 2007 - 2011

james

Post by james » Thu Sep 02, 2010 9:07 am

West wrote:
rhatton1 wrote:Girl?
True. Sorry. Miss spoke :twisted:
Tough talk from the only civil partnership in disc golf :)
I will have you know i don't go back to school for another 2 weeks so i'm perfectly fine till then, problem is guys i'm so amazing the future of disc golf rests on my reproductive skills :)

BDGA #135
PDGA #8856

Jester

Post by Jester » Thu Sep 02, 2010 9:51 am

james wrote:problem is guys i'm so amazing the future of disc golf rests on my reproductive skills :)
If it really does we're going to end up with a lot of little discgolfer resembling your right hand...
Jester
BDGA #128
PDGA #8817
------------------------------------------------------
Croydon DGC: Hyzer Cup Champions 08/09, 13/14