New Oxford basket course

Disc Golf in and around Oxford
jet_jedi

New Oxford basket course

Post by jet_jedi » Wed Jul 05, 2006 3:14 pm

So this is really just to migrate my topic from the general forum...

I am in contact with an officer of the Oxford parks service regarding getting a basket course started in oxford. Not much progress as yet, but have made an initial contact

I currently need some written literature to send to the officer if possible-anyone who can help please do so!

Any other help/suggestions/advice welcomed particularly:

-any suggestions as to a good location -the site of the current natural 12-holers or somewhere else?
-approximately how much space do we need? (in acres)
(thats the main issue at the moment)
-any idea what it would cost?
-where can we get good but not overly expensive baskets?
-if we get a location then we will need to think about layout...

anyhow, literature and locations please! :)

thx

TheGroover

Post by TheGroover » Wed Jul 05, 2006 8:59 pm

Hi,
Why don't we wait until next wednesday and have a chat then? There have been efforts made in the past, and there's lots of knowledge shared between several of us.

Meet us next Wednesday at 6.30pm at the bench in South Park at the bottom of the hill (see the link below for details of the Oxdisc playing locations)

Cheers,

Andy
----------------
Keep up to date with Oxford's summer league...
Oxdisc blog: http://oxdisc.blogspot.com

jet_jedi

Post by jet_jedi » Thu Jul 06, 2006 9:36 am

Chatting next week is definitely a good idea, and of course the regular oxford players (like yourself Andy) will have a big input in anything to do with planning a new course. However, one of the reasons I decided to put a forum notice up is so anyone else (not necessarily from oxford) can add their thoughts/knowledge. I think the more people who get involved the better...hope that makes sense

Anyhow, look forward to discussing it next week and finding out (to paraphrase the infamous Donald Rumsfeld) what we know we know, what we know we dont know and what we dont know we dont know... :roll:

Think I might have a go a building myself a basket now I have my discs.. :D

bruce

Post by bruce » Thu Jul 06, 2006 11:57 am

jet_jedi wrote:Chatting next week is definitely a good idea, and of course the regular oxford players (like yourself Andy) will have a big input in anything to do with planning a new course. However, one of the reasons I decided to put a forum notice up is so anyone else (not necessarily from oxford) can add their thoughts/knowledge. I think the more people who get involved the better...hope that makes sense

Anyhow, look forward to discussing it next week and finding out (to paraphrase the infamous Donald Rumsfeld) what we know we know, what we know we dont know and what we dont know we dont know... :roll:

Think I might have a go a building myself a basket now I have my discs.. :D
Seeing as you're keen, and I'd hate to discourage that, here's my £0.02 :)

There are basically three main challenges:
1) Finding a location
2) Persuading the Authorities to give you permission
3) Funding the installation

As far as 1) goes, there are already a couple of courses, but they're not really suitable as is. They were designed to be played to trees and it shows when baskets are put in, a lot of the holes lose their character and challenge. So you could redesign what is there already, or you can look for a totally different venue. The locals will be best placed to help with that.

2) A good source for information is the PDGA site, although it's a little wordy and maybe not suitable for initial approaches.
Also very useful is this section on the Innova site. But at the end of the day it'll come down to your enthusiasm and persuasiveness pitted against their reluctance and concerns...

3) There seems to be a general push for better utilisation of public spaces, plus government concern over public health, which means there are a few grants out there you might be able to make use of. Talk to Richard at Croydon Discgolf, they're basically doing exactly what you want to do, but have got past the approval stage...

Remember that in this country at the moment there is virtually no awareness of DG, so people won't be particularly accommodating. Don't shoot for the moon trying to get a championship standard 18 hole course put in; sell them on DG as a healthy, environmentally friendly activity, fun for all the family. If you can only get a little 9-hole pitch-and-putt, that's still great, it's the thin end of the wedge! Besides when you go to play it with your mates, you can play it jungle, tee of 1 to pin of 3 etc to increase the challenge :D

Good luck with it!

TheGroover

Post by TheGroover » Sat Jul 08, 2006 11:09 am

Hi Bruce,
Good post above!

I'm interested in why you think the oxford course doesn't work with baskets? Clearly there's some issues with crossovers, but I don't understand why you think the basket placements are an issue.

Care to expand?
----------------
Keep up to date with Oxford's summer league...
Oxdisc blog: http://oxdisc.blogspot.com

bruce

Post by bruce » Sat Jul 08, 2006 12:45 pm

TheGroover wrote:Hi Bruce,
Good post above!

I'm interested in why you think the oxford course doesn't work with baskets? Clearly there's some issues with crossovers, but I don't understand why you think the basket placements are an issue.

Care to expand?
Basically, the challenge on several of the holes is purely down to the size, or lack thereof, of the tree you're aiming for.
A hole that's two-able because the target is 6 feet across is much less two-able when a basket is put in, and becomes a dull par 3. Drive, lay-up, putt, instead of drive, have a run from 30m because you know you can make the 15m return.
Likewise a very tough two on a 2-inch wide sapling becomes much easier on a basket.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying the courses are beyond redemption, but they would definitely need some rework.

jet_jedi

Post by jet_jedi » Mon Sep 25, 2006 9:58 am

Hi everyone,

Long time no see an all that-exams, summer hols etc, and I've moved to Cambridge now... :?

Anyhow, I'm still mulling over the Oxford basket course idea and need to chase up the Parks chap I was emailing before. Similar to bruce, I think there are 3 basic elements to any proposal:
1. We need a suitable location for the course (council need to agree site)
2. We need to design a suitable course layout (council need to agree layout wrt footpaths etc)
3. We need to install the baskets (council and ourselves need to agree on funding issues)
Each of these is a discrete step forward so perhaps we can think about (and agree on) each point seperately...

So, where would be the most suitable location? I know we already have 12-hole natural courses, but is it best to convert an existing course to baskets or look elsewhere? Are those parks large enough to accomodate an 18 hole course? Are they rather busy? Are there any other locations that might work well? (anyone considered a course in the University Parks or is that a silly idea?)

I'd be glad to have some input from others since I'm still very much an amateur! If I can give John a few possible locations, then he can say whether it is maybe just possibly feasible... :D

Dan

West

Post by West » Fri Feb 15, 2008 12:11 am

Just noticed a reply on another thread somewhere else on the forum (in the london section) and had a quick glance at the history and noticed something about this Oxford course possibility.

Did anything come of it? Did it not get any traction? or is it just slow moving? :)
"West"
PDGA: #8823
BDGA: #250
Twitter: @WestDiscGolf
BDGA DoC 2007 - 2011