Worlds Biggest - Do Your Bit for Charity and DG Promotion

Winter Doubles and one off doo's.
Get your non BDGA tour/result announcements in here!
Del

Worlds Biggest - Do Your Bit for Charity and DG Promotion

Post by Del » Tue Mar 20, 2007 6:35 pm

Hi All,

I am intending to run a Charity Fundraiser at Quarry Park in conjunction with Worlds Biggest DG Weekend. The idea is to sell as many charity fundraiser discs as possible, principally to new people, and encourage them to come and play on either the first or second weekends in May.

Discs would retail at £7 of which £3.50 or all profit (whichever is greater) would go to charity. Along with the disc would be an invite to come along to a local event on one of the weekends. The invite would be customised by the local club. It might be a Sunday afternoon clinic, or a whole weekend, depending on manpower available.

I still have some details to work out, but I would like to have a UK custom design and get the discs by mid-April. That will be a tight schedule, so I will need an indication this week of who wants to get involved and how many discs they might want.

I think this can generate some great PR for the sport in your area and get lots of new people to own a disc and have a go at DG. It can also be a great way for the people in your club to work together.

Del
08450 525277 (local rate)
www.quarrypark.co.uk
Derek Robins
Quarry Park Disc Golf

Steve

Post by Steve » Thu Mar 22, 2007 6:49 pm

Whats the planned date for your event Del?
[url=http://www.shropdisc.co.uk/]Disc Golf In Shropshire[/url]

[color=red] BDGA # 266
[url=http://www.pdga.org/tournament/playerstats.php?PDGANum=8833&year=2007]PDGA # 8833[/url]
[/color]

West

Post by West » Sat Mar 24, 2007 10:41 pm

Sounds good! I didn't make the event last year as was travelling (work or holiday, can't remember) ... but would love to try and make it this year!

Once the QP dates are finalised I'll book it into my diary :-)
"West"
PDGA: #8823
BDGA: #250
Twitter: @WestDiscGolf
BDGA DoC 2007 - 2011

Nige

Post by Nige » Tue Mar 27, 2007 9:38 am

Shropshire DGC will also be running WB event some time in early May - full details to be confirmed soon.

Here's hoping the weather's good! Makes such a difference at these events.

West

Post by West » Tue Mar 27, 2007 4:12 pm

Nige wrote:Shropshire DGC will also be running WB event some time in early May - full details to be confirmed soon.

Here's hoping the weather's good! Makes such a difference at these events.
If it keeps up the way its going at the mo, May will be great :)
"West"
BDGA DoC 2007 - 2011

Del

Post by Del » Tue May 01, 2007 1:09 pm

The specially stamped Worlds Biggest charity fundraiser discs have now arrived. We have Aviars (150 and usual weights), Goblins, and Rocs (150 and regular weighst) All in a variety of colours.

The discs are on sale at the usual retail price of £7, and all the profit will go to charity. In the case of Quarry Park sales, this will be Myton Hospice. Croydon and Shrewsbury also have 50 discs and will donate to charities of their choosing.

As an added bonus the disc also serves as the entry to Worlds Biggest events at each course. The Quarry Park event is on Sunday May13th. These events are especially aimed at getting new players to try out disc golf and own a disc. If you know of any prospective disc golfers who might like to take up this offer, then please get in touch. There will be experienced players on hand to demonstrate techniques and guide people round the course. There is no organised competitive element to this, people can play as many holes as they want, it's the ideal introduction to the game.

Details and downloadable posters for the QP event are on the QP website.

Del
01926 864136
www.quarrypark.co.uk
Derek Robins
Quarry Park Disc Golf

Jon

Post by Jon » Wed May 02, 2007 10:34 am

There is now a promotional video for this event available on youtube

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HTgPPTaxyPc

I used footage from a number of places, and alot of it unseen before, so take a look.

More importantly than that to help promote it and get it seen by as many people as possible, please take the time to comment and rate the video, this helps it gain notice within youtube itself.

Also please tout the video around anyone you can think of. It's quite a nice "introduction to disc golf" video regardless of the Worlds Biggest event.

As ever comments and feedback appreciated!

Jon

PS. Amazingly, I actually made Westy look almost cool in it too!

West

Post by West » Wed May 02, 2007 11:42 am

Jon wrote:There is now a promotional video for this event available on youtube

Another great video buddy!! :-)
Jon wrote:PS. Amazingly, I actually made Westy look almost cool in it too!
8)
"West"
BDGA DoC 2007 - 2011

TheGroover

Post by TheGroover » Wed May 02, 2007 2:07 pm

Is anyone available to go to Quarry Park to do a photo shoot tomorrow? We have interest from the Coventry Telegraph for an article to promote the World's Biggest DG day, and they want to do photos tomorrow.

If so, let me know asap.

(sorry about the cross-post)
----------------
Keep up to date with Oxford's summer league...
Oxdisc blog: http://oxdisc.blogspot.com

West

Post by West » Wed May 02, 2007 3:05 pm

Jon wrote:There is now a promotional video for this event available on youtube

I used footage from a number of places, and alot of it unseen before, so take a look.

More importantly than that to help promote it and get it seen by as many people as possible, please take the time to comment and rate the video, this helps it gain notice within youtube itself.

Also please tout the video around anyone you can think of. It's quite a nice "introduction to disc golf" video regardless of the Worlds Biggest event.

As ever comments and feedback appreciated!

Jon

PS. Amazingly, I actually made Westy look almost cool in it too!
Two guys at work have seen it :)

I also found the transworld sport vid from last summer on youtube the other day so one of the guys could see that ... slowly but surely telling people i work with what disc golf is.

On the upside ... these types of videos help! 8)
"West"
BDGA DoC 2007 - 2011

Del

Post by Del » Mon May 14, 2007 7:50 am

Big thank you to everybody who played and/or helped out at Quarry Park yesterday with the “Worlds Biggest” charity fundraiser event. We had 40 people take part, which is pretty damn good considering that it rained all day long. Obviously it’s disappointing that the weather deterred lots of potential new players, but there were lots of positives. We had a really good network of people chipping in to help with publicity and running the event, and I’m sure there are lots more people now aware of disc golf.

We did get some good local media coverage with nearly a half page feature in the Coventry Evening Telegraph on Monday, and radio interviews on Friday and Sunday.

Seeing as many players missed out this weekend, we are extending the same deal to next Sunday, 20th May.

Del
Derek Robins
Quarry Park Disc Golf

Jon

Post by Jon » Mon May 14, 2007 8:46 am

I think there are still bits of me that are wet from the Biggest Day, but it was a really good time. From a 6 hole(1,2,3,4,17,18 ) Mini Disc tournament (Congrats Frank!), to the putting through the V-Tree challenge, to watching young Adam throw a Mini disc a very long way, I think about 45+ metres in the end, an apparent new world record for his age!

So a big thank you to all who organised and turned up!

As ever my pictures from the event are up at Sandblaggers so take a look, not too many as the rain kept getting all over the lens!

Jon

Del

Worlds Biggest - Charity Fundraiser

Post by Del » Mon Jun 25, 2007 9:30 pm

The final tally up for charity funds raised by disc golfers and friends at Quarry Park was an impressive £479.06. This is mostly from sales of discs, but also some donations. Thanks to Innova for providing discs at a discount to usual prices, which was worth approx. £125. Thanks to everyone who helped with the event or bought a disc. The cash has all been donated to Myton Hamlet Hospice, who are based within a couple of miles of the course.

I say final amount, but actually we are hoping it will be doubled, as Claire Redmond is seeking a matching contribution from her employer Legal & General. Thanks to Clare, and credit to L&G for their generous policy.

Croydon's event took place at the weekend and went well, raising further funds for a local cause, but I'll let them give the details. Not sure when the Shrewsbury event will happen.

Del
Derek Robins
Quarry Park Disc Golf

West

Post by West » Tue Jun 26, 2007 9:31 am

That's brilliant news!

:D

Did anyone go to the Croydon one at the weekend? I was unfortunately moving house so couldn't make it down :(
"West"
BDGA DoC 2007 - 2011

bruce

Post by bruce » Tue Jun 26, 2007 9:45 am

From the Croydon forum:
I would just like to thank everyone who took part in a very successful day at Lloyd Park for today's Worlds Biggest Event.

We started off with 48 discs and we have just 8 left. A lot of the members are still to take one so I can say with confidence that they will all have sold by the end of the week.

I am absolutely delighted at the magnificent turn out and very grateful to all those who supported the event.

The weather stayed good for the majority of the day and The Friends of Lloyd Park (a small band of dg haters- more of this will appear on the site shortly) mysteriously stayed away... even though the Police sent 5 local bobbys to ensure fair play.(To be fair, The Police stayed for a half an hour and now have very respectable backhand drives!!!)

It was great to see Mums and Dads with little ones trying the game out for the first time and I think everyone who played had a good time.

A special mention goes to a lovely lady, Dieter (please forgive my incorrect spelling) and her husband. They came across to Lloyd Park to offer their support and wish us well. This followed a phone call of a similar ilk. I and the club thank you for you good wishes... You will be welcome to join us anytime.

So, A great day and a tidy sum raised for the local scouting groups...

Thanks again to everyone who took part and to Jerry, Josh, Charlie, Tracey and Chris who all helped to make my job easier.
[Standard post disclaimer] My posts are never intended to undermine the work of the Board or individuals putting in effort to grow the sport, they are my honest thoughts on the best ways to grow the game

BDGA: 145
PDGA: 8824

West

Post by West » Tue Jun 26, 2007 12:18 pm

Sounds like a good day. Good to get so much local support, and from the Police as well ... pretty impressive :D
"West"
BDGA DoC 2007 - 2011