Hyzer Cup 2015: new format

Winter Doubles and one off doo's.
Get your non BDGA tour/result announcements in here!
richard

Hyzer Cup 2015: new format

Post by richard » Thu Sep 17, 2015 9:38 pm

This years Hyzer Cup, now in its annual spot of the first Sunday in November, is nearly upon us. Most of the organisational stuff is on facebook, so please go and have a look, or, let us know here if you wish to and are qualified to play. Sam Stevens and Gary O'Malley are your captains. Only 8 in each division can be picked so please get in quick.

HYZER CUP 2015: Sunday 1st November at Quarry Park.

Ethos and Rules... (For player sign up please visit the thread on your clubs page)

Hyzer Cup

1 Ethos: When Hyzer Cup was first conceived It was all about everyone being able to play, no matter what their skill levels and no matter how many were in each side. Now that there are multiple opportunities for newer players to experience gentle competition (in the form of One Dayers like the SEMDGS) we may be able to make the maddening selection difficulties easier by having a structure.
Hyzer Cup is now seen by the majority of its players as a competition first and foremost. It is our intention to introduce structure to this event so that the Cap'ns on each side can have confidence that their enjoyment of the task isn't spoiled by the last minute drop outs and rules bickering that have happened in the past. All the previous cap'ns have experienced the same issues and many more. Although what follows may seem convoluted at first but we believe that will keep some of the old spirit alive, we really do want as many players as possible to compete in this fantastic competition. At the same time we believe that we have covered every eventuality so that even if we have last minute drop outs we have an instant solution.

Hyzer Cup: A match play competition played between Quarry Park DGC and Croydon DGC. Played once a year on the FIRST Sunday In November starting at QP in Nov 1st 2015
Matches will alternate year on year between venues.

Each match consists of 2 rounds:
Round 1: Modified Best Shot Doubles Matchplay. (Rules will follow but no changes to the 2 v 2 match)
Round 2: Singles Matchplay.
There will be 1 pt awarded to the winner of each match 1/2 pt for a tie. There will be 3 spot prizes each worth 1/2 point. These may be CTP, Longest Putt, Longest Drive etc.

2 . Numbers and groups.

18 per side 6/6/6 int ad open and up to 2 reserves in each division giving us a total upto 24 players but you can turn up with just 18.
See the grid attached for explanation
If a team turns up with under 18 they will forfeit the players points.

Selection of the doubles pairings has traditionally been one of the cap'ns jobs. After a vote earlier in the year this method will continue.

Therefore the cap'ns will make their selections and then reveal them on the Live Draw (date and time TBC)

For The Reserves Grid
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... 1127190070
BDGA #259
PDGA #8840
-------------------------------------------------------
Croydon DGC: Hyzer Cup Champions 08/09 and 2013/14

andrewdouse

Re: Hyzer Cup 2015: new format

Post by andrewdouse » Mon Nov 02, 2015 2:24 pm

How about some results and stuff from the hyzer cup last weekend? make use of the forum as its a lot less ethereal than Facebook.

For my part Myself and Ivan beat Sam and Grant in the Doubles, and I beat Trom in the singles. Any more detail I don't remember as I was distracting myself by trying to film both rounds, the results of which I will post a link to once I've edited it down (I managed to fill a 64GB memory card...)
BDGA# 373 PDGA# 51346

SueU

Post by SueU » Mon Nov 02, 2015 6:33 pm

Very pleasant day in the autumn sunshine yesterday - big thanks to Sam and Gary for organising the teams and to Gary and Sean for lunches and to Del for use of the course.

Can't remember the points but think QP won the doubles in the morning and Croydon won the singles in the afternoon (by quite a lot!). With the points for the spot prizes, it was a draw overall with Croydon therefore retaining the Hyzer Cup for another 12 months (assuming same principles apply as for the Ryder Cup?)

I had the pleassure of the company of James B and Neil M for the day - Jonny and I drew our doubles match with James and Neil having been two down with two holes to go! I then lost to James (by a lot) I went into melt down on the 2nd hole and couldn't do anything - drive, approach or putt! that's what you get when you don't play for five months :!: James was very sporting and did throw into the trees a couple of times to give me a chance but it didn't help as I went on to do the same thing both times!

Look forward to the next annual event in Croydon :)

rhatton1

Post by rhatton1 » Tue Nov 03, 2015 11:12 am

The film idea looks like it may have created loads of quality footage to play with - I'm getting it all put together and then will be shared in one central location everyone can download from.

The dual cameras of Rich Wood and Greig Underwood in the morning have picked up some great action shots that edited together look professional, helps that Bruce and Ben were throwing some very good shots that day!

Here's a couple of playing around ones I've done on a new editing suite I'm trying to learn:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=giSKOCn936s
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y4OdFMg11uk
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R-a9bynJTX8

As for scores Ken and i got beaten I think 4 and 2 by Jester and Luis in the doubles then I got beaten 2 and 1 by Neal Clifton in a very enjoyable singles round in the afternoon, lead swapped back and forth with birdies repeatedly before Neal canned a 20 meter uphill par save on 12 for the win.
www.discgolfuk.com
richard@discgolfuk.com
Home of the Midlands One Day Series
Talk to us about courses!

Jester

Post by Jester » Tue Nov 03, 2015 12:36 pm

Great work, Rich! I had a really fun Doubles match with Luis against you and Ken. The result was indeed 4 and 2 to us.

In the afternoon, for the second time in Hyzer Cup history (I believe) I drew Del in the singles. Si Luard had played Del in the morning doubles and I had heard The Wind was in imperious form, canning putts from way outside the circle. Not having played since Essex 11 weeks previously, I knew I'd have my work cut out. I got off to a good start on #2 parking it, and when Del missed his putt I was 1up. Another birdie on #5 put me 2up. Del got one back on #7 with a birdie when my putt chained out, but I got it right back on #8 with another birdie.

At 2up after 8 holes on the tee of #10 River Ride I was feeling happy about how I was playing, but knew that lead could evaporate really quickly. The next two holes turned out to be the swing point of the match. Del drove into the trees on #10, and although he made a good out couldn't save the par, which put me 3 up. On 11# Long the River, the Avon decided it was time to tax the course owner and duly swallowed up Del's comet. He had a great recovery shot into the green but again missed the putt and I was 4up after 10 holes.

Del got one back right away on #12 Ceder View when my long attempt to save par chained out. In the top field Del made a great birdie putt on Blackdown the Hill over the OB which brought the score back to 2up with 4 to play. we halved both the next two holes with regulation 3s, and I was therefore up dormie 2 on the tee of #18. Del drove first and put one on the green. I followed with something similar. When we got down there both were short and right, Del 10y out, and me at 12y. Although his putting had been off on two holes in the middle of the round, I didn't think he'd miss this one so I knew I had to make mine if I didn't want to have to go to dormie 1 and risk halving the match. Believing he'd get his 2 meant I committed fully to the putt and happily for me got it dead in the middle of the heart of the chains. Del duly sunk his putt for a nice finish to the round and the match result 2 and 1 to me.

It was a very enjoyable round and reminded me what I've been missing by not playing much this year. I hope to rectify that with a few more tournament attendances in 2016!

Thanks to Rich H, Ken Luis and Del for the rounds, and Del for the very well maintained the course, it looked beautiful. Thanks to Gary for TD-ing, the Croydon players for their winning efforts, the QP players for their valiant efforts, Sian and all the others QP-ers who helped organise in one way or another, and Mavis for the great breads with lunch! You've all set a high bar for Croydon to reach next year.
Jester
BDGA #128
PDGA #8817
------------------------------------------------------
Croydon DGC: Hyzer Cup Champions 08/09, 13/14

rhatton1

Post by rhatton1 » Thu Nov 05, 2015 12:10 pm

Whilst I can still remember them:

Me and Ken vs Jester and Luis in doubles

We started on hole 17, Jester won the toss and we drove first, Ken started as he meant to go on with pretty wayward drive somewhere to the left of the nipple. I drove up the middle and just clipped the last lime on the right, giving us an easy look for three. Luis went into the REdwoods and then Jester drove into the same Lime as me but got to the pin side. All up and down for three.

18, Ken again was a bit wild landing towards the te of 17 but clear. I drove into waht would normally be roped of OB around the clubhouse. Jester took a very tight line and ended 8 meters short but in line. We took Kens to stay open as we were unlikely to make the putt from my lie and I couldn;t stand the thought of Jester chirping on about how it should have been OB for the rest of the round....My approach was to within 5, Jester canned a good putt so immaterial.
Croydon 1 up.

Hole 1 Croydon were locked in on Luis. his drive made it to the landbridge. Ken again went wild, OB to the left of the willow. My drive got through and past the two trees for an easy up and down. They couldn't manage better than a 4, I approached under for a drop in 3.
All Square.

Hole 2 Ken drove a beautiful sidearm to the last bush but jsut stuck into it unfortunately. i drove a bit high but landed 5 meters short for an easy 2. Jester was long and right but canned a good 10 meter putt for birdie. We took mine as it was a gimme and the awkward stance could have meant missing Kens.

all square
Hole 3 Oh Ken. on the most lefty friendly hole on the course he went OB about 20 meters from the tee. Jester drove an absolute beauty with the Roc. Ken approached very nicely for our 3rd. Crodyon used Luis's shot but then overshot spectacularly in an uncharacteristically poor upshot from Jester. They got down for four leaving us about a 12 meter putt for the half, I thought mine was in but just dropped and hit the top of the basket.

Croydon 1 up.

Hole 4

Jester hyzer bombed to an almost ace.
Ken again WTF.

my drive was about 10 meters short and just inbounds. We both missed.
Croydon 2 up?

Hole 5

Jesters was up near the basket of blue 6 Ken landed his pretty mich on the tee of 7. We both approached really well to aroudn 6 meters, mine a little closer. Jesters overshot to what woul dhave been OB in the old days. Luis made an excellent 10meter+ putt across the slope to halve with threes.
Croydon 2 up

Hole 6 They were locked in on Luis and I think took a 4 to our 3 after I lost a disc in the drink. We used Kens after a contentious what constitutes casual water and where we could take our lie from.
Croydon 1 up

Hole 7 Think they were both easy threes, ,locked in on mine I played it safely rather than attacking and we had an easy up up the slope.
Croydon 1 up

Hole 8 Kens was we thought good on the edge, mine, you've all seen, not so good. Jesters and Luis were neither very good but they were able to approach under for a three, we had a horrible lie when we got down there and couldn't get to the basket, missed our putts and took a 4.
Croydon 2 up.

Hole 9
cream pie crust drives aplenty, Jesters ace run was excellent, best shot ive seen on the hole. we somehow both conspired to miss a relatively simple putt for the 4 and lost the hole
Croydon 3 up
Hole 10
Jester got lucky on the drive and then had to rely on Luis with the upshots. My drive just found the edge of the dogwood at the ride and then buried itself deep. halved with a 4.
Croydon 3 up.

Hole 11 Jester went in the drink, I thought we lost this one but we were still at 3 down after it so not sure what happened.
Croydon 3 up.
hole 12 again don;t really remember, halved with 3's
Croydon 3 up.
Hole 13
Ken drove a beauty, then I did, we couldn't make the 2 putt, halved with threes.
Hole 14. Jester played safe up the middle, they were going to be easily down in three. Ken drove OB on another lefty hole :( I decided to go for it as we needed a 2 to keep the game alive, just overcooked it into the back of the bushes and couldn't get better than a 4.
Croydon win 4 and 2.
www.discgolfuk.com
richard@discgolfuk.com

rhatton1

Post by rhatton1 » Thu Nov 05, 2015 12:30 pm

Just realised I think I got it wrong below - QP won hole 2 to go 1 up and drew hole 6. Jesters putt on 2 hit the rim and blew by.

Singles Neal clifton vs me and Jon Wood and Luis again.

Started on hole 14. Neal drove OB to the tee of 15, I tried to play safe and managed to land behind the bushes. threw a good overhand to the fence but pin high. somehow managed to shank the putt. hole halved with 4's

15 I thought my drive was perfect but it landed at the OB fence. My putt for two hit the bucket. Hole halved with 3's

16 I drove OB Neal was off to the left but got a horrible roll from the nipple after landing flat, very unfortunate. we halved with 4's

17 Neal took a 3, i was under the lime on the left from the drive and just messed my approach up badly hitting a branch in front of my face.
Croydon 1 up.

18 Neals drive was huge. too huge, long and to the left nearly at the willow, he made a great putt, it bounced off the bucket into the chains, teetered for a bit, looked like it was in and then somehow dropped out - so unlucky. I made an 8 meter putt for the 2 to win the hole.
all square

1 I hit a good drive going for the hzerbomb route (after agreeing with Neal we'd both play it that way) over/around the two trees, just clipped the back branches but landed in the clear almost at the gap. Neals drive was huge, hyzerbomb right into the middle of the trees behind short basket of one. I approached under and he made an excellent recovery shot out to halve the hole with 3's.

all square

2. I think we both should have taken birdies but hit 3's instead.
all square

3. I got through to the old OB for a putt. I think he made a long putt for three, I couldn't make the two.
All square

4. I hit a good drive and made the 2 to win the hole.
QP 1 up.

5. Neals hyzer bomb was a beaut, my tiger line was left a bit short i missed, he made the 2.
All square

6 Neal ended up down by the stream, I hit a good shot to about 6 meters long, made the putt for 2.
QP 1 up

7 both drove well, both missed putts
QP 1up

8 Neals drive was poor but good upshot for the three. My drive was 8 meters short, my putt was awful and almost as far past, made the return to halve.
QP 1up

9 I missed a simple putt after a great recovery shot from the woods. Neal with a 3
All square

10 - my nemesis that weekend. we both played poorly, he approached to about 12 I approached to about 8, he made the putt, i didn't.
Croydon 1 up.

11. He landed ok after a ricochet, I played a putter to what I thought was a safe spot past the oak. turned out it was too long and had no angle for anything, tried a roller. I can't throw rollers. croydon won with the 3 after a great approach.
Croydon 2 up.

12. He got into a bit of trouble off the drive, I was putting for 2 but landed safe for the 3. He had a 20 meter upshot to save the hole and win the match. he made it, great shot and a good way to win a really fun round.

Croydon win 2 and 1
www.discgolfuk.com
richard@discgolfuk.com

bruce

Post by bruce » Thu Nov 05, 2015 3:40 pm

Bruce & Ben vs Rich W & Caleb

Started on 16, we let Croydon drive first. Rich drove off to the right somewhere awkward, Caleb put it in the tree on the left. Ben and I had pretty similar drives, in the clear about 12m short. Simple up and down from us for 3 from Ben's lie, Caleb holed out a good putt from 3m off the base of the nipple for the half.
All square

17. Rich was again off to the right, Caleb hit the left hand sentinel tree. Ben was a little left just short of the main tunnel, I was just into the tunnel on the right edge. They took Caleb's again but could only get halfway up the gap and didn't make the long putt, drop in 3 for us from my drive.
QP 1up

18. Ben was on the green, but 15m short, I was 5m long. Rich was safe but not on the green. Caleb had an ace run at probably the least lefty hole on the course, and damned near made it! Line looked amazing, beautiful turnover and glide, we found it about 8m long and left of the pin, so it definitely had a chance! They got safely up and down, then Ben stuffed his putt into the bucket, forcing me to drain it for the birdie. I had a word, he didn't miss another putt!
QP 2up

1. Locked to Ben's drive, he nervelessly drove it in textbook style, 10m past the 2 trees in position A1. I didn't bother with an ace run... Caleb hit the early tree but did punch on through over the stream about 20m short of the 2 trees. Rich was in the gap, but short and a bit left. Ben and I both raised an eyebrow when they decided to take Caleb's drive and keep them open, I didn't give them a hope of making a 3 from there and I was right. My approach was 6 inches off the pole for a drop in birdie.
QP 3up

2. I can't really recall Ben's drive, mine was bang on line, 5m long, Both Rich and Caleb were off right, Caleb more so. They gave it a really good run but no joy, I made Ben knock in the birdie as a confidence builder after the miss on 18.
QP 4up

3. Ben put his in the oh-too-familiar patch of trees on the right, but having got up and down from there more times than I care to remember, I figured I had a licence to attack it. I absolutely crushed the Roc, high and on just the right bit of hyzer for it to gently turn over and glide. When we got down there it was 2 feet short. Rich and Caleb were both in the same trees and couldn't get past the guardians in the old OB pen on their attempted runs.
QP 5 up

4. Tied to Ben's drive again, he threw a lovely flex shot to the back edge of the green. My ace run was...woeful. Rich, who had been muttering something about 'a stich-up' for a couple of holes, busted out the 150 sidewinder and got it to the front edge of the green, Caleb was shorter and almost OB. I think one of them missed the putt, but the other drained it, Ben sank ours for the half with birdies.
QP 5up

5. Ben's drive turned over a little too much and was in the stream behind the tee of Blue 7. I nailed the Boss to put us well beyond the Blue 6 basket and reasonably down the hill. Both Rich and Caleb hit the main stand of trees, Caleb's was further along and better. They played good out shots and good approaches for an easy 4, but my approach was on the steps 2m past the basket, easy birdie 3.
QP 6up

6. Ben's drive was very tidy, straight and safe, about 25m short. I tried to attack it with a hyzer-flip but got it too high but the disc was saved by the very top of the tree by the river, tumbling down about 15m away. Caleb was long and right, Rich was just over the bridge after nearly beheading Greig. Rich parked it from his drive after Caleb threw his putter in the river. We took Ben's to stay open and Rich nearly threw me in after Caleb's putter as my jump-putt for birdie was an inch low. Halved with our first par in 7 holes.
QP 6up

7. Ben's line was beautiful but it didn't have the legs, ending up in the rough on the corner. My roller was safely at the bottom of the hill. Rich was in the trees early, Caleb was long and safe. They got up and down from Caleb's easily, and both of our putts from my drive were disappointingly never threatening chains, halved in par again.
QP6 up

8. My drive hyzered out a bit early into the rough. Ben's flirted with the bushes all the way down the right but kept on flying and ended up about a foot outside the CTP, 6m or so. Caleb went way off left, Rich was in the fairway but only about halfway down. They again had good runs, but no joy and Ben drained the putt for his second 'I'll do it myself thanks' birdie.
QP dormie 7

9. Ben's drive was straight, true and absolutely what you want on the first woods hole, through the ride and middle of the fairway. I figured I might as well try to blast a driver all the way down, with predictable results. Rich played pinball and ended up in the fairway short of the ride I think. Caleb got through the ride but with the lefty fade was just off the main fairway. They both hit wood halfway to the pin, and so did Ben, I pured the gap and nestled up 2 feet from the pin, they got up and down for the 4 but we took it with the drop in 3.
QP win 8 & 6.

Everyone played well and the final score was pretty brutal, but as I said to Rich, I don't know that there would have been any other pairings out there to live with that scoring. We were 5 under the 3s through 12 holes and we actually carried on and played 10, 14 & 15, all on the 3s, so with 11, 12 & 13 to play we had every chance at a 49 or better. I reckon they were looking at about a 60, which is very respectable scoring on the Black course.
[Standard post disclaimer] My posts are never intended to undermine the work of the Board or individuals putting in effort to grow the sport, they are my honest thoughts on the best ways to grow the game

BDGA: 145
PDGA: 8824