BDGA AGM 2014

Winter Doubles and one off doo's.
Get your non BDGA tour/result announcements in here!
LostMeow

BDGA AGM 2014

Post by LostMeow » Mon Sep 29, 2014 12:13 pm

The BDGA's 2014 AGM will be held at Beaminster on October 25th - the Saturday of Nationals & Not The Nationals.

Reports from the Board will be made available at least one week before.

Elections will also be held for BDGA Board positions. If you would like to run against the current incumbents for the positions of National Director, Secretary, Treasurer, Communications or Director of Competitions, please let the Secretary know (secretary@bdga.org.uk) in advance of the meeting. To stand for election you will need a Proposer and a Seconder.

If you have any other items for discussion at the AGM, please table them to the Secretary (secretary@bdga.org.uk) in advance of the meeting.
Tom
ND

seamus

Re: BDGA AGM 2014

Post by seamus » Fri Oct 03, 2014 10:29 am

Hello,
Below is a copy of the contents of a submitted letter to table discussions at the Beaminster AGM in 2014. I'm sharing this letter on the Forum because I believe in transparency and my hopes are that a healthy debate might ensue and solve some future issues.

1. Addition of a Masters division (40+) with no rating or gender restrictions to all BDGA events.

Addition of a Masters division with no gender or rating restrictions will allow BDGA events to be a direct peer review for the 39 active registered Pdga Masters, Grand Masters and Senior Grand Masters.
Masters are cool people and we should be celebrated…

2. Addition of a 3rd Bdga Tour event in Scotland.

I hope the Board will consider adding a third BDGA Tour event to Scotland, the sport has grown dramatically both North and South of the Scottish border and an additional event will assist in expanding upon this growth*. The opportunity to host another BDGA event will draw in additional players and likely increase BDGA memberships.

3. Link to updated Bdga Tour Guidelines as well as Power Stat qualifications on the homepage.

* Not only is a third event necessary in Scotland but fairly soon there will be more than 10 courses that will qualify to be BDGA events. Multiple BDGA events on the same weekend is just around the corner and may be necessary to accommodate the growth of our sport. Sorry to throw a spanner in the Power Stats but (considering that Pdga Tour guidelines allow for two A Tier events at 300 miles apart,) wouldn't it be sweeter for the BDGA to host 90+ competitors over one weekend at two events with plenty of room for growth than at most 70+ at one event. Three hundred miles is roughly Edinburgh to Warwick.
I hope these considerations assist in a debate that continue to move the sport forward.

To make sure I end things positively, the rain just stopped and I got my chainsaw back yesterday………..Whoot!!
Back to back, chicken shack.

ReBoot Disc Golf
www.rebootdiscgolf.com

LostMeow

Post by LostMeow » Thu Oct 09, 2014 6:49 pm

Thanks for your suggestions, Seamus.

Would TDs object to adding a 'Masters' division as an option? I wouldn't. Perhaps it could be set a minimum number of players to go ahead, decided on a tournament-by-tournament basis?

Where would the 3rd Scottish BDGA event be?

One (positive) objection I can foresee to scheduling two events at the same time is that people will be sorry they can't make both! Imagine the upset if Dunbar and Whitcombe were on the same weekend! Sadness all round!
Tom
ND

bruce

Post by bruce » Tue Oct 14, 2014 2:16 pm

There are no doubt some interesting times ahead for the Tour and if you fail to plan you plan to fail.

Issues:
More venues means competition for BDGA Tour events.
More players means a broader demographic and increasing interest in other divisional options (Master's, Women's, Junior's, Recreational etc).
The current Tour scoring system is pitched at a 2-tier structure (Open & Am) that may not be sustainable

There are 2 very easy approaches we could take here:
1. Do nothing. The tour functions as is, it is growing but we have not reached a point where events are 'selling out'. Only the QP Open this year was approaching maximum capacity. Additional venues can be managed in 3 ways: a rotation system; a 'merit' system so the best performing venues (either on attendance or by introducing a player ranking system); or on a development basis, so using the Tour to target and assist growth areas. Or a combination of these ideas.

2. Bin Tour stats. Adopt the PDGA divisional structure wholesale. Allow any division that has enough entries. Abandon the overall titles. Multiple events on the same weekend are possible, one dayers etc.

After that there many variations on these themes. We could introduce divisions piecemeal as required, maybe starting with Master's, or Women's. Do we then add MasterStats and crown a champion? There's additional work overhead to do so and a prize cost (at each event as well as overall).
You could choose to crown a Tour champion based on MPO (Male Pro Open) points in some system, potentially just using the PDGA points, or by identifying a smaller number of eligible events from the overall calendar.
You could have an invite-only British Championship event to crown your annual winners, using standard events to determine the invitees, effectively replacing the T16 matchplay. Say top 20 Open, top 20 amateurs, top 10 Masters, top 10 women, top 10 juniors.

Some other talking points:
If you remove the overall tour, will that diminish some attendances? There is clearly an excitement about the title race, and players make decisions to play events because they are in the title hunt that they might not if there's nothing on the line apart from the event itself. It may lead to a decline at less accessible venues, stifling development and growth.

If we start adding divisions it will inevitably reduce the size of others, Open especially impacted by Masters. With some events this year starting to look at introducing payouts, that might reduce the capability to do this.

I am not particularly for or against any of these ideas at this point, they're discussion points. What is for sure is that the Tour will need to evolve in the next few years
[Standard post disclaimer] My posts are never intended to undermine the work of the Board or individuals putting in effort to grow the sport, they are my honest thoughts on the best ways to grow the game

BDGA: 145
PDGA: 8824

Jester

Post by Jester » Tue Oct 14, 2014 4:35 pm

bruce wrote: You could choose to crown a Tour champion based on MPO (Male Pro Open) points in some system, potentially just using the PDGA points, or by identifying a smaller number of eligible events from the overall calendar.
You could have an invite-only British Championship event to crown your annual winners, using standard events to determine the invitees, effectively replacing the T16 matchplay.
While the Tour may change, and therefore how it’s qualified for may do so too (e.g. use end-of-season PDGA player rating instead of Tour points?) I would be gutted if the National Championship, aka Nationals, aka the Top 16 Match Play was to leave the calendar. IMHO it's a fantastic event to build up to throughout the year. It’s so different from the Tour:
- The Tour is our League - a marathon, not a sprint, where slow and steady wins the race
- The Nationals is our Cup - a different animal where the one on one nature of the format turns steel nerves to jelly

On the Saturday morning all 16 Nationals competitors have exactly the same, simple task: just win the next four matches and be crowned Champion. It doesn’t get any purer than that, does it? No variable scoring system, no wondering if someone’s second place result is worth more than yours, just a straightforward knockout fight asking each player ‘Have you got what it takes?’.

Ever since I started playing 16 years ago I just wanted to do well enough to qualify to play in the Nationals. Then subsequently I wanted to beat my seeding, then to make top 8, top 4, a final, then win it. I would like to think there are other players starting out this year thinking the same thing who will one day get to get their hands on the trophy too. It’s an amazing feeling.
Jester
BDGA #128
PDGA #8817
------------------------------------------------------
Croydon DGC: Hyzer Cup Champions 08/09, 13/14

bruce

Post by bruce » Tue Oct 14, 2014 4:56 pm

Replacing was a poor choice of word, other than as the concept of a Tour finale. In that scenario T16 could maybe move to being a season opener, I agree it's a fantastic event. As an opener after a winter off, attendance might also be better...
[Standard post disclaimer] My posts are never intended to undermine the work of the Board or individuals putting in effort to grow the sport, they are my honest thoughts on the best ways to grow the game

Jester

Post by Jester » Tue Oct 14, 2014 4:59 pm

bruce wrote:Replacing was a poor choice of word, other than as the concept of a Tour finale. In that scenario T16 could maybe move to being a season opener, I agree it's a fantastic event. As an opener after a winter off, attendance might also be better...
Aha, gotcha.

Yeah, as a season opener would be another possible way for the event to function. (side question - what happens to the AGM and National Dinner and Annual Awards then?)
Jester
BDGA #128
PDGA #8817

seamus

Post by seamus » Wed Oct 15, 2014 7:23 am

Could Nationals as is also function as a Bdga Tour event as well?

ReBoot Disc Golf
www.rebootdiscgolf.com

Jester

Post by Jester » Wed Oct 15, 2014 8:05 am

seamus wrote:Could Nationals as is also function as a Bdga Tour event as well?
I'm not sure how that would be possible? The individual match play format of Nationals means overall scores across a field of players are not valid for comparison.
Jester
BDGA #128
PDGA #8817

bruce

Post by bruce » Wed Oct 15, 2014 8:57 am

Jester wrote:
seamus wrote:Could Nationals as is also function as a Bdga Tour event as well?
I'm not sure how that would be possible? The individual match play format of Nationals means overall scores across a field of players are not valid for comparison.
Well yes and no. You do get an ordered list of players, ranked 1 through 16, so you can use it in some manner.
An example structure could be:
Season opening T16 matchplay
Series of n PDGA events

Season closing British Champs - Invite only
Invite criteria:
a) Top 8 from T16
+ b) All Series event winners
+ c) Top 10 series points leaders not already covered by a&b

Top 16 finishers at BC form invite for next years T16, or you use top 16 series points leaders

LostMeow

Post by LostMeow » Wed Oct 15, 2014 7:15 pm

Please see my secretary's report via this link:

http://bit.ly/1tua9Xi
Tom
ND

seamus

Post by seamus » Fri Oct 17, 2014 6:52 pm

I can't say enough good things about Nationals, I think it is a quality objective event and would be great on the Bdga Tour.

About a season closer, does it need to be so selective? If you hosted a season closer with the only qualification being 4 Bdga Tour events played you'd succeed in attracting the top shelf British players. Then if you hosted a one day event in a central location such as Bedworth/QP your issue might be limiting the event to 90 players, especially given the growth report Tom posted. Your Tour Champion(s) will already be decided (Power Stats and Nationals) so the event would become more of a celebration for the year, but that would ultimately be up to the TD.

I'd add a money purse too but that's just me.

ReBoot Disc Golf
www.rebootdiscgolf.com

robbnot

Post by robbnot » Sun Oct 19, 2014 12:54 am

LostMeow wrote:Please see my secretary's report via this link:

http://bit.ly/1tua9Xi
I totally agree with more info in the newsletter, there is an opportunity there for news and stats for the SEDGS tour, the Quaich tour, the Acerace etc not to mention all the growth that's happening, plenty of new clubs and courses to support, and it's a great way to keep people switched on especially through the winter, and you can keep plugging upgrading to touring member. ....
BDGA#1007
PDGA#62797

My disc golf makes your disc golf look great...

andrewdouse

Post by andrewdouse » Mon Oct 20, 2014 12:06 pm

Something that has been mentioned for a couple of years but hasn't happened yet is a new BDGA leaflet - with space for local info to be added (with a sticker or whatever) I am happy to layout a leaflet, I have the old leaflet and have started a new one, but would need photo's to use. The wording of the old leaflet might want changing a bit as well, which I'd rather someone else did - Me no words good!

It Could then be printed via the BDGA funds, and distributed to clubs to hand out?

At Reading this weekend there was one hole playing between the playground and a steam fair, the hole was almost unplayable because of all the people walking between the two, which led to a lot of disc golf conversations as people stopped to watch, or were asked to watch out for discs, or hang on a sec whilst someone threw. If there had been some leaflets to give out I'm sure it would have increased player numbers more in Reading as people would have had something concrete to refer to later. Hopefully some of the interested people will seek out the local group anyway. (So many people had heard of "frisbee golf" but were surprised to see it in Reading, or indeed the UK.)
BDGA# 373 PDGA# 51346

Jester

Post by Jester » Mon Oct 20, 2014 12:42 pm

Andrew's got a good point - where DG demos are taking place, printed matter is essential to give the interested party something to take away and refer to later. Even if they weren't that interested at the time, they might think about it later or pass the flyer on to someone else.

When designing flyers, a trap that's easy to fall into is trying to make one that answers every question about DG, rather than concentrating on getting the member of the public to do one thing e.g. visit the BDGA website/on FB/on Twitter. Back in the 90s I produced a double-sided A4 'What is DG' rules and an explanation leaflet for the BDGA. Thanks to a terrific photo Liam Young took at Whitcombe it looked really nice, but didn't have a perfectly clear purpose. It had a space for local clubs to add their contact details, but in this digital age I think we should be saying less on paper and utilising the flexibility digital provides.

What I'm saying is that while a leaflet/flyer is a good idea for the above scenario, it needs to cover only the high level details and encourage with a clear, single call to action for the recipient to continue their learning on the appropriate digital channel. Defining the recipient first (potential players or someone interested on behalf of someone else? Kids, teens, adults male, female? etc) is critical to the design being a sucess.
Jester
BDGA #128
PDGA #8817

seamus

Post by seamus » Tue Oct 21, 2014 7:15 am

Give me a call if there is any ad space on this leaflet.

ReBoot Disc Golf
www.rebootdiscgolf.com

andrewdouse

Post by andrewdouse » Tue Oct 21, 2014 12:01 pm

I've shifted the relevant leaflet discussion bits over to robb's leaflet thread to continue this discussion.

viewtopic.php?f=25&t=1802

Could this idea of a BDGA leaflet be discussed at the AGM, so if we get something organised it could be printed and distributed through the BDGA?
BDGA# 373 PDGA# 51346

bruce

Post by bruce » Wed Oct 22, 2014 12:13 am

Sorry, I spent all the BDGA money in Vegas. Blame Del, he told me to put it all on Red... :)

I'm all for a good DG leaflet that can be tailored by the clubs, but I'm not sure having the BDGA print and distribute them is an effective model. I'd rather see an e-copy produced that clubs can edit the select fields to put in their local info and print them themselves. I would support the clubs being able to recoup the printing costs from the development funds, subject to sensible limits.

bruce

Post by bruce » Wed Oct 22, 2014 12:46 am

I'm aware I haven't written my report, so here it is...

So long and thanks for all the fish
Assuming I'm re-elected, 2015 will be my last year running the BDGA. I've been involved in the board for a decade, and I feel strongly that new blood is a vital component of any organisation. I'm very proud of the progress that British disc golf has made in my tenure. When I took over I felt that the DG scene had been and was very top heavy. We had a core group of dedicated players, but the underlying public awareness and recreational player base was missing. If you played, you toured. I said from the outset that a good structure was a pyramid, with the Tour at the peak but built on a solid foundation of occasional players and club players.

Touring membership has shown modest growth, but the grass roots has blossomed incredibly and the number of permanent courses in the ground has massively increased. You only have to be on Facebook to see the number of regional club scenes either supporting a course or building towards getting their own new one. The Tour is very successful, notably at courses where the local club scenes have thrived. The strength of the divisions also has deepened, and I think that all points towards the solid foundations we've built.

There will be challenges over the coming years. The tour structure will, at some point have to change. We can adopt global standards or forge our own path. Cash payouts may or may not become the norm. Increased Junior and Womens involvement will have cultural implications I've already tried to address. There are decisions to be made and guidance to be provided, and if I've learned one thing in the last decade it's that it's impossible to make any choice that pleases everyone. There will need to be a firm hand on the rudder, and I encourage anyone interested to speak to me about the job.

I went to the AGM 10 years ago knowing Derek was stepping down and thinking 'if no one else puts their hand up, I'll do it'. Guess how I got the job... I do not want the BDGA to be in the same position in Oct 2015, I would love there to be 2 or more candidates putting forward a vision for how they see the next 5 years progressing, at both the tour and grass roots levels.

Apologies for any spooling mistakes, this report was compiled on my phone...

richard

Post by richard » Thu Oct 23, 2014 9:00 am

Communications Report 2014

2014 has been a pretty good year on the whole.

We have well over 500 on the newsletter list and that list seems to be growing each and every month. Big thanks to Tom for constantly updating this. The news letter reporting system tells me that we get about a 40% read from the emailed version, which I am lead to believe is pretty good for this type of mail out.

I am unsure of the readership that we get from the facebook and twitter links as I am yet to find a method of report finding.

Time for the Comms division is , like all other depts, a tricky thing to manage. With this in mind and the fact that one or two elements within my remit have been neglected, I have decided to recruit a couple of BDGA members to assist with the variety of communication formats. I am pleased to welcome James Luton and Seamus Scanlon on board. James will be looking after the BDGA Twitter account, Seamus will be keeping the BDGA Website up to date. The newsletter will continue and we are going to be on instagram also. It is our aim to have a cohesive stream of information available on multiple platforms. James and Seamus are offering their time to assist me on a voluntary basis so if this doesnt happen as quick as I would like please be patient. In the meantime, please consider signing up for Twitter as James has some very interesting ideas that he would like you all to get involved with! Can you please raise your hand if you are a twitter user... { } Facebook { }

Website { } Forum { } and Instagram { }

We are investigating ways of gathering disc golfing photos into one place so that everyone can access them in one place... and also post in one place... It will possibly be Instagram but we will pass on that info asap. I am very greatful to all those happy snappers out there who provide tournament photos for the newsletters, particually Dan Brown who is my Go To guy when Im not out there... cheers fella. Also a massive thanks for all those poor souls who I nag for their NL Write Ups. I couldnt get the newsletter out without all of you.

One more project that we would like to get up and running is this:

BDGA Discoverers: thanks to chris OB for this idea

we would like to get 1 member from each of the disc golf clubs around the country to report their clubs activities on a semi regular basis. We would like to put out stories every time that we put out a newsletter and also to have an update for Seamus to use for the website. what we are considering is maybe 4 articles from each club per year. I would love to have a contact for each club who would take responsibility for this content... This , we hope , would give your club a mouthpiece away from the usual FB / Club website to get your message across. If youd like to get involved, please come see me after... but have no fear , I will be nagging all and sundry to see if we can get this up and running.
BDGA #259
PDGA #8840
-------------------------------------------------------
Croydon DGC: Hyzer Cup Champions 08/09 and 2013/14